Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2016 admissions

MSW&MD

42 minutes ago, 2016_MSW_UoT said:

I'm not sure if this will help, but you are not alone - I feel all of these things too. I jump from feeling confident in my app to feeling hopeless about it, and I certainly have good experience but many less hours than a lot of what has been posted here. And I, too, have to make decisions (financial, where to live, where to work, if I need to work, etc.), but cannot make them without knowing if I am going to school next year. It is emotionally exhausting!

At the end of the day, we are all strong applicants and we are standing together. I know it helped me to read that other people feel anxious and frustrated with being unable to plan, so hopefully it will help others to have one more voice in the choir. :)

I also strongly agree with your feelings!! I empathize with both of you! I am not overly confident in my average or my experience. My average is 81% but since coming onto this forum I feel that is pretty average. I also thought I had good experience but not since reading the experience of others!! I know we shouldn't compare ourselves but it is hard haha! Where did you two apply? I hope we hear back soon so that we can plan for our future, I like to have everything figured out haha!

34 minutes ago, CalendarGirl said:

I also strongly agree with your feelings!! I empathize with both of you! I am not overly confident in my average or my experience. My average is 81% but since coming onto this forum I feel that is pretty average. I also thought I had good experience but not since reading the experience of others!! I know we shouldn't compare ourselves but it is hard haha! Where did you two apply? I hope we hear back soon so that we can plan for our future, I like to have everything figured out haha!

I only just graduated with my BSW this summer so im defiantly lacking in the post bsw experience  (although Ive worked in child welfare in a capacity other then as a social worker for the last few years). My average is  89% so hopefully that makes up for a bit of lack of experience lol. I applied to Waterloo only (defiantly regretting this decision now though). Im half thinking if I dont get in...I might try New England University. I have heard its clinical stream is good, its all distance, accepted by casw, and they are still accepting fall applications....but its super expensive!

37 minutes ago, mswhopeful16 said:

I only just graduated with my BSW this summer so im defiantly lacking in the post bsw experience  (although Ive worked in child welfare in a capacity other then as a social worker for the last few years). My average is  89% so hopefully that makes up for a bit of lack of experience lol. I applied to Waterloo only (defiantly regretting this decision now though). Im half thinking if I dont get in...I might try New England University. I have heard its clinical stream is good, its all distance, accepted by casw, and they are still accepting fall applications....but its super expensive!

Dude your average is great!! Don't worry !! I haven't done my BSW yet, so I am only applying to a 2 year program at Laurier. However, I am actually hoping to get into waterloo for their BSW program so I can raise my average and apply to advance standing programs if all else fails!! I think you have nothing to worry about, with that average haha! However, back up plans are good for us!!! Dalhousie's online BSW is my back up, back up plan ahah!! Is New England a advanced standing program?   Insert other media

11 hours ago, mswhopeful16 said:

I also applied to only Waterloo.. if you don't get in, there's no way I will! lol.. I graduated 2015 as well with about an 85 average and my only post BSW experience is child welfare. I'm not feeling too good about my chances at this point! I also wonder how much weight is put on the supplementary application information? I'm so nervous! Good to know about New England Uni though!

14 hours ago, mswhopeful16 said:

Your average is solid! I had a 91% average in my BSW and I was just accepted in the first round of offers at York. I think you will be okay, in fact I think it would be silly if they didn't accept you! If you are working now, I would recommend waiting another year before applying to American universities if you can. Tuition will set you back :( (But I contemplated the same thing at one point! So I know how you feel). 

There are lots of doubts going on in this forum! You all have stellar stats so do not worry too much, it is not healthy ;) Many qualified applicants get rejected each year because schools assess students differently (UT puts a lot of emphasis on research capacity)

Also, I noticed that not a lot of people are talking about west coast schools. UBC Okanagan has a good clinical social work program and it seems to be less competitive than others. Just wanted to throw that out there! 

On 2016-02-24 at 5:14 PM, Squishy said:
On 2016-02-25 at 8:35 PM, SW_Student said:

Thats so amazing! Congraduations! Also, did your rosi account just change today? have you looked at it since a week and a half ago when they first sent out their first round of admission for UofT Adv Standing!!??

Thanks! 

Congrats!! Yes, it means you got in :)

Sorry for the delay I just saw this! Unfortunately I'm not sure when they updated my Rosi account, I hadn't checked for about a week (guilty) so it could have been updated before Wednesday. HOWEVER, I received a package from U of T yesterday so chances are they only accepted me this week as I heard packages should arrive very shortly after you are accepted online. Hope that helps a bit!

13 minutes ago, COGSCI said:

There are lots of doubts going on in this forum! You all have stellar stats so do not worry too much, it is not healthy ;) Many qualified applicants get rejected each year because schools assess students differently (UT puts a lot of emphasis on research capacity)

Also, I noticed that not a lot of people are talking about west coast schools. UBC Okanagan has a good clinical social work program and it seems to be less competitive than others. Just wanted to throw that out there! 

I second that! Its worth applying outside of Southern Ontario if you can, the schools are great and they seem less competitive. Its so easy to have ups and downs during this process, but staying positive is key. At the end of the day, there are amazing future social workers who don't make it in every year and it doesn't speak to their abilities. A huge part of the process is also sheer luck!  keep persisting and you will get there :D 

Has anyone applying to OISE (U of T's) Master of Teaching program heard anything? I'm so freaking out it's not even funny. Also on ROSI, where would it say "invited"? I check like 12 times a day because I'm so nervous/excited, but I don't even know where I should be looking!

As a side note, my fingers are crossed for you all!!!!!!

Would anyone applying to Waterloo's BSW be able to explain to me how that process works. It says it's a 10 month program, but requires those 10 prereqs, so if you don't have them, how do you go about completing them prior to applying? I'm just finishing up my BA in psych, so I feel like I won't have many equivalencies. 

Thanks! 

1 hour ago, KatRousi said:

I second that! Its worth applying outside of Southern Ontario if you can, the schools are great and they seem less competitive. Its so easy to have ups and downs during this process, but staying positive is key. At the end of the day, there are amazing future social workers who don't make it in every year and it doesn't speak to their abilities. A huge part of the process is also sheer luck!  keep persisting and you will get there :D 

Congratulations on getting into York!!!!!!!! I read your earlier post about your long journey to the acceptance and I'm so happy you got it, you are most deserving (and resilient, a key social work quality)! I was just wondering, looking at your signature I see that you didn't apply to U of T this time around whereas you had applied several years in the past, I was just super curious about if there was a reason for this?

I was just reviewing last years forum and noticed some people provided an updated resume (this time of year) to U of T which seemed to be accepted. I'm wondering if anyone has done that this year, or if it's worth while? My understanding was that they will only review your resume and hours that had accumulated up to the point of application (in December), is there something I missed? Thanks!

15 minutes ago, Ach29 said:

I was just reviewing last years forum and noticed some people provided an updated resume (this time of year) to U of T which seemed to be accepted. I'm wondering if anyone has done that this year, or if it's worth while? My understanding was that they will only review your resume and hours that had accumulated up to the point of application (in December), is there something I missed? Thanks!

I suppose it depends on what program you're applying for but for OISE's Master of Teaching (at U of T) they don't want additional updated resumes or transcripts!

22 minutes ago, Ach29 said:

Hey Ach29, I would definitely recommend sending an updated resume to Angela if you have significant updates. From what I can tell, after each round your application package is looked at again. For instance, if you are placed on the wait list and a spot becomes available the committee will review all wait listed applicants and decide who should get the spot. I have updated my resume with uoft in the past, all you have to do is send Angela your resume and ask her to update your file. It didn't help me out as I never got of the wait list but I'm sure others have benefited from it. 

24 minutes ago, VictoriaKBun said:

I suppose it depends on what program you're applying for but for OISE's Master of Teaching (at U of T) they don't want additional updated resumes or transcripts!

This is actually a forum for Social work, so I was referring to that program, but thanks for replying

11 minutes ago, Ballym385 said:

Hey Ach29, I would definitely recommend sending an updated resume to Angela if you have significant updates. From what I can tell, after each round your application package is looked at again. For instance, if you are placed on the wait list and a spot becomes available the committee will review all wait listed applicants and decide who should get the spot. I have updated my resume with uoft in the past, all you have to do is send Angela your resume and ask her to update your file. It didn't help me out as I never got of the wait list but I'm sure others have benefited from it. 

Thanks, Ballym385. Might as well send them an updated version. It isn't very much but definitely more hours. I had just begun volunteering with one program and have done some more work, as well as my two current paid positions. I guess the worst that can happen is they don't include it. 

1 hour ago, Dani4 said:

Would anyone applying to Waterloo's BSW be able to explain to me how that process works. It says it's a 10 month program, but requires those 10 prereqs, so if you don't have them, how do you go about completing them prior to applying? I'm just finishing up my BA in psych, so I feel like I won't have many equivalencies. 

Thanks! 

Hey,

I am applying to waterloo for BSW ! There is a spring term non degree that you are to apply for to complete the perquisites. I have already been accepted for the spring term but I am still waiting to hear back about the Bsw!!! I heard they were reviewing the applications already. Did you apply?!

1 hour ago, Ach29 said:

Thanks, Ballym385. Might as well send them an updated version. It isn't very much but definitely more hours. I had just begun volunteering with one program and have done some more work, as well as my two current paid positions. I guess the worst that can happen is they don't include it. 

Someone posted earlier in this forum that they contacted Angela about sending updated resumes and she replied that they will only be looking at the hours up until December. 

2 hours ago, CalendarGirl said:

Hey,

I am applying to waterloo for BSW ! There is a spring term non degree that you are to apply for to complete the perquisites. I have already been accepted for the spring term but I am still waiting to hear back about the Bsw!!! I heard they were reviewing the applications already. Did you apply?!

Thank CalendarGirl! 

I didn't, I'll actually be applying for the fall of 2017, I'm just trying to get an idea of which programs I should apply to. So will you hear back about whether you were accepted to the full program before you start the prereqs? Is the spring term a separate application? Isn't 10 courses a lot for a spring term? I'm confused about how that all fits in? Also do you have any concept of what the acceptance rate is like for this program?

Thanks! 

16 minutes ago, Dani4 said:

Thank CalendarGirl! 

I didn't, I'll actually be applying for the fall of 2017, I'm just trying to get an idea of which programs I should apply to. So will you hear back about whether you were accepted to the full program before you start the prereqs? Is the spring term a separate application? Isn't 10 courses a lot for a spring term? I'm confused about how that all fits in? Also do you have any concept of what the acceptance rate is like for this program?

Thanks! 

Hey sorry I didn't give much detail.

If you e-mail Laura Newman ( her e-mail is on the university waterloo website) she can evaluate your transcript and tell you what credits can transfer to be the perquisites. I had 6 transferable credits, I will be doing 4 in the spring! Yes spring semester is a separate application. I will find out by march or april, before I will be enrolling in the spring. Hope this helps :)

8 minutes ago, CalendarGirl said:

Hey sorry I didn't give much detail.

If you e-mail Laura Newman ( her e-mail is on the university waterloo website) she can evaluate your transcript and tell you what credits can transfer to be the perquisites. I had 6 transferable credits, I will be doing 4 in the spring! Yes spring semester is a separate application. I will find out by march or april, before I will be enrolling in the spring. Hope this helps :)

Thank you so much! And good luck with admissions, I have my fingers  crossed for you :)

I just got home, and received mail from UOFT for the Advance Standing Program.

I've been waitlisted... I guess it's better than a rejection, and there's hope..... but got to admit I'm pretty disappointed. Just got to wait to hear back from  Windsor. 

Congrats to those who have been accepted!!!