Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2016 admissions

MSW&MD

13 hours ago, Torontonian said:

How is it coming along for you? I have written parts of it over and over again and I can't decide on how to organize it... Sigh. Why don't they have questions like all other schools!

The way I organized it was by talking about my degree and my GPA in my final two years, then I talked about why social work interests me and my academic and career goals, then I mentioned all my paid and volunteer work I've done and went into my thesis and research assistant work tying that into the professor I would like to work with and then just a small concluding paragraph and that's the basic outline I've used.

Hope that helps you! :)

22 hours ago, Bettyg said:

i am wondering the same thing! I would assume they have it noted on our files somewhere that we were previously waitlisted, but they wouldn't necessarily have our old applications to compare. i want to show that i'm committed to getting into this program so i've done xyz but i'm not sure if that would just bring their attention back to the negatives that made my application unsuccessful in the first place. 

Hey everyone!

I'm currently in the 2 yr program at UofT. I was wait listed the first time I applied, they don't have your old application saved anywhere but they can tell based on your application number the first 4 numbers are the year you first applied so for me it was 20131022 (meaning October 22, 2013). 

Hi Everyone,

I have a quick question as to how they calculate your GPA?

For UofT and Laurier do they take your last 10 percentage marks and average them and then go on the omsas scale and see where it falls?  so for example, you average your last 10 courses and you have an 81% so that translate to a 3.7 on the omsas scale

Or do they take your last 10 GPA marks and average that? 

I am wondering cause if i were to average my grades it would be an 80.7 which is a 3.7 but if i were to calculate it using a GPA calculator it would be a 3.5

Hope this question makes sense and thanks in advance!

Does anyone know how strict U of T is with word limit? I'm over by a little less than 50 words (out of 500 max.) on one of the questions and am having a lot of trouble reducing it. I've been googling about this issue and many people said 10% over the word limit is acceptable... Also, 50 words is just 3~4lines extra.. :/ Any input would be appreciated! :)

11 hours ago, Squishy said:

Does anyone know how strict U of T is with word limit? I'm over by a little less than 50 words (out of 500 max.) on one of the questions and am having a lot of trouble reducing it. I've been googling about this issue and many people said 10% over the word limit is acceptable... Also, 50 words is just 3~4lines extra.. :/ Any input would be appreciated! :)

I hope they aren't too strict on word count because I went around 200 words over for one question.

4 hours ago, emilym123 said:

I hope they aren't too strict on word count because I went around 200 words over for one question.

If you went 200 words over I would DEFINITELY cut down. The point of the word limit is to show that you can write an effective statement succinctly, so I think it definitely sends a bad message if you go over to the point that it's noticeable. If the word limit was 700 I'm sure even would be more than happy to go up to that limit, so writing within the guidelines also makes it more equitable :)

21 minutes ago, wishingonuoft said:

If you went 200 words over I would DEFINITELY cut down. The point of the word limit is to show that you can write an effective statement succinctly, so I think it definitely sends a bad message if you go over to the point that it's noticeable. If the word limit was 700 I'm sure even would be more than happy to go up to that limit, so writing within the guidelines also makes it more equitable :)

Thank you, I cut back, it took a while, but I got it down to 500.

4 minutes ago, wishingonuoft said:

Awesome! It's also great practice for if and when you get into the program, they really expect conciseness and don't mark content that's over the limit!

I know, I'm usually good for being concise when it comes to papers, it's just harder when your trying hard to get into a school :)

2 hours ago, emilym123 said:

Thank you, I cut back, it took a while, but I got it down to 500.

Wow, that's awesome! Cutting 200 words must have been hard! I guess I should cut back too.. better safe than sorry :S

Edited by Squishy
Typo

On Tue Dec 01 2015 21:14:38 GMT-0500, rmiller said:

The application deadline for Waterloo's MSW program was today (Dec 1). Does anyone know when I might see an acceptance/rejection letter?  

I asked this question and was told:

We hope to have our offers/waitlist/deny decisions available (it will be listed on your Quest log-in) during March/April 2016.  If you’re waitlisted, you may still be offered a place as late as the end of June, as places become available.

4 hours ago, rmiller said:

MARCH! What a long time to wait. Thank you for your reply. Good luck with your application. Are you hoping for Part-time or Full Time?

Haha sorry to disappoint! I'm not looking forward to the wait either :( It's the only school I applied to, so I am banking on this one.  I applied to both part-time and full-time programs, so I am hoping for whatever I get!  Not too sure what I prefer at this point.  What about you?  And good luck to you too! :) 

7 hours ago, soapaddict said:

does anyone know any MSW schools that don't require you to have taken statistics?

I'm only applying to UofT, but I know that UofT doesn't require statistics. They ask for a research methodologies course in the social sciences. But as I have learned from looking at different courses to meet that requirement, most of these courses have some statistics component. But you don't need a pure statistics course. I can't speak for other programs. Hope this helps. 

Hey guys,

On your resume/CV how are you including your projected hours?  I have only done just over 80 hours of volunteering with Children's Aid so far, but should have well over 300 hours by September 2016.  I am having some trouble formatting my resume in a way that shows this.  Any help would be greatly appreciated! 

6 minutes ago, katkatkat said:

Hey guys,

On your resume/CV how are you including your projected hours?  I have only done just over 80 hours of volunteering with Children's Aid so far, but should have well over 300 hours by September 2016.  I am having some trouble formatting my resume in a way that shows this.  Any help would be greatly appreciated! 

For mine I put the hours next to dates that the work was completed and then put projected hours are 300

52 minutes ago, katkatkat said:

Hey guys,

When I was at the info session, they said that they only look at hours that you have completed so far regardless of how many hours you will have by the end of next year. So, you don't need to include the projected hours.

2 hours ago, sosocialworker said:

For mine I put the hours next to dates that the work was completed and then put projected hours are 300

1 hour ago, Squishy said:

When I was at the info session, they said that they only look at hours that you have completed so far regardless of how many hours you will have by the end of next year. So, you don't need to include the projected hours.

Okay good to know!  Thanks to you both! 

6 hours ago, sosocialworker said:

Hello all,

I'm finishing up my Ryerson app and I've completed everything, but I can figure out what the Application Submission Form is. Can anyone help me out?

I believe if I recall it was the form from the Ontario universities. It's just the summary of your personal information. It would of told u to download it but u can go again and download it at Ontario universities. 

7 hours ago, Squishy said:

For my resume I added my completed hours thus far for all my volunteer placements. I also added the duration of time I was there (month & year). So for positions I am still currently affiliated with they see that I am still presently there. 

Just out of curiosity, am I the only one here applying to U of T with no research experience besides your thesis (as well as an A in research methodology)?