2016 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Infinito

1 hour ago, biosci1993 said:

I interviewed 1/30 and there are a handful of us that haven't heard back yet either - so don't sweat it :) Their final interview is this weekend I believe, so we should all hear back Monday 2/29 or 3/7!

nope, there's an interview weekend on 3/4 and 3/18 as well. i'm going to the latter and it seems so far awayyyyyy

41 minutes ago, TickleMyTCR said:

Any word from UW Immunology?  The last interview weekend is over, so these should be on their way or already out...

The admission stats from last year are promising following interview: http://www.grad.washington.edu/about/statistics/admissions/admissions15.pdf

I was accepted to UW immuno right after the first interview weekend. I also just got an acceptance phone call from Yale so I will be deciding between those 2 schools...any other immunology folk attend those interviews? How did you compare those 2 programs? There are many people at both schools who I would be happy to rotate with. 

I'm having troubles deciding between Boston College and Notre Dame. I liked both programs and would be happy at either but I liked ND a bit more. The one huge thing about BC is that they do a lot of collaborations with Harvard, MIT, Tufts, etc. and I'd make some great connections and know I would get a pretty good post doc position after. Any advice is welcomed!!! 

2 hours ago, aufish92 said:

Got accepted to University of Wisconsin Madison microbiology program.  So excited to be going to graduate school!

MDTP is an AWESOME program, congratulations!!

8 minutes ago, laxgoal100 said:

after interview??

I want to know too...tell uuusssss @Tusenpo!! :unsure::o

Hey are we supposed to reply to acceptance emails if we haven't made a decision yet? I know I have until April to decide but I am wondering whether I need to send a short message of some kind just for the sake of politeness or to let them know I received their message. Did you guys come up with anything that sounds both noncommittal and grateful? 

6 minutes ago, breadwinner said:

Hey are we supposed to reply to acceptance emails if we haven't made a decision yet? I know I have until April to decide but I am wondering whether I need to send a short message of some kind just for the sake of politeness or to let them know I received their message. Did you guys come up with anything that sounds both noncommittal and grateful? 

I already kind of have what I'm looking for in mind; nonetheless, I reply by thanking them, telling them what I liked about the interview, and I end off telling them that while I am in the middle of interviews still, I will reach out with questions and logistics to help me make the right decision by April 15th.

Done. No questions asked.
Some schools might then try to butter you up by adding some sort of internal fellowship to the mix with an earlier date that you need to accept, but you should take that with a grain of salt. Top programs shouldn't need to use those tactics to bait people; they would offer them if you come, with no date recruited to commit by. 

13 minutes ago, breadwinner said:

I haven't replied to any of my acceptance emails - I don't really think it matters that much?

Just now, Ferroportin said:

I haven't replied to any of my acceptance emails - I don't really think it matters that much?

I replied to one because I had a question and I didn't reply to the other.  I am sure it doesn't matter.  The only thing it really does it tells them that you received the offer.

One of my offers says that I have to reply by February 29th, however, I'm pretty sure I have until April 15th. How should I reply? It is one of my top choices, but I'm still waiting to hear back from my other top choice. They can't take away their offer if I don't respond by then right?

3 minutes ago, swiftninja said:

One of my offers says that I have to reply by February 29th, however, I'm pretty sure I have until April 15th. How should I reply? It is one of my top choices, but I'm still waiting to hear back from my other top choice. They can't take away their offer if I don't respond by then right?

I would email them for clarification. I'm pretty sure if they're on this list (http://cgsnet.org/ckfinder/userfiles/files/CGSResolution_Oct2015.pdf) then you should have until April 15th to decide.

6 minutes ago, swiftninja said:

I have one place that told me they I need to tell them and they were serious.  When I called they said they would never remove my offer, but that they could only guarantee it until a certain date.  They only can take on x number of students and after the date they gave me they would offer other students my spot.  If I got back to them they would place me on the waiting list and I would have priority once a spot became available (meaning someone else didn't accept).  Apparently this is common practice for schools not on the list of schools that waits until April 15th.  

8 hours ago, Tusenpo said:

Okay... I am waitlisted for Yale BBSB. Still better than a rejection email...

I am in the same boat...I wonder how their waitlist system works and what chance we have 

5 hours ago, Ferroportin said:

You should definitely reply to them. If at all possible, also let them know when you think you will make a decision. For example, "I will let you know my decision after March 16," if your last interview is early march. This will keep check-in emails to a minimum. Yes, most schools have to abide by the April 15 deadline, but it isn't very nice to other waitlisted students to wait that long.

Remember that these schools can only have so many offers out at a time as they have limits to class size, so if you really are thinking you won't go there and have other offers, let them know so they can give an offer to another student. Also note that even though you have an offer, it is still possible to be denied admission in the end, either through a graduate school admissions process or through others accepting offers earlier than you (though this second one is rare).

So... American canceled my flights to Rockefeller and rebooked me on a flight that left today... at 2:15 pm.  So I called them and I literally couldn't get a flight into New York without paying $300 more.  I cancelled my flights and got a refund and am not going to Rockefeller.

Weirdly enough, I feel relieved.  I knew I didn't want to live in NYC.  And now, I get to email Vanderbilt tomorrow morning to accept!

6 minutes ago, biochemgirl67 said:

So... American canceled my flights to Rockefeller and rebooked me on a flight that left today... at 2:15 pm.  So I called them and I literally couldn't get a flight into New York without paying $300 more.  I cancelled my flights and got a refund and am not going to Rockefeller.

Weirdly enough, I feel relieved.  I knew I didn't want to live in NYC.  And now, I get to email Vanderbilt tomorrow morning to accept!

sorry about the circumstances, but glad that you have a great school that you're excited about!  congrats!

Just now, biosci said:

sorry about the circumstances, but glad that you have a great school that you're excited about!  congrats!

It's so weird, it happened so quickly.  I got the text and next thing I knew, I was canceling the entire trip.  I don't want to go to Rockefeller and I can tell by how relieved I am that I don't have to go and deal with it and try to seem interested.  They are a great school but I just feel so comfortable about Vanderbilt and Nashville.  AHHHHHHHHHH

9 minutes ago, biochemgirl67 said:

It's so weird, it happened so quickly.  I got the text and next thing I knew, I was canceling the entire trip.  I don't want to go to Rockefeller and I can tell by how relieved I am that I don't have to go and deal with it and try to seem interested.  They are a great school but I just feel so comfortable about Vanderbilt and Nashville.  AHHHHHHHHHH

Congrats! I'm with you and would totally take that as a sign to accept the offer from Vandy!

12 minutes ago, biochemgirl67 said:

Seems like it was meant to be! Congratulations on your decision!!