MFA 2016 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

Xxanderr

I tell myself to calm down every day 

but lets get real we care about these results so much its not really something we can really pretend to take lightly amiriteee

When I'm at work I'm all "yeah thanks for asking i submitted all my apps so I'll just wait it out, no big deal, we'll see what happens and I'm in no rush, I can apply next year.  But enough about that, how are you!" 
But these are just the lies I spew to act like I won't be so butthurt when I get a ton a rejections :D

For me I felt like I was freaking out last year for other people and I wasn't evening applying. Keeping forgetting that I actually applied this year, been keeping busy with my last seamster of undergrad. SAIC seems to be on top of things this year with notifications, almost applied to Low-res but decided on Printmedia instead. 

Only if I could calm down!! All this wait and anxiety is killing me. The fact that it will continue to be this way for next two month is just... 

I always talk about how I have plan b,c,d, and how cool I am with the results, but to be honest, I don't think I 'll be able to handle it. Those rejections will be the first to break my heart... throughout my whole life!

And I'm eating my feelings right now. At least buffalo wings and margaritas will always be there for me...

Hey everyone.  I promised myself I wasn't going to look at these forums this year because I didn't want to freak myself out.  BUT, I got my first acceptance yesterday (third year applying) and figured my freak out is over.  

So yeah, I got a call that I was accepted to SAIC's Low Res program yesterday AND I was notified that I am a finalist at Tyler.  I figured I'd share that info in case it helps anyone.  I still had 5 applications to submit but I can now save my application fees because I like SAIC way better than any of those schools.  Lol

Anyway, good luck everybody!  

Wow, I am really happy for you. Thank you for sharing this. The SAIC low residency is my top school. I have not heard anything and yours is the second acceptance I have news of. Did they notify you by a phone call or email? I hope I hear something soon. 

Fingers crossed and spirits high!

1 hour ago, JoanneApril said:

Wow, I am really happy for you. Thank you for sharing this. The SAIC low residency is my top school. I have not heard anything and yours is the second acceptance I have news of. Did they notify you by a phone call or email? I hope I hear something soon. 

Fingers crossed and spirits high!

This is just a general question for anyone I suppose, but just wondering: What is the draw for you all of the low residency program?  And also for bwd2109: Do you prefer SAIC low-res over Tyler?

If I had the choice I think right now I would go for Tyler MFA because the painting program is actually phenomenal, Dona Nelson is an incredible artist and person, and a lot of recent Tyler Alums have actually already achieved quite a lot.  It is a smaller pool of people and I think they might get a bit more attention, if that matters to y'all. Plus Philadelphia is an amazing city with an awesome ICA, Phila museum, Vox Populi and other amazing galleries, and 1.5 hours/ 20$ bus round trip to NYC.

11 minutes ago, Alment said:

This is just a general question for anyone I suppose, but just wondering: What is the draw for you all of the low residency program?  And also for bwd2109: Do you prefer SAIC low-res over Tyler?

If I had the choice I think right now I would go for Tyler MFA because the painting program is actually phenomenal, Dona Nelson is an incredible artist and person, and a lot of recent Tyler Alums have actually already achieved quite a lot.  It is a smaller pool of people and I think they might get a bit more attention, if that matters to y'all. Plus Philadelphia is an amazing city with an awesome ICA, Phila museum, Vox Populi and other amazing galleries, and 1.5 hours/ 20$ bus round trip to NYC.

I would definitely go for a full time program over a low residency MFA. The two programs are not comparable. I chose the low residency because it would be very difficult for me to leave home for more than a couple months a year. I have also applied to a local full time program, UC Davis, along with several other low-residency programs. 

It's awesome to have choices. I wish you all the luck in your decision and your future. 

2 hours ago, bwd2109 said:

Hey everyone.  I promised myself I wasn't going to look at these forums this year because I didn't want to freak myself out.  BUT, I got my first acceptance yesterday (third year applying) and figured my freak out is over.  

So yeah, I got a call that I was accepted to SAIC's Low Res program yesterday AND I was notified that I am a finalist at Tyler.  I figured I'd share that info in case it helps anyone.  I still had 5 applications to submit but I can now save my application fees because I like SAIC way better than any of those schools.  Lol

Congrats! And good luck to everyone! This is going to be a good year. :)

30 minutes ago, JoanneApril said:

I would definitely go for a full time program over a low residency MFA. The two programs are not comparable. I chose the low residency because it would be very difficult for me to leave home for more than a couple months a year. I have also applied to a local full time program, UC Davis, along with several other low-residency programs. 

It's awesome to have choices. I wish you all the luck in your decision and your future. 

Understandable for sure!  The low-res program at SAIC looks pretty stellar, I thought maybe there was something else about it that I might not know though.  Good luck!

1 hour ago, Alment said:

Tyler seems like a great painting program and I totally agree re:Dona Nelson. I only didn't apply because I live in philly and wanted a change of scenery (been here a decade now). it is an excellent place to be a working artist; tons of affordable studio space as well, which makes for a very smooth transition once you graduate. 

Ughhh, When I check the status of my application for the school I really want to go to, it says Pending Items, and when you hover over that, it says 'This application requires receipt of outstanding items in order to process.' The pending item is my undergrad transcript, which I requested from my undergrad university about three weeks ago. I also requested my transcript be sent to a few other schools, but none of those say it's missing, so I assume it must have been sent. Last week, I emailed the school I'm applying to asking if they had my transcript and just hadn't updated my status page yet or if they needed me to try sending it again, but no one has responded to me. Should I just ask my undergrad university to send it again? This is so dumb. I'm pretty sure I had to upload a PDF of the transcript during my application anyways. I really want to go to this school. I don't understand why they can't even process my application without this document.

5 minutes ago, nikcav said:

Ughhh, When I check the status of my application for the school I really want to go to, it says Pending Items, and when you hover over that, it says 'This application requires receipt of outstanding items in order to process.' The pending item is my undergrad transcript, which I requested from my undergrad university about three weeks ago. I also requested my transcript be sent to a few other schools, but none of those say it's missing, so I assume it must have been sent. Last week, I emailed the school I'm applying to asking if they had my transcript and just hadn't updated my status page yet or if they needed me to try sending it again, but no one has responded to me. Should I just ask my undergrad university to send it again? This is so dumb. I'm pretty sure I had to upload a PDF of the transcript during my application anyways. I really want to go to this school. I don't understand why they can't even process my application without this document.

you should definitely just call them and talk to a person in admissions.  It would suck if your app wasn't reviewed because it was incomplete, but that being said I think it is pretty normal for transcripts and recommendations to be processed a little late and most schools will review the portfolio without those on time.  If I were you I would totally call though and make sure!  Its easy to ignore emails. 

I had the same issue at nikcav I sent a second email but this time looked at the graduate faculty in admissions (records) picked the friendliest looking person, lol, and sent her an email about my transcripts. She "found" them that day and changed my status. 

21 minutes ago, nikcav said:

I had the same problem with two schools. In both cases, I sent an email directly to a department, and they replied that my application will be considered with an unofficial transcript, so maybe you should also try this option. Still, I keep trying to reach admissions, because who knows, who knows.

Edited by le.xenia

58 minutes ago, le.xenia said:

I had the same problem with two schools. In both cases, I sent an email directly to a department, and they replied that my application will be considered with an unofficial transcript, so maybe you should also try this option. Still, I keep trying to reach admissions, because who knows, who knows.

I think the schools have so much going on that they receive our materials and just don't get around to updating their websites for us.  This happened with me at SFAI and SMFA.  Tyler still says no transcript, and it's really freaking me out as they haven't replied since telling me my application won't be reviewed until all materials arrive.  Another school didn't match my transcript to my application because my last name changed, so I hope this isn't the case with Tyler.  Ahhhhhh glad I'm not the only one with transcript issues.

Hi All! Did any VCU applicants receive a confirmation email after they submitted their supplemental app? I submitted the university app as well as the supplemental successfully, but it's making me nervous that I haven't received any formal confirmation email. Just figured I'd ask before I bother their admissions office. Thanks everyone!

2 hours ago, sissy_vicious said:

Hey everyone,

I'm a bit late to the party. I have enjoyed looking at everyone's work so far, so I thought I'd share mine:

www.chriswilliford.com

Applied:

SAIC - Printmedia, Visual & Critical Studies MA, Painting & Drawing

MICA - Mt. Royal School of Art (Interdisciplinary MFA)

you only applied to SAIC and MICA?

9 hours ago, bwd2109 said:

Hey bwd2109, congrats on SAIC and Tyler! 

Did you apply to sculpture?

My website got viewed from UPenn school server last week :o, hopefully that's a good sign?!?!? They mostly went through my writing which is great becouse I wasnt able to include them in my app.  Oh and for the UPenn hopefuls, they will begin contacting applicants for interviews after the 5th of February.