MFA 2016 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

Xxanderr

1 hour ago, gtakaoka said:

Not sure if this helps, but I applied (and did a brief phone interview with drawing and painting faculty), and definitely did not get the invite to the MFA visitation day- so you guys might be further along than just the general applicant pool!! ;)

just got an acceptance email a few minutes ago! 

11 minutes ago, gtakaoka said:

Woohoo!! Congrats!!

14 minutes ago, cpw0021 said:

YAY CONGRATS CONGRATS CONGRATS!

thank you both! sorry if that comes as bad news, gtakaoka, but because of the departmental divisions, there's still a chance you might hear something, and it looks like you've got some really great options already!

Edited by dryheat

Congratulations to everyone on your interviews and acceptances. I'm a little sad that I didn't receive anything from uMich, uMich and Northwestern are really my top choices. I am a bit discouraged at this point.

Good luck to everyone. 

1 hour ago, dryheat said:

thank you both! sorry if that comes as bad news, gtakaoka, but because of the departmental divisions, there's still a chance you might hear something, and it looks like you've got some really great options already!

Thanks dryheat! I am trying not to be disappointed by any rejections/presumed rejections since I am super excited about University of Minnesota. That said, my ego might be a little bruised if I don't get into ANY other places, but that's another story ;-[

23 minutes ago, looingk said:

Congratulations to everyone on your interviews and acceptances. I'm a little sad that I didn't receive anything from uMich, uMich and Northwestern are really my top choices. I am a bit discouraged at this point.

Good luck to everyone. 

Well, no one has heard from Northwestern yet--so there's still hope for your other top choice!

And good luck with your UO interview!

Edited by cpw0021

38 minutes ago, looingk said:

Good luck to everyone. 

U of Michigan was one of my favorite too. Sad it didn't work out... but oh well, I can only hope for other schools. 

I knew I wouldn't get invites from every school I apply to, but reality stings a lot more than I thought. I wish it was April so it'd be all over and I can go back to regular life... 

2 hours ago, cpw0021 said:

Well, no one has heard from Northwestern yet--so there's still hope for your other top choice!

And good luck with your UO interview!

Thank you for saying that, I'm slightly discouraged so I'm not gonna count on it. The interview was ok, I definitely did come off quite nervous though.

good luck to you :)

2 hours ago, arte said:

U of Michigan was one of my favorite too. Sad it didn't work out... but oh well, I can only hope for other schools. 

I knew I wouldn't get invites from every school I apply to, but reality stings a lot more than I thought. I wish it was April so it'd be all over and I can go back to regular life... 

I know! The reality indeed stings, I'm still hoping we end up hearing something good.

I can't wait for April too, at least then I can plan what to do with my life. 

Edited by looingk

1 hour ago, Dogss said:

I know how you all feel. I was really hoping for uMich and OSU to pan out. Hopefully UIowa will come though ! I hope if it doesn't work out we will keep our chins up. I hope I don't get too discouraged.

Good luck! I hope you receive some good news. :)

14 minutes ago, xanderesse said:

It sounds like painting and drawing departments move fast! 

How are you sculpture applicants doing? I received an interview request from Tyler School of Art last week. Hoping more roll in soon! 

I applied to Tyler sculpture too!! It seems like the schools are taking longer to send out invites compared to last year... or it could be just my brain:)

17 minutes ago, xanderesse said:

How are you sculpture applicants doing? I received an interview request from Tyler School of Art last week. Hoping more roll in soon! 

I applied to the sculpture departments at SAIC and Alfred and haven't heard anything. I have heard from SAIC Fiber and Material Studies program though.

it might be a little too early in the process to post this, but to those of you who are stressed because you haven't received good news from the schools you had your heart set on, i just wanted to say that i know exactly how you feel and maybe share a bit of my story, for what it's worth. this is my second year applying--last year, i applied to 5 schools, had interviews at 3, and got accepted to 2. of the two schools i was accepted to, the first gave me a terrible feeling from my interactions with the faculty, both in the interview and in email correspondence, and my gut told me that i would not be happy there. the second was USC, and even though it was obvious things were in flux there, i was still came very close to accepting their admissions offer (it would be a couple more months before the whole MFA class would drop out together). ultimately, there were too many unknowns (no set graduate faculty, funding offers that were changing from one call to the next, etc.), and i decided not to accept their offer either; with that, my hopes of going to grad school in 2015 went out the window. i was bummed, but i knew that i would be applying again this year and kept that in mind in all of things i did for the rest of 2015. I applied for more shows, more grant and funding opportunities, and a few residencies, and, while it may be too early to make this call, taking the extra year already seems to have paid off. i was able to apply with a portfolio of 75% new work, my interviews have gone better having done it once before, and the feedback and offers i've received so far are way beyond anything that came my way last year. i guess this is all to say i know how strange it feels to think you have a plan set out for the next two or three years and have that vaporize, but, if you don't get in anywhere you're excited about, that extra year might turn out to be a huge benefit. it was in my case. ;)

Edited by dryheat

21 minutes ago, dryheat said:

it might be a little too early in the process to post this, but to those of you who are stressed because you haven't received good news from the schools you had your heart set on, i just wanted to say that i know exactly how you feel and maybe share a bit of my story, for what it's worth. this is my second year applying--last year, i applied to 5 schools, had interviews at 3, and got accepted to 2. of the two schools i was accepted to, the first gave me a terrible feeling from my interactions with the faculty, both in the interview and in email correspondence, and my gut told me that i would not be happy there. the second was USC, and even though it was obvious things were in flux there, i was still came very close to accepting their admissions offer (it would be a couple more months before the whole MFA class would drop out together). ultimately, there were too many unknowns (no set graduate faculty, funding offers that were changing from one call to the next, etc.), and i decided not to accept their offer either; with that, my hopes of going to grad school in 2015 went out the window. i was bummed, but i knew that i would be applying again this year and kept that in mind in all of things i did for the rest of 2015. I applied for more shows, more grant and funding opportunities, and a few residencies, and, while it may be too early to make this call, taking the extra year already seems to have paid off. i was able to apply with a portfolio of 75% new work, my interviews have gone better having done it once before, and the feedback and offers i've received so far are way beyond anything that came my way last year. i guess this is all to say i know how strange it feels to think you have a plan set out for the next two or three years and have that vaporize, but, if you don't get in anywhere you're excited about, that extra year might turn out to be a huge benefit. it was in my case. ;)

Thank you for sharing your experience. I have a similar story and wholeheartedly agree that the experience of applying (and interviewing) along with time to recalibrate, make new work and build experience has been invaluable.

Congratulations to you, dryheat! And, congrats to everyone else for staying the arduous course of applying to grad school. :)

I applied last year and literally put no effort into any of the materials I sent.  This year, I actually tried.  But waiting a year did help me produce like 20-30 new works, 10-12 of which occupy space in my portfolio, so the extra year helped me as well.

2 hours ago, arte said:

I applied to Tyler sculpture too!! It seems like the schools are taking longer to send out invites compared to last year... or it could be just my brain:)

Glad it's not just me! Good luck with the Tyler interview! 

6 hours ago, xanderesse said:

Update! Received a call from SAIC earlier today to schedule an interview date. 

I'm not sure if I am ready for graduate school, but I still applied to a few graduate schools. I will be very happy to receive any feedback and comments from y'all.
http://www.xingyunxin.com                                     

Applying to :
Parson, Pratt, NYU, Hunter, Upenn
  •  

Northwestern folks--

Just emailed the graduate program assistant at Northwestern and heres the timeline: 

Finalizing interviewees on Friday, contacting people next week. Interviews will be *long sigh* February 26th and 27th. -__________-

WHY!?!?!??!?!?!

Edited by cpw0021

4 minutes ago, cpw0021 said:

Northwestern folks--

Just emailed the graduate program assistant at Northwestern and heres the timeline: 

Finalizing interviewees on Friday, contacting people next week. Interviews will be *long sigh* February 26th and 27th. -__________-

WHY!?!?!??!?!?!

Thank you, cpw0021.