Fall 2016 Applicants: Introduce Yourselves

jjb919

I am MPhil Philosophy student in Lahore Pakistan. I have a really really low GRE score and I considering retaking GRE but the thing is that my score is low because I lost my nerves during the test. And I think it will happen again. I am just not good at taking tests. My score is 148Q and 152V. Of course it isn't good for a PhD program but I was wondering if being an international applicant could help my case.

I applied for a PhD in Philosophy last year and received an offer from the University of Edinburgh. It was a huge deal for me but obviously I wasn't able to get funding. I have a deferral from Edinburgh so I still have till fall of 2016 to find funding but it won't really happen because Pakistan is not very generous when it comes to humanities' scholarships. 

Also, I would like to tell you that there are almost only two universities in Pakistan that offer a PhD in philosophy and they have a really sad faculty that can only possibly help you with Muslim Philosophy. I, however, would like to work on epistemology. 

Now, my plan is to apply to US but I am not sure what they are looking for. See now, Edinburgh did not ask for my GRE and that helped me. So, what do you think I should do? I really want to go to University of Arizona, Notre Dame, Cornell or the sort that are really famous for epistemology. 

So, my questions are: 

1. Do I really really have to improve my GRE score? Will they not consider that I am from a different country or something? I can hope that my samples are strong. 

2. I haven't been published either. I would really like to know how you do that, I wish I had someone to guide me through it. 

3. Do you think there are any particular universities that don't care much about GRE?

Edited by Hadeel Naeem

So, my questions are: 

1. Do I really really have to improve my GRE score? Will they not consider that I am from a different country or something? I can hope that my samples are strong. 

2. I haven't been published either. I would really like to know how you do that, I wish I had someone to guide me through it. 

3. Do you think there are any particular universities that don't care much about GRE?

1. Echoing what philstudent1991 said, since you are an international student it is more important to rock the TOEFL exam. Your GRE exams are low, but not horribly low, and there are extenuating circumstances since English is not your first language. Personally, I wouldn't bother taking them again; I would just have a letter writer mention your nervousness about taking tests to help explain. Focus your attention on doing really well on the TOEFL and polishing your writing sample as much as possible.

2. Being published doesn't matter (or at least it does not hurt not to be published). I had similar worries coming out of my MA program, but every professor I spoke to said not to worry over publications as an MA student. It used to be a few decades ago that no one was published coming out of their PhD and it was actively discouraged (the idea was to take all the time possible in graduate school letting your ideas marinate and not force a premature publication). Now it's common for PhD students to have 1-2 publications under their belt as they hit the job market, but you still see people getting jobs with no publications at all after finishing their PhD (granted, usually those are students from elite institutions). But even with things as they are now, it would be insane and completely unreasonable to expect an MA student to have published in order to get into a good PhD program.

3. I don't know of any strong PhD program that doesn't require GRE scores, but again, how seriously they take them is up to debate and I think prospective students have a tendency to over-inflate their importance. Again, don't worry so much about them and focus on the more important aspects of your application (writing sample, reference letters, major GPA...)

I think everything jjb919 said is good advice. But I will add that while basically everyone requires GRE scores, there are definitely some places that do not care about them or at least weight them significantly lower than comparable institutions. 

1. Echoing what philstudent1991 said, since you are an international student it is more important to rock the TOEFL exam. Your GRE exams are low, but not horribly low, and there are extenuating circumstances since English is not your first language. Personally, I wouldn't bother taking them again; I would just have a letter writer mention your nervousness about taking tests to help explain. Focus your attention on doing really well on the TOEFL and polishing your writing sample as much as possible.

2. Being published doesn't matter (or at least it does not hurt not to be published). I had similar worries coming out of my MA program, but every professor I spoke to said not to worry over publications as an MA student. It used to be a few decades ago that no one was published coming out of their PhD and it was actively discouraged (the idea was to take all the time possible in graduate school letting your ideas marinate and not force a premature publication). Now it's common for PhD students to have 1-2 publications under their belt as they hit the job market, but you still see people getting jobs with no publications at all after finishing their PhD (granted, usually those are students from elite institutions). But even with things as they are now, it would be insane and completely unreasonable to expect an MA student to have published in order to get into a good PhD program.

3. I don't know of any strong PhD program that doesn't require GRE scores, but again, how seriously they take them is up to debate and I think prospective students have a tendency to over-inflate their importance. Again, don't worry so much about them and focus on the more important aspects of your application (writing sample, reference letters, major GPA...)

My TOEFL score is 114/120. I think that's good. What do you think? And thanks for the advice, its very encouraging and helpful. :D

I think everything jjb919 said is good advice. But I will add that while basically everyone requires GRE scores, there are definitely some places that do not care about them or at least weight them significantly lower than comparable institutions. 

Hi, could you tell me which universities do no consider GREs much?

Hi, could you tell me which universities do no consider GREs much?

As far as I can tell, University of British Columbia, University of Wisconsin-Madison, and Cornell, do not require that you submit the GRE in applying to their PhD programs in philosophy. As far as which programs place less weight on the GREs they require: that is much more difficult to say. Admissions committees likely change from year to year. And, again as far as I can tell, there are no official policies for how to weight the GREs with respect to the rest of the application. 

This does raise an interesting question regarding those universities that do not require the GRE: do they think it suspicious when one does not send their GRE scores, despite their not requiring them? Would they think the applicant has something to hide? I've heard anecdotal evidence that this might be so, but it would seem incredible that any such program would do this. 

If anyone from any of the three universities listed above (or anyone with inside information) has any information on how they perceive the GRE in admissions, that would be very helpful. 

This does raise an interesting question regarding those universities that do not require the GRE: do they think it suspicious when one does not send their GRE scores, despite their not requiring them? Would they think the applicant has something to hide? I've heard anecdotal evidence that this might be so, but it would seem incredible that any such program would do this. 

For what it's worth, I didn't submit GRE scores to a very highly regarded program that didn't require them two years ago, and I was waitlisted there. I wasn't admitted in the end, but I don't think that had anything to do with the GRE. I was told that most of the people who received first-round offers accepted.

For what it's worth, I didn't submit GRE scores to a very highly regarded program that didn't require them two years ago, and I was waitlisted there. I wasn't admitted in the end, but I don't think that had anything to do with the GRE. I was told that most of the people who received first-round offers accepted.

Which program is this? I would really like to apply to a program like this one. 

For what it's worth, my GRE was slightly higher than yours (152Q/154V/4.0) and I did apply to six schools in the US (Harvard, MIT, Cornell, UPenn, UConn, U. of Miami) out of undergrad from an obscure non-English speaking university. I was initially wait-listed at UPenn, UConn, and Miami and rejected at Harvard, MIT, and Cornell. I got an offer out of the waitlist from UPenn (I withdrew myself from UConn and Miami lists), but for particular reasons decided to go to a place outside the US.

I think that the most important factors are having a good sample and being a good fit to the program that you are applying to. If you can get letters from American professors, that might help you as well. I would also strongly advise to look not only for good fit in terms of your research interests, but also for programs with a good graduate and staff community. This might make a big difference in the long run.

Hope this helps!

Hi Guys,

Applying for a couple schools in the upcoming season. 

Currently finishing up an MA in Australia. Working largely in continental philosophy. My dissertation is on Kant's political philosophy. 

I'm looking at a few programs in the US: DePaul, Villanova, Texas A&M, Vanderbilt and U.Chicago. The last one is a long shot.

My supervisor is pretty positive about my chances at the first 3 of these programs. We'll see how I go with my GRE score, but the practice stuff I've done looks positive. I've also presented at a number of conferences, and if all goes well, I'll have a journal publication by the time I have to apply (which I'd then use as my writing sample). 

Hey everybody, 

I was wondering if a graduate student could share a few DOs and DONTs on the personal statement part of the application but relating to philosophy specifically. 

Also, has anyone here applied to the University of Edinburgh's philosophy program? I have an offer from Edinburgh's PhD program but in order to go there I really need their scholarship. I am not sure what the scholarship committee wants me to write for them. 

I was wondering if a graduate student could share a few DOs and DONTs on the personal statement part of the application but relating to philosophy specifically. 

I can say a bit, though I'm no expert. 

Your personal statement is a good time to show that you're a good fit for the department. Your sample should prove that you can do high-quality philosophy, but your statement should prove you will be able to work with the faculty at Whatever University. Because of that, I would say you want to be fairly specific in your description of your interests (e.g. don't  just say "philosophy of language", because the subfield is pretty broad). If you aren't specific enough, then the department might think your interests aren't fleshed out and that you don't really know what you want to do. At the same time, don't be too specific (e.g. don't say "I am primarily interested in Donald Davidson's philosophy of language"). This is because, if you're too specific, a department might think you're too set on some particular topic and not open to change. 

One way to get around this is to say something like: "My main area of interest is philosophy of mind. More specifically, I am interested in the philosophy of perception, including non-visual kinds of perception. My writing sample is an example of this interest: I argue that considering non-visual kinds of perception provides further support for a non-conceptualist view."

(Disclaimer: I know next to nothing about philosophy of mind or perception.) 

I think that saying something like this would work well—it shows you know the subfield better than just saying "I like philosophy of mind", and it shows that you've thought about some specific topics (like non-visual perception) while situating it in the subfield more broadly (by drawing connections to the debate about non-conceptual content). But notice that it didn't get too specific, and that it stops short of endorsing a particular view—as a rule, don't explicitly endorse positions in your statement (save that for your sample).

I can say a bit, though I'm no expert. 

Your personal statement is a good time to show that you're a good fit for the department. Your sample should prove that you can do high-quality philosophy, but your statement should prove you will be able to work with the faculty at Whatever University. Because of that, I would say you want to be fairly specific in your description of your interests (e.g. don't  just say "philosophy of language", because the subfield is pretty broad). If you aren't specific enough, then the department might think your interests aren't fleshed out and that you don't really know what you want to do. At the same time, don't be too specific (e.g. don't say "I am primarily interested in Donald Davidson's philosophy of language"). This is because, if you're too specific, a department might think you're too set on some particular topic and not open to change. 

One way to get around this is to say something like: "My main area of interest is philosophy of mind. More specifically, I am interested in the philosophy of perception, including non-visual kinds of perception. My writing sample is an example of this interest: I argue that considering non-visual kinds of perception provides further support for a non-conceptualist view."

(Disclaimer: I know next to nothing about philosophy of mind or perception.) 

I think that saying something like this would work well—it shows you know the subfield better than just saying "I like philosophy of mind", and it shows that you've thought about some specific topics (like non-visual perception) while situating it in the subfield more broadly (by drawing connections to the debate about non-conceptual content). But notice that it didn't get too specific, and that it stops short of endorsing a particular view—as a rule, don't explicitly endorse positions in your statement (save that for your sample).

Cool!

Hey, are you enrolled in a graduate program? I would like someone to review my personal statement, I was hoping if someone already enrolled in a PhD program could help me with my personal essay and see if its fine. 

Cool!

Hey, are you enrolled in a graduate program? I would like someone to review my personal statement, I was hoping if someone already enrolled in a PhD program could help me with my personal essay and see if its fine. 

I am, but unfortunately my schedule in grad school makes it pretty much impossible to take on extra work, so I won't be able to commit to looking at anything. Sorry!

This advice is directed towards a lot of folks on this forum. Don't hesitate to apply to MAs, especially if you are coming from a non-elite undergrad. Most people, including me when I came out of undergrad, just don't realize how much pedigree matters in PhD admissions. Eric Schwitzgebel has compiled some pretty substantial data on this: http://schwitzsplinters.blogspot.com/2011/10/sorry-cal-state-students-no-princeton.html

The folks that get in at the top schools are from the very best undergraduate institutions or stood out at the top MA programs. So please, don't waste 1500 applying to the top 15 just to get shut out. Apply broadly, and consider applying to MAs. There are several great philosophy terminal MA programs. Check their placement pages and faculty pages to determine if one might be right for you. For starters, consider Georgia State, Northern Illinois, Wisconsin-Milwaukee, Western Michigan, Missouri-St. Louis or Houston, and if you have deep pockets, look into Brandeis and Tufts. 

Thanks for the advice. So far I've narrowed my list down to 13 schools: Three from the top 10, three from 10-20, three from 20-30, and four MA programs. 

I understand pedigree is important, but is it more important than the actual content of my application? I'd say my application is strong, but then again I am comparing it to other people from my program. My program is most likely considered non-elite. I'd hate to lose out simply because I couldn't afford to go to a strong undergraduate program. 

Thanks for the advice. So far I've narrowed my list down to 13 schools: Three from the top 10, three from 10-20, three from 20-30, and four MA programs. 

I understand pedigree is important, but is it more important than the actual content of my application? I'd say my application is strong, but then again I am comparing it to other people from my program. My program is most likely considered non-elite. I'd hate to lose out simply because I couldn't afford to go to a strong undergraduate program

Just being at a "non-elite" program won't sink you, although I do think it's a pretty big handicap. If one is truly amazing, I agree that one can overcome pedigree. But that's a tough road. That's what terminal MA programs are for. For one thing, I would note that stacking up favorably with your peers at a non-elite school probably means nothing. The applicants coming from the Ivy League and similar schools, departments with PGR philosophy programs and from the top MA programs (Tufts, Brandeis, Georgia State, NIU, Wisconsin-Milwaukee, etc.) are going to be outstanding. Another element related to pedigree is the reputation of your letter writers. Having famous letter writers helps, which again counts against non-elite school people. 

Your list looks good, but 6 top 20s is very ambitious. I'd cut a few in the T20 and add a couple in the lower end of the PGR (30-50). Having four MA programs, as you do, seems wise (as long as they are funded or you are independently wealthy).

Hi everyone, 

This is my first time applying. I attended a small, internationally unknown university in Europe, where I graduated with First Class Honours. I spent one year studying at a top 25 PGR department, where my GPA was 3.9. I also took a graduate course there. My research interests lie at the intersection of metaphysics, ethics, and the philosophy of action. I will apply to Arizona, Cornell, MIT, UCSD, USC, Brown, Chapel Hill, Florida State, and Princeton. Any other suggestions, given my research interests? Do you think I am being *too* ambitious? I have yet to prepare for the GRE and have never taken similar exams. 

Edited by metaphysician
typos

Hey everybody, 

Also, has anyone here applied to the University of Edinburgh's philosophy program? I have an offer from Edinburgh's PhD program but in order to go there I really need their scholarship. I am not sure what the scholarship committee wants me to write for them. 

You shouldn't worry too much about your personal statement in philosophy. Something that the admissions directors from MIT and Harvard were telling me: your personal statement will not help you, it can only hurt you. So here are some things *not* to do in a personal statement:

1. Do not sound too confident about what subfield/concentration you intend to study. It's great to put down your current interests, but don't limit yourself by saying you are only interested in one specific area and are only interested in perusing work in that area.

2. Do not rant about the one faculty member you cannot wait to work with in their department. Maybe that particular person is not taking any more graduate students at the time you're applying, because s/he already has too many. Maybe that person is planning on leaving the university in the next couple years. Maybe that person is terrible to work with. Who knows. The point is, you don't want to limit yourself to one specific faculty member. (It is okay, however, to list off a few faculty members who have similar interests as you.)

3. Don't sound pompous, or cocky, or like an asshole. Nobody will want to work with you.

I understand pedigree is important, but is it more important than the actual content of my application? I'd say my application is strong, but then again I am comparing it to other people from my program. My program is most likely considered non-elite. I'd hate to lose out simply because I couldn't afford to go to a strong undergraduate program. 

Pedigree is not what's important. What's important is how well your undergraduate institution did at preparing you to be a competitive applicant. The way to have a competitive application is to have an unbelievable writing sample, so the best thing your undergraduate institution can do is help you prepare a top-notch piece of philosophical work.

Hi everyone, 

This is my first time applying. I attended a small, internationally unknown university in Europe, where I graduated with First Class Honours. I spent one year studying at a top 25 PGR department, where my GPA was 3.9. I also took a graduate course there. My research interests lie at the intersection of metaphysics, ethics, and the philosophy of action. I will apply to Arizona, Cornell, MIT, UCSD, USC, Brown, Chapel Hill, Florida State, and Princeton. Any other suggestions, given my research interests? Do you think I am being *too* ambitious? I have yet to prepare for the GRE and have never taken similar exams. 

You might take off one of those top schools and add UC Riverside. Brown's placement isn't very good for their rank, whereas Arizona and MIT have exceptional placement for their rank. Just a thought. 

You might take off one of those top schools and add UC Riverside. Brown's placement isn't very good for their rank, whereas Arizona and MIT have exceptional placement for their rank. Just a thought. 

Thanks for your thoughts, philstudent1991! Unfortunately, UC Riverside has limited funding opportunities for international students. See: http://philosophy.ucr.edu/about-the-graduate-program/223-2/. I will also be applying to UK M.A. programs. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, all. Two points of interest.

1) Is there a woman applicant this year who wants to take over the Facebook group for women applicants? We have lots of climate contact info on there. If you are interested (and can show me that you aren't a troll), message me. I will turn it over to you.

2) Sorting hat for philosophy departments, courtesy of Eli Shupe: https://fauxphilnews.wordpress.com/2015/09/30/the-magical-gourmet-report/

UPDATE: The torch has successfully been passed! The new organizer of the group will be posting on here so that 2016 women-identifying applicants know whom to contact about joining the group. Best of luck to everyone this year!

Just to be more specific, we created a private Facebook group last year for women-identifying applicants. The group still exists. It contains quite a bit of useful information. If you choose to take it over, the responsibility is minimal: it just means adding other women-identifying applicants to the group upon request. This involves a slight bit of vetting to make sure you aren't adding trolls, but that's really just a matter of making sure the FB pages of people who ask to be added are legit. The group is hidden, so if you take over, please post on Grad Cafe that people can private message you to request to be added to the group. The group is also set up so that any member can add other members. This allows people to add their friends who are applying. I would also be thrilled to turn the climate contacts gmail account over to someone who is interested in continuing this tradition this year. I really encourage someone to do one or both of these things. It's not difficult, it's the sort of grassroots involvement that you can put on your CV, and it it's good for applicants to have a supportive community. I know a lot of you don't get involved with Grad Cafe until December, so I don't expect a response right away. Thanks. -Cherie

Edited by PreciselyTerrified