Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2016 admissions

MSW&MD

On December 8, 2015 at 10:45 PM, Squishy said:

Hi Kosta,

U of T only looks at your senior level courses' grades (300 & 400 levels). When I was at the info session, they said that applicants of 2015's average ranged from B+ ~ A-. So grade-wise, I definitely think you have a chance! You are able to submit an updated transcript to them once this semester's final grade comes out; I think it's best that you do so in this case :) They said this themselves, so I'm certain they will look at it!

My opinion is that although you lack some experience in other areas, if your SOP, research course's grade, and recommendation letters are good, it might balance your application out. Also, you have a lot of work hours that are related to social service, which is awesome. So yes, I think you do have a chance, but hey what do I know? haha

I hope this helps a little bit! Good luck!

Do you know what they do to calculate your GPA if you have an MA? Would they still only be looking at my undergrad? Technically, the last two years of study for me are graduate studies. 

1 hour ago, phd2msw said:

Do you know what they do to calculate your GPA if you have an MA? Would they still only be looking at my undergrad? Technically, the last two years of study for me are graduate studies. 

Hmm.. I'm honestly not sure how they would calculate your GPA if you have your MA, but I think they would look at your last two years of your graduate studies since they are the most recent marks you have received.

40 minutes ago, Squishy said:

Hmm.. I'm honestly not sure how they would calculate your GPA if you have your MA, but I think they would look at your last two years of your graduate studies since they are the most recent marks you have received.

Thanks, I hope so. My grades fluctuated the last two years of my undergrad, but averaged around A-. I'm just hoping they put more weight on the last two years of graduate studies because I performed better. My guess is they will look at everything. They seem to have a more holistic approach in weighing candidates. 

On 9/5/2015 at 9:57 PM, cashman said:

So I'm wondering if going the two year full-time student route is even worth attempting at this time, considering my pretty meh GPA from my undergrad. I was planning to apply to U of T, York and Laurier. 

Currently am working in children's mental health facilities as a CYW. I have pretty great paid job/unpaid internship experience and in some really unique organizations so I'm less worried about having field experience.  I also now work for a prof at another Ontario university, researching a super interesting and emerging field. Prof is very very supportive of me, is giving me so much experience/responsibility and has basically said she'll do all that she can to help with this process. Win. 

But. I graduated from undergrad in 2011 with a CGPA of 2.98 from McGill, but if you're just counting my last year of studies, about a 3.30 (=B+).  Overall transcript is pretty littered with B's. After a getting an F in my first attempt at stats, I did get a B+ in the required research course.  Based on what I've been reading, this sounds hella mediocre.  I'm probably still going to apply regardless, but I don't want to get my hopes up if its not worth it. What do you guys think? Is this a long shot? 

Knowing a few people that have gotten in and been rejected, I'm a little surprised. Some of my rejected friends are probably the most qualified to work in the field and others who have actually gotten in I guess just spun the shit out of their statements because they are the most meh humans I have ever encountered, in terms of experience/research interests. Thoughts?

Hey I am not too sure if anyone responded to you, but I was in a similar position as a McGill grad from my BComm! I actually applied to two-year MSW programs 3 years in a row with amazing experience but I was rejected - until I got into the one-year HBSW at Lakehead! Now my GPA is an A+ and I am highly competitive in the advance-standing MSW programs. 

Having a CYW, however, puts you in a unique position and my GPA from McGill was more like a 2.8 - Lakehead's HBSW program has 500 applicants for 20 spots so it was highly competitive as well, but I had experience in Northern Indigenous communities working with youth, a great CV, and I am pretty sure I nailed the personal statement exam, which is why I was accepted (they look at grades last) ... Do they consider your CYW grades at all?

On 12/13/2015 at 9:41 PM, soapaddict said:

i'm considering the HBSW program. I was wondering is it wise to start the program after you just finish your degree and graduate in june..? it starts in july pretty early...

Just graduated the HBSW program and practicing social work in Thunder Bay is an amazing experience, I would recommend it! 

Hey All, 

I am procrastinating from writing my York statement that is due today (oooppps!) so I decided to check in on Grad Cafe and introduce myself. 

My name is Kat, and I am originally a Torontonian - but I received my first undergrad from McGill. My GPA was okay - around a 2.8 (3.5 in my last two years) - and I was rejected from two-year MSW programs 3 years in a row (11 applications total) despite experience in the field and a very strong personal statement. I was devastated at first, but I never gave up - I kept diversifying my CV and being rejected allowed me to have some INCREDIBLE experiences that have made me a better social worker and student - ones I would have never had if I was accepted right away. I even had the opportunity to work as a youth programmer in a Northern Indigenous community (with only 600 people) and I cannot rave more about the experience. It is that experience that lead to my acceptance to the one-year HBSW at Lakehead and the two-year BSW at York. 

I just graduated the HBSW program in Thunder Bay and I was hired as after my placement as a youth addictions counsellor in residential treatment on a short-term contract. I miss my job every day, I absolutely loved the work and my team. I am currently applying to advanced-standing MSW programs - I am applying to York, Ryerson, Waterloo (online - health focus), and the University of Calgary (clinical stream). 

I cannot stress enough how important it is to keep pursuing this goal if it is what you want. My plan A did not pan out, but I kept working at it. I graduated Lakehead with an A+ average on the president's list, dean's list, and with first class standing, not to mention the amazing work I did at my placement. I know it sounds like I am touting my own horn, but if you want it enough, it will come with hard work, persistence, and a dash of luck. The A+ came after a lot of hard work and essentially isolating myself in my bedroom in order to study for such an intensive program, but it was 100% worth it. I would recommend applying to Lakehead - both Orillia and Thunder Bay (though Thunder Bay is more recommended) as a plan B. I am now at an incredible position not only for acceptance into programs, but also for funding (which is the reason I did not make my 4th application to U of T this year - not enough funding for MSW students from my understanding and not enough of a critical approach to social work education, which in my opinion is essential, even if you would like to work in a clinical setting). 

If anyone has any questions, feel free to respond. Good luck to everyone who is finishing up their York applications today!!! 

Edited by KatRousi
spelling

On 10/1/2015 at 7:48 PM, Dani4 said:

Hi all!

I am in the process of applying for Fall 2016 2 year programs. I am completing the last year of my BA in psych. My stats are as follows:

1) one year experience volunteering on crisis line with sexual assault centre (about 10 hours per week)
2) 8 months volunteer research assistance in adolescent development lab (10 hours per week)
3) recently (September) began a placement at a housing help centre (6 hours a week)
4) Working on research methods credit ( and trying not to cry a lot in my efforts for an A in this one)
5) 3.7-3.8 GPA in last two years of study.

I am planning to apply to UofT, UWindsor, and Lakehead's HBSW.
Any suggestions on how I can improve my chances between now and when applications are due?

Good luck to everyone applying!

If you have any questions about Lakehead's HBSW, feel free to inbox me! 

10 hours ago, KatRousi said:

Hey All, 

I am procrastinating from writing my York statement that is due today (oooppps!) so I decided to check in on Grad Cafe and introduce myself. 

My name is Kat, and I am originally a Torontonian - but I received my first undergrad from McGill. My GPA was okay - around a 2.8 (3.5 in my last two years) - and I was rejected from two-year MSW programs 3 years in a row (11 applications total) despite experience in the field and a very strong personal statement. I was devastated at first, but I never gave up - I kept diversifying my CV and being rejected allowed me to have some INCREDIBLE experiences that have made me a better social worker and student - ones I would have never had if I was accepted right away. I even had the opportunity to work as a youth programmer in a Northern Indigenous community (with only 600 people) and I cannot rave more about the experience. It is that experience that lead to my acceptance to the one-year HBSW at Lakehead and the two-year BSW at York. 

I just graduated the HBSW program in Thunder Bay and I was hired as after my placement as a youth addictions counsellor in residential treatment on a short-term contract. I miss my job every day, I absolutely loved the work and my team. I am currently applying to advanced-standing MSW programs - I am applying to York, Ryerson, Waterloo (online - health focus), and the University of Calgary (clinical stream). 

I cannot stress enough how important it is to keep pursuing this goal if it is what you want. My plan A did not pan out, but I kept working at it. I graduated Lakehead with an A+ average on the president's list, dean's list, and with first class standing, not to mention the amazing work I did at my placement. I know it sounds like I am touting my own horn, but if you want it enough, it will come with hard work, persistence, and a dash of luck. The A+ came after a lot of hard work and essentially isolating myself in my bedroom in order to study for such an intensive program, but it was 100% worth it. I would recommend applying to Lakehead - both Orillia and Thunder Bay (though Thunder Bay is more recommended) as a plan B. I am now at an incredible position not only for acceptance into programs, but also for funding (which is the reason I did not make my 4th application to U of T this year - not enough funding for MSW students from my understanding and not enough of a critical approach to social work education, which in my opinion is essential, even if you would like to work in a clinical setting). 

If anyone has any questions, feel free to respond. Good luck to everyone who is finishing up their York applications today!!! 

Thanks for your input!!

where did you work as a youth programmer in a northern indigenous community??

On 12/17/2015 at 0:18 AM, soapaddict said:

Thanks for your input!!

where did you work as a youth programmer in a northern indigenous community??

Hey! I worked in the Northern Cree Communities in Quebec along the James Bay (there are 9 nations in total). There are tons of opportunities there. I worked for Youth Fusion as an after school leadership programmer, but there is also Elephant Thoughts (tutoring) and other positions with the Cree School Board and Cree Health Board. I loved Youth Fusion and I miss my job and the youth all the time (they still call me randomly, haha!) - it was exhausting and I worked wayyyy more than I was paid (I also picked up hours as a substitute teacher) but the relationships I built made it all worth-while! Katimavik is another organization I would look into, I believe it is a volunteer organization but I have heard positive things. Youth Fusion has expanded to Nunavik recently and they are always looking for people. Positions begin in January - I would contact Alanah or Laura directly if you are interested. 

16 hours ago, KatRousi said:

Hey! I worked in the Northern Cree Communities in Quebec along the James Bay (there are 9 nations in total). There are tons of opportunities there. I worked for Youth Fusion as an after school leadership programmer, but there is also Elephant Thoughts (tutoring) and other positions with the Cree School Board and Cree Health Board. I loved Youth Fusion and I miss my job and the youth all the time (they still call me randomly, haha!) - it was exhausting and I worked wayyyy more than I was paid (I also picked up hours as a substitute teacher) but the relationships I built made it all worth-while! Katimavik is another organization I would look into, I believe it is a volunteer organization but I have heard positive things. Youth Fusion has expanded to Nunavik recently and they are always looking for people. Positions begin in January - I would contact Alanah or Laura directly if you are interested. 

thanks!! I am considering youth fusion actually!! how are the hours like?? and is it a stressful job or difficult? Does katimavik only hire for volunteers?? or paid positions?

So I just checked my UofT application online and the status now reads "Under Review". I know there are several of us applying on this thread. Good luck to everyone!

Does anyone who applied in previous years know exactly when they send out results? It said March, but I was wondering if it was end, middle, or beginning?

Hope everyone is enjoying the holiday break so far. 

15 minutes ago, Applicant#1000 said:

Did you submit your documents many days before dec 15th? I wonder if that's the reason why mine hasn't changed to Under Review

I submitted my last document (resume) on December 14th, but everything else was in around the 10th.  Don't worry at all though, I remember reading last year that everyone's statuses slowly and randomly changed from Documents Received to Under Review.  As long as it doesn't say Documents Pending I think you're good! 

38 minutes ago, katkatkat said:

I submitted my last document (resume) on December 14th, but everything else was in around the 10th.  Don't worry at all though, I remember reading last year that everyone's statuses slowly and randomly changed from Documents Received to Under Review.  As long as it doesn't say Documents Pending I think you're good! 

That's a relief! Thanks katkatkat

On 12/30/2015 at 10:52 PM, cpun said:

Can anyone explain how gpa's are calculated for U of T?
Do they look at your percentage then adjust it to the U of T gpa conversion scale or do they just take the letter grade you have on your transcripts?

At my school 80-85% is a B+, not an A-

I believe UofT would say an 80-85% is an A-. Most schools in Canada follow this so even if you school does not, UofT will convert it as such.

I'm not sure what would happen if your school does letter grades tho.

Hi Everyone,

To those who have already applied to U of T, whenever you sent updated documents to the admissions office, did you notify Angela by email? 
I want to send an updated transcript as I just got 2 more final marks in, so I was just wondering if I should notify her about me doing this, or just leave it. 

Just now, rachberks said:

Hi Everyone,

To those who have already applied to U of T, whenever you sent updated documents to the admissions office, did you notify Angela by email? 
I want to send an updated transcript as I just got 2 more final marks in, so I was just wondering if I should notify her about me doing this, or just leave it. 

I would if I were you. I emailed her to ask about sending in a new resume since the one I gave her did not have any hours information.She changed it for me online so that it said I did not send it and I was able to reupload it. Also, its easier because you'll know if it got to them correctly and safely.