Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2016 admissions

MSW&MD

On 2/22/2016 at 10:41 PM, smoresun said:

Yup! I'm hoping to be able to stay put next year. You? 

March doesn't sound too bad.. that's sooner than I thought!

Yes, also in Montreal, currently doing an MA at McGill. Also, I think it's March at the earliest--I think April is also a possibility but I'm trying to be optimistic! 

2 minutes ago, SW_Student said:

Nope! Still waiting! Hopefully we'll hear back something today! 

I know it's crazy. I have a few friends who received offers the first wave and they have to respond by Friday. I am thinking they are waiting for these response. That is not what they did last year but I guess they figure this makes the most sense. The thing is, most people will accept because the other local schools (Ryerson and York) have not sent out anything. Therefore, it would be idiotic to decline.

18 hours ago, KatRousi said:

I did the one-year HBSW at Lakehead at the Thunder Bay campus. Its a great program, I recommend it and Thunder Bay is an amazing place to learn about/practice social work. The placements are amazing since there is only one school of social work in the city. I was teaching DBT modalities in group therapy and had my own clients by the time I finished placement. When I was hired after placement as an addiction counsellor, I essentially had all of the same duties, so placement was almost as hands-on as a paid position at the agency. 

I hope you get into Waterloo! getting a BSW in 10 months is awesome, its essentially a little more than the foundation year in the two-year MSWs, from my understanding at least. When do you hear back from them?

Wow that  experience sounds amazing, If all else fails this year, maybe I should consider applying there! WOW. Waterloo has told me I will hear back from march- April :( Like most of the schools that I have applied to! Thank you for your positive information about getting a BSW I think it will definitely be worth it.

Edited by CalendarGirl

29 minutes ago, MSW-UofT said:

I know it's crazy. I have a few friends who received offers the first wave and they have to respond by Friday. I am thinking they are waiting for these response. That is not what they did last year but I guess they figure this makes the most sense. The thing is, most people will accept because the other local schools (Ryerson and York) have not sent out anything. Therefore, it would be idiotic to decline.

Ah, that makes sense. Thanks for sharing the information! I guess 2nd wave will go out next week then.

3 minutes ago, Squishy said:

Ah, that makes sense. Thanks for sharing the information! I guess 2nd wave will go out next week then.

I am still hoping this week, but, the rate they are going am thinking so as well. We can still hope for this week lol

19 hours ago, KatRousi said:

21 hours ago, KatRousi said:

I have applied to York's two-year MSW 3 times and I was rejected as well even though I was a strong candidate. I am pretty sure it was my GPA. Because they have SO many applicants, they eliminate people based on GPA first. That is what I heard from a friend who did her MSW at York, and I also know that most of her classmates had A's when they were accepted. When I spoke to someone on the phone from York this year, she said that its just the sheer volume of applicants, they have so many great candidates! She also told me now that I am applying to the Advanced Standing program, by chances are MUCH higher. If you haven't already done so, I would recommend applying to BSW programs as well. The advanced standing MSW programs are less competitive.

I applied to York's BSW two years ago and I was accepted with my GPA. 

Did you apply anywhere else?

Holy moly! Sounds like you had your determination to go to York. As I saw on your previous post, you did your HBSW at Lakehead Thunder Bay? I was looking at the Orilla campus, to do that as a Plan B if my other application to U of T didn't work out. I'd have to wait an extra year then :( 

Is Advanced Standing less competitive because most people are new university grads? I worked for five years in social services before I decided to apply. My GPA isn't high but I upgraded courses online at Athabasca University, which I don't think York weighted highly. 

So, how does everyone manage the extra gap year in between applications? I really had my heart set on attending grad school this September, that I'd quit my job (that wanted to quit anyway) to focus on taking courses to upgrade my GPA. Now I'm waiting on U of T and looking of a new job. Kind of hard, to be honest. 

Edited by rockerelmo

6 minutes ago, sosocialworker said:

yeah im hoping so too. Do you know how many ppl get excepted for the 1 year?

I have it written down at home, but if I remember correctly, 350 people applied last year and 100 people were accepted.

46 minutes ago, rockerelmo said:

Holy moly! Sounds like you had your determination to go to York. As I saw on your previous post, you did your HBSW at Lakehead Thunder Bay? I was looking at the Orilla campus, to do that as a Plan B if my other application to U of T didn't work out. I'd have to wait an extra year then :( 

Is Advanced Standing less competitive because most people are new university grads? I worked for five years in social services before I decided to apply. My GPA isn't high but I upgraded courses online at Athabasca University, which I don't think York weighted highly. 

So, how does everyone manage the extra gap year in between applications? I really had my heart set on attending grad school this September, that I'd quit my job (that wanted to quit anyway) to focus on taking courses to upgrade my GPA. Now I'm waiting on U of T and looking of a new job. Kind of hard, to be honest. 

I took the HBSW in Orillia, it is not a bad program at all. I am actually in my last 4 months of placement. They are not that great in finding Toronto placements (so I would suggest looking on your own even if they say don't, just forward then the documents when you do look and do not finalize the deal yourself) but all and all it was not that bad. it is something to get you where you need to go honestly. Lastly, it is not as easy to get in as people make it seem. I believe it was 500 or so application for 70 spots. so it is also quite competitive. I totally feel for you. it is a hard position to be in.

43 minutes ago, rockerelmo said:

Oh I actually made a mistake, I applied to the two-year at York twice (along with Laurier, McGill, and Carelton) and applied to U of T 3 times for the two-year. So its been a hell of a ride! U of T was the only MSW I applied to for fall 2014, but I also applied to York's 2-year BSW and Lakehead's HBSW (both Orillia and Thunder Bay). I, too, found out about the 'plan B' when it was too late! I had to wait a year to apply as well. 

Orillia was my first choice, but they can't provide acceptance to both campuses and I got into Thunder Bay. I think its because of my Northern experience, the same thing happened to a colleague of mine who worked up North with me. From my experience, it was a blessing in disguise and I liked the program at Thunder Bay campus, and I know my friend who initially wanted to go to Orillia feels similar to me. The program is not perfect by any means, but you get a BSW in a year and the placements are great! 

In terms of the gap year between, I have had a few gap years (lol) and I recommend getting out there and gaining more experience. Take risks with positions - both paid and volunteer - and diversify your CV while also adding various lenses to seeing the world, which will only enhance your abilities as practitioner. If you can, venture to the North. I know many schools are eager to have this perspective in the classroom, as I was told by York when I called before the application was due. That would be my advice, I took every year I didn't get in as an opportunity to better myself as both an applicant and a professional. If Plan A had worked out, I would have already graduated my MSW and have been working for over a year, haha! Its all about the Plan B. 

WATERLOO UPDATE:

I caved and called the school (I couldn't resist) and they are processing decisions this week (whatever that means) but we will know on Quest by early March for the MSW. Our Quest status will go from "application" to either "accept," "waitlist," or "deny."

So sit tight to all of us who applied! Early March will be here very soon and in the mean time I will stop checking Quest every half an hour (haha!)

Edited by KatRousi

Thanks KatRousi! I have been checking every hour and considered calling today haha. I'm surprised they don't send decision information out sooner as many people have already recieved other acceptance letters (requiring students accept offers) so they could be losing potentially great students by being behind. Hopefully it's not to much longer! 

I found out last week I got into Western!! For the one year Advanced Standing program at Kings College. :)

I just looked at my Rosi account  for U of T and it says "invited", does this mean I got in? I didn't receive an email or letter in the mail.

Congrats to all of the other successful applicants, you earned it! And those still waiting to hear back -have faith and don't stop trying until you get in. This was my second year applying for my Masters and I was so discouraged the first time when I didn't get in but I developed a stronger resume/personal statement this time around and it paid off.

11 minutes ago, Allyariella said:

I found out last week I got into Western!! For the one year Advanced Standing program at Kings College. :)

I just looked at my Rosi account  for U of T and it says "invited", does this mean I got in? I didn't receive an email or letter in the mail.

Congrats to all of the other successful applicants, you earned it! And those still waiting to hear back -have faith and don't stop trying until you get in. This was my second year applying for my Masters and I was so discouraged the first time when I didn't get in but I developed a stronger resume/personal statement this time around and it paid off.

Congrats!! Yes, it means you got in :)

1 hour ago, KatRousi said:

WATERLOO UPDATE:

I caved and called the school (I couldn't resist) and they are processing decisions this week (whatever that means) but we will know on Quest by early March for the MSW. Our Quest status will go from "application" to either "accept," "waitlist," or "deny."

So sit tight to all of us who applied! Early March will be here very soon and in the mean time I will stop checking Quest every half an hour (haha!)

Thanks for caving (we all wanted to!!) and passing this along. Early March is doable, painful but doable. 

Enjoy the rest of the week everyone! Back to the compulsive checking March 1st ?

17 minutes ago, Allyariella said:

WOW, CONGRATULATIONS!!!! I am thrilled for you! 

1 minute ago, CB_MSW said:

Thanks for caving (we all wanted to!!) and passing this along. Early March is doable, painful but doable. 

Enjoy the rest of the week everyone! Back to the compulsive checking March 1st ?

LOLOL, no problem! We can all relax for another week :D