2016 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Infinito

11 minutes ago, Earl said:

For writing emails to decline offers, is it alright to not say where you plan on attending?

One school responded that the NIH requires them to report where we decided to go. 

Just waiting to see if I get off the wait list at Northwestern DGP and see what happens in Madison this weekend. Really hoping NW works out because its my first choice and would make the decision making process... simpler.

Very glad that the end of the interviews themselves is approaching. Mostly because they're exhausting, but in large part because I can't really afford to miss much more school. Not sure how people do 5+ of these things.

1 hour ago, Earl said:

For writing emails to decline offers, is it alright to not say where you plan on attending?

You've heard back from BU PIBS? :o

I emailed with them back in January and have yet to hear anything...

8 hours ago, levodopa said:

I interviewed in February, and have yet to hear anything back haha.  

I'm about to give up on Vanderbilt at this point. Interviewed the weekend of Jan 29th and haven't heard back. I got my refund check so they know I exist but I just wish I'd get an official email or something. :(

Also haven't heard back from UMich MCDB, and I know they've sent out a lot of acceptances already, but I'll hold out for another week or so.

Still waiting on UVA BIMS but since I interviewed there the 18th-20th I'm sure they're still working on decisions!

47 minutes ago, YouCantBcereus said:

I'm about to give up on Vanderbilt at this point. Interviewed the weekend of Jan 29th and haven't heard back. I got my refund check so they know I exist but I just wish I'd get an official email or something. :(

Also haven't heard back from UMich MCDB, and I know they've sent out a lot of acceptances already, but I'll hold out for another week or so.

Still waiting on UVA BIMS but since I interviewed there the 18th-20th I'm sure they're still working on decisions!

how did you like UVA?

also i've been looking at results for vandy (i'm going next week and freaking out cause that seems so late) and it seems they gave out offers to people that interviewed after that big weekend, which is really weird.

23 minutes ago, Effloresce said:

how did you like UVA?

also i've been looking at results for vandy (i'm going next week and freaking out cause that seems so late) and it seems they gave out offers to people that interviewed after that big weekend, which is really weird.

I interviewed at and admitted to UVA and loved it! Program is very personal, but not too small. Really like the DGS who ran my interview (Joel hockensmith. Friendly and happy profs and students. And cville obviously is great 

4 minutes ago, dinny said:

I interviewed at and admitted to UVA and loved it! Program is very personal, but not too small. Really like the DGS who ran my interview (Joel hockensmith. Friendly and happy profs and students. And cville obviously is great 

yeah, i went back in january and have an offer from UVA too! i loved the program, but vandy is another one of my top choices so i'm waiting to see how i like it down in nashville. :)

30 minutes ago, Effloresce said:

how did you like UVA?

I loved UVA! I love how strong they are in infectious disease research, all the professors I met with were great, I loved charlottesville, and I had a really good time. I hope I get accepted, as of now (post all interviews) I believe my top 2 schools I'd want to attend are UVA and UGA.

I really liked Vandy and that interview weekend definitely set the bar high for the other schools. But this whole taking forever to hear back thing is irritating, and as much as I enjoyed Nashville I don't know if I'd love living there. UMich was wonderful and I loved the program. But its so far away from where I am and get so cold, I again I don't know if I'd be really happy living there.

I'm sure you're fine interviewing later, iirc Vandy accepts a high majority of those who they interview as the program is really big!!

12 minutes ago, YouCantBcereus said:

I loved UVA! I love how strong they are in infectious disease research, all the professors I met with were great, I loved charlottesville, and I had a really good time. I hope I get accepted, as of now (post all interviews) I believe my top 2 schools I'd want to attend are UVA and UGA.

I really liked Vandy and that interview weekend definitely set the bar high for the other schools. But this whole taking forever to hear back thing is irritating, and as much as I enjoyed Nashville I don't know if I'd love living there. UMich was wonderful and I loved the program. But its so far away from where I am and get so cold, I again I don't know if I'd be really happy living there.

I'm sure you're fine interviewing later, iirc Vandy accepts a high majority of those who they interview as the program is really big!!

awesome! the only thing kinda worrying me about UVA is the timing..i end my current position in mid-June and they start beginning of July so it's very little time to transition. 

yeah, that's kinda weird that it's taking so long for vandy to get back to you..i hope you hear back soon! everyone seems to love vandy so I'm feeling pretty positive about the program already based on others' experiences and what I've been reading. :)

Can you speak more to their infectious disease strength? I was admitted thru bio chem and molecular genetics but that's not my main area of interesr

39 minutes ago, YouCantBcereus said:

16 hours ago, levodopa said:

8 hours ago, Earl said:

I interviewed in February, and have yet to hear anything back haha.  

I interviewed in the second weekend, heard back Feb 17th (although the website still hasn't allowed me to submit my decision, I'll probably just email in). They did say that you should be getting a response within 2 weeks of the interview either way, if you haven't heard maybe check your spam folder or I guess it could be a waitlist? Weird

6 minutes ago, biochemm said:

I interviewed in the second weekend, heard back Feb 17th (although the website still hasn't allowed me to submit my decision, I'll probably just email in). They did say that you should be getting a response within 2 weeks of the interview either way, if you haven't heard maybe check your spam folder or I guess it could be a waitlist? Weird

I know their acceptance rate was pretty low relative to other interview weekends. 

And I've been checking everywhere but still nothing. It's just weird that I've already heard back from everywhere else I've interviewed. Just not the first one. 

20 minutes ago, biochemm said:

are you planning to attend bu pibs?

13 minutes ago, ForScience! said:

It's official - I have declined all of my other offers, and decided to go with Columbia's Pathobiology and Molecular Medicine program! :D

Lol I thought you'd have been bored of Columbia's labs by now :lol: Congrats though!

1 hour ago, Bioenchilada said:

It's official. I'm going to Penn!! (Cancer Biology)

14 minutes ago, ForScience! said:

It's official - I have declined all of my other offers, and decided to go with Columbia's Pathobiology and Molecular Medicine program! :D

yay! so exciting! :)

Congratulations to all those with acceptances!  I'm especially happy for you if you're able to make a final decision.  

I found out I'm wait-listed at my #1 choice but I have two other offers from excellent programs.  The email was rather generic and didn't include specifics as to the size of the list or my position in the stable.  Anyone have any suggestions on finding this information?  I'm hesitant to email coordinators as I'm sure they are deluged with similar inquiries...

18 minutes ago, C5aC5b said:

Congratulations to all those with acceptances!  I'm especially happy for you if you're able to make a final decision.  

I found out I'm wait-listed at my #1 choice but I have two other offers from excellent programs.  The email was rather generic and didn't include specifics as to the size of the list or my position in the stable.  Anyone have any suggestions on finding this information?  I'm hesitant to email coordinators as I'm sure they are deluged with similar inquiries...

I think its fair to ask for a few more details like the length of the wait list and your position on it. I asked the Northwestern person a few more questions about the wait list and while they didn't have a ton more information to share they were able to give me the length of it and some information about how the wait list process works on their end (ranked, unranked, etc). 

I think as long as you word the email politely and tell them your interest is because the school is your first choice they'll be a bit more amenable to your inquiry.

Edited by lord_dracarys

2 hours ago, Microburritology said:

Lol I thought you'd have been bored of Columbia's labs by now :lol: Congrats though!

Haha, nah not yet :P I have only been working here at the Columbia Medical Center for about a year and a half, and I enjoy the atmosphere. I figure, why try to fix something that definitely ain't broken? The Pathobiology and Molecular Medicine program is great in the sense that it's a decently small program (~ 6 students matriculate each year) so the graduate school is very attentive to every student's needs, there are lots of PI's here doing very interesting cancer biology research (which is what I think I want to pursue a PhD on), and lastly, the coursework seemed very engaging! All in all, a pretty good match for me :)

I wish Dartmouth would update me on their decision though - It has been more about 2.5 weeks since I visited there and it's been complete radio silence. Not that I would attend Dartmouth, but it would be cool to have some closure.