2016 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Infinito

2 minutes ago, StemCellBio said:

My first interview invite, UC Santa Cruz Molecular, Cell and Developmental Bio! I was getting so nervous, such a relief to have one!

1 minute ago, juice12 said:

Did anyone else get an interview at Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health BMB program?! 

Congratulations!

Just wanted to remind people about a few things as this thread gets heated, spammed, and becomes quite unhelpful for people that will read this in the future.

1. Keep it positive, but that doesn't mean criticism isn't allowed. I won't reference a recent post, but, yes, people should avoid talking about things they are not experts in. Unless you're a student on an admissions committee, please don't make it sound like your comments are fact. There is a lot of nuance to PhD admissions.

2. Yes, people are getting interviews. Calm down. Some schools utilize rolling interview invites. Most programs that have umbrella biosciences also have direct admit programs that send invites earlier. Other school graduate admission policies send out invites for all departments at the same time. The larger the application pool, the longer it will take. Us overachievers applying to top 20 programs should not expect to hear anything back until January. 

The best thing you can do is to just double check that all your official transcripts and test scores are in, and contact departments as needed to make sure a mistake wasn't made. I recently contacted a department that said I had only submitted an unofficial transcript, but found it that status was made in error and promptly changed it to official.

3. Instead of coming here every day and asking whether anyone has gotten an e-mail/invite/notification from X University's Y program, let's be more constructive. Here are a few time points people should consider.

a. Wait until the Week of Dec 21 for programs that historically reply earlier. After that, most programs will be on holiday breaks, and they will ask professors to read applications over the holiday break and get back to the admissions committee by the New Year.

b. Week of January 4 will be the next round of contact/interviews, but that is not the end-all, be-all. After this point, based on whether people decline interviews or not, there will be rolling communication with applicants that had not been contacted. 

c. Week of February 1: By now, most people will know whether they have already been rejected, or have an interview. A low percentage of people will not hear anything until after some other interviewees have had interviews. This is usually for schools that have multiple interview weekends. If you applied to a good swath of schools, you should be content with having heard positive things from a few schools by now.

d. Week of March 14. Most interview weekends in the top 20 programs are done. If you haven't heard back from them by then, it's most likely a No. 

e. April 15. Deadline for people to accept program offers, as long as programs are part of the Council of Graduate Schools (which pretty much 99% of accredited programs are).

4. Breathe. Binge on Netflix. Find something to take your mind off the process. Pick up a new coding program. Send your LoR writers cards. Check out the Waiting It Out forum for more lovely Grad Cafe support HERE.

5. Post your stats on this thread. Especially if you've been lurking. This will be great for next year's round of applicants. And remember, as you hear back, or at the end of the cycle (which I intend to do after I get accepted to programs), post to the Grad Cafe Survey.

Other than that, post away. And try to keep off-topic things restricted to private chat or another forum <3

Edited by Infinito

Anyone has any ideas of how international interview  invites are handled? Whether the interview invites go out at the same time when they know theyll be doing a skype interview?

And does anybody have any idea whether any other schools/programs (apart from mount sinai and Washington MCB) expect international students to fly to the US for interviews?

On 12/11/2015 at 1:27 PM, bioconfused said:

Anyone has any ideas of how international interview  invites are handled? Whether the interview invites go out at the same time when they know theyll be doing a skype interview?

And does anybody have any idea whether any other schools/programs (apart from mount sinai and Washington MCB) expect international students to fly to the US for interviews?

This was addressed a few pages back, but then search function will help you as this was also tackled last year and in previous years.

People in the international forum may have better answers. Here. http://forum.thegradcafe.com/

Apart from that, please contact the schools if they haven't given you clear instructions or options. 

8 minutes ago, bioconfused said:

And does anybody have any idea whether any other schools/programs (apart from mount sinai and U Wash MCB) expect international students to fly to the US for interviews?

I was planning to apply to University of Washington, Seattle's Molecular Cellular Biology department. But they said international candidates had to do On campus in person interviews and they wouldn't reimburse the cost. So I didn't apply there. So yeah, as far as I know I was Seattle has there international applicants fly to the US for interviews 

Ive been refreshing this page so often i might as well contribute!

Undergrad Institution: Huge state school, rising reputation for biotechnology/biomedical sciences but nothing amazing/horrible that would significantly matter on an application, also in Honors College 
Major(s): Biotechnology
Minor(s):
GPA in Major: 3.61
Overall GPA: 3.464
Position in Class: Pretty average/slightly above
Type of Student: first-generation female

GRE Scores (revised/old version):
Q:156
V:160
W:4
B:

TOEFL Total: (if applicable, otherwise delete this)

Research Experience: 2.5 years in a lab at my university doing research on microRNAs in prostate cancer. I have had a few independent projects funded through the university and have worked directly with the grad student on his thesis work (I will be second author when he publishes that). Presented a poster as first author at an undergraduate conference and presented a poster as second author at an international conference on noncoding RNAs. It was hard to not be able to put any publications because of how long I've been in that lab, but we are in the process of writing and this paper includes >3 years of work so I tried to emphasize that in my letter. (Don't want Ad. Coms to wonder why I've been there for so long with no publications :/ ) Participated in 2 summer fellowships through the university and have been awarded the Undergraduate Research Grant each semester I have conducted research.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Research and Mentoring Program Research Scholar

Gerontology Research Award

YES NSF (young entrepreneurs and scholars from NSF research fellowship)

Undergraduate Research Grant 

Honors Society 

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: TA for Group Effort Applied Research (new research lab course at my university started by my PI)

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: Very active in K-12 community, volunteered as teachers assistant at Title 1 (90% impoverished) elementary schools and volunteer as a STEM ambassador, was assistant coordinator of STEM Day when 1500 K-12 kids come to my university to learn about science

Special Bonus Points: female, first-generation, met one-on-one with a couple of faculty members at Scripps and UPenn prior to applying (not really bonus point, just hoping they remember me and vouch for me when they review my application).

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: Unfortunately, my PI is not big on positive reenforcement, and she is a very tough woman to please. I didn't know until I asked her for a LOR that she is not one for gushing over students in her letters. I never got to see my finished letter from her, but I saw a rough draft and it was less than amazing (really hope she came through on the final letter). She didn't speak negatively of me at all, she just didn't really say much that would make Ad. Com think, "omg we have to have this girl!!!" Since I told her I would not like to pursue my Ph.D at my undergraduate university with her, she has been very upset with me and takes it out on me whenever she can (not complaining or making excuses whatsoever, I just want people evaluating me to know everything!) Still keeping my head up, hoping my application package is overall good enough to negate her mediocre letter! (other letters: one from professor who knows me well, one from research advisor who I know wrote me a great letter).

Applying to Where: UPenn- Cancer Biology, Scripps, Vanderbilt- IGP, UT Southwestern, U Miami- PIBS, FSU, UCF, FIU, FAU, USF (all the last ones are Florida schools- kind of safety schools and I just love florida :D)

Edited by Caffeine Junky

33 minutes ago, StemCellBio said:

My first interview invite, UC Santa Cruz Molecular, Cell and Developmental Bio! I was getting so nervous, such a relief to have one!

I used to work there. Feel free to PM me if you have any question regarding the program/campus/faculty. I know most of the PI's except the 2-3 new ones that were hired. 

18 minutes ago, Caffeine Junky said:

Ive been refreshing this page so often i might as well contribute!

Undergrad Institution: Huge state school, rising reputation for biotechnology/biomedical sciences but nothing amazing/horrible that would significantly matter on an application, also in Honors College 
Major(s): Biotechnology
Minor(s):
GPA in Major: 3.61
Overall GPA: 3.464
Position in Class: Pretty average/slightly above
Type of Student: first-generation female

GRE Scores (revised/old version):
Q:156
V:160
W:4
B:

TOEFL Total: (if applicable, otherwise delete this)

Research Experience: 2.5 years in a lab at my university doing research on microRNAs in prostate cancer. I have had a few independent projects funded through the university and have worked directly with the grad student on his thesis work (I will be second author when he publishes that). Presented a poster as first author at an undergraduate conference and presented a poster as second author at an international conference on noncoding RNAs. It was hard to not be able to put any publications because of how long I've been in that lab, but we are in the process of writing and this paper includes >3 years of work so I tried to emphasize that in my letter. (Don't want Ad. Coms to wonder why I've been there for so long with no publications :/ ) Participated in 2 summer fellowships through the university and have been awarded the Undergraduate Research Grant each semester I have conducted research.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Research and Mentoring Program Research Scholar

Gerontology Research Award

YES NSF (young entrepreneurs and scholars from NSF research fellowship)

Undergraduate Research Grant 

Honors Society 

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: TA for Group Effort Applied Research (new research lab course at my university started by my PI)

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: Very active in K-12 community, volunteered as teachers assistant at Title 1 (90% impoverished) elementary schools and volunteer as a STEM ambassador, was assistant coordinator of STEM Day when 1500 K-12 kids come to my university to learn about science

Special Bonus Points: female, first-generation, met one-on-one with a couple of faculty members at Scripps and UPenn prior to applying (not really bonus point, just hoping they remember me and vouch for me when they review my application).

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: Unfortunately, my PI is not big on positive reenforcement, and she is a very tough woman to please. I didn't know until I asked her for a LOR that she is not one for gushing over students in her letters. I never got to see my finished letter from her, but I saw a rough draft and it was less than amazing (really hope she came through on the final letter). She didn't speak negatively of me at all, she just didn't really say much that would make Ad. Com think, "omg we have to have this girl!!!" Since I told her I would not like to pursue my Ph.D at my undergraduate university with her, she has been very upset with me and takes it out on me whenever she can (not complaining or making excuses whatsoever, I just want people evaluating me to know everything!) Still keeping my head up, hoping my application package is overall good enough to negate her mediocre letter! (other letters: one from professor who knows me well, one from research advisor who I know wrote me a great letter).

Applying to Where: UPenn- Cancer Biology, Scripps, Vanderbilt- IGP, UT Southwestern, U Miami- PIBS, FSU, UCF, FIU, FAU, USF (all the last ones are Florida schools- kind of safety schools and I just love florida :D)

Weird that your PI would be upset, I know most profs at my undergrad encourage students not to pursue a PhD at their bachelor's institution. You would hope she would not be petty enough to sabotage you.

That being said, I think your research experience should speak for itself! Plenty of students produce no papers during their undergraduate work, so it's hardly expected to be published. Even having a paper in production, especially contributing to a thesis, is a huge leg up. I'm sure the duration you spent in one lab will be looked upon positively as well, as it speaks to your ability to commit.

1 minute ago, BiochemVitD said:

Weird that your PI would be upset, I know most profs at my undergrad encourage students not to pursue a PhD at their bachelor's institution. You would hope she would not be petty enough to sabotage you.

That being said, I think your research experience should speak for itself! Plenty of students produce no papers during their undergraduate work, so it's hardly expected to be published. Even having a paper in production, especially contributing to a thesis, is a huge leg up. I'm sure the duration you spent in one lab will be looked upon positively as well, as it speaks to your ability to commit.

Thank you for the encouragement! Yeah, most PIs encourage you to go to the best possible graduate program. But she feels that she trains her undergrads to be good researchers so its unfair that they then leave her to go elsewhere after she put so much effort into us (she's a little infamous at our university as you can imagine)

On 12/11/2015 at 2:29 PM, goliath said:

Just got the call, I'll see you there!

Congrats!! 

I applied to the molecular microbiology and microbial pathogensis program at WUSTL; I hope I hear good news soon too :D 

29 minutes ago, Caffeine Junky said:

Thank you for the encouragement! Yeah, most PIs encourage you to go to the best possible graduate program. But she feels that she trains her undergrads to be good researchers so its unfair that they then leave her to go elsewhere after she put so much effort into us (she's a little infamous at our university as you can imagine)

Wow, you have my sympathy with that.  One of my friends from the summer had that happen and luckily he got in a PI that thought she was the shizz.  I'm sure your PI came through for you.

2 hours ago, Caffeine Junky said:

Unfortunately, my PI is not big on positive reenforcement, and she is a very tough woman to please. I didn't know until I asked her for a LOR that she is not one for gushing over students in her letters. I never got to see my finished letter from her, but I saw a rough draft and it was less than amazing (really hope she came through on the final letter). She didn't speak negatively of me at all, she just didn't really say much that would make Ad. Com think, "omg we have to have this girl!!!" Since I told her I would not like to pursue my Ph.D at my undergraduate university with her, she has been very upset with me and takes it out on me whenever she can (not complaining or making excuses whatsoever, I just want people evaluating me to know everything!)

That's just wrong. You have to wonder how people can be that self-centered. "Well you trained with me for a while, so now you should give up your own life's best interests to work for me for as long as it suits me." I was lucky enough to run across a very similar advisor early-on, who was less able to veil their attitude(s). Since being sensitized to it, I've been able steer myself toward some of the most cooperative and inspiring mentors.

24 minutes ago, NeuroMetro said:

That's just wrong. You have to wonder how people can be that self-centered. "Well you trained with me for a while, so now you should give up your own life's best interests to work for me for as long as it suits me." I was lucky enough to run across a very similar advisor early-on, who was less able to veil their attitude(s). Since being sensitized to it, I've been able steer myself toward some of the most cooperative and inspiring mentors.

It's very wrong, but at least I know that in the future I'll really appreciate a PI who is actually a mentor and wants me to succeed! And it really has prepared me for grad school, i've gotten some pretty thick skin over the past couple of years!

So I just talked to my PI, who is on the ad com for the school.... and he mentioned that all the reviewers are meeting to review phd applications for the department later this week.

Here's the kicker: Someone just posted on the results section that they got an invite from the program that my PI is on the ad com for.  Now I am seriously doubting some of the authenticity of the results people are reporting. 

If anyone else is borderline panicking (like I was a few hours ago), I'd like to send out a reminder to relax. I am taking a break from this thread and getting some wine.