Social Psychology

shai

Sorry for getting post-happy; forgot to say I logged onto SUNY Buffalo's app and saw a big "Reject" under my status. Ah well, knew it was coming thanks to this board, so that softened the blow a bit. They didn't email to tell me to check though, I checked the site independently.

Edited by jordy

Alright guys,

I received notification from my proposed POIs from UConn, NYU, and Purdue. They told me that they have already hand picked notified all the attendees for recruitment weekend from those three schools. All three schools told me that they are, more than likely, going to pick the admitted from the handful of individuals attending this event and that official rejection letters will be sent in the mail "sometime soon" for those not invited.

The also said that the pool of applicants was "extremely competitive" this year and that most individuals were more than qualified.

Edited by Anxiously.waiting

Alright guys,

I received notification from my proposed POIs from UConn, NYU, and Purdue. They told me that they have already hand picked notified all the attendees for recruitment weekend from those three schools. All three schools told me that they are, more than likely, going to pick the admitted from the handful of individuals attending this event and that official rejection letters will be sent in the mail "sometime soon" for those not invited.

The also said that the pool of applicants was "extremely competitive" this year and that most individuals were more than qualified.

Just out of curiosity... Did you email the POIs to find this info or did they initiate? I am just wondering because I would love to have information like this about my schools, but the secretaries don't really tell me more than "they are reviewing and will send out notification as necessary"... I want to find out more, but I don't want to shoot myself in the foot by emailing the POI.

Not sure who else applied to UIC, but Dr. Bottoms told my advisor that since she is moving into administration she, sadly, has just decided that she will not be able to take on a grad student this year. So not a technical rejection yet, but at least I know to not obsess over finding out anymore and can focus on the other schools! cool.gif

Not sure who else applied to UIC, but Dr. Bottoms told my advisor that since she is moving into administration she, sadly, has just decided that she will not be able to take on a grad student this year. So not a technical rejection yet, but at least I know to not obsess over finding out anymore and can focus on the other schools! cool.gif

Have you heard anything about Linda Skitka?

Have you heard anything about Linda Skitka?

No, I have only heard from Bette. But I only applied to work with her because our interests overlap so much since I have been working under a former grad student of hers and I have been an author on a few things with her. Unfortunately she did not give any indication on when their decisions will be made.

Alright guys,

Thanks for the update (especially about Purdue).

Just out of curiosity... Did you email the POIs to find this info or did they initiate? I am just wondering because I would love to have information like this about my schools, but the secretaries don't really tell me more than "they are reviewing and will send out notification as necessary"... I want to find out more, but I don't want to shoot myself in the foot by emailing the POI.

I initiated one and received an email from the other two schools. I would be careful with this, because some advisors may be irritated at the perceived impatience on the part of the prompter. Other advisors may not look at it that way and may be more forthcoming.

I initiated one and received an email from the other two schools. I would be careful with this, because some advisors may be irritated at the perceived impatience on the part of the prompter. Other advisors may not look at it that way and may be more forthcoming.

Yeah. That is why I probably won't email any of my POIs. I just wouldn't want to give them any reason to think of me as pushy or impatient. However, I have called the secretaries every week. :)

@jordy: Sorry about Buffalo...

Thanks. I found out through Anita that my POI didn't take a student this year, so at least that information helped me not to feel too crappy (I had contacted said POI a while ago and she said she wasn't sure yet, so I knew there was a chance of this happening).

Yeah I emailed Dr. Bottoms last semester and she told me she wasn't excepting students. :(

I got an e-mail this morning saying to check the website, but when I do it still only says submitted. And when I go to the application it just says that applications for Fall 2009 were taken down on December 31, 2009, though I applied for 2010. Anyone else having this problem or have suggestions for fixing it?

Got rejected from UCLA today as well, and it looks like NYU is out too. NYU won't waitlist? Or are the interviewees who don't get in the ones on a waitlist?

i think its the latter case for NYU. their social program invited 20 people for the interview weekend so those that don't get in will prob be waitlisted.

You're welcome. I take it you also applied at Purdue? Kind of a bummer.

Yeah I did. I kinda figured that I was rejected after everyone started posting interview invites, but still I am a little disappointed.

<br />i think its the latter case for NYU. their social program invited 20 people for the interview weekend so those that don't get in will prob be waitlisted.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

I'm not really sure how it works, but 20 sounds like a lot...is that a normal amount for schools to invite? Did you apply to NYU?

Somebody said that they had applied for the personality side of the Social/Personality program at Texas and was invited to a Recruitment weekend on Feb 19. They wouldn't have two different Recruitment weekends for the same program would they? If not then I would expect this next week to be the week that they send out invitations.

Also, is there a difference between an interview weekend and a recruitment weekend as far as people the invite to come?

Somebody said that they had applied for the personality side of the Social/Personality program at Texas and was invited to a Recruitment weekend on Feb 19. They wouldn't have two different Recruitment weekends for the same program would they? If not then I would expect this next week to be the week that they send out invitations.

Also, is there a difference between an interview weekend and a recruitment weekend as far as people the invite to come?

Interviews happen before you're officially admitted. Recruitment is for people who are already in to come check out the school.

Interviews happen before you're officially admitted. Recruitment is for people who are already in to come check out the school.

I just wanted to know IF I were to get any word from Texas then what kind it would be.

Uh-uh. Just came back from my Mizzou interview (sitting in KCI right now). They call it "recruitment weekend" on all of their handouts and name badges. They also made it clear that the interview weekend is a chance for us to check them out as well as for them to check us out.