2016 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Infinito

20 hours ago, genes said:

I've been accepted to two great schools and am about to make a decision. Both are offering to fund me, but my top choice is paying a stipend that is about $700 less per year than the other choice. Both schools are in the same state.

Would it be rude to try to ask for more money before I accept the offer?

Want to start graduate school off on a bad note? That's exactly how to do it.... Tbh after taxes are taken out you are likely looking at a difference of 50 or 60 dollars a month. In the grand scheme of things it isn't much. Also have you compared other things in the package? Health insurance? Not every program covers this 100%... Also you are always allowed to apply for external funding if you want a larger stipend. 

23 minutes ago, ballwera said:

Want to start graduate school off on a bad note? That's exactly how to do it.... Tbh after taxes are taken out you are likely looking at a difference of 50 or 60 dollars a month. In the grand scheme of things it isn't much. Also have you compared other things in the package? Health insurance? Not every program covers this 100%... Also you are always allowed to apply for external funding if you want a larger stipend. 

$700 doesn't sound like a lot of money anyway. I didn't apply to PhD programs and don't know how their stipends work but that's just my two cents. I would be thankful for any admissions offer because everything is so competitive. you're lucky to be admitted at all. 

17 hours ago, shadenitro said:

Columbia Biological Sciences Wailtlist.

The notification just came in today (and I haven't been interviewed yet). Should I still be optimistic about this?

They seemed a bit unorganized to me (from what I experienced with them). 

So I would say you could still be optimistic! 

Do programs ever admit on April 15th? I'm waitlisted at my top choice (or I assume I am - still don't have a decision after interviewing 2 months ago, though they originally said I'd probably get in :/ ) and no one in the admin is replying via email / phone. It's a small program, but the research is so so cool *sigh*

Has it ever happened where schools just forget to notify / make a decision regarding an applicant? It's getting to the point where I'm wondering if I deleted their email by mistake 0_o

8 hours ago, C5aC5b said:

In off the waitlist at my #1 choice!  Accepted offer and walking around in a daze...not getting any work done today :D

Congrats to everyone and keep up hope if you're waitlisted!!!

1 hour ago, AgingBio123 said:

Me too! I can't believe it! Don't lose hope everyone!

Where did y'all hear back from? 

@sarahjc, Same!  I know they have a lot going on, but I just want to start figuring out next year!  I haven't heard hardly anything since accepting my offer.  And I know the on campus housing sign up deadline is in less than a month now, so we better get info soon!  

It is nice to know my program isn't the only one that has been quiet.

29 minutes ago, HopefulPHD14 said:

@sarahjc, Same!  I know they have a lot going on, but I just want to start figuring out next year!  I haven't heard hardly anything since accepting my offer.  And I know the on campus housing sign up deadline is in less than a month now, so we better get info soon!  

It is nice to know my program isn't the only one that has been quiet.

My program's been quiet too. I think it's probably fairly common for them to wait until their matriculating class is finalized and then relaying the same information to everyone at the same time. 

You know, it's shocking that I only just heard from a program yesterday, and one still hasn't given me a decision since the interview. I've already accepted another offer but like come on. You can't give even an estimated chance of getting in? That's embarrassing. God forbid I was some kid waiting to get in somewhere without anywhere else to go... It's actually kind of unprofessional. 

Funny story. Yesterday I got an email from one of my programs saying an official decision has been made on my application and I remember thinking Hm that's weird, I was accepted there 5 months ago and declined it. Well the official letter said that unfortunately my application had been rejected....nice try school. Haha. 

So I have a "Decision Day" story... I received an email telling me my application to the University of Tennessee was withdrawn... upon my request.  I didn't request that!  Back in January, my old PI there emailed me and said he heard about my acceptance and he assumed I was going to accept there.  It was so weird, but now, looking back, I feel like he was trying to feel me out to see if I wanted an interview at UTK.  He mentioned in the email that Skype interview notifications would be forthcoming.

Let's just ignore the fact that he didn't get the information from Vanderbilt's administration because it's AGAINST FEDERAL LAW so he must have asked a faculty friend there.  And that they forged my request to withdraw.  Tsk Tsk Tsk UTK.

(Oh, and Tennessee isn't in my signature because I was so weirded out by the whole exchange AND after I emailed him back my application portal got locked and said that I didn't have a saved application anymore.  I guessed they must have deleted it.)

Edited by biochemgirl67

10 hours ago, biochemgirl67 said:

So I have a "Decision Day" story... I received an email telling me my application to the University of Tennessee was withdrawn... upon my request.  I didn't request that!  Back in January, my old PI there emailed me and said he heard about my acceptance and he assumed I was going to accept there.  It was so weird, but now, looking back, I feel like he was trying to feel me out to see if I wanted an interview at UTK.  He mentioned in the email that Skype interview notifications would be forthcoming.

Let's just ignore the fact that he didn't get the information from Vanderbilt's administration because it's AGAINST FEDERAL LAW so he must have asked a faculty friend there.  And that they forged my request to withdraw.  Tsk Tsk Tsk UTK.

(Oh, and Tennessee isn't in my signature because I was so weirded out by the whole exchange AND after I emailed him back my application portal got locked and said that I didn't have a saved application anymore.  I guessed they must have deleted it.)

Did your old PI from UTK write you a letter for your Vanderbilt application? Apparently Vandy sends letters to all of your letter writers as well (I was confused because my boss told me about my Vanderbilt admission before I had even checked my email - he also said Vandy sent him a nice letter).

On 4/21/2016 at 11:09 AM, Gram Neutral said:

Funny story. Yesterday I got an email from one of my programs saying an official decision has been made on my application and I remember thinking Hm that's weird, I was accepted there 5 months ago and declined it. Well the official letter said that unfortunately my application had been rejected....nice try school. Haha. 

Same thing happened to me last year, only I got the e-mail while I was sitting in my 1st grad school lecture. These programs are crazy you'd think they'd be more on top of things.

3 hours ago, immuno91 said:

Did your old PI from UTK write you a letter for your Vanderbilt application? Apparently Vandy sends letters to all of your letter writers as well (I was confused because my boss told me about my Vanderbilt admission before I had even checked my email - he also said Vandy sent him a nice letter).

Yes he did!  That explains it, although I am still very displeased that UTK would forge my withdrawal without even asking.  It's pretty crappy.

I posted about this a couple weeks ago. Tennessee said I withdrew my application after I was accepted and turned them done. I also get a rejection letter for another school I had turned down dated the day they received my decline of offer. It seems this is fairly common

• 7 months later...

Undergrad Institution: University of Engineering and Technology , Lahore (The best for engineering and technology in Pakistan)
Major(s): Computer Science
Minor(s): n/a
GPA in Major:n/a
Overall GPA:2.606
Position in Class:average
Type of Student: (International, female, muslim)

GRE Scores (revised/old version):
Q:147
V:153
W:4/6
B:??

TOEFL Total: have to attempt it, but i expect a good score. IELTS 7.5/9

Research Experience: Research on medical imaging, image processing and bioinformatics for detection of cancers, glioma, and enhancing medical images. 

Awards/Honors/Recognitions:  none

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: research assistant for four months, Business analyst for four months in a NASDAQ company. 

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: None

Special Bonus Points: None

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter:

Applying to Where: 

NYU Tandon (MSc. Computer Science)

York University (toronto)(MSc. Computer Science)

Queen's University (MSc. Computer Science)

Reyerson's (MSc. Computer Science)

University of Manitoba (MSc. Computer Science)

5 minutes ago, Hnk11 said:

Undergrad Institution: University of Engineering and Technology , Lahore (The best for engineering and technology in Pakistan)
Major(s): Computer Science
Minor(s): n/a
GPA in Major:n/a
Overall GPA:2.606
Position in Class:average
Type of Student: (International, female, muslim)

GRE Scores (revised/old version):
Q:147
V:153
W:4/6
B:??

TOEFL Total: have to attempt it, but i expect a good score. IELTS 7.5/9

Research Experience: Research on medical imaging, image processing and bioinformatics for detection of cancers, glioma, and enhancing medical images. 

Awards/Honors/Recognitions:  none

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: research assistant for four months, Business analyst for four months in a NASDAQ company. 

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: None

Special Bonus Points: None

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter:

Applying to Where: 

NYU Tandon (MSc. Computer Science)

York University (toronto)(MSc. Computer Science)

Queen's University (MSc. Computer Science)

Reyerson's (MSc. Computer Science)

University of Manitoba (MSc. Computer Science)

you posted in the wrong post......