2016 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Infinito

8 minutes ago, biochemgirl67 said:

Yeah, UCSF is the same.  The results for Harvard have been the 19th for like 5 years in a row.  AAHHHHHHH.  I wasn't anxious after I got the Vandy invite but now... It's starting again.

Oh lord, looks like I'll be hearing back from Cornell the same day as Harvard D: (Hopefully positive results :x ) 

3 minutes ago, Bioenchilada said:

Oh lord, looks like I'll be hearing back from Cornell the same day as Harvard D: (Hopefully positive results :x ) 

OMG that's terrifying.  My top choices are Harvard, UCSF, and UW so... next two weeks will be EMOTIONAL

4 minutes ago, biochemgirl67 said:

OMG that's terrifying.  My top choices are Harvard, UCSF, and UW so... next two weeks will be EMOTIONAL

My top choices are Harvard, Penn, and Cornell... fingers crossed for an exciting Christmas Break. 

I've never cried over tests nor summer program/college decisions,but I feel that getting rejected from my top choice will make me emotional hahaha

2 minutes ago, Bioenchilada said:

My top choices are Harvard, Penn, and Cornell... fingers crossed for an exciting Christmas Break. 

I've never cried over tests nor summer program/college decisions,but I feel that getting rejected from my top choice will make me emotional hahaha

I feel like I'm prepared, but I know I'm not.  And if I do get rejected and have an emotional outburst, everyone else will be all, "Dude, it's Harvard.  What did you expect?"

22 minutes ago, bicsy said:

I'm hoping to hear from Harvard as well, but I applied to MCO. Definitely a reach but my interview at WUSTL gives me hope that MCO will like me. 

Has anyone on here heard anything from MCO?

Talked to a professor on the MCO committee last week, it appears they're not reviewing until after finals (late December early January)

16 minutes ago, biochemgirl67 said:

I have a feeling you'll hear from them :)

18 hours ago, majorlurker said:

Special Bonus Points: not sure if this belongs here but i am pretty experienced with some pretty hot/exciting/somewhat difficult techniques? with my current lab i have had extensive experience with cellular reprogramming, ipsc culture, neural differentiation, crispr/cas9 in pluripotent stem cells. use these on a daily basis and am very comfortable with them

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: Two really strong LORs, one of them which is very well respected in our field and the other from a prof who knows me pretty well (as a student, TA, and on my MS committee); last LOR is probably good but not 100% sure. from feedback from some graduate students in my building I think it is strong? the only point that they brought up (which I can't do anything about at this point in time) is that the breadth of research is a little more narrow than I would like. I'm not sure how ADCOMs will view that I have gotten suuuuper involved in this one lab and don't have multiple different lab experiences. i think i have gotten a tremendous amount of experience from this single lab but I can see how having experienced a few settings is benefical. in my SOP i think I do a good job of showing the depth of the experience I have had so far, so hopefully this isn't a weak point.

I went into PhD applications with 2 years mediocre experience in two different labs and then nearly 5 amazing years in my second lab (including masters). Do NOT worry about the adcom being upset about staying in one lab; it is generally quite the opposite. I've said this before, and I will say it again. A couple of years in a single lab is generally better than several small research experiences. Summer REUs don't hold much weight in my book; in 3 months, you're just starting to understand the protocols and project you're working on. However, staying in a single lab for at least a year causes you to not only learn your project and the lab protocols, but it makes you really do research. You're in the lab interacting with people, asking science questions, and actively troubleshooting what doesn't work. You are very lucky to have been in that lab for so long as you've already shown that you're a good scientist and that you can probably hack it. Otherwise, why would your previous PI have kept you on so long? The adcom will see this and it will be a positive thing on your application. Then, when you get interviews and can discuss with PIs, it'll help even more.

I didn't apply to any of the schools on your list (long story), but I expect you to have a good chance at several of those.

Edited by biotechie
Sentence Clarification

7 minutes ago, biotechie said:

I went into PhD applications with 2 years mediocre experience in two different labs and then nearly 5 amazing years in my second lab (including masters). Do NOT worry about the adcom being upset about staying in one lab; it is generally quite the opposite. I've said this before, and I will say it again. A couple of years in a single lab is generally better than several small research experiences. Summer REUs don't hold much weight in my book; in 3 months, you're just starting to understand the protocols and project you're working on. However, staying in a single lab for at least a year causes you to not only learn your project and the lab protocols, but it makes you really do research. You're in the lab interacting with people, asking science questions, and actively troubleshooting what doesn't work. You are very lucky to have been in that lab for so long as you've already shown that you're a good scientist and that you can probably hack it. Otherwise, why would your previous PI have kept you on so long? The adcom will see this and it will be a positive thing on your application. Then, when you get interviews and can discuss with PIs, it'll help even more.

I didn't apply to any of the schools on your list (long story), but I expect you to have a good chance at several of those.

I agree with everything you said except your opinion about REUs. I feel like you're underestimating the amount of progress and learning you can do by doing a summer internship. 

9 minutes ago, biotechie said:

I also agree with everything except the REU/summer programs.  Not everyone has a paid lab position/can afford to pay to stay at their university over the summer.  And REUs and summer internships show that you can be successful in multiple environments and with new techniques.  And you are actually expected to get a lot done.  If you have long term research (I have 2 years) plus short term experiences (2 summer internships) that would be great!  It really depends on the person, but it's not worth saying that those experiences don't hold weight; it's simply not true.

To everyone who is anxiously awaiting interview invites,

I wouldn't be completely surprised if invites for some programs come out a little later than they have in previous years. This may not be the case for all schools or programs, but my PI is on the admissions committee for a neuroscience program and said that the program received a record number of applications this year. I know he at least is struggling to read through all of the applications assigned to him to look over. 

So just hold tight and be grateful you don't have to review hundreds of applications right before the holidays. :) 

I know...easier said than done. 

47 minutes ago, Superres said:

To everyone who is anxiously awaiting interview invites,

I wouldn't be completely surprised if invites for some programs come out a little later than they have in previous years. This may not be the case for all schools or programs, but my PI is on the admissions committee for a neuroscience program and said that the program received a record number of applications this year. I know he at least is struggling to read through all of the applications assigned to him to look over. 

So just hold tight and be grateful you don't have to review hundreds of applications right before the holidays. :) 

I know...easier said than done. 

what school is that out of curiosity?

Just now, Superres said:

Emory's neuro program

it's a bit disheartening to think that there may just be a record number of neuro applicants this year in general, without any real increase in the number of spots. thanks for the info though! 

8 minutes ago, 4eyes said:

it's a bit disheartening to think that there may just be a record number of neuro applicants this year in general, without any real increase in the number of spots. thanks for the info though! 

No problem!

Neuroscience is a hot field right now. Great for funding! But probably more applicants to neuro programs than even 5 years ago....

But I'm a little worried too. I was on the fence about applying to cell bio or neuro programs for some of my schools (I'm interested in molecular/cellular neuroscience), but ultimately went with all neuro programs because it aligns more with my interests. Not sure if that's going to hurt me or not. I'm currently doing more cell bio/biochem research that has an application to neuroscience.

Edited by Superres

2 minutes ago, Superres said:

No problem!

Neuroscience is a hot field right now. Great for funding! But probably more applicants to neuro programs than even 5 years ago....

one other thing - i am curious to know how applying out of a canadian undergraduate will be perceived by admissions boards. do you think mcgill would be comparable to mid-tier american schools for a neuro undergrad, or possibly higher than mid-tier? i've heard mixed responses on this. Thanks!

Just now, 4eyes said:

one other thing - i am curious to know how applying out of a canadian undergraduate will be perceived by admissions boards. do you think mcgill would be comparable to mid-tier american schools for a neuro undergrad, or possibly higher than mid-tier? i've heard mixed responses on this. Thanks!

Personally, I think McGill is an excellent school! And there's some pretty great research there as well! I think the concern comes in when professors/adcoms have never even heard of a certain school. But even then, letters of rec can really help in these instances (along with research experience and good GPA/GRE). But I wouldn't worry at all. I think McGill has some pretty awesome research and would be considered favorably.

1 minute ago, Superres said:

Personally, I think McGill is an excellent school! And there's some pretty great research there as well! I think the concern comes in when professors/adcoms have never even heard of a certain school. But even then, letters of rec can really help in these instances (along with research experience and good GPA/GRE). But I wouldn't worry at all. I think McGill has some pretty awesome research and would be considered favorably.

thanks for the input!! always good to hear

1 minute ago, Superres said:

What programs did you apply to?

i considered emory but didn't end up applying- it looks super awesome but i don't think i would be ready to move all the way to georgia! i applied to mainly schools in the north like rockefeller, nyu, and columbia (nyc is the dream!), and will be applying to a few canadian schools after finals!

Just now, 4eyes said:

i considered emory but didn't end up applying- it looks super awesome but i don't think i would be ready to move all the way to georgia! i applied to mainly schools in the north like rockefeller, nyu, and columbia (nyc is the dream!), and will be applying to a few canadian schools after finals!

Good luck!! All of those schools have excellent neuro programs! I'm originally from the north, but after coming to the south for undergrad, I hate the thought of northern winters lol ...though I did apply to some northern schools. I didn't actually end up applying to any in NY, but NYC is definitely a cool city!!