Social Psychology

shai

Congratulations! Do you mind saying who your POIs are?

Hi everyone! So far I have heard from:

UNC Chapel Hill (Interview) - a few weeks ago, interview on Feb 12

NYU (Interview)- earlier this week, interviews on Feb 26

Minnesota (Accepted)- a week and a half ago, visitors day on March 5-6

Ohio State (Accepted)- a week and a half ago, visitors day on March 4-7

UI Urbana Champaign (Accepted)

Yale (Accepted)- two days ago, visitors day on March 1

How do you find out that they haven't looked at your applications?

UMich apparently knew who they're admitting before my app ever hit the mail. UMass and Stony Brook POIs are not taking students, but didn't know that when I asked them. Oh well.

UMich apparently knew who they're admitting before my app ever hit the mail. UMass and Stony Brook POIs are not taking students, but didn't know that when I asked them. Oh well.

why r u so certain that umich already knew who they're admitting before they reviewed the applications? r u talking about specific profs? or the department as a whole? do you mind telling who your POIs are?

just curious, anybody here applied for UW seattle? heard back anything from them yet?

I applied. My POI told me last fall that the budget was really tight but that she hoped to take a student. From the news that the whole university is having money concerns I am not holding my breath for an acceptance.

I applied. My POI told me last fall that the budget was really tight but that she hoped to take a student. From the news that the whole university is having money concerns I am not holding my breath for an acceptance.

thanks for the info:) i had no idea what the situation is like at UW.

do you mind telling who your POI is at UW? i see you also applied for FSU? did you hear anything from them yet?

thanks for the info:) i had no idea what the situation is like at UW.

do you mind telling who your POI is at UW? i see you also applied for FSU? did you hear anything from them yet?

Kaiser at UW. I have not heard anything from FSU and neither have many of my friends who have also applied.

I would just like everybody to know that I do not know for sure about the UMich thing. I just raised the question because I know if it had happened at any of the school that I applied to I would be furious that they cherry picked through the applications looking for a certain one. However, I cannot say that I am above these people that use this "it's who you know" connection to get into a UMich. The first thing I did when I considered a school was emailed a POI. I did this for two reasons: to make sure that they are taking a student and to get my name in their mind. So I hope I didn't frustrate anybody by my post. I was just curious what yall thought.

@geichat: I am sure if you were invited to the interview weekend then they probably considered you a competitive candidate.

I would just like everybody to know that I do not know for sure about the UMich thing. I just raised the question because I know if it had happened at any of the school that I applied to I would be furious that they cherry picked through the applications looking for a certain one. However, I cannot say that I am above these people that use this "it's who you know" connection to get into a UMich. The first thing I did when I considered a school was emailed a POI. I did this for two reasons: to make sure that they are taking a student and to get my name in their mind. So I hope I didn't frustrate anybody by my post. I was just curious what yall thought.

@geichat: I am sure if you were invited to the interview weekend then they probably considered you a competitive candidate.

thanks for the info!~i was just getting a little too uptight about the upcoming interview...other than that, i think what you said does make a lot of sense. after all, it may very well be less risky for profs to take people they already know. sucks for us tho...

Do you know if the Cornell invites are being sent by the department or by POIs?

I think I saw a Cornell invite posted on the results page a while ago, too.

im not exactly sure who sent out the invitations, the only thing i know is that their interview weekend is the Feb.11th weekend.

Haidt isn't taking students.

I know, he told me when I emailed him. But he also said to apply anyway, just in case our interests match a lot, and especially if I was also interested in other professors there. Edited by Jadie

Who are your POI's from Texas/Tennessee?

my POIs are Nosek and Wilson. didnt quite get my hopes up for UVA in the first place. do you know if Nosek is taking anybody?

He said maybe, but I decided against applying because it's hard enough getting in when people are definitely taking students. I didn't need any more obstacles