2016 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Infinito

29 minutes ago, parafilm said:

I realize this adds nothing to the discussion, but the anticipation is killing me! Penn CAMB will probably be the first school on my list to send out invites... next week can not come quickly enough. I may need to stock up on cheap wine to get me through the weekend.

Literally. Wine and waiting to hear from Penn CAMB, slash any others that might start next week.

Solidarity my friend! :P

Thanks for all the feedback! I don't disagree with biochemgirl specifically, my GPA is clearly the weakest part of my application. I definitely knew UCSF was stringent about this, but I figured I might as well apply as I love SF.

I addressed my GPA directly in my SOP, albeit briefly. Mostly I just said that it happened due to a variety of factors in my past, my improvement is a demonstration of tenacity, but the experience contributed significantly to my growth and development and I wouldn't change that fact. Then I moved on and focused on my strengths.

The tension is killing me, that's for sure.

P.S. Anybody who applied to UC Denver BMS, I had some contact with their program administrator and she said they wouldn't be meeting to officially decide on interviews until the 15th.

1 minute ago, ruckaround said:

Literally. Wine and waiting to hear from Penn CAMB, slash any others that might start next week.

Solidarity my friend! :P

Yesss, I'm also waiting for this :x

Although they gave me more info about their interview dates :D

1 hour ago, parafilm said:

I realize this adds nothing to the discussion, but the anticipation is killing me! Penn CAMB will probably be the first school on my list to send out invites... next week can not come quickly enough. I may need to stock up on cheap wine to get me through the weekend.

It's so nerve racking! I'm on the same page, it is going to take a decent amount of wine to get me through the next couple weeks. Good luck!

1 hour ago, Bioenchilada said:

The interview dates are the following weekends:

Jan 15th

Jan 29th

Feb 19th

Very cool, thanks! I should start assembling dates in the hope of needing to navigate conflicts :P

55 minutes ago, TheKinaser said:

First interview invite!  University of Wisconsin-Madison!

2 hours ago, Azia said:

It's so nerve racking! I'm on the same page, it is going to take a decent amount of wine to get me through the next couple weeks. Good luck!

Damn! I wish I could just buy y'all some beers. Celebration, commiseration... cheers!

1 minute ago, AmyShelton said:

My daughter received her invite to UNC-Chapel Hill BBSP earlier this afternoon for the weekend of Feb 4-6.

Two down, five yet to hear from.

1 hour ago, TheKinaser said:

First interview invite!  University of Wisconsin-Madison!

Ugh congrats guys!! And now I'm a little worried lol :(

Hi all, 

Just joined here and wanted some feedback on my app and the school that I applied to. 

I already got an interview at Icahn SOM Biophysics and Systems Biology Program

Here's my stats:

Undergrad Institution:Public Research University
Major(s): Bioinformatics and Philosophy double major
Minor(s): 
GPA in Major: 3.41
Overall GPA: 3.45
Position in Class: average
Type of Student: Domestic, asian male

GRE Scores (revised/old version) :
Q: -
V: - 

W: -
B: 
Taking GREs next Saturday (12/19)

Research Experience:

1 Year wet lab research at a Brain genetics lab

1 Summer computational biology internship

(Continued from summer internship)  3 Years computational biology research (paid, at two institutions, my home institution and my summer internship institution, concurrently) to present.
1 Summer systems biology fellowship 

(Continued from summer fellowship) 4 months paid system's biology research position to present.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions:

Deans List most semesters, Phi Sigma Tau, Honors in Philosophy 

Pertinent Activities or Jobs:

After finishing my first summer computational biology internship I stayed in the lab for another 3 years and was supported, while still in college. I taught high school students computational biology during this time, presented a poster at an international conference about my work and am listed as an author on a pub submitted to PNAS. I currently still work here as an RA part time. 

Received a part time RA job here after finishing my systems biology fellowship. I currently work here along with my other RA job.

Mentor/Tutor for mentally ill children and adolescents at a hospital

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help:

4th Author in a pub recently submitted 

1st author poster 

Philosophy honor's thesis 

Special Bonus Points:

?

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter:

Most semesters of college I was taking >20 credits of philosophy and biology while working in a lab. Hence the mediocre gpa. 

Applying to Where:

Icahn SOM systems biology and biophyiscs 

Princeton computational biology

NYU computational biology

Yale computational biology

Columbia computational biology

Tri-Institutional computational biology program

Cornell computational biology

Duke computational biology

UCSD Bioinformatics 

USC MCB

Thoughts? 

Edited by political

1 minute ago, Bioenchilada said:

Lol one of my schools has still not matched the GRE scores I sent on August, but it still says my application is complete. I'm gonna call tomorrow, but I honestly hope this doesn't affect the review process :(

sorry :(  which school?

1 minute ago, Bioenchilada said:

Lol one of my schools has still not matched the GRE scores I sent on August, but it still says my application is complete. I'm gonna call tomorrow, but I honestly hope this doesn't affect the review process :(

Were you able to self report them on the app? If so I really doubt it would hinder your application from going to review but it's good to double check where they went. Penn CAMB took like five days to match mine up after submission.

2 minutes ago, mrpoopybutthole said:

Were you able to self report them on the app? If so I really doubt it would hinder your application from going to review but it's good to double check where they went. Penn CAMB took like five days to match mine up after submission.

Yeah, I was able to self report. It's been 17 days since I submitted that application haha
I'm pretty sure everything is fine, but I'll give them a call tomorrow anyway. 

1 minute ago, biochemgirl67 said:

I know this isn't constructive at ALL to the discussion (or to studying for my micro final) but I'm dying to here from Harvard and UCSF *hopefully* next week.  They are two of my top picks.  Arghhhhhhh.

My Harvard friend says they got back to him on the 19th. :D

Just now, Bioenchilada said:

My Harvard friend says they got back to him on the 19th. :D

Yeah, UCSF is the same.  The results for Harvard have been the 19th for like 5 years in a row.  AAHHHHHHH.  I wasn't anxious after I got the Vandy invite but now... It's starting again.

Just now, biochemgirl67 said:

I know this isn't constructive at ALL to the discussion (or to studying for my micro final) but I'm dying to here from Harvard and UCSF *hopefully* next week.  They are two of my top picks.  Arghhhhhhh.

I'm hoping to hear from Harvard as well, but I applied to MCO. Definitely a reach but my interview at WUSTL gives me hope that MCO will like me. 

Has anyone on here heard anything from MCO?