Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2016 admissions

MSW&MD

6 hours ago, WaitingWaiting4 said:

Ok... shut the front door!! Literally just heard the mailbox door shut and ran out side! I've been accepted to DAL!!  A conditional acceptance pending Faculty of Grad studies approval. I am shaking. I was just giving myself the "you most likely didn't get in, but that's ok" speech, lol. I have been working for 4 years to get accepted into grad school, with 2 failed attempts and 1 year of upgrading courses within that time frame. This means so much to me. I know may of you understand the struggles and barriers to becoming accepted, as an older student. I wish all of you the best of luck and please do not give up if this is something you are dreaming to do!! xoxox

Congratulations!! You earned it!!

19 hours ago, WaitingWaiting4 said:

Ok... shut the front door!! Literally just heard the mailbox door shut and ran out side! I've been accepted to DAL!!  A conditional acceptance pending Faculty of Grad studies approval. I am shaking. I was just giving myself the "you most likely didn't get in, but that's ok" speech, lol. I have been working for 4 years to get accepted into grad school, with 2 failed attempts and 1 year of upgrading courses within that time frame. This means so much to me. I know may of you understand the struggles and barriers to becoming accepted, as an older student. I wish all of you the best of luck and please do not give up if this is something you are dreaming to do!! xoxox

YAY way to go ! you deserve it :) 

Hi everyone,

I've applied to Carleton, Windor, Wilfred Laurier and U of Calgary. I heard back from Calgary this week with an official offer of admission!

This is my first year applying to 2 year MSW programs and I'm unclear about funding and deferrals. For example, U of C has asked I reply with confirming my admission by March 7  with a $500 non-refundable admission confirmation deposit but I'm waiting to hear back from other schools. The letter did not mention option to defer and Calgary is not my first choice. Does anyone know when we can expect to hear back from Carleton, Windsor or WF?

Also, do most offers of admission discuss funding offered?

Thanks! 

7 hours ago, CalendarGirl said:

Is anyone applying to Laurier 2 year MSW? What is your experience like? I am super stressed out about not having an adequate amount

Hey CalendarGirl, I applied to Wilfred's 2 year program too. My experience is 1.5 years as a community caseworker for two non-profits, 2 years as a child and youth residential counsellor, a paid research assistant and a summer position doing grantwriting and donation admin for a domestic violence shelter.

My volunteer experience is a bunch of short positions, nothing really significant with exception of 5 years of being a youth leader at my local church.

I'm not sure either I have enough experience, I think I have hopefully an average amount. What's your experience like?

Wow Phogan, that sounds like allot of great experience. Were all of your positions full time? did you take time off between undergrad and graduate school. My experience is not nearly as extensive. I have been working at a residential home with individuals who suffer from severe mental illness particularly schizophrenia and bi polar for about 1.5 years full time. As well, I worked as an art instructor at a non profit organization for about 4 months full time (two summers.) I worked at various mental health organizations as a therapeutic art instructor and I have worked as a tutor through a counseling center for disadvantaged youth. Other than this, I was a camp counselor for two summers. I am thinking that I will need to take some time off to build experience, may I ask you what your undergraduate degree is in?

Edited by CalendarGirl

Hello Everyone,

I am posting for a friend, she was waitlisted for Carlton's MSW Adv 1 year program. She is wondering what are the chances of being taken off the waitlist and enrolled into the MSW program.

Thank you :)

37 minutes ago, MSW-UofT said:

Just want everyone to know uoft Advance standing started rolling out. I know a friend who got in. OMG my heart is beating so fast. lol

9 minutes ago, sosocialworker said:

Omg so soon!! Did she get an email or a letter?

If it was by mail, which city does your friend live in?! Gahhh!

44 minutes ago, MSW-UofT said:

Just want everyone to know uoft Advance standing started rolling out. I know a friend who got in. OMG my heart is beating so fast. lol

Wow! Thats amazing! And so soon! Did their ROSI account change? 

Congratulations!! This is so much earlier than last year. The first offers started on Feb 18th based on last year's thread. I wonder if the 2 year admissions will also go out earlier... Anxiously awaiting!!

I applied to U of T's 2 year program and my Rosi still says no registration history but all of a sudden I am able to view my financial status/account balance (this was never there    before). This probably doesn't mean anything though, as its still early for the 2 year acceptances, it was just strange.