2016 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Infinito

53 minutes ago, biochemgirl67 said:

Now I just want to get the UCSF reject as well.  I was going to call the coordinator but... I am barely holding onto hope that the BMS invites aren't all out.

EDIT: I didn't call because it's still 7:30 AM there.  I will call later and post what the guy says.  But if someone beats me to it, feel free to post.  I'd love to know.  I have to take my dog to the vet for a checkup

Don't bother people by calling them the week before university holiday and breaks.  These people have enough to do already, unless you have a pressing concern or whatever don't do it.  It really causes more work for them, it is unnecessary and no grad school likes a bothersome student.  If you haven't received an official rejection you may still be in consideration.  They may have a list of people in case people don't accept invites, they may interview and not like the applicants and want to interview more.  Just let it be and stop obsessing over ONE school.  If that is the only school you care about you should remove yourself from the other interviews and apply again next year.  It would be a shame if your invited school program's knew how much you are caring about this instead of being excited about your opportunity at their school. 

55 minutes ago, Omarou498 said:

Hey guys. Just wanted to say that I'm super excited to have received an interview offer from the University of Virginia for February; I was a little worried not to have heard back from any of the universities I applied to but I'm so happy and thankful to have gotten one. I was wondering whether I should e-mail back a thank you or something to the program. Any advice would be appreciated :).

It is not necessary to send a thank you at this time.  Just be timely and polite in any of your responses to the program.  If you'd like you can add into any administrative emails such as coordinating flights etc and simply say "looking forward to learning more about the program and XXXXX university." as acknowledging your interest.  I'd' send thank you to people or PIs following an interview but not before one.

18 minutes ago, biosci said:

weird question: if you have two interviews that are back-to-back, can you ask one school to fly you to the other school instead of home or vice versa?

Yes you can.  If it is significantly different in cost they may offer to reimburse you the amount it would take to fly you home as opposed to cross country if that is the case and have you select your own return flight.  Depends on the differences in location like if you were flying from new york to virginia to get home but now would go new york to arizona...that may  not get fully changed.  Also it saves the other school having to fly you out so I'm not sure how that all works.  Can you give us the locations?

Just now, peachypie said:

Yes you can.  If it is significantly different in cost they may offer to reimburse you the amount it would take to fly you home as opposed to cross country if that is the case and have you select your own return flight.  Depends on the differences in location like if you were flying from new york to virginia to get home but now would go new york to arizona...that may  not get fully changed.  Also it saves the other school having to fly you out so I'm not sure how that all works.  Can you give us the locations?

Great.  I live in California and have an interview in Connecticut followed by one in Wisconsin, so it would be really silly to have to stop over in California!

15 minutes ago, biosci said:

Great.  I live in California and have an interview in Connecticut followed by one in Wisconsin, so it would be really silly to have to stop over in California!

I'm in a similar position, but I live on the east coast.. I have an interview in Michigan, and then one in California immediately following. I don't want to fly back home just to fly another 5-6 hours the next day!

2 minutes ago, 123hardasABC said:

Today's one of those days when all hope is lost and I'm refreshing for rejection emails instead. What's everyone's favorite day-drink?

A long island would do the job on a day like this.

3 minutes ago, AstronautSteve said:

Egg nog and sadness

lol. Agreed. I'm assuming rejection from Columbia and Penn CAMB (although it does seem like penn sends a few interviews later on... not holding my breath). Ah well. Today is my last day of work before the holidays, so at least I can go hang out on my parents couch and distract myself with TV and alcohol. Maybe I'll get lucky and get Weill Cornell next week... otherwise I'm holding out for january for some good news!

Edited by parafilm

5 minutes ago, 123hardasABC said:

Today's one of those days when all hope is lost and I'm refreshing for rejection emails instead. What's everyone's favorite day-drink?

????wait why?! Don't give your hopes up yet 

12 hours ago, Extra Espresso said:

I caught one school mistype (left in University XXX's name in University YYY's personal statement) and luckily could still change out my document to the new one in the school's system, so I thought I'd go back and make sure I only made the mistake once. BIG MISTAKE. I ended feeling like my chances of admission were 0%. Never again. I will forever just submit documents and move on. 

Also, I am glad to hear you were successful with submitting closer to deadlines! Again, different program, but I submitted all of mine on the day of the deadline (all documents were in on time, but it was close), so I have my fingers crossed!

I found a spelling/biology mistake in one of mine like 3 days after submitting it!  I had a massive brain fart and instead of saying genera (pl. genus) I said genre (like music or movies or whatever).  I know.... I am so stupid.... I told my PI and he basically told me I was an idiot.  Also, it was in the SOP for my top choice!

Luckily the school allowed me to upload new copies of my SOP until they reviewed it.  I had a massive freak out when I saw that.

What's even worse is that not only did I miss that mistake when editing, but two of my friends in grad school and 2 other friends with BS degrees in Bio also missed it....

1 hour ago, brainsandeggs said:

Email from U Chicago Neurobiology faculty member today letting me know I got an interview! Huzzah!

Congratulations!!!! Go Maroon :)

1 hour ago, frozencurry said:

I'm getting a little worried about my Stanford app...I logged in to their online checklist and under transcripts, it still says "Received (not official)", even though I had them sent in early November. Anyone else in the same boat? I'm hoping they just haven't updated transcript status in their online application.

Why do programs even require official transcripts for admissions purposes anyway? They have us upload scanned copies of them...

idk if this has already been said, but my app says the same thing - I read into it a little closer though, and it says somewhere at the top that they only need your unofficial transcript for the initial review process and will use the official one later on in the time of acceptance...