2016 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Infinito

1 minute ago, Superres said:

Congrats! I'm with you and would totally take that as a sign to accept the offer from Vandy!

I'm so happy!  I've been dying to write the email to them and accept!!!! 

1 minute ago, michi1987 said:

Seems like it was meant to be! Congratulations on your decision!!

Thank you guys!  I'm so happy.  Me a year ago couldn't even imagine feeling like I would want to turn down names like Princeton and Rockefeller for Vanderbilt, but I have no reservations.  funding, fit, research, location, atmosphere, connections... for me, Vanderbilt has it all!

5 minutes ago, biochemgirl67 said:

Thank you guys!  I'm so happy.  Me a year ago couldn't even imagine feeling like I would want to turn down names like Princeton and Rockefeller for Vanderbilt, but I have no reservations.  funding, fit, research, location, atmosphere, connections... for me, Vanderbilt has it all!

I couldn't agree more! For grad school, I feel like the "name" of the school is definitely not as important as the "fit". I'm primarily looking for programs where I can get great training! Not just learning cool techniques (though there is something to be said about using sexy new techniques), but learning how to think and troubleshoot like a scientist. At least, that's my plan. :)

I'm definitely also considering location and cost of living! 5-7 years is a good portion of my life and I want to enjoy it as much as possible.

Edited by Superres

4 minutes ago, Superres said:

I couldn't agree more! For grad school, I feel like the "name" of the school is definitely not as important as the "fit". I'm primarily looking for programs where I can get great training! Not just learning cool techniques (though there is something to be said about using sexy new techniques), but learning how to think and troubleshoot like a scientist. At least, that's my plan. :)

If every up and coming applicant could see this, I would be so happy.  I just think so much gets lost in the name game!

I just gave a presentation to the Biochem club tonight about summer research, graduate applications, and life and feel like so many people forget that a name isn't even the half of it.

On 7/21/2015 at 4:42 PM, Infinito said:

Undergrad Institution: Big State School
Major(s): Comp Sci
Minor(s): None
GPA in Major: 3.69
Overall GPA: 3.82
Position in Class: Above average
Type of Student: Domestic Male

GRE Scores (revised/old version): Revised
Q: 160
V: 154
W: 4.5

Undergrad Institution: Liberal Arts/Research
Major(s): Anthropology
Minor(s): Psychology (undergrad only)
GPA in Major: 10/12 (Undergrad); 3.88/4 (Grad)
Overall GPA: 8.75/12; 3.88/4 (Grad)
Position in Class: Above average in undergrad; Average to above average in Grad
Type of Student: Domestic Male

GRE Scores (revised/old version): Revised
Q: 148
V: 152
W: 4.5

19 hours ago, Effloresce said:

nope, there's an interview weekend on 3/4 and 3/18 as well. i'm going to the latter and it seems so far awayyyyyy

Well, I guess we'll hear back by April ;) Best of luck and enjoy the weekend. Vandy is an exciting place!

11 hours ago, biochemgirl67 said:

So... American canceled my flights to Rockefeller and rebooked me on a flight that left today... at 2:15 pm.  So I called them and I literally couldn't get a flight into New York without paying $300 more.  I cancelled my flights and got a refund and am not going to Rockefeller.

Weirdly enough, I feel relieved.  I knew I didn't want to live in NYC.  And now, I get to email Vanderbilt tomorrow morning to accept!

congrats!!! everyone says wonderful things about vandy so i'm crossing my fingers that I love the visit and get an offer from them. 

I'm so happy!  I've been dying to write the email to them and accept!!!! 

I'm so glad to hear that you feel so positive about your decision! Nashville is truly a wonderful city, and Vandy is a fabulous school. The beautiful Smoky Mountains are just a short drive away and the Alabama Gulf Coast with beautiful beaches is an easy day's drive away, too. 

If every up and coming applicant could see this, I would be so happy.  I just think so much gets lost in the name game!

I just gave a presentation to the Biochem club tonight about summer research, graduate applications, and life and feel like so many people forget that a name isn't even the half of it.

I find this funny as well save the names for a postdoc (if at all) to be honest. I was surprised to see that the majority of the faculty in my dept. didn't go to "top" schools ( this is at an R1 fwiw). Everything is about finding the right project and the right PI, and as many find out, trying to work with the biggest name PI isn't always the best either. You get out of grad school what you put into it IMHO. If you are productive and doing impactful work, you'll be fine regardless of where you go to school. Just my 2 cents. 

5 hours ago, aspal24 said:

Has anyone received an acceptance/rejection notification yet from either U. Iowa's MCB, or University of Kentucky's Biology doctorate program?

I interviewed for U Iowa Immunology last week (18-20th) and haven't heard back yet. The program director said that we could expect to hear back "pretty soon". I'd assume the admissions committee needs at least a full week to meet and choose applicants so I wouldn't worry too much, just keep an eye on those survey results!

42 minutes ago, Focus said:

Also, I just got accepted into OHSU's PMCB program.
Feeling quite happy with myself as I loved the campus, city, program, and faculty when I visited. 

Which session did you attend?

Daughter just got accepted into UCLA's GPB Genetics and Genomics Home Area.

She interviewed at Duke and Columbia this past weekend. She and another girl were Columbia's last two interviews on Monday, so I guess decisions will be coming soon. (Neither of them could make any of the scheduled interview weekends.)

11 hours ago, keviv1692 said:

Got accepted into the University of Massachusetts Medical School's PhD program, where I will have an opportunity to work with the 2006 Nobel Laureate, Prof. Craig Mello. Thank you for all your wishes ‪#‎headingtoUSA‬ ‪#‎Fall2016‬ ‪#‎VAMOS‬

Congrats 

#How to politely refuse a potential offer.

I have concluded my application. Although I am still waiting for official rejection from MIT but at some point I need to stop kidding myself. 

I did two interviews (out of three programs I have applied so pretty good) and already accepted by school N and is 99% sure I will also get one from school P. However I already accept offer from N and need to refuse the potential offer from P. I found it a little hard to do because of the following.

I am an international and P offered me a Skype interview at first. I told them I will be in States because of interview from N and hoped to visit on campus. They immediately offered me round trip flights to their city from the city of N. They also booked me two nights at Hilton Hotel. They actually spend more money on me than P (P has a $500 budget for flights and round trip from N to P cost more than $500 and P bought everything). Interview at N ends at Friday and interview at P is arranged the next Tuesday so I do not feel I did a bad thing 'cause I am not sure I will get into N before the interview (though I knew immediately after the interview). However I found it difficult to tell the coordinator in P that I am not coming. She told me they have an event in March so I expected the offer comes after that. What should I do? Tell her they do not need to consider me now or wait for the offer and click decline silently?

Edited by Yav Friendly

2 hours ago, Yav Friendly said:

I have concluded my application. Although I am still waiting for official rejection from MIT but at some point I need to stop kidding myself. 

I did two interviews (out of three programs I have applied so pretty good) and already accepted by school N and is 99% sure I will also get one from school P. However I already accept offer from N and need to refuse the potential offer from P. I found it a little hard to do because of the following.

I am an international and P offered me a Skype interview at first. I told them I will be in States because of interview from N and hoped to visit on campus. They immediately offered me round trip flights to their city from the city of N. They also booked me two nights at Hilton Hotel. They actually spend more money on me than P (P has a $500 budget for flights and round trip from N to P cost more than $500 and P bought everything). Interview at N ends at Friday and interview at P is arranged the next Tuesday so I do not feel I did a bad thing 'cause I am not sure I will get into N before the interview (though I knew immediately after the interview). However I found it difficult to tell the coordinator in P that I am not coming. She told me they have an event in March so I expected the offer comes after that. What should I do? Tell her they do not need to consider me now or wait for the offer and click decline silently?

I think you ought to just wait until you've been accepted (or not) from this other school, then politely decline. No point in jumping the gun before you have been accepted. 

On 2/22/2016 at 3:11 PM, Microburritology said:

Well then its not possible that you've heard back. We were clearly told by the Dean that the decisions will be released the first week of March.

But really though, why would you take the pains of creating a profile just to troll people? Is your life really that sad?

Edited by thorerges

4 hours ago, Yav Friendly said:

I received an official rejection from both the programs I applied to at MIT back in Jan. If you haven't been rejected yet, I think they're either A) Very late on your application for some reason or B ) Just looking at a potential waitlist.