Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2016 admissions

MSW&MD

3 hours ago, Squishy said:

I feel super nervous since mine still says "under review" as well. :( Best of luck to the both of us!

Don't worry about the "under review" they are not good at updating that.  Mine still said "under review" and didn't change to "decision made" until 2 weeks after I got my acceptance letter.

On 2/8/2016 at 8:45 AM, CalendarGirl said:

Wow Phogan, that sounds like allot of great experience. Were all of your positions full time? did you take time off between undergrad and graduate school. My experience is not nearly as extensive. I have been working at a residential home with individuals who suffer from severe mental illness particularly schizophrenia and bi polar for about 1.5 years full time. As well, I worked as an art instructor at a non profit organization for about 4 months full time (two summers.) I worked at various mental health organizations as a therapeutic art instructor and I have worked as a tutor through a counseling center for disadvantaged youth. Other than this, I was a camp counselor for two summers. I am thinking that I will need to take some time off to build experience, may I ask you what your undergraduate degree is in?

Hey CalendarGirl, thanks! They were all great experiences! Mm the caseworker positions were full-time, I worked in a residential group home during my undergrad and the research position was part-time during my final year of uni. My BA was in Sociology, minor in psych. It will be a year and half between undergrad and grad school.

Wow, your experience sounds great with such a focus on mental health! Did you apply anywhere else other than Laurier?

17 hours ago, Mcmaster5 said:

Ah ok sorry CalendarGirl was just checking as I dont see a whole lot posted about Waterloo on here and was just wondering if anyone else had applied. I did my BSW at Mac, so I cant offer anything more than a friend of mine is doing her MSW there and had positive things to say overall. Goodluck!

I applied to the 2 year online at waterloo. There aren't a lot of waterloo applicants on here. Many people are deterred from applying due to the low accepance rate...30 per program. Are you applying to the 1 or 2 year program?

Applied: University of Waterloo 2 year part time program

Accepted:

Rejected:

Will be attending:

Edited by rmiller

21 minutes ago, rmiller said:

I applied to the 2 year online at waterloo. There aren't a lot of waterloo applicants on here. Many people are deterred from applying due to the low accepance rate...30 per program. Are you applying to the 1 or 2 year program?

Applied: University of Waterloo 2 year part time program

Accepted:

Rejected:

Will be attending:

I applied to the 2 year, im really hoping I can do it online as would be so much easier not to have to travel, Only 30.. thats brutal :(

9 hours ago, Phogan said:

Hey CalendarGirl, thanks! They were all great experiences! Mm the caseworker positions were full-time, I worked in a residential group home during my undergrad and the research position was part-time during my final year of uni. My BA was in Sociology, minor in psych. It will be a year and half between undergrad and grad school.

Wow, your experience sounds great with such a focus on mental health! Did you apply anywhere else other than Laurier?

Hey Phogan,

For Msw I have only applied to Laurier, I would like to stay local and I love the concept of being in such a small program! The building is a cute old building in downtown, close to many social service agencies! However, I really don't think I have enough hours of experience I worked my butt off and I have only obtained roughly 3400 hours and I know that Laurier likes 3500 so I am feeling a little down on myself. I have also applied for two post degree bsw programs one at Waterloo and one at Dalhousie ( it is online which I am still unsure about.) I see you applied to a few other schools what is your first choice? 

40 minutes ago, avocadokween said:

Does anyone know how many people Laurier accepts for their 2-year MSW program and when they normally start sending out acceptances?

Hey,

Laurier accepts roughly 90 applicants and 600 people apply. Acceptances usually begin in April we still have a long way to go!! :(

Heads up to Carleton University applicants, pretty sure first round of acceptances are rolling out. My status just changed to "Decision made by Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Affairs: Application Approved", so I am guessing I am in!

This is for the 1-year Advanced Standing program.

2 hours ago, eculic089 said:

Heads up to Carleton University applicants, pretty sure first round of acceptances are rolling out. My status just changed to "Decision made by Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Affairs: Application Approved", so I am guessing I am in!

This is for the 1-year Advanced Standing program.

1 hour ago, 2016.msw said:

hi everyone

Just wanted to add to eculic089 that the first round of acceptances went out for Carleton University Two Year MSW. I got my letter today!

Congratulations eculic089 and 2016.msw!!

Hi all! 

I've been an active reader of this thread and the past years threads, and thought it was finally time to log on and write something! I have applied to MSW 2 year programs at University of Windsor, Wilfrid Laurier University and Carleton University, and the HBSW program at Lakehead University. 

Today, I got my acceptance letter to Carleton University and I am floored- I can't believe I a) got in!!!!!! and b ) heard so soon!!! :)! 

I am just looking for some feedback/suggestions etc comparing the Windsor, Wilfrid Laurier and Carleton programs.. ? I am no longer considering Lakehead due to the sole fact that I got into a Master's, but I am now thinking about Windsor and Wilfrid Laurier. Any one heard of good/bads about the programs, the size of the classes, when Windsor and Wilfrid Laurier send out acceptance/rejection letters etc?  

Any feedback would be awesome. 

Thanks!

3 hours ago, xonive said:

Congrats everyone who got accepted to their programs! 

The waiting game continues.. GoodLuck to everyone still waiting, I'm waiting with you! 

Yup congrats to all of you guys who heard back! The wait continues for some. Sending positive vibes out there. 

16 hours ago, andwewait said:

@Smpalesh   I noticed you have been waitlisted for Laurier Adv. Standing, when did you find this out ?  I still have not heard anything

That was last year, 2015.  I am currently completing my MSW at UofT :)

Edited by smpalesh

14 hours ago, CalendarGirl said:

Hey Phogan,

For Msw I have only applied to Laurier, I would like to stay local and I love the concept of being in such a small program! The building is a cute old building in downtown, close to many social service agencies! However, I really don't think I have enough hours of experience I worked my butt off and I have only obtained roughly 3400 hours and I know that Laurier likes 3500 so I am feeling a little down on myself. I have also applied for two post degree bsw programs one at Waterloo and one at Dalhousie ( it is online which I am still unsure about.) I see you applied to a few other schools what is your first choice? 

Sweet! Thanks for the info about Laurier! I really know nothing about the program or the city - how do people decide among schools? I'm not sure my first choice but I know I'd like to move from Calgary. I applied to 3 schools in Ontario so I'll be out east. As of today, I got into Carleton!

That's frustrating - do you think 100 hrs will matter to them? And what are these post-bsw programs people are talking about? is it a fifth year of social work? Pre-MSW prep?

11 hours ago, 2016.msw said:

hi everyone

Just wanted to add to eculic089 that the first round of acceptances went out for Carleton University Two Year MSW. I got my letter today!

Huge congratulation

7 hours ago, SaltWaterSea said:

Hi all! 

I've been an active reader of this thread and the past years threads, and thought it was finally time to log on and write something! I have applied to MSW 2 year programs at University of Windsor, Wilfrid Laurier University and Carleton University, and the HBSW program at Lakehead University. 

Today, I got my acceptance letter to Carleton University and I am floored- I can't believe I a) got in!!!!!! and b ) heard so soon!!! :)! 

I am just looking for some feedback/suggestions etc comparing the Windsor, Wilfrid Laurier and Carleton programs.. ? I am no longer considering Lakehead due to the sole fact that I got into a Master's, but I am now thinking about Windsor and Wilfrid Laurier. Any one heard of good/bads about the programs, the size of the classes, when Windsor and Wilfrid Laurier send out acceptance/rejection letters etc?  

Any feedback would be awesome. 

Thanks!

Hey! 

I applied to three of the same schools of you and have the same inquiry about comparing schools. I got into Carleton too, so we may be in the same co-hort! My friend is at Carleton now and enjoys it, sounds like less emphasis on clinical and more focus on structuralism than Windsor and WF.

10 hours ago, Phogan said:

Sweet! Thanks for the info about Laurier! I really know nothing about the program or the city - how do people decide among schools? I'm not sure my first choice but I know I'd like to move from Calgary. I applied to 3 schools in Ontario so I'll be out east. As of today, I got into Carleton!

That's frustrating - do you think 100 hrs will matter to them? And what are these post-bsw programs people are talking about? is it a fifth year of social work? Pre-MSW prep?

Congratulations ! That is amazing! I am not sure whether they will care or not, I have heard they are really strict, but its worth a shot I guess? Basically Waterloo allows you to obtain a BSW if you have the proper perquisites in only one year! So a) I could get more experience through practicum and b ) I will be able to gain more knowledge about social work. I could also benefit from raising my CGPA a little, its decent but definitely not a 4.0.

On 2/11/2016 at 9:57 PM, smpalesh said:

Don't worry about the "under review" they are not good at updating that.  Mine still said "under review" and didn't change to "decision made" until 2 weeks after I got my acceptance letter.

oh haha thanks anyways :)

Hi everyone. I'm new here. I just got the offer of admission to MSW (clinical) from university of Calgary and cannot make decision yet because I also got an offer of Rehabilitation Therapy assistant diploma program at a college. Does anyone have some idea about which one would have better career prospect? I don't want to be in debt after graduation since I will use student loan. So I want to have a job which gives me decent pay, flexibility,  and better chance of employment.

Since we are sharing experience... I'll share a bit about myself. 

Volunteered at a homeless community drop in centre for 1 year- roughly 500 hours.

1000 hours from my practicum at a community development agency. 

Currently working full time at an immigration agency,  plus running programs for refugee and Immigrant high school youth. My total hours on the application are less than what Laurier recommends but I wanted to try again anyways! 

My plans (if not accepted) are to teach abroad for a while, or continue my current position and study Arabic to hopefully pursue more immigration careers. 

Good luck to everyone else currently waiting it out,  and congrats to those already accepted! :)

Edited by LP3

On February 12, 2016 at 2:23 AM, Phogan said:

Huge congratulation

Hey! 

I applied to three of the same schools of you and have the same inquiry about comparing schools. I got into Carleton too, so we may be in the same co-hort! My friend is at Carleton now and enjoys it, sounds like less emphasis on clinical and more focus on structuralism than Windsor and WF.

Thanks for your reply! Awesome. Congrats to you! What's your first choice for schools? 

Hi everyone! I hope you've all been doing well.

I've applied to Emily Carr, OCAD, SFU, and York so far. Has been waiting it out for 2~3 weeks now, which I know isn't very long yet. Though a lot of my classmates has been getting acceptances, so I've been getting a little anxious. Has anyone received any sort of replies from these universities yet?