Social Psychology

shai

I woke up this morning to an e-mail from Jon Maner saying I had been accepted into FSU's social psychology program

I immediately accepted. I am speechless but so excited!!!

Congratulations!!! That is awesome. I almost applied to FSU to work with him too...great stuff there! B) All the best.

Haha Wilson was my advisor in undergrad...

I did my undergrad thesis with Wilson - he is AMAZING. Seriously - he's the best. I'm applying to schools in a different area of psychology, but if I were applying to social psych, he (along with UVA in general) would be at the top of my list.

Thanks for the info, I know they are encouraging people to respond quickly but it sounds like you should take your time to decide which program is the best fit, especially considering you are trying to decide between your two top schools. My POI is Dr. Wiener, I guess that is another thing I hadn't thought about, I don't know if the waiting list would be for the program or for Dr. Wiener's lab specifically...if it is the latter that would obviously reduce my chances so I hope isn't. How about you, who is your POI?

My POI is also Wiener.

Strange question but does anyone know if Michigan State has sent out rejection letters? I only ask this because last year I was rejected in January, and this year I have yet to hear anything, so I'm trying to figure out if I'm waitlisted or not.

has anyone goten into/heard from harvard social psychology?

-rad

Looking at results search, rejection letters typical arrive via snail mail between now and the 21st. One guy did say this though:

Harvard UniversitySocial Psychology, PhD (F10)Interview via E-mail on 13 Jan 2010A13 Jan 2010Informed of "short list" status. Sort of had an interview already.

My best guess is that if he was informed of short list back in January, they're probably (close to being) done with admissions. Accepts also typically happen around the end of February. It's not looking good for me or you, rad.

Has anyone heard from University of Tennessee, Syracuse University, Kansas State, Lehigh, or University of Missouri? I haven't heard anyone on here mention them...

Tennessee knows. You will just have to be brave enough to ask your POI. I asked and was told that I was rejected.

Looking at results search, rejection letters typical arrive via snail mail between now and the 21st. One guy did say this though:

Harvard UniversitySocial Psychology, PhD (F10)Interview via E-mail on 13 Jan 2010A13 Jan 2010Informed of "short list" status. Sort of had an interview already.

My best guess is that if he was informed of short list back in January, they're probably (close to being) done with admissions. Accepts also typically happen around the end of February. It's not looking good for me or you, rad.

Hey, I live in Boston and just got my rejection for Harvard CBB in the mail this afternoon. The letter was dated March 8th (yesterday), so you should find out soon either way. Good luck!

Has anyone heard from University of Tennessee, Syracuse University, Kansas State, Lehigh, or University of Missouri? I haven't heard anyone on here mention them...

I was invited to interview weekend at Mizzou but ultimately didn't get in because of funding (my POI didn't take anyone). I imagine things don't look good for you either if you weren't at interview weekend :(

I was invited to interview weekend at Mizzou but ultimately didn't get in because of funding (my POI didn't take anyone). I imagine things don't look good for you either if you weren't at interview weekend :(

Thanks for the info, I have unofficially interviewed with my POI but I think you are probably right about interview weekend.

Kansas State had their interview weekend back in February, which had quite a few social applicants (at least 9 for I think only 2 spots). I was one of the accepted ones, but will be declining the offer this week in favor of another school. Since there were so many social applicants, it is probably not a good sign if you haven't heard anything by now.

Kansas State had their interview weekend back in February, which had quite a few social applicants (at least 9 for I think only 2 spots). I was one of the accepted ones, but will be declining the offer this week in favor of another school. Since there were so many social applicants, it is probably not a good sign if you haven't heard anything by now.

Who is your POI at K-State?

That is fun trivia. I just thought they were at Florida...what school now?

Roy and Dianne are actually on faculty at Florida State (although people, including the discover channel, often confuse us with University of Florida) but will be on sabbatical at UCSB until August. And Congrats jhmoss1812. Can't wait to have you join the program. You might check out my posts in the Tallahassee forum (under the city guide) for apartment info!

On 3/16/2010 at 10:52 PM, moralresearcher said:

Is the WashU admit hanging around anywhere? Who was your POI?

Yep it's me again, so I'm sure you then realize who my POI at WashU is... Hope you don't hate me too much...