2016 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Infinito

30 minutes ago, BiochemVitD said:

So I've seen a lot of amazing application profiles on here, and I thought I would post mine for some feedback.

Undergrad Institution: Big State School - Well respected for sciences / engineering
Major(s): Biochemistry
Minor(s): 
GPA in Major: 3.2
Overall GPA: 3.11 (Really poor early years when I didn't try, then ~3.5 for Jr/Sr years - "A"s in graduate level Immunology, RNA Biochemistry, and Biomolecular Physics)
Position in Class: No rankings. Only 2 students graduated above a cumulative 3.5, none above a 3.7.
Type of Student: Domestic White Male

GRE Scores (revised/old version):
Q: 164 (88%)
V: 166 (96%)
W: 4.0
B: Not Taken

TOEFL Total: (if applicable, otherwise delete this)

Research Experience: (At your school or elsewhere? What field? How much time? Any publications (Mth author out of N?) or conference talks etc...)

As an undergrad I was hired at a private company as an intern instead of working for a professor. I worked there for about 2 years part-time, then was offered a full-time position upon graduation. I graduated in 2015 though, so I have about 2.5 current years research experience. Most of our research is proprietary (analytical biochem), so I have no publications. However, I worked on a project which resulted in the development of a new product (which nets our company a healthy sum), multiple large scale analytical projects, have done methodology R&D, and have recently begun assisting our company with clinical trials studying certain supplementation effects on muscle metabolism and strength.

Being within industry, I feel like my research experience is a bit different than most of the profiles I looked at, so I have no idea how that will be received.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: (Within your school or outside?)

Nothing of note, I'm an Eagle Scout but I doubt they care about that.

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: (Such as tutor, TA, SPS officer etc...)

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help:

Special Bonus Points: 

Grad classes with good grades, should have excellent LORs.

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter:

Applying to Where:

UCLA - Biochemistry

Wisconsin Madison - IPiB

U of Michigan - BMS

Colorado Denver - BMS

UCSF - BMS

U of Washington - Biochemistry

UC Davis - Biochemistry

So here's my 2 cents... your GPA is extremely low AND you do not have any academic research experience.  I think the caliber of schools to which are applying is high, especially considering these 2 things.  jThe grad committees want to know you can hack it both research-wise and in classes, and your record doesn't necessarily indicate that for the schools you've chosen.  If you want to be certain to get in somewhere, you should apply to 2-3 more schools.  It's not that industrial experience doesn't matter, it's that it is different.  If you really want to get into one of these schools, it might be a stretch, but remember I'm one of the more conservative members on this board stats-wise.

5 minutes ago, kokobanana said:

Congratulations!!

4 minutes ago, Microburritology said:

Congrats @biosci!! Told ya!:D

Interview dates? January 14th?

2 minutes ago, SynBioGuy said:

Congrats!!

Thank you!!!!!  And the dates were Jan 29 or Feb 19

Edited by biosci

4 minutes ago, Bioenchilada said:

What does that even mean? Haha

I mean there are people who will say "You'll get in anywhere!"  or tell someone who thinks their profile isn't so good that they'll get interviews anywhere.  I will more likely tell people if you have a defect in your application to apply to lower tier schools if you are really serious about getting into grad school or that if they feel their profile isn't up to par to apply to schools where they are comfortable.  I just don't want BiochemVitD to think that my opinion is any more than that!

@BiochemVitD My 4 cents:

1) The GPA is low, but not extremely low, for two reasons: No one in that class had a GPA > 3.7, and since both your GPA and the GRE stats are looked upon together as qualifying stats, your strong GRE score should, should help your application in atleast not being instantly filtered.

2) Your GPA + GRE combo is further not a concern for your choice of schools, excepting UCSF, they're kinda picky there. Also, I don't know if you took a subject test, but UCLA goes all ga-ga over a strong subject GRE score. Something you should've done with an okay GPA.

3) Lastly, I myself have extensive industrial experience, but also some strong academic experience, but my industrial easily overshadows. But this can all very easily be turned into/against your favor in your SOP, hoping you did a good job there.

4) Lastly, recommendation letters can seal all doubts if they come from a professor/scientist, speaking to your potential to hack research and your promise as a candidate. 

19 minutes ago, biochemgirl67 said:

So here's my 2 cents... your GPA is extremely low AND you do not have any academic research experience.  I think the caliber of schools to which are applying is high, especially considering these 2 things.  jThe grad committees want to know you can hack it both research-wise and in classes, and your record doesn't necessarily indicate that for the schools you've chosen.  If you want to be certain to get in somewhere, you should apply to 2-3 more schools.  It's not that industrial experience doesn't matter, it's that it is different.  If you really want to get into one of these schools, it might be a stretch, but remember I'm one of the more conservative members on this board stats-wise.

Edited by Microburritology

43 minutes ago, BiochemVitD said:

So I've seen a lot of amazing application profiles on here, and I thought I would post mine for some feedback.

Undergrad Institution: Big State School - Well respected for sciences / engineering
Major(s): Biochemistry
Minor(s): 
GPA in Major: 3.2
Overall GPA: 3.11 (Really poor early years when I didn't try, then ~3.5 for Jr/Sr years - "A"s in graduate level Immunology, RNA Biochemistry, and Biomolecular Physics)
Position in Class: No rankings. Only 2 students graduated above a cumulative 3.5, none above a 3.7.
Type of Student: Domestic White Male

GRE Scores (revised/old version):
Q: 164 (88%)
V: 166 (96%)
W: 4.0
B: Not Taken
Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter:

Applying to Where:

UCLA - Biochemistry

Wisconsin Madison - IPiB

U of Michigan - BMS

Colorado Denver - BMS

UCSF - BMS

U of Washington - Biochemistry

UC Davis - Biochemistry

I disagree with bichemgirl67. You GPA is obviously low but you did significantly better your jr/sr year. The fact that you don't have academic research experience isn't that  big of a deal. There are plenty of people who get into top grad programs with only industry experience. Hopefully you have highlighted the fact that your project resulted in a new product that make $$$ for your company. How many of us have had research experience as an undergrad that didn't result in anything. You getting interviews will depend on how well you wrote your SOP and your LOR. 

When I applied to grad school I had a similar GPA (3.16) my major GPA was much higher (3.73) but I had worse GRE scores than you. I had 3.5 years of research experience without publications. I interviewed and was accepted at some of the schools you applied to (granted the programs were different). 

7 minutes ago, Microburritology said:

@BiochemVitD My 4 cents:

1) The GPA is low, but not extremely low, for two reasons: No one in that class had a GPA > 3.7, and since both your GPA and the GRE stats are looked upon together as qualifying stats, your strong GRE score should, should help your application in atleast not being instantly filtered.

2) Your GPA + GRE combo is further not a concern for your choice of schools, excepting UCSF, they're kinda picky there. Also, I don't know if you took a subject test, but UCLA goes all ga-ga over a strong subject GRE score. Something you should've done with an okay GPA.

Most programs don't filter applications using GRE/GPA. Places like Rockefeller might. I know Michigan/Washington/Colorado/Davis don't. I'll ask my PI about UCSF she was on the adcom for a while. 

Well I don't mean automatic filtering, but GPAs less than 3 do have a weak reception in the adcom, and unless you stand out exceptionally in everything else, your chances are hurt.

13 minutes ago, ilovelab said:

Most programs don't filter applications using GRE/GPA. Places like Rockefeller might. I know Michigan/Washington/Colorado/Davis don't. I'll ask my PI about UCSF she was on the adcom for a while. 

Absolutely - same here. And yes, a strong well written LoR should seal the deal anyways.

10 minutes ago, Gram Neutral said:

I don't really see a difference between academic vs industry research experience, having done both. All they want to see is that you have done research and you know what you are doing. Letters of rec should clear any doubt. 

I realize this adds nothing to the discussion, but the anticipation is killing me! Penn CAMB will probably be the first school on my list to send out invites... next week can not come quickly enough. I may need to stock up on cheap wine to get me through the weekend.

On 12/10/2015 at 1:14 PM, pandorse said:

As I'm hearing about interview invites being sent out and not having received any thus far, I'm getting a bit nervous about whether I even stood a chance in the first place.  

My sentiments exactly. I even applied low, like scrapping the bottom of the barrel (with the exception of WashU), because of my poor undergraduate years weighing me down. Best we can do is hope, but I can tell you that your stats are better than mine and you should stand a better chance.

Good luck :)

1 minute ago, mrpoopybutthole said:

Congrats!! Looks like UNC is starting to roll out their interview invites! Can I ask when you submitted your app?

Thanks! I submitted November 27th.

3 minutes ago, Microburritology said:

In the meanwhile I'm still furiously refreshing my email hoping for Yale BBS to say hello from the other side. :unsure:

Your Adele reference deserves an upvote, but it says that I ran out for the day.