2016 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Infinito

2 hours ago, ms_green_genes said:

Integrated Program in CMBS.

7 minutes ago, PASD693 said:

Just stressing since I got an unofficial acceptance (email) but haven't received the official letter yet :(. Hoping it's just a delay in processing!

I received an offer from them 2/24 but haven't gotten the official grad school one yet either. 

1 hour ago, Earl said:

For those interviewing at Stanford Biosciences later this week: has anyone gotten their interview schedules yet???  I hope they send out in advance!

I got my schedule for Micro and Immuno a couple days ago. 

20 hours ago, Purkinje said:

Question: do you guys typically send thank you emails to the program directors, or just to the faculty who interviewed you?

If you talked to anyone for more than just a few minutes, you should drop them a quick note thanking them for their help, expressing interest (if you want to go there), and maybe asking a follow-up question. This is mostly limited to faculty and perhaps the administrative assistant that got you to and from your interview, but you can also send one to the student who hosted/toured you around if you had one. You'll totally make their day, and if it is a school that takes reviews from its current students, it may help you. It definitely does help for you to at the very least email the professors you talked with at interviews. Those are often used as a final measure of true interest, and schools want to offer to the students that are qualified, but also likely to come to their program.

I toured several students around, this year. I heard from 2 of them post-interview, and I let the adcom know how nice those applicants were. ^_^

Edited by biotechie

1 hour ago, biotechie said:

If you talked to anyone for more than just a few minutes, you should drop them a quick note thanking them for their help, expressing interest (if you want to go there), and maybe asking a follow-up question. This is mostly limited to faculty and perhaps the administrative assistant that got you to and from your interview, but you can also send one to the student who hosted/toured you around if you had one. You'll totally make their day, and if it is a school that takes reviews from its current students, it may help you. It definitely does help for you to at the very least email the professors you talked with at interviews. Those are often used as a final measure of true interest, and schools want to offer to the students that are qualified, but also likely to come to their program.

I toured several students around, this year. I heard from 2 of them post-interview, and I let the adcom know how nice those applicants were. ^_^

Awesome! Thanks amigo :) I appreciate it.

20 hours ago, pcc2129 said:

I received an offer from them 2/24 but haven't gotten the official grad school one yet either. 

Re: Columbia Integrated I did actually get the official offer 2/25 just didn't come from an official looking email so missed it. 

As of last weekend, I'm officially done with interviews! It feels pretty good to not have to stress about having to travel and balance interviews with my studies. I'm also incredibly satisfied with the results (4/7 acceptances)! I wish the best of luck to those that are still interviewing/ have yet to hear back from some places. :D

Now to decide where I want to spend the next 4+ years of my life lol

Waitlisted from Princeton. Will decline. Good luck with the waitlist!

Edited by adiJ

22 minutes ago, adiJ said:

Waitlisted from Princeton. Will decline. Good luck with the waitlist!

Hey me too!  I think my inner, "wow I do not like this place omg please let me go home" probably was visible.  Good luck to anyone on the waitlist who wants to go there!

23 hours ago, dinny said:

I'm good friends with a current PHD student at columbia maybe i can help you guys?

The official acceptance letter from Columbia's Biological Sciences mentions that I was named as a Dean's Fellow.

Does you friend know what that is? Does it provide additional financial support?

Thanks.

On 2/29/2016 at 3:38 PM, ms_green_genes said:

Is Vandy ever going to tell anybody anything? Still waiting to hear after the January 29-30 weekend, when an answer was predicted to come by February 8. Also waiting on Duke and Columbia. 

I interviewed at Duke with your daughter. I got a call that I was accepted on Friday and got the official email Monday. She might be able to check the decision on the applicant web page. My official acceptance from the school came from that. 

On 2/25/2016 at 11:11 AM, aspal24 said:

Has anyone received an acceptance/rejection notification yet from either U. Iowa's MCB, or University of Kentucky's Biology doctorate program?

Hey I got an acceptance from Univ. of Iowa for MCB on 24th February. I interviewed with them on 19th February. When was your interview?

I asked about it before but gonna make it more specific:d  Has any international heard back from Columbia-Biological Sciences after first interview?

I don't know if this will be helpful for anybody asking about Columbia, but I interviewed with their Biological Sciences umbrella program last year.  I went to their first interview weekend that was at the end of January and didn't hear a single thing from them until I was rejected months later at the end of March.  I just assumed I was rejected and didn't bother emailing or calling because I didn't like the program anyways.  So I don't know if that is how they always do things, but that was my experience with them. 

2 hours ago, zoruha said:

I asked about it before but gonna make it more specific:d  Has any international heard back from Columbia-Biological Sciences after first interview?

I believe that the last interview weekend for Columbia Biological Sciences is some time near mid-March, so maybe they are waiting to finish all the interviews before sending out any offers?

I emailed one the Columbia Biological Sciences program to ask about the status of my application and they said it was still under review. Yet I haven't heard anything about interviews or what not ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

7 hours ago, levodopa said:

I emailed one the Columbia Biological Sciences program to ask about the status of my application and they said it was still under review. Yet I haven't heard anything about interviews or what not ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

They said same to me but the problem is I am international and I just had 1 skype interview, it went very well. However, I dont think that they would accept someone just with 1 interview and I have not heard anything since the first interview (it was more than 2 weeks ago). The PI that I spoke with told me that they were gonna invite internationals to on campus interview. That is why I should have been informed about decision by this time since as other people stated, the last on campus interview  is some time near mid-March.I am really wondering whether they invited internationals to NYC last year or before then!!!

20 hours ago, RAP said:

Hey I got an acceptance from Univ. of Iowa for MCB on 24th February. I interviewed with them on 19th February. When was your interview?

I interviewed on the 19th, too, but received a rejection email from them Thursday. Really liked the program, and thought the interviews went well, but I guess not...

21 hours ago, Sarahjc said:

I interviewed at Duke with your daughter. I got a call that I was accepted on Friday and got the official email Monday. She might be able to check the decision on the applicant web page. My official acceptance from the school came from that. 

Thanks, Sarah! Maybe she's on a wait list or something. She got offers super-fast from UNC and UCLA. It's hard waitIng on these last 3. Maybe more so for me, since she really loved UNC.

I interviewed at UNC on the 18th feb. Absolute radio silence on the survey till yesterday since February 15th. Emailed a prof a few days after the interview and he said my app wasn't up for discussion until late this week so I probably wouldn't hear back until late next week... but fuck this wait.