MFA 2016 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

Xxanderr

@axolotolol
hey there! I think this forum is really great too! All the best for your application. Btw, how do you decide which painting prog would actually be 'interdisciplinary' ?

Thanks @Blizzardfire, well I hope I'll figure that out when I get a chance to visit the schools. I have a friend at UT and he really likes the program there. 

Thanks @Blizzardfire, well I hope I'll figure that out when I get a chance to visit the schools. I have a friend at UT and he really likes the program there. 

What do you think about the Northwestern prog? Just curious since it is one of your top choices

@le.xenia
I'm an international student too! sadly i have to clear TOEFL which is such a chore and not easy at all. Random fact, i think UIUC has an excellent graphic design faculty. Their graphic works and prints are amazing!

Yeah, I've already passed the TOEFL so I understand your feelings. Got 103, not the best result at all, but that's more than enough as far as all of the schools I apply to require >80. Thank you for the advice, I should definitely have a look at the UIUC program. By the way, my list: Temple, UF, SUNY at Buffalo, West Virginia, Kent State, IUP and maybe I will add 1 or 2 schools additionally.

Edited by le.xenia

After counting application fees, I'm realizing just applying to 4 schools alone can get extremely pricey. I'm thinking maybe 2-4  schools will be more than enough.  Already started my app for Yale, PennDesign and SAIC, going to decided if I should apply for a fourth school after Graduate Portfolio day in November. 

Just some interesting news-- Yale School of Art is searching for a new Dean to succeed Robert Storr, they started the search back in April of this year. Not sure if this is of any interest to anyone. I know some people make their decisions on schools specifically on certain faculty.   

What do you think about the Northwestern prog? Just curious since it is one of your top choices

Actually I don't know much about it, it's not in my list for prospective schools. I think Rutgers' appointment of Kara Walker definitely made an impression on what school I'd really like to go to.

After counting application fees, I'm realizing just applying to 4 schools alone can get extremely pricey. I'm thinking maybe 2-4  schools will be more than enough.  Already started my app for Yale, PennDesign and SAIC, going to decided if I should apply for a fourth school after Graduate Portfolio day in November. 

Just some interesting news-- Yale School of Art is searching for a new Dean to succeed Robert Storr, they started the search back in April of this year. Not sure if this is of any interest to anyone. I know some people make their decisions on schools specifically on certain faculty.   

I understand. I keep looking at my list and shortening it because the fees are building. 

Thoughts on reapplying to schools after rejection?

I was rejected from UCLA and UCSD two times and am considering reapplying this year. Do you think there is something in my application that doesn't fit with the schools and I should invest energy elsewhere? I would go if I was accepted to either school but am also trying to narrow my list and know there are other great programs. Trying to consolidate my list..

I was rejected from UCLA and UCSD two times and am considering reapplying this year. Do you think there is something in my application that doesn't fit with the schools and I should invest energy elsewhere? I would go if I was accepted to either school but am also trying to narrow my list and know there are other great programs. Trying to consolidate my list..

If you're in California, maybe you can visit and get feedback on your application? Applying three times seems like a lot, is there one that you prefer? Also, their programs are quite different in the sense that UCSD is very tech. based, doesn't seem as interdisciplinary as UCLA--but that's just my perspective. Both are on my list but I'm thinking of cutting UCSD simply because I'm not sure I'd fit well with the technology focus. 

For those wondering about Northwestern, I visited yesterday. It has absolutely EXCELLENT, guaranteed funding and a great faculty. If you need a big studio space then it's not for you, facilities are kind of basic and if you're looking for a program where you can focus on a specific field (like printmaking or sculpture), probably not the right program for you either. It's very interdisciplinary, very focused on independent study. Also very theory focused, they want to know why you're making the work you're making more--less of a focus on technique. The school itself doesn't have the resources to push its students in Chicago proper--so if you want a program that's going to do that part of the work for you this isn't it either. Definitely a good prospect if you want, essentially, a two year paid artist residency that allows you to dig into your practice, do research, and build from there. 

I wouldn't bother honestly. Replace those with two others. I do agree with asking what they specifically want for a candidate if you want to apply again, though. 

Hey Yall

Paul here, pleased meet you. did my undergrad in philly @ Uarts in printmaking. and have filled out 90 percent of my grad applicatins the last two years & chickened out. I'm planning on applying to:

Tulane

IU-Bloomington

UGA

and Penn design

(for Printmaking)

Im channeling my inner cuba gooding jr and hoping tulane and IU will "SHOW ME THE MONEY" but apparently UGA is good for at least a half tuition waiver and penn design isn't bad either. 

I'd be happy to answer any questions y'all might have about Uarts (in philly) or about Athens GA, live there for 2+ yrs. 

looking forward to chatting it up! 

If you're in California, maybe you can visit and get feedback on your application? Applying three times seems like a lot, is there one that you prefer? Also, their programs are quite different in the sense that UCSD is very tech. based, doesn't seem as interdisciplinary as UCLA--but that's just my perspective. Both are on my list but I'm thinking of cutting UCSD simply because I'm not sure I'd fit well with the technology focus. 

For those wondering about Northwestern, I visited yesterday. It has absolutely EXCELLENT, guaranteed funding and a great faculty. If you need a big studio space then it's not for you, facilities are kind of basic and if you're looking for a program where you can focus on a specific field (like printmaking or sculpture), probably not the right program for you either. It's very interdisciplinary, very focused on independent study. Also very theory focused, they want to know why you're making the work you're making more--less of a focus on technique. The school itself doesn't have the resources to push its students in Chicago proper--so if you want a program that's going to do that part of the work for you this isn't it either. Definitely a good prospect if you want, essentially, a two year paid artist residency that allows you to dig into your practice, do research, and build from there. 

Thank you for sharing your post-visit thoughts on Northwestern! Very helpful! May I ask the approximate size of the average studio?

Also, thanks to everyone for their generous and helpful posts! In the spirit of being helpful--and hoping I don't come across negatively--the "studios" at the Glasgow School of Art are, at best, quite awful. I received an offer for a 2015 start, but decided to withdraw after a visit this past May. Thankfully, due diligence can pay off! 

Wishing everyone much luck and success this application season! 

Thank you for sharing your post-visit thoughts on Northwestern! Very helpful! May I ask the approximate size of the average studio?

Also, thanks to everyone for their generous and helpful posts! In the spirit of being helpful--and hoping I don't come across negatively--the "studios" at the Glasgow School of Art are, at best, quite awful. I received an offer for a 2015 start, but decided to withdraw after a visit this past May. Thankfully, due diligence can pay off! 

Wishing everyone much luck and success this application season! 

I'm not sure how to describe them in terms of square footage--I don't want to guess because I'd probably be way off. They're not ridiculously small, but I think if you do large sculpture or very large paintings (more than 6ft tall paintings, for example) it'll be tight in the first year studios, the 2nd year are a little bigger. UChicago's facilities are more comprehensive (they have a HUGE wood and metal shop) because they just moved into a new building and share resources with the Theater and Music departments, but the studios aren't super big either--probably about the same size as Northwestern's 2nd year studios. I'm going to check out UIC today (I've heard they have the largest studios). For me, it doesn't matter much because my work isn't very large at all, it's the financial part that's going to be the deciding factor for me in the end. 

Edited by cpw0021

I'm not sure how to describe them in terms of square footage--I don't want to guess because I'd probably be way off. They're not ridiculously small, but I think if you do large sculpture or very large paintings (more than 6ft tall paintings, for example) it'll be tight in the first year studios, the 2nd year are a little bigger. UChicago's facilities are more comprehensive (they have a HUGE wood and metal shop) because they just moved into a new building and share resources with the Theater and Music departments, but the studios aren't super big either--probably about the same size as Northwestern's 2nd year studios. I'm going to check out UIC today (I've heard they have the largest studios). For me, it doesn't matter much because my work isn't very large at all, it's the financial part that's going to be the deciding factor for me in the end. 

Thank you very much!!

So who's started working on their applications? I think I've finally figured out which schools I'm applying to (see signature). I'm excited to get this ball rolling! I'm mostly nervous about building my portfolio, but I think I've done some solid work in the past few months so I'm trying not to be too worried. 

So who's started working on their applications? I think I've finally figured out which schools I'm applying to (see signature). I'm excited to get this ball rolling! I'm mostly nervous about building my portfolio, but I think I've done some solid work in the past few months so I'm trying not to be too worried. 

Narrowing down as well. Also working on a few new pieces. The portfolio and the recommendations are actually the only things required at my top school and so I'm nervous that without a statement that my work should be that much stronger. 

Hi y'all! First time applicant here, making the big switch from the non-art world to the art world. I was wondering if anyone else here is considering applying for two different media types, i.e. I'm torn between applying for ceramics and sculpture programs. Anyone else having this problem? Is it frowned upon to apply for both? Thanks for any input!

I was torn between painting and printmaking.  I also come from a non-art background.  Because you are not coming from an art background, I strongly recommend going where you will have the greatest latitude, which looks like sculpture.  I was really torn in choosing between programs printmaking vs. x-disciplinary.  I chose x-disciplinary and I'm very, very glad.  I learned how to weld over the summer and love it.  Now I'm in a program where I can explore it if I choose.  Even if you get into a ceramics program that says they have a lot of crossover with other departments, be wary.  Departments are jealous of their resources/studios and are loath to give access to students who are not their own.  

If you have the same portfolio, then you need to try somewhere else.  If your work has developed substantially, your resume more robust, and your recommendations more enthusiastic, give it a try but do not count on it.  

If you have the same portfolio, then you need to try somewhere else.  If your work has developed substantially, your resume more robust, and your recommendations more enthusiastic, give it a try but do not count on it.  

To those who replied I appreciate it.  

I have 5 new works, maybe six...so about 1/3 of the portfolio images are different. I would also have different references and will rewrite my statement of intent.  Still not sure though

To those who replied I appreciate it.  

I have 5 new works, maybe six...so about 1/3 of the portfolio images are different. I would also have different references and will rewrite my statement of intent.  Still not sure though

If I were you I'd visit (again if you already have) and try to meet with professors/directors to ask them what they think and discuss your application, applying again. At least you'll be in their memories as someone very motivated/intent on attending one of those programs. 

So anyone else going to MFA portfolio day on 10/26 in NYC? Any tips for portfolio day, cause honestly, as someone who has never had their portfolio reviewed by anyone of prestige, I'm decidedly freaking out about it. I know to only include finished shots, and I'm going to bring a physical portfolio as well as the digital one. (I'm a sculptor, so I'm just bringing photos.) I mean, how formal is this thing? Should I wear a suit or a dress? Do I need to bring artist statements and such? Or a resume or business cards? The portfolioday.net website is woefully unhelpful on this front. 

Thanks in advance for any advice you may be able to give to this MFA newbie. 

09welshs

All you really need is a digital portfolio and your artist statement. Bringing your physical work is optional, personally don't recommend it. I brought some prints, but I didn't bother to show them, they seem comfortable with looking at my computer screen. Honesty simulating how your work will be viewed during admission process might work in your favor. I'm looking to get feedback on my work documentation as well. Didn't see anyone dress up last year, whatever makes you comfortable. Maybe having your work on a powerpoint slides or something that doesn't required internet, just encase. Including your resume and business card wouldnt hurt or be crucial. 

If I were you I'd visit (again if you already have) and try to meet with professors/directors to ask them what they think and discuss your application, applying again. At least you'll be in their memories as someone very motivated/intent on attending one of those programs. 

Thanks for suggestions.

Yeah I may just visit and talk to some students and see if I would really want to go anyways. 

Is anyone interested in looking at each others statements of purpose? If you already have one drafted...? PM me.