MFA 2016 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

Xxanderr

On 1/22/2016 at 0:35 PM, helloimhere said:

Hey! A friend and I heard from UCSB last weekend. We got offered an interview. Have you heard anything? I talked to Carol Talley. She says they are interviewing 12 and accepting 8. There may be a wait list but the final number will be 8. 

Also, I was curious why you think they're a good fit for you?

Finally, have you met with them previously, i.e. before you applied? They seem to like having prospective students visit prior to applications. Best of luck! 

I talked to Carol , I didn't make the shortlist, so I'm guessing I not getting in.

The faculty there (George Legrady) has ties to tech and art. They also at the MAT program but since I am still learning how to code I am not up to par with their standards, yet. My work has been steering more and more into Technology base Art which is why I thought I would be a great fit. But the more I think, I might want to try and broaden my horizon and go for their MAT program, its  a Master of Science rather than an MFA. We shall see what the future hold!

I did visit the campus , I met with Carol but not with any faculty. 

Best of Luck! 

Edited by straydog654

15 minutes ago, le.xenia said:

Just logged in to Umass Dartmouth account to check whether my trascript has appeared in their system, and saw a message that I have been accepted. I even didn't recieve any letter! Is it real or just a system error? lol

Hey, that's quite a wonderful surprise! From transcript worries to an acceptance, congrats!

10 minutes ago, hypoart said:

Hey, that's quite a wonderful surprise! From transcript worries to an acceptance, congrats!

Thanks! Well, that isn't my top-choice and they will make funding decisions by mid-feb, so I can't completely relax, but still pleased to get my first acceptance.

25 minutes ago, straydog654 said:

I talked to Carol , I didn't make the shortlist, so I'm guessing I not getting in.

The faculty there (George Legrady) has ties to tech and art. They also at the MAT program but since I am still learning how to code I am not up to par with their standards, yet. My work has been steering more and more into Technology base Art which is why I thought I would be a great fit. But the more I think, I might want to try and broaden my horizon and go for their MAT program, its  a Master of Science rather than an MFA. We shall see what the future hold!

I did visit the campus , I met with Carol but not with any faculty. 

Best of Luck! 

Have you heard of NYU's ITP program? It's not an MFA, but an MPS (Master of Professional Studies) -- I thought about applying briefly, but decided not to. Might be worth looking into, but it seems like that program is significantly larger than most universities' MFA programs, and I'm not sure what kind of funding they have available.

Good luck to you!

Just now, le.xenia said:

Thanks! Well, that isn't my top-choice and they will make funding decisions by mid-feb, so I can't completely relax, but still pleased to get my first acceptance.

Yeah, but you're in somewhere! Congrats, and hoping this is the first of many for you.

I have to ask you about UIUC. I don't have an email confirmation that they actually received my application (though when I log in, the app status is submitted). Curious if you had the same thing happen to you.

47 minutes ago, Relm said:

Yeah, but you're in somewhere! Congrats, and hoping this is the first of many for you.

I have to ask you about UIUC. I don't have an email confirmation that they actually received my application (though when I log in, the app status is submitted). Curious if you had the same thing happen to you.

Thank you!

Sure. I haven't recieve confirmation letter too and my app status is submitted as well, so I think it's a normal thing for them. Same happened to me with UF application, so you don't have to worry about it :) 

1 hour ago, arte said:

I just got an interview invite for Tyler sculpture!!!

congrats dude!! when's it happening?

38 minutes ago, le.xenia said:

Sure. I haven't recieve confirmation letter too and my app status is submitted as well, so I think it's a normal thing for them. Same happened to me with UF application, so you don't have to worry about it :) 

thank you so so so much (: (: 

18 hours ago, le.xenia said:

Just logged in to Umass Dartmouth account to check whether my trascript has appeared in their system, and saw a message that I have been accepted. I even didn't recieve any letter! Is it real or just a system error? lol

I decided to log into my account. I have the same message. "It is my pleasure to inform you that you have been accepted into the graduate program at the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth. Details of your admission are sent under separate cover." I hope this is real!

UMASS Dartmouth.JPG

On 1/26/2016 at 4:08 PM, le.xenia said:

I had the same problem with two schools. In both cases, I sent an email directly to a department, and they replied that my application will be considered with an unofficial transcript, so maybe you should also try this option. Still, I keep trying to reach admissions, because who knows, who knows.

On 1/26/2016 at 5:11 PM, Laceybug said:

I think the schools have so much going on that they receive our materials and just don't get around to updating their websites for us.  This happened with me at SFAI and SMFA.  Tyler still says no transcript, and it's really freaking me out as they haven't replied since telling me my application won't be reviewed until all materials arrive.  Another school didn't match my transcript to my application because my last name changed, so I hope this isn't the case with Tyler.  Ahhhhhh glad I'm not the only one with transcript issues.

I finally spoke with an actual person today. And now I'm super frustrated. My application was due January 15, but I sent everything in around the 5th and had my transcript sent around then too. The girl I spoke to said they still haven't finished matching transcripts they received in late December/early January with the corresponding application, and that they can't send the application to the department until then. So it's possible they just haven't gotten to mine yet, but she said I should speak to my undergrad school to just make sure it was sent (which I'm about 98% sure it was since all the other schools I applied to have received them)

This was a school that used slideroom to submit the portfolio and statements though, so do you guys think maybe the art department is at least able to look at that, even without the actual application?

11 minutes ago, jennaleigh26 said:

I decided to log into my account. I have the same message. "It is my pleasure to inform you that you have been accepted into the graduate program at the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth. Details of your admission are sent under separate cover." I hope this is real!

Congrat!!!!! It would feel so relieved to know the results! better yet get accepted!!! 

2 hours ago, jennaleigh26 said:

Sure it is! Congrats!

Could you please PM me when you'll receive a letter from them"? I would like to know what's in it, because I'm an international applicant and will wait to receive this letter "with details on your admission" for a very very long time.

Congrats to everyone who's already gotten acceptances!!!

Do y'all have any idea how long it might take from a department making a decision to notifying you of the decision? I had an interview with University of Arizona last weekend and was told their committee was meeting on Tuesday and that I would be notified shortly. I know it really hasn't been that long but I still haven't heard anything and I'm starting to assume that means bad news.

2 hours ago, nikcav said:

I finally spoke with an actual person today. And now I'm super frustrated. My application was due January 15, but I sent everything in around the 5th and had my transcript sent around then too. The girl I spoke to said they still haven't finished matching transcripts they received in late December/early January with the corresponding application, and that they can't send the application to the department until then. So it's possible they just haven't gotten to mine yet, but she said I should speak to my undergrad school to just make sure it was sent (which I'm about 98% sure it was since all the other schools I applied to have received them)

This was a school that used slideroom to submit the portfolio and statements though, so do you guys think maybe the art department is at least able to look at that, even without the actual application?

As I said before, I think you should contact art department directly. They have an access to your application, regardless if it is complete or not. For example, UMass still haven't received my transcript and, as you can see, I have been admitted, even despite that there was a message in my profile said that while my application is incomplete, it will not be considered. Send art department an unofficial transcript and ask whether your application will be considered in that case, while your official transcript is "on the way". Hope you will solve this problem!

@nikcav It was last Saturday. The chair of the sculpture department called me and it was on the spot. So it was unscheduled, but also pretty informal, I don't know if they even do interviews with everyone. But sculpture/3-D is my area.

And no, I haven't heard from any of the others, have you?

12 minutes ago, straightlines said:

@nikcav It was last Saturday. The chair of the sculpture department called me and it was on the spot. So it was unscheduled, but also pretty informal, I don't know if they even do interviews with everyone. But sculpture/3-D is my area.

And no, I haven't heard from any of the others, have you?

Oh, okay, that's interesting. Definitely good to know then. I'm in photo, and I haven't really been able to find any info about whether or not they interview or anything like that. And you're the first person I've seen post about them. I've just been hoping to hear something soon.

And no, I haven't. I guess since we just reached the 2 week mark for UNM and ASU perhaps next week they'll start contacting people. Keeping my fingers crossed! Good luck with everything!