2016 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Infinito

So update on Mount Sinai: They dont offer skype interviews as a norm from the last few years. International srudents do fly over. But if its really not possible at all, then they do make accommodations. But its done on a case by case basis. 

So I guess I'll have to go. I'm excited, but the flights in january are just insanely expensive!! :| almost double, compared to december and february.

:o:o @bioconfused Really? Fly over for the interview? Are they reimbursing you? Damn, apparently Mt. Sinai has a good deal of research funding!

And what about the visas? Experiencing diarrhea is better than a trip to the US embassy in India. All the best dude.

Edited by Microburritology

Well they wont be reimbursing the whole amount. They have an upper limit, I think its around 450 dollars and they said they would reimburse that much. Maybe i can talk to them about increasing the limit, but not by much i assume. I will have to figure out this whole VISA thing. 

How do I tag people on this?!!!

3 minutes ago, Microburritology said:

:o:o @bioconfused Really? Fly over for the interview? Are they reimbursing you? Damn, apparently Mt. Sinai has a good deal of research funding!

And what about the visas? Experiencing diarrhea is better than a trip to the US embassy in India. All the best dude.

people 

1 hour ago, bioconfused said:

hey mrpoopybutthole

What interview options(dates) were you offered? and what program, as in the interviews were for which MTA?

I was offered January 7-8 or 11-12. I applied to Immunology as my top choice and Cancer Biology as second although the email they sent didn't specify any of my picks.

No Rick and Morty fans here haha?

11 minutes ago, bioconfused said:

Has anybody heard from University of Washington at all? Esp Mol and Cell Bio!? Any prospective interview dates?

Very eager for this one myself. I haven't seen any trace of folks hearing. It looks like in past years emails have gone out next week.

3 minutes ago, ruckaround said:

Very eager for this one myself. I haven't seen any trace of folks hearing. It looks like in past years emails have gone out next week.

16 minutes ago, bioconfused said:

Has anybody heard from University of Washington at all? Esp Mol and Cell Bio!? Any prospective interview dates?

Yeah, based on the Survey stuff from previous years (http://www.thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php?q=washington+mcb), looks like we might be hearing back by the end of this week or next week! Also really looking forward for this one. 

44 minutes ago, mrpoopybutthole said:

I was offered January 7-8 or 11-12. I applied to Immunology as my top choice and Cancer Biology as second although the email they sent didn't specify any of my picks.

I'm sorry you don't have any bad memories of me :( lol

16 minutes ago, MusMusculus said:

Yeah, based on the Survey stuff from previous years (http://www.thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php?q=washington+mcb), looks like we might be hearing back by the end of this week or next week! Also really looking forward for this one. 

Its kinda nuts.. judging from the threads of the past two years, it seems like posting goes crazy over the next two weeks. Invites start flyin'

Ahhhhhh I got an interview invite to WUSTL DBBS!!! My program contact called earlier today to confirm! 

I'm so damn happy, I don't know what to do with myself.

1 hour ago, mrpoopybutthole said:

What they did to you on the show was messed up, man. Hope you're doing better now.

Edited by bicsy

15 minutes ago, bicsy said:

Ahhhhhh I got an interview invite to WUSTL DBBS!!! My program contact called earlier today to confirm! 

I'm so damn happy, I don't know what to do with myself.

What they did to you on the show was messed up, man. Hope you're doing better now.

Congrats! that's awesome, take a moment to celebrate 

Meanwhile I'm at my cubicle pigging out on holiday cupcakes our Department ordered... x_X

Hi everyone, I've been lurking here for a bit. I've also applied this fall but only to my two top-choice phd programs in neuroscience, with the labs I most want to join. I graduated in May and began working as a researcher in a lab at one of two schools I've applied to, and decided that if don't get into one of these schools this year, I'd rather reapply next year a stronger applicant to both and also apply to about six other programs. But hopefully I'll get in this year and that won't be necessary. 

I've taken a look at the results thread that people have posted above and noticed that my schools last year notified re: interviews in late December and in January. 

For those of you who have already gotten interview requests, congrats! I hope you'll also post in the results thread so that future applicants will have an idea of when to expect to hear.

12 minutes ago, Neurolit said:

Hi everyone, I've been lurking here for a bit. I've also applied this fall but only to my two top-choice phd programs in neuroscience, with the labs I most want to join. I graduated in May and began working as a researcher in a lab at one of two schools I've applied to, and decided that if don't get into one of these schools this year, I'd rather reapply next year a stronger applicant to both and also apply to about six other programs. But hopefully I'll get in this year and that won't be necessary. 

I've taken a look at the results thread that people have posted above and noticed that my schools last year notified re: interviews in late December and in January. 

For those of you who have already gotten interview requests, congrats! I hope you'll also post in the results thread so that future applicants will have an idea of when to expect to hear.

Good luck! :)

I know I have been/will continue to update the results page as soon as I hear anything... I understand the desperate need for more data during this process!!!

On 7/21/2015 at 4:42 PM, Infinito said:

Hi guys, does anyone have any advice or comments on my potential to get in to these types of schools?  Thanks!

Undergrad Institution: Big Ten School, Big Research Institution
Major(s):Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
Minor(s): Philosophy of Science
GPA in Major: 3.91
Overall GPA: 3.88
Position in Class: Near Top
Type of Student: Domestic White Male

GRE Scores (revised/old version):
Q: 166
V: 160
W: 5
B: 520

TOEFL Total: (if applicable, otherwise delete this)

Research Experience: 2 years inorganic synthesis (6 publications, 2 first author), 1 year Biosensors research, summer in pharmaceutical industry, summer research fellowship at large research medical school

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Dean's List, Honors, etc

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Biochem tutor, Chem lab TA

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help:

Special Bonus Points: 

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter:

Applying to Where:

University of Michigan-PIBS

University of Wisconsin-iPIB (got interview!)

Washington St. Louis-DBBS

Yale University-BBS

University of Pittsburgh-MBSB

UCSF-Tetrad

Northwestern-IBIS

Cornell-Biochemistry

Cincinnati-Biochemistry

Edited by goliath

3 minutes ago, Bioenchilada said:

If you have great rec letters and a convincing SOP, I'm pretty sure you'll get interviews from a lot of the schools you applied to :D
(Especially considering the amount of publications you have) 

Thanks, that's reassuring!

12 minutes ago, mrpoopybutthole said:

Just got an interview invite from Baylor College of Medicine for Molecular and Cellular Biology!

That's awesome! Congratulations! 
I'm waiting to hear back from Baylor's Biomedical Studies program. When did you submit your application?