2016 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Infinito

Just got accepted to TCU MS Biology and UNT Health Science Center MS Microbiology, Immunology, & Cell Biology program! Really big thanks to all programs I am considering, but I am declining their offers. I decided to commit to The University of Texas at Dallas MS Molecular Cell Biology! After MS, on to Ph.D. Can't wait to start grad school in the fall! Best of luck to everyone waiting for decisions and making their decisions!

On 3/9/2016 at 6:13 PM, Metbio2016 said:

Has anyone heard back from Stanford Biosciences and if so, what home program?

Hey everyone, new to the forum – has anyone heard back from Stanford Neuroscience? I saw one person post on the results page, but that was about it.

Thanks!

quick in general - if you got nominated for a fellowship, they would usually put it on the admission letter/ the email?

I think that's it for me for this application cycle. good luck to everyone!

1 hour ago, mwgskol said:

quick in general - if you got nominated for a fellowship, they would usually put it on the admission letter/ the email?

I think that's it for me for this application cycle. good luck to everyone!

Not necessarily.  I was notified of a fellowship a couple weeks after they offered me acceptance at one school.

On 3/12/2016 at 9:43 PM, Gram Positive said:

So glad to have completed all these wonderful interviews! Getting pretty close to a decision here. Now on to waiting for the GRFP :) 

@Gram Positive I've heard such fun stuff about NIH OxCam!! Dang you have some cool options lined up there - Which one are you leaning towards? 

On 3/11/2016 at 6:16 PM, Ferroportin said:

Just officially committed to UCSF BMS! So glad to be done...

Lovely program - congratulations! I had an interview at WashU with this PI who did his PhD from UCSF and as you can imagine 75% of my interview was about how brilliant a program UCSF has. I was like which program are you exactly selling? :lol::lol:

On 3/2/2016 at 11:48 AM, ms_green_genes said:

Thanks, Sarah! Maybe she's on a wait list or something. She got offers super-fast from UNC and UCLA. It's hard waitIng on these last 3. Maybe more so for me, since she really loved UNC.

Did your daughter ever hear back from Vanderbilt? 

I ended up accepting a different offer from a program that I felt like it was a much stronger fit. Interestingly though I still haven't heard back since my 1/30 interview weekend.

okay, kind of late but let me put my results on here as well, maybe it will help some people planning to apply in the future get an idea

Undergrad Institution: University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Major(s):  Molecular and Cellular Biology
Minor(s): Chemistry
GPA in Major: 3.47(at the time of application, 3.44 now)
Overall GPA: 3.45(at the time of application,3.48 now)
Position in Class: maybe above average, no clue though
Type of Student: International,  with US degree

GRE Scores (revised/old version):
Q: 158
V: 158
W: 4.0
B:

TOEFL Total: almost none of the programs i applied to wanted a toefl score because i have a us degree, couldnt apply to some programs because it was too late when i realized they required a toefl score regardless

Research Experience: Working in a genetics lab since the start of my junior year so it would be 4 semesters at the time of graduation...also did some brief internships back home during the summer of 2015 and 2014 in a commercial genetics lab that did testing and a biochemistry lab- no publications though

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: 

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Nothing outside of research

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: may write a senior thesis this year

Special Bonus Points: n/a

Applying to Where:

for PhD applicatons:

UC Berkeley MCB- this was reaching very hard, i got rejected anyway on 14th of january

Yale BBS- also reaching, i got rejected

Northwestern IBIS- still waiting for a decision, probably not going to get admitted though(interviewed)

UIUC MCB- rejected on late january :(

UIC MCDB/Neuroscience- rejected(with interview  )

WashU DBBS- rejected

accepted into two masters programs in the UK at King's College London and Imperial College London. going to try my luck again after i complete my masters, hopefully with better GRE scores, more experience, better personal statement, maybe publications and a slightly higher undergrad gpa.

1 hour ago, burcet said:

okay, kind of late but let me put my results on here as well, maybe it will help some people planning to apply in the future get an idea

Undergrad Institution: University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Major(s):  Molecular and Cellular Biology
Minor(s): Chemistry
GPA in Major: 3.47(at the time of application, 3.44 now)
Overall GPA: 3.45(at the time of application,3.48 now)
Position in Class: maybe above average, no clue though
Type of Student: International,  with US degree

GRE Scores (revised/old version):
Q: 158
V: 158
W: 4.0
B:

TOEFL Total: almost none of the programs i applied to wanted a toefl score because i have a us degree, couldnt apply to some programs because it was too late when i realized they required a toefl score regardless

Research Experience: Working in a genetics lab since the start of my junior year so it would be 4 semesters at the time of graduation...also did some brief internships back home during the summer of 2015 and 2014 in a commercial genetics lab that did testing and a biochemistry lab- no publications though

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: 

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Nothing outside of research

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: may write a senior thesis this year

Special Bonus Points: n/a

Applying to Where:

for PhD applicatons:

UC Berkeley MCB- this was reaching very hard, i got rejected anyway on 14th of january

Yale BBS- also reaching, i got rejected

Northwestern IBIS- still waiting for a decision, probably not going to get admitted though(interviewed)

UIUC MCB- rejected on late january :(

UIC MCDB/Neuroscience- rejected(with interview  )

WashU DBBS- rejected

accepted into two masters programs in the UK at King's College London and Imperial College London. going to try my luck again after i complete my masters, hopefully with better GRE scores, more experience, better personal statement, maybe publications and a slightly higher undergrad gpa.

UIUC just doesn't want to take back its own ;-) haha. The whole University of Illinois system also didn't want me(fellow UIUC). Don't feel too bad. I am sure after your master's you will get into a good school. You actually applied to mostly super competitive programs. If you had thrown in some safety schools you might have gotten into them, so don't think of yourself as a bad candidate. 

1 hour ago, burcet said:

I have a couple friends at Imperial's Biomedical research program and they are really enjoying it there. Good news is it's short and should prepare you well! Good luck for the NU decision! Being an international candidate must be very rough as you seem qualified for some schools that you've listed.

3 hours ago, Gram Neutral said:

UIUC just doesn't want to take back its own ;-) haha. The whole University of Illinois system also didn't want me(fellow UIUC). Don't feel too bad. I am sure after your master's you will get into a good school. You actually applied to mostly super competitive programs. If you had thrown in some safety schools you might have gotten into them, so don't think of yourself as a bad candidate. 

yeah, for uiuc the program coordinator told me that they invite very few of their own for interviews because they want us to "go and explore other opportunities". i will try my luck again though with an improved application. i like it here.

2 hours ago, adiJ said:

I have a couple friends at Imperial's Biomedical research program and they are really enjoying it there. Good news is it's short and should prepare you well! Good luck for the NU decision! Being an international candidate must be very rough as you seem qualified for some schools that you've listed.

oh thank you guys i just think phd applications can be kinda unpredictable and i really wanted to get into a top program for my phd. thats why i didnt apply to lots of safety schools. although i am questioning that reasoning now because its probably way more important to find good potential pi's. i felt bad about it but relieved with my masters decisions because both are supposed to be really good schools. 

I've been trying to turn down schools as soon as I know I'm not going there to open the spot for people on the waiting list. I got an official offer letter in the mail from Pitt and I signed it and returned my decline of offer as soon as I got into my second choice. I got an email that they received it February 18th. Last week I got an official rejection letter in the mail from Pitt dated February 18th. I thought it was weird and then yesterday I got an email from Tennessee that the program told the graduate school I withdrew my application after I turned down that offer too. It seems like ethically gray area stuff that schools are doing to improve their acceptance rate. Has anything like this happened to anyone else?

1 hour ago, Sarahjc said:

I've been trying to turn down schools as soon as I know I'm not going there to open the spot for people on the waiting list. I got an official offer letter in the mail from Pitt and I signed it and returned my decline of offer as soon as I got into my second choice. I got an email that they received it February 18th. Last week I got an official rejection letter in the mail from Pitt dated February 18th. I thought it was weird and then yesterday I got an email from Tennessee that the program told the graduate school I withdrew my application after I turned down that offer too. It seems like ethically gray area stuff that schools are doing to improve their acceptance rate. Has anything like this happened to anyone else?

It could also be something like, they have to formally clear you out of their system before they can offer a spot to someone else? Just a guess