MFA 2016 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

Xxanderr

alright y'all, i know this may be completely confusing:

For those of us who may have checked the forum in other years it seemed like Columbia changed their status according to whether you were still being considered or not by simply taking out the MFA after visual art in the application status.  I don't know if that's actually what they do or not but the people who said they still had MFA in their  title actually did get accepted so... anyone's status change?  In no way would that be a formal rejection or interview invite, but maybe I guess it could mean something?

Yale kind of looks like its the same application type, did anyones change there either? 

21 minutes ago, AKW94 said:

My website got viewed from UPenn school server last week :o, hopefully that's a good sign?!?!? They mostly went through my writing which is great becouse I wasnt able to include them in my app.  Oh and for the UPenn hopefuls, they will begin contacting applicants for interviews after the 5th of February.

Oh man, fingers crossed for you! Someone from Penn spent a decent amount of time on my site a week or two ago. Plot twist: I didn't apply there (:

I got all excited when I saw someone from Palo Alto had visited my site a few days ago, but it was a bot. Womp womp!

6 minutes ago, Alment said:

For those of us who may have checked the forum in other years it seemed like Columbia changed their status according to whether you were still being considered or not by simply taking out the MFA after visual art in the application status.  I don't know if that's actually what they do or not but the people who said they still had MFA in their  title actually did get accepted so... anyone's status change?  In no way would that be a formal rejection or interview invite, but maybe I guess it could mean something?

Yale kind of looks like its the same application type, did anyones change there either? 

Haha, had the same question but didn't have time to figure out how to communicate it.  Work is definitely suffering because of this site! 

Edited by paint_and_destroy

14 minutes ago, Alment said:

I think it could be little early to say anything for sure... From what I remember, Columbia sent out interview requests late Feb.

I found this!

On 2/13/2015 at 2:53 AM, Marchy said:

So I called Columbia yesterday out of curiosity about when they plan to hold their New Media interviews, because I've been trying to make a snap decision whether to fly to NY for the Bard interview, or Skype. The Columbia person I spoke with said they will be reviewing New Media/Sculpture applications next week!! and interviews will be held the first week of March.  This might be helpful to any of us applicants of Columbia/ multiple NY schools--- in the magical event that one might land a Columbia interview, it sounds like it may coincide with other NY school interviews. This is just a postulation.

4 minutes ago, arte said:

I think it could be little early to say anything for sure... From what I remember, Columbia sent out interview requests late Feb.

I found this!

Very true, it is very early.  the wait is very real. 

So I would have posted this earlier but I was at the Grand Canyon and had spotty service. 

Got an email from University of Minnesota (Twin Cities) saying I've been accepted for their Interdisciplinary Art and Social Practice program! Got a phone call later in the evening to follow up on the email. 

Thank gawd I heard something back. I feel so relieved now that I got in somewhere (and one of the schools that was high on my list). Booking a ticket sometime soonish for an open studio visit in late March to check out the school!

On 2/4/2015 at 5:43 AM, mlk said:

no.. they change your title to 2015 Painting MFA when they start considering applications and then if the MFA goes away that means you are no longer being considered as an applicant (i.e. you have been rejected). this has happened the past few years and is not an urban legend. which doesn't necessarily mean it will happen this way this year.

my title has not changed.

also it only pertains to columbia.

Found this while reading the last year's freak out forum. Checked my slideroom and it said 2016 New Genres MFA - I don't remember what it said before, but I guess they have started reviewing my application:wacko:  Fingers crossed..

AAAAHHHRRRHHH why is this so real!!! I wish it was all just a dream and when I open my eyes it'd be 2014, so I can start over my portfolio. 

57 minutes ago, gtakaoka said:

So I would have posted this earlier but I was at the Grand Canyon and had spotty service. 

Got an email from University of Minnesota (Twin Cities) saying I've been accepted for their Interdisciplinary Art and Social Practice program! Got a phone call later in the evening to follow up on the email. 

Thank gawd I heard something back. I feel so relieved now that I got in somewhere (and one of the schools that was high on my list). Booking a ticket sometime soonish for an open studio visit in late March to check out the school!

Dude! Congratulations!! You're killing it.

5 hours ago, gtakaoka said:

Congratulations!

11 hours ago, Alment said:

Mine still says MFA for Yale.

9 hours ago, gtakaoka said:

Congrats! I love your work! Those landscapes on ig are quite lovely too.

1 minute ago, Laceybug said:

Mine still says MFA for Yale.

Yeah I'm guessing all of ours do now.  Eh it was worth a shot to see, but it looks like there aren't really any clues for the Yale app.
and I guess perhapppps in a another week or two the Columbia apps may or may not change to reflect MFA/ not but again, might not mean much.

Hi All!

I applied to UC Davis and Stanford this year to get a feeling for the application process.

I got a Skype interview with UC Davis today and man I feel like I bombed it. They sent me a list of questions to be prepared to answer and I filled them all out and got ready for the interview. I have bombed every phone interview I have ever had in my life but I did my best on this one.

They told me to answer 2 of any of the 8 questions I would like to answer from the list they gave me, and my ramblefest started. I spent about 5 minutes talking about my process, at which point they asked me to speak about my conceptual background on the work. I did a bit more rambling about my process and a warmhearted story of how I aquired the materials I work with and then they asked me if I had any questions about the program. I asked if I'd be able to explore ceramics further and also take a course in the environmental department to strengthen my conceptual basis. They said yes they would love me to branch out and be all interdisciplinary- and also thank you for my thoughtfulness.

They said I will have an answer in 2 to three days. Wooooooow I have no idea what I said and like I have no idea how many other finalists there are! Does anyone know how many finalists they pick? I was so surprised!

6 minutes ago, katmartin said:

Hi All!

I applied to UC Davis and Stanford this year to get a feeling for the application process.

I got a Skype interview with UC Davis today and man I feel like I bombed it. They sent me a list of questions to be prepared to answer and I filled them all out and got ready for the interview. I have bombed every phone interview I have ever had in my life but I did my best on this one.

They told me to answer 2 of any of the 8 questions I would like to answer from the list they gave me, and my ramblefest started. I spent about 5 minutes talking about my process, at which point they asked me to speak about my conceptual background on the work. I did a bit more rambling about my process and a warmhearted story of how I aquired the materials I work with and then they asked me if I had any questions about the program. I asked if I'd be able to explore ceramics further and also take a course in the environmental department to strengthen my conceptual basis. They said yes they would love me to branch out and be all interdisciplinary- and also thank you for my thoughtfulness.

They said I will have an answer in 2 to three days. Wooooooow I have no idea what I said and like I have no idea how many other finalists there are! Does anyone know how many finalists they pick? I was so surprised!

I'm sure your ramblings are more endearing than you think they are.  Plus, I feel like that denotes a sense of authenticity.  Wishing you an acceptance!  

Edited by hypoart

8 minutes ago, hypoart said:

I'm sure your ramblings are more endearing than you think they are.  Plus, I feel like that denotes a sense of authenticity.  Wishing you an acceptance!  

Thank you I am actually hopeful I mean I feel my application was strong, I just have always bombed phone interviews and so Skype is like the worst way to interview me! I am much better in person especially in talking about art! I hope you win an acceptance too!

On 1/11/2016 at 2:50 PM, ideaperson said:

For those of you who are waiting for interviews, here is a link to some questions posted in an interview related thread from last year. Good list of questions here.

On 1/11/2016 at 8:39 AM, ideaperson said:

People also posted their results at this link which makes it easier to find for future applicants who might not read the old freakout threads which get pretty long. Posting both places would be a good idea. Some put their results in their signature as well.

http://thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php

Since it seems like interviews might be picking up some speed, I'm bumping these posts to keep them handy.  Thanks @ideaperson for the initial reminders.

17 minutes ago, katmartin said:

Thank you I am actually hopeful I mean I feel my application was strong, I just have always bombed phone interviews and so Skype is like the worst way to interview me! I am much better in person especially in talking about art! I hope you win an acceptance too!

I'm sure they're more than used to talking to people who are nervous. Don't sweat it! Your work is really strong and that's far and away the most important thing. Hoping for the best for you!

3 minutes ago, looingk said:

I have a phone interview with UOregon!!!! I'm sure they're interviewing a lot of people, but it still feels pretty surreal. I can't go back to sleep! ?

Did they call you or send an email?

1 hour ago, katmartin said:

Hi All!

omg i did the exact same thing! I prepared all the questions then went on and on rambling. UUGGGH i thought THEY were gonna choose 2 or 3 ?! I - unlike you - also bombed the questions to them. Fully asked questions i already knew the answers too, both of which they told me the answers were on the website UGHHHH. 

2 hours ago, katmartin said:

Hi All!

Hi,

I also Skype "interviewed" with UC Davis today and feel the same. It wasn't an actual interview in that there was no dialogue. I had 8 minutes to answer the questions and 2 minutes for them to answer any questions I had. I felt nervous and rushed since they were already running late. I read the answers I had written and their response to my question was general and impersonal. I really like this school and I hope the interview went better than I believe it did. 

I wish I had rambled like you and kept it more real than just read my answers. At lease we'll know soon.

Good Luck.