2016 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Infinito

Just got my first interview! Hearing people were getting interviews from programs I applied to did get me nervous, so I agree with @Infinito and don't want to make people more anxious, but for that one post about losing your cell phone, Baylor College of Medicine (Molecular Virology and Microbiology) called and left a message and asked that I call back. No mention of an e-mail coming. Hopefully it's just this one program, but if you are worried, I believe there are ways you can check your voicemail from another phone.

On 12/14/2015 at 5:14 PM, mrpoopybutthole said:

Not saying it's not true but take those results with a grain of salt. There was someone on this thread earlier who knew a professor that's on an admissions committee that hadn't even met yet and someone had already reported they got an interview from that same program.

For what it's worth, I think the person from the survey was writing about WUSTL and not UW Seattle. They also wrote that they got the invitation on the 15th...

At any rate, from past years it looks like UW is good about sending rejections at the same time as interviews, and does both in bulk and in the near future. It's a top choice of mine, so I understand your excitement. Fingers crossed for the both of us. :)

On 12/14/2015 at 5:14 PM, mrpoopybutthole said:

Not saying it's not true but take those results with a grain of salt. There was someone on this thread earlier who knew a professor that's on an admissions committee that hadn't even met yet and someone had already reported they got an interview from that same program.

That was me! Definitely saw a survey result that was fake for a university in Boston (the ad com hasn't even met to go over apps and someone reported getting an interview).

I've tried to stop looking at the survey results - if anything, it only makes me more anxious and stressed.

Edited by kokobanana

On an unrelated note,

How badly do you guys think not taking all the recommend pre-requisites will effect my chances?  One of my schools recommends integral calculus, which isn't required for any of my majors.  I have taken several math classes, but most of them are logic based courses not calculus.  

Been lurking for the last week and just wanted to say "hey!" and maybe actually contribute more than reading.
Seeing people getting interviews through last week had me checking my email incessantly haha I applied/am applying to neuro programs so those seem to have started going out this week?

Congrats to those who've gotten interviews at different programs so far!

30 minutes ago, aaahhhmyfuture said:

On an unrelated note,

How badly do you guys think not taking all the recommend pre-requisites will effect my chances?  One of my schools recommends integral calculus, which isn't required for any of my majors.  I have taken several math classes, but most of them are logic based courses not calculus.  

Depends on how many you're missing. I'd assume most programs will make you take any missing prerequisite courses the summer before or shortly after entering. If it's just the one class I think they'll most likely just offer an acceptance conditioned on you completing the course over the summer or during the first semester. However, obviously it most likely varies by school too.

12 minutes ago, Edotdl said:

Depends on how many you're missing. I'd assume most programs will make you take any missing prerequisite courses the summer before or shortly after entering. If it's just the one class I think they'll most likely just offer an acceptance conditioned on you completing the course over the summer or during the first semester. However, obviously it most likely varies by school too.

Sometimes they're just suggestions as well, i spoke with someone about it and at that particular school they were guidelines just so that people wouldn't think they could get in after doing an english major and taking no math or science in undergrad

2 minutes ago, bdnf_13.1 said:

Sometimes they're just suggestions as well, i spoke with someone about it and at that particular school they were guidelines just so that people wouldn't think they could get in after doing an english major and taking no math or science in undergrad

True, if you're really worried you can always ask, but I don't think it'll really affect the decision.

I really wish if you weren't accepted to a program that at the same time they sent out interview invites they sent out rejections. Idk if i should give up on Vanderbilt IGP now because I didn't get an email today or if there's another wave coming :/ but it will be okay if so!! It'll all work out for the best :D 

36 minutes ago, aaahhhmyfuture said:

Thanks guys.  I'll probably call and verify because I could take it next semester instead of my probability theory course if it is truly crucial.  I hadn't really thought about Calc for microbiology programs.  

I'm in a similar situation; I haven't taken physics and I'm applying to neuro programs, most of which do not have hard prerequisites, and I'm more on the psych/neuroimaging side (I have taken TONS of neuro classes). One of my programs actually had prerequisites, so I e-mailed. They said people do get in without taking them and make them up in the first year (I'm 2.5 years out of undergrad at this point, so I'm probably not going to do it unless I am going there), but that it's a good idea to mention it in your SOP to show that you're willing to make it up.

I doubt they would tell you straight-up that you won't get in for that reason; I think they are relatively flexible for the right candidate. That being said, it looks like the school in question on my end has started notifying about interviews, and so far I haven't heard, so take it with a grain of salt...

2 minutes ago, Caffeine Junky said:

I really wish if you weren't accepted to a program that at the same time they sent out interview invites they sent out rejections. Idk if i should give up on Vanderbilt IGP now because I didn't get an email today or if there's another wave coming :/ but it will be okay if so!! It'll all work out for the best :D 

This or something better :)

7 minutes ago, biosci said:

I'm sorry :(   Their loss.  At least you already have other options and I'm sure more are on the way

thanks @biosci  i'll keep my head up!

3 minutes ago, scilinny said:

it'll be okay! you don't want to live in New Haven for 5 years anyway. 
what program are you interviewing for at UPenn? 

lol that's one way to look at it..  and immuno at upenn

1 minute ago, Metbio2016 said:

Interview from UCSD BMS this afternoon! Very excited!!!.. unfortunately the date is conflicting with my Berkeley date, so hopefully I can reschedule :( I guess there are some downsides to applying to a lot of schools. 

Congrats.  Good luck with the scheduling!

17 minutes ago, RM17 said:

I'm in a similar situation; I haven't taken physics and I'm applying to neuro programs, most of which do not have hard prerequisites, and I'm more on the psych/neuroimaging side (I have taken TONS of neuro classes). One of my programs actually had prerequisites, so I e-mailed. They said people do get in without taking them and make them up in the first year (I'm 2.5 years out of undergrad at this point, so I'm probably not going to do it unless I am going there), but that it's a good idea to mention it in your SOP to show that you're willing to make it up.

I doubt they would tell you straight-up that you won't get in for that reason; I think they are relatively flexible for the right candidate. That being said, it looks like the school in question on my end has started notifying about interviews, and so far I haven't heard, so take it with a grain of salt...

This would have been a great idea if I had noticed they had recommended pre-requisites that included calculus before I submitted my app.  Future students reading this thread, read all the tabs on your departments page carefully.  I'm hoping they really mean the *recommended* part of their sentence. 

1 minute ago, aaahhhmyfuture said:

This would have been a great idea if I had noticed they had recommended pre-requisites that included calculus before I submitted my app.  Future students reading this thread, read all the tabs on your departments page carefully.  I'm hoping they really mean the *recommended* part of their sentence. 

I think you'll be fine... if they really want you to have it, they'll have you take it there.  It won't stop you from being a candidate.