MFA 2016 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

Xxanderr

I just received an e-mail from Parsons for an interview! This is my first response from all New York schools so far. Because it's so soon I'm going to interview via Skype.

18 hours ago, 09welshs said:

Question about the interviews, if doing them in person, how early should I arrive in advance? Fly in a day before? Two days so I can get settled? I'm coming up from Arkansas, and am really worried about Boston weather! Like, what happens if I have a plane delay because of another Snowmaggedon or something? I would hate to spend the extra money on another night in a hotel if I did not have to! Luckily my SMFA and Yale interviews are basically back to back, so I can knock it all out with one trip. 

Anyone else worried about the whole flight scheduling thing?

I grew up in Boston, and I would fly at least 24 hours before you want to be there. So if you fly the day before, fly as early as possible. You are more likely to have a weather delay if you have a layover at JFK or newark then if you fly directly to Logan, based on what I've seen. Hope that helps. 

So I'm still sitting here on a mental merry-go-round about the Penn interview and wanted to ask fellow interview preparers: what are y'all doing to get ready? Maybe this should be posted to a different thread, but we're all reading this one regularly so why not. My current plans involve going over that handy interview question sheet that has floated around for a year or two on this forum, re-reading my statement of purpose/artist statement/etc that I sent to that school (since each school wanted slightly different information), and preparing some questions for the interviewers in case they ask (they always seem to). Also...praying to every deity that I can think of and asking them to help me not sound dumb.

P.S. congrats on everyone who's getting good news!

1 hour ago, gtakaoka said:

So I'm still sitting here on a mental merry-go-round about the Penn interview and wanted to ask fellow interview preparers: what are y'all doing to get ready? Maybe this should be posted to a different thread, but we're all reading this one regularly so why not. My current plans involve going over that handy interview question sheet that has floated around for a year or two on this forum, re-reading my statement of purpose/artist statement/etc that I sent to that school (since each school wanted slightly different information), and preparing some questions for the interviewers in case they ask (they always seem to). Also...praying to every deity that I can think of and asking them to help me not sound dumb.

P.S. congrats on everyone who's getting good news!

That's exactly what I'm doing. I'm probably going to revisit faculty work as well and review program specific career/studio opportunities. I'm so nervous. First interview tomorrow. Good luck with your preparation!

7 minutes ago, AKW94 said:

Has anyone ever applied to Columbia's Advanced Painting Intensive Summer program...? 

I've never applied for the Summer Intensive, but I did my undergrad at Columbia and have several friends who've done the program.  (Both NYC and Paris) 

Herd about the Paris trip, don't think they're offering that this year sadly. If I get in I'm going to consider enrolling for the summer! What did you friends think of it? 

1 minute ago, AKW94 said:

Herd about the Paris trip, don't think they're offering that this year sadly. If I get in I'm going to consider enrolling for the summer! What did you friends think of it? 

Almost everything I have heard about the program has been positive.  The only negative I heard had to do with the Paris trip so it shouldn't apply in your case.  The studios for the program are the undergrad and first-year painting MFA studios.  From what I understand, there are daily studio visits with Gregory Amenoff as well as several visiting artists.  The program is pretty intense, like everything at Columbia.  I know one of my friends started a new painting each day of the program.  

1 hour ago, itscontents said:

Has anyone heard from Northwestern or know when they will be accepting/rejecting?

It's my understanding that Northwestern is sending out interview requests...tomorrow?! I think someone a few pages back said they finalized interview requests last Friday and they will notify on Monday. Which is tomorrow!

1 hour ago, rexkingiv said:

Hi Conny, I was invited to interview for a 3-year Graphic Design program as well. I'm an international applicant, thus I'll be conducting the interview on 12:10 PM via Skype (which means it'll be 12:10 AM over here lol). To be perfectly honest, I'm afraid I'll screw the interview up considering my English isn't that good (and I tend to ramble a lot to the things that I haven't reflect that much) and my engineering background isn't that much of help. I'm currently compiling a set of possible questions from last year's thread so I can have some sort of mock interview with my close friend lol. Oh well, best of luck to both of us!

hi rexkingiv :^)

i hadn't thought of looking up questions but i think i have an idea of what they might ask. I actually wasn't able to reserve a spot, it's all taken up. i'll have to call tomorrow and let them know of this. since domestic candidates have to be seen in person. anyway, what country are you from?

1 hour ago, rexkingiv said:

Hi Conny, I was invited to interview for a 3-year Graphic Design program as well. I'm an international applicant, thus I'll be conducting the interview on 12:10 PM via Skype (which means it'll be 12:10 AM over here lol). To be perfectly honest, I'm afraid I'll screw the interview up considering my English isn't that good (and I tend to ramble a lot to the things that I haven't reflect that much) and my engineering background isn't that much of help. I'm currently compiling a set of possible questions from last year's thread so I can have some sort of mock interview with my close friend lol. Oh well, best of luck to both of us!

12 minutes ago, rexkingiv said:

Indonesia represent!

how cool :-) 

did u apply to any other schools?

10 hours ago, gtakaoka said:

It's my understanding that Northwestern is sending out interview requests...tomorrow?! I think someone a few pages back said they finalized interview requests last Friday and they will notify on Monday. Which is tomorrow!

Well, I was told this week, not sure if that means today though. I hope so! 

12 minutes ago, cpw0021 said:

Oh man, I have been sitting here panicking because I know 9am has already passed in Illinois, so I was beginning to get the dread that I would not hear anything. I love how my brain selectively misinterprets critical information.

19 minutes ago, cpw0021 said:

4 minutes ago, gtakaoka said:

Oh man, I have been sitting here panicking because I know 9am has already passed in Illinois, so I was beginning to get the dread that I would not hear anything. I love how my brain selectively misinterprets critical information.

anxious about this one too! have either of you had a chance to visit the campus or meet the faculty/current grad students? thoughts?

19 minutes ago, dryheat said:

anxious about this one too! have either of you had a chance to visit the campus or meet the faculty/current grad students? thoughts?

I visited the campus in September, but didn't get to meet any faculty/students (there were all at the Istanbul Biennial!). I wrote about my thoughts a while about, about UIC too if you want to do a search in this topic. 

What did you think about Irvine when you interviewed/visited last year? Did you get any difficult questions?