2016 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Infinito

2 minutes ago, biosci said:

Congrats biscy, Sarahjc, and mrpoopybutthole!

Starting to really doubt my school choices.  Think I aimed too high.  Hopefully I will get in somewhere, but I really doubt it... 

i feel the same way, don't worry! lots of people still waiting.

9 minutes ago, Focus said:

That's awesome! Congratulations! 
I'm waiting to hear back from Baylor's Biomedical Studies program. When did you submit your application?

Hey Focus, I submitted my app pretty close to midnight December 1st. Good luck! I'm sure you'll hear from them soon!

7 minutes ago, biosci said:

Starting to really doubt my school choices.  Think I aimed too high.  Hopefully I will get in somewhere, but I really doubt it... 

Thank you! Based on your previous posts, it looks like your stats are very similar to mine, in many aspects (GPA, GRE, amount of research completed, my undergrad bio program is not highly ranked). Plus I didn't even take the subject GRE, and you got a great score.

What I'm trying to say is, don't stress! you got this! It's still so early.

2 minutes ago, bicsy said:

Thank you! Based on your previous posts, it looks like your stats are very similar to mine, in many aspects (GPA, GRE, amount of research completed, my undergrad bio program is not highly ranked). Plus I didn't even take the subject GRE, and you got a great score.

What I'm trying to say is, don't stress! you got this! It's still so early.

16 minutes ago, 4eyes said:

i feel the same way, don't worry! lots of people still waiting.

Thanks :).  Most of the programs I applied to haven't even started sending out invites (to my knowledge) but I am still a nervous wreck!

18 minutes ago, biosci said:

Don't worry it's still super early! All of your stats are higher than mine so I'm sure you'll be fine! :]

3 minutes ago, biosci said:

WUSTL, GSK, Hopkins, Yale, Scripps, UMich, University of Wisconsin - Madison, CSHL, Rockefeller, Stanford, UCSF, Harvard

Stanford sends invites like in January 4th. Harvard and UMich should send the first round of invites late next week or early on the week of the 21st. 

3 minutes ago, biosci said:

WUSTL, GSK, Hopkins, Yale, Scripps, UMich, University of Wisconsin - Madison, CSHL, Rockefeller, Stanford, UCSF, Harvard

I applied to many of the same! (Yale, Wisconsin, Stanford, UCSF, Harvard). Best of luck!! Got an email from Wisconsin suggesting we wouldn't hear until January but hopefully it is earlier then that! 

3 minutes ago, Metbio2016 said:

I applied to many of the same! (Yale, Wisconsin, Stanford, UCSF, Harvard). Best of luck!! Got an email from Wisconsin suggesting we wouldn't hear until January but hopefully it is earlier then that! 

Got the same e-mail.  It was cruel....

On 12/7/2015 at 1:57 PM, ruckaround said:

I also applied to these. Waiting is hard.

Hi guys,

Penn CAMB will most likely be sending out most interview invites in the next two weeks (I got mine on December 15 last year) - hopefully that takes some pressure off. I'm not sure who is on the adcom this year, so I can't give the exact date. 

I'm planning to be involved in recruitment, so I hope to see some of you here!

1 minute ago, blinchik said:

Hi guys,

Penn CAMB will most likely be sending out most interview invites in the next two weeks (I got mine on December 15 last year) - hopefully that takes some pressure off. I'm not sure who is on the adcom this year, so I can't give the exact date. 

I loved Penn when I went there for my summer internship! I really hope I get an interview from there :x 

It's really rare to have a program of that caliber (especially for infectious diseases, which is what I'm interested in) with such all-around nice and honest people. I definitely do not have buyer's remorse.  Given your profile, I'm positive you'll be getting an interview invite - don't worry :)

2 minutes ago, blinchik said:

Hi guys,

Awesome! That's my top choice!

Looking through your list from last year, do you remember around what time you got your interview invitations for UAB and UNC? If the exact interview weekend dates aren't listed on their websites would it be ok to email and ask? I'm trying not to shoot myself in the foot by committing to one weekend and potentially missing out on other schools that share the same dates.

If anyone has advice on how to coordinate interview schedules that would be great.  I got my first interview invite this week and am hesitant to commit to a date because I'm still waiting to hear back from 8 other programs. 

20 minutes ago, SynBioGuy said:

I did not expect so many people to apply to WUSL DBBS. :D

@biscy @biosci what was your first choice/option within the DBBS? 

I applied to WUSTL partially because they don't charge lol. But no really, in my field of interest they are tip top and I have doubts applying to such a top program (especially since their essays were a lot of work). Also mine is Molecular Cell Biology and Mol Genetics and Genomics

Undergrad Institution: Liberal Arts, great rep in biology
Major(s): Biology
Minor(s): Chemistry
GPA in Major: 3.5
Overall GPA: 3.43
Position in Class: No idea
Type of Student: Domestic, lady

GRE Scores (revised/old version):
Q: 155 (60%)
V: 158 (79%)
W: 4.5 (80%)

Research Experience: 
2 undergraduate independent studies (1 microbiology/1 epigenetics and neuroscience)

1 summer research assistant (at a 10 top university, studying apoptosis and regeneration)

Current research technician at R01 University (studying parasitology and genetics, ~1.25 years)

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: College and Departmental Honors

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: 

Tutor/TA for 3 years (general chemistry, cell biology, genetics)

Research assistant

Research Technician

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: Posters and oral presentations at local, regional, and national conferences.

Special Bonus Points: LGBTQ/lady

Applying to Where:
University of Arizona-Entomology

University of Arizona-ABBS

UC Berkeley-MCB

UC Davis-Microbiology

Johns Hopkins-Pathobiology

Johns Hopkins-Molecular Biology

University of Illinois, Urbana-EEB

University of Nevada-Reno-EEB/MB

UMass Amherst-Microbiology

5 minutes ago, mrpoopybutthole said:

Awesome! That's my top choice!

Looking through your list from last year, do you remember around what time you got your interview invitations for UAB and UNC? If the exact interview weekend dates aren't listed on their websites would it be ok to email and ask? I'm trying not to shoot myself in the foot by committing to one weekend and potentially missing out on other schools that share the same dates.

I got like almost all of my 6 interview invites the week of December 15-21 (?) last year, and some even on the same day. UAB was about a week later I think, but still definitely before the end of December. Great username, by the way :)

Edit because I forgot part of your question: Absolutely, email and ask - it shows interest in the program and that you're taking initiative to be able to go to interview weekends. I absolutely did.

Edited by blinchik