MFA 2016 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

Xxanderr

21 hours ago, cpw0021 said:

I believe in last year's freak out thread someone who applied to PAFA had that change to her status and she was accepted. So congrats!!

You were right! I finally got to my snail-mail and I got accepted to both PAFA (Merit Scholarship & Grant) and UArts (Grant)! Yay!

*high-fiving a million angels*

11 minutes ago, BlCEO said:

I just got off the phone with Univ of Oregon.  Interview went well!

Woooooo!

6 minutes ago, meganmoriartyart said:

You were right! I finally got to my snail-mail and I got accepted to both PAFA (Merit Scholarship & Grant) and UArts (Grant)! Yay!

*high-fiving a million angels*

Congratulations! Two positive responses in one day!

Congrats to everyone with more news on interviews and acceptances!!! Woohoo!!

On an unrelated note, the woman I spoke to yesterday about scheduling an interview for Penn (a.k.a. the worst conversation ever where I sounded like the biggest idiot ever) said she would email me with the details about the upcoming interview schedule, as well as reserving a time for Monday evening regarding a Skype interview. I have not been emailed, and now it's the weekend. Even if Monday rolls around and the email goes out, due to the time difference between Pennsylvania and California I will have a couple of hours to get ready and that's it. I am now sitting here wondering if it's possible to have such a terrible phone presence that an admissions coordinator purposely "forgets" to send the required email. I can email the admissions email address to follow up, but it's basically a robot, or I can call back the number of the person I spoke with, but that could be a number at the school or someone's personal cell phone.

I am beginning to think it was a prank call. </panic rant>

16 minutes ago, gtakaoka said:

Congrats to everyone with more news on interviews and acceptances!!! Woohoo!!

On an unrelated note, the woman I spoke to yesterday about scheduling an interview for Penn (a.k.a. the worst conversation ever where I sounded like the biggest idiot ever) said she would email me with the details about the upcoming interview schedule, as well as reserving a time for Monday evening regarding a Skype interview. I have not been emailed, and now it's the weekend. Even if Monday rolls around and the email goes out, due to the time difference between Pennsylvania and California I will have a couple of hours to get ready and that's it. I am now sitting here wondering if it's possible to have such a terrible phone presence that an admissions coordinator purposely "forgets" to send the required email. I can email the admissions email address to follow up, but it's basically a robot, or I can call back the number of the person I spoke with, but that could be a number at the school or someone's personal cell phone.

I am beginning to think it was a prank call. </panic rant>

Doubt freak out! I think it just takes them a while to get things together. On Thursday, I was told I'd be emailed with details about Irvine and still haven't gotten it yet. I must admit, I'm a little anxious waiting for my email too. But seriously, I really don't think they'd rescind an interview offer over you being a little jittery. It sucks though that you're not going to know the time until Monday. But, at least you've got the weekend to prep. Good luck!

Congrats to everyone that is finally seeing some movement!

1 hour ago, yessssssss said:

I'm not expecting to see people hearing from UCLA for at least another week but just to be sure - has anybody heard from UCLA for Painting yet?

Yesterday I got an invitation to interview with the Design Media Arts MFA program at UCLA. I am sure their admissions offices are on different schedules than the painting but I just thought I would let you know.

Also yesterday I was accepted into Berkeley's Art Practice program! They are flying me out to visit in early March.

6 minutes ago, mlarghydracept said:

Yesterday I got an invitation to interview with the Design Media Arts MFA program at UCLA. I am sure their admissions offices are on different schedules than the painting but I just thought I would let you know.

Also yesterday I was accepted into Berkeley's Art Practice program! They are flying me out to visit in early March.

Whoa, that's amazing!  Now I'm more anxious to hear from UCLA.  Congratulations!  Hope the UCLA interview goes very well.

2 minutes ago, hypoart said:

Whoa, that's amazing!  Now I'm more anxious to hear from UCLA.  Congratulations!  Hope the UCLA interview goes very well.

Thanks so much! The interview isn't until March 4th strangely. I think they wanted to give a window that would allow me the opportunity to interview in person. I am opting for skype though. I bet that if they are planning interviews that far off then the other MFA programs at UCLA aren't rushing to finish the admission process either. I wouldn't worry much about not hearing yet.

11 minutes ago, mlarghydracept said:

Thanks so much! The interview isn't until March 4th strangely. I think they wanted to give a window that would allow me the opportunity to interview in person. I am opting for skype though. I bet that if they are planning interviews that far off then the other MFA programs at UCLA aren't rushing to finish the admission process either. I wouldn't worry much about not hearing yet.

I'd opt for Skype to if I were on the other coast.  Gives you time to prepare.  Hope ya get in :D

29 minutes ago, mlarghydracept said:

Congrats!!  The areas at UCLA all interview/notify acceptances at a different rate so I'm not sweating it if painters haven't heard yet. Hopefully you hearing from Design Media Arts means that the ball is gonna start rolling pretty soon with the rest of the MFA areas.  Thanks for the heads up and good luck with your interview!!

Lurker here just wanting to offer some perspective.  I am probably old enough to be a parent to most of you.  I come to the art world with a bachelor's, master's, and over two decades of work in other fields.  For several years I've been working on getting some official credential in the arts and finally decided to go for an MFA.  Got rejected last year and actually felt relieved; I wanted more time to feel settled in my own practice.  So far I have two interviews this year.  I wish you all the best, but know if your dreams don't come true this time, there will still be many good years ahead of you.  Also, I'm pretty sure a typo here and there in your application isn't going to be the thing that ruins your chances. (I noticed one in mine)  And, although this is the freak out forum, nervousness in an interview probably won't break you either, though being unprepared lump might.  Good luck and keep going no matter what happens. 

2 hours ago, yessssssss said:

Congrats!!  The areas at UCLA all interview/notify acceptances at a different rate so I'm not sweating it if painters haven't heard yet. Hopefully you hearing from Design Media Arts means that the ball is gonna start rolling pretty soon with the rest of the MFA areas.  Thanks for the heads up and good luck with your interview!!

Yeah hopefully UCLA comes through for me now!  haha.

Question about the interviews, if doing them in person, how early should I arrive in advance? Fly in a day before? Two days so I can get settled? I'm coming up from Arkansas, and am really worried about Boston weather! Like, what happens if I have a plane delay because of another Snowmaggedon or something? I would hate to spend the extra money on another night in a hotel if I did not have to! Luckily my SMFA and Yale interviews are basically back to back, so I can knock it all out with one trip. 

Anyone else worried about the whole flight scheduling thing?

2 minutes ago, 09welshs said:

Question about the interviews, if doing them in person, how early should I arrive in advance? Fly in a day before? Two days so I can get settled? I'm coming up from Arkansas, and am really worried about Boston weather! Like, what happens if I have a plane delay because of another Snowmaggedon or something? I would hate to spend the extra money on another night in a hotel if I did not have to! Luckily my SMFA and Yale interviews are basically back to back, so I can knock it all out with one trip. 

Anyone else worried about the whole flight scheduling thing?

When I did some school visits in November, I flew in the morning of and it was very nerve racking. If would recommend giving yourself 24 hours to get settled. And as for the weather, meteorologists usually know at least two days in advance if something bad is on its way. So just keep track of the weather and I am sure you'll be fine. If a snowmaggedon happens (which is very unlikely), then I'm sure the school will be flexible with rescheduling. 

1 minute ago, meganmoriartyart said:

When I did some school visits in November, I flew in the morning of and it was very nerve racking. If would recommend giving yourself 24 hours to get settled. And as for the weather, meteorologists usually know at least two days in advance if something bad is on its way. So just keep track of the weather and I am sure you'll be fine. If a snowmaggedon happens (which is very unlikely), then I'm sure the school will be flexible with rescheduling. 

Thank you for the heads up! I have definitely been watching the weather like a hawk! But then again I live somewhere where 3 inches of snow shuts down the city! (I've already had three snow days this year! Three!)

19 minutes ago, meganmoriartyart said:

@99welshs I agree, definitely fly in (early or mid-day) the day before to settle in. That's what I plan on doing for Irvine whenever they get back to me with the official details. :S

Edited by cpw0021

3 minutes ago, 09welshs said:

Thank you for the heads up! I have definitely been watching the weather like a hawk! But then again I live somewhere where 3 inches of snow shuts down the city! (I've already had three snow days this year! Three!)

Lolz! I'm up here in Minnesota and we only shut down if it's snowmaggedon and/or -35 degrees. So trust that your pilots have flown in all types weather. Plus, Boston gets an average of 48inches of snow a year so they probably have a pretty excellent snow removal system.

10 hours ago, meganmoriartyart said:

Lolz! I'm up here in Minnesota and we only shut down if it's snowmaggedon and/or -35 degrees. So trust that your pilots have flown in all types weather. Plus, Boston gets an average of 48inches of snow a year so they probably have a pretty excellent snow removal system.

they absolutely do not have a good snow removal system! they are even talking about trying to host the olympics sometime in the next decade soley to raise money for snow removal. plan well because the trains are constantly cancelled in snow... i lived in boston last year. take an uber, it will cost you though.

Getting anxious now that people have been hearing back from UT Austin and VCU, I applied to both for painting.

Question, those who are hearing back, have you already filed your Fafsa?  (its on my to do this this week...)

50 minutes ago, Funeralopolis said:

Getting anxious now that people have been hearing back from UT Austin and VCU, I applied to both for painting.

Question, those who are hearing back, have you already filed your Fafsa?  (its on my to do this this week...)

I just filed mine at the start of last week. Because I know I'm so busy this week that I'll forget to do it by the 15th, which is the finaid deadline for most of my schools.