2016 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Infinito

THANK YOU for this, I almost crapped my pants when i saw that on there. I'm neuro as well and looking at the program in boston i think you're referring to. I emailed their admin a few weeks ago because i know if i get an invite there i'll have a conflict and she said basically what you just did so i was very surprised... 

4 minutes ago, kokobanana said:

So I just talked to my PI, who is on the ad com for the school.... and he mentioned that all the reviewers are meeting to review phd applications for the department later this week.

Here's the kicker: Someone just posted on the results section that they got an invite from the program that my PI is on the ad com for.  Now I am seriously doubting some of the authenticity of the results people are reporting. 

If anyone else is borderline panicking (like I was a few hours ago), I'd like to send out a reminder to relax. I am taking a break from this thread and getting some wine.

7 minutes ago, kokobanana said:

So I just talked to my PI, who is on the ad com for the school.... and he mentioned that all the reviewers are meeting to review phd applications for the department later this week.

Here's the kicker: Someone just posted on the results section that they got an invite from the program that my PI is on the ad com for.  Now I am seriously doubting some of the authenticity of the results people are reporting. 

If anyone else is borderline panicking (like I was a few hours ago), I'd like to send out a reminder to relax. I am taking a break from this thread and getting some wine.

That's awful!  

9 minutes ago, kokobanana said:

1 minute ago, biosci said:

That's awful!  

Thank you for that reminder.

One of my friends who sat on the Michigan committee literally told me the same thing - to ignore people that have so far posted they have interviews. It apparently happens every year. It's this website's version of trolling. 

Hence, why I'd like people to consider not posting that they received interviews on this thread, and rather make a new topic like INTERVIEW RESULTS or INVITES or something.

Because the spam that occurs when someone posts "I GOT AN INTERVIEW FROM X" followed by 2 pages of "CONGRATS!" and "WHAT, THEY ALREADY SENT OUT INVITES, I DIDN'T GET ONE! AM I REJECTED!?" is really annoying when this whole post is about people's stats and where they finally got into, as an easier method of searching the survey results. I'm not about reading 130 pages of posts like I had to last year, that was filled with off-topic discussion. 

I, for one, will probably just post all my interview invites in batches, starting in January. I'd hope people can consider doing the same thing, and not plaguing the rest with anxiety attacks. 

9 minutes ago, bdnf_13.1 said:

THANK YOU for this, I almost crapped my pants when i saw that on there. I'm neuro as well and looking at the program in boston i think you're referring to. I emailed their admin a few weeks ago because i know if i get an invite there i'll have a conflict and she said basically what you just did so i was very surprised... 

6 minutes ago, biosci said:

That's awful!  

I wanted to share this just to provide some other people relief. Trust me, I went from totally devastated, to deep sadness, and after talked to my PI, kind of pissed at whoever posted that *very likely* fake update. It is awful, and it DOES make people feel bad because we all know how much these decisions can change the next few years of our lives.

I also feel silly because I had no idea that my PI was on the ad com.

Anyway, off to get wine and stare at pictures of cute cats. I'll be waiting with you bdnf_13.1!!

6 minutes ago, Infinito said:

One of my friends who sat on the Michigan committee literally told me the same thing - to ignore people that have so far posted they have interviews. It apparently happens every year. It's this website's version of trolling. 

Hence, why I'd like people to consider not posting that they received interviews on this thread, and rather make a new topic like INTERVIEW RESULTS or INVITES or something.

Because the spam that occurs when someone posts "I GOT AN INTERVIEW FROM X" followed by 2 pages of "CONGRATS!" and "WHAT, THEY ALREADY SENT OUT INVITES, I DIDN'T GET ONE! AM I REJECTED!?" is really annoying when this whole post is about people's stats and where they finally got into, as an easier method of searching the survey results. I'm not about reading 130 pages of posts like I had to last year, that was filled with off-topic discussion. 

I, for one, will probably just post all my interview invites in batches, starting in January. I'd hope people can consider doing the same thing, and not plaguing the rest with anxiety attacks. 

That's why I ended up just looking at the profiles of people that had updated signatures of their results. Considering interview invites probably do count as results too I think they're appropriate. However, for the sake of future applicants looking back at this thread for information, updating your signature or re-posting your profile with results at the end of the cycle would probably be very helpful.

Been lurking in this thread for a while and figured it was time I contributed!

Undergrad Institution: Top 10 private school
Major(s): Neuroscience
Minor(s):
GPA in Major: 3.2
Overall GPA: 3.3
Position in Class: No idea...average/below average?

Master's GPA: 4.0
Type of Student: Domestic Male

GRE Scores (revised/old version):
Q: 161
V: 164
W: 5.0
B:

Research Experience:

- One summer doing Alzheimer's research in Arizona

- One summer doing aging research at the NIA

- One year doing computational biology research at a prominent medical research institution (one conference abstract and poster authorship, middle author)

- One year doing wet lab research on elucidating mechanisms of a cardiomyocyte protein (one conference abstract and poster authorship, second author. Published my MS thesis on this work).

-One year (and counting) industry experience at a large tech company, doing a mix of computational biology, data analysis, and some software development (one conference abstract and poster (middle author), one manuscript (in preparation, middle author), and one possible patent).

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: None much other than Dean's List a couple of semesters.

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Tutored with a private company for a year, and TA'ed for an upper-division neuro course in undergrad. I was also pre-med for a while during college, so I have some volunteering experiences from that time that may be looked at in a positive light.

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help:

Special Bonus Points:

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: I think my recommendations and SOP were pretty solid. I went with the strategy of getting recommendations from people who knew me well (my manager from my internship, my PI from my Masters, and a professor from my Masters who thought very highly of me) rather than asking for recommendations from bigger-name folks who I had never worked with directly. Not sure how smart that was, but we'll see how it turns out I suppose. For my SOP, I did multiple revisions and worked closely with my brother, who performed his doctorate work at UC-Berkeley, to come up with something I was happy with.

I'm really hoping that my Masters GPA along with my research experience helps overcome my poor undergraduate showing, especially at some of the top programs that might pay more attention to that type of thing. That said, I know that I'm probably a long-shot for most of the programs on my list.

Applying to Where:

Stanford - Biomedical Informatics

UCSF - BMS

UC- Berkeley - Comp Bio

UCSD - Bioinformatics

WUSTL - DBBS

U-Washington - Genome Sciences

UCLA - Bioscience

USC - CBG

Edited by Dro133

Have been reading/obsessing over these forums for a couple weeks but now that i am hearing back i figured id chime in to give hope to those with similar middling stats ?

Undergrad Institution: Big ten 
Major(s): Microbiology & Genetics
Minor(s): Biotechnology
GPA in Major: 3.4
Overall GPA: 3.3
Position in Class: N/A

Type of Student: Domestic Male

Q: 164
V: 168

Research Experience: 2.5 years in a bacterial genetics lab, no pubs , 1 year partcipation in an HHMI project

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: not really

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: 

Special Bonus Points: Excellent recommendations from all 3 professors 

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: 

Applying to Where:

Johns Hopkins MMI

WashU DBBS  

Duke MGM

U Penn Virology

UW Microbiology

UW-Madison MDTP

Ohio State Microbiology

Chicago Microbiology

UC Davis Microbiology

so far have received an interview invitation from Duke and WashU both of which i am definitely attending as they are some of my top choices. Was not at all confident that i would be a competitive candidate but on top of the world since getting the calls!

22 minutes ago, msacco said:

Have been reading/obsessing over these forums for a couple weeks but now that i am hearing back i figured id chime in to give hope to those with similar middling stats =)

Undergrad Institution: Big ten 
Major(s): Microbiology & Genetics
Minor(s): Biotechnology
GPA in Major: 3.4
Overall GPA: 3.3
Position in Class: N/A

Type of Student: Domestic Male

Q: 164
V: 168

Research Experience: 2.5 years in a bacterial genetics lab, no pubs , 1 year partcipation in an HHMI project

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: not really

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: 

Special Bonus Points: Excellent recommendations from all 3 professors 

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: 

Applying to Where:

Johns Hopkins MMI

Wash U DBBS  

Duke MGM

U Penn Virology

UW Microbiology

UW-Madison MDTP

Ohio State Microbiology

Chicago Microbiology

UC Davis Microbiology

so far have received an interview invitation from Duke and Wash U both of which i am definitely attending as they are some of my top choices. Was not at all confident that i would be a competitive candidate but on top of the world since getting the calls!

Congrats! Hope we both hear from Wisconsin (MDTP) next week :)

28 minutes ago, msacco said:

so far have received an interview invitation from Duke and Wash U both of which i am definitely attending as they are some of my top choices. Was not at all confident that i would be a competitive candidate but on top of the world since getting the calls!

Congrats! As someone with similar stats, this gives me hope...

1 hour ago, Edotdl said:

That's why I ended up just looking at the profiles of people that had updated signatures of their results. Considering interview invites probably do count as results too I think they're appropriate. However, for the sake of future applicants looking back at this thread for information, updating your signature or re-posting your profile with results at the end of the cycle would probably be very helpful.

how do you create a signature with your results?

1 hour ago, mrpoopybutthole said:

Congrats to your friend! Was it for IBIS? I'm pretty sure their deadline is the 15th so I guess they're doing rolling admissions? 

I just got an invite for IBIS so I guess they must be

18 minutes ago, Metbio2016 said:

Interview from Columbia!!! It is in the Nutritional and Metabolic Biology PhD program though, so I am not sure if this is happening now for the other programs

Congrats!! I applied to the pathobiology & molecular med program, but was really tempted to go nutritional/metabolic. Hope my guys send interviews soon, although that's the program I'm least confident about getting into! 

3 minutes ago, parafilm said:

Congrats!! I applied to the pathobiology & molecular med program, but was really tempted to go nutritional/metabolic. Hope my guys send interviews soon, although that's the program I'm least confident about getting into! 

Thanks!! Yeah I was between those two programs as well. I'm sure you will get an interview! and hopefully soon!!

2 hours ago, Infinito said:

Yeah.  I mean, actually do believe most of the people if they come in droves.  But if these trolls ARE on here, they should be ashamed of themselves.