Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2016 admissions

MSW&MD

3 hours ago, MSW_2016 said:

Hey everyone!! I  just received my acceptance to the 1 year MSW at U of T!! It appears on ROSI. 

So psyched!! I applied last year to the 2 yr MSW and didn't get in, so I went with my plan B and did a 1 year HBSW at Lakehead University, and turns out that paid off!! :D

Congratsss! That's amazing! Glad your hard work paid off :) 

Quick question - I've been using the SGS to monitor my app, do I need to register with ROSI to see this info? 

4 hours ago, MSW_2016 said:

Hey everyone!! I  just received my acceptance to the 1 year MSW at U of T!! It appears on ROSI. 

So psyched!! I applied last year to the 2 yr MSW and didn't get in, so I went with my plan B and did a 1 year HBSW at Lakehead University, and turns out that paid off!! :D

Congrats!!! :D I hope I hear back soon too :s

5 hours ago, rachberks said:

I applied to U of T's 2 year program and my Rosi still says no registration history but all of a sudden I am able to view my financial status/account balance (this was never there    before). This probably doesn't mean anything though, as its still early for the 2 year acceptances, it was just strange. 

Mine is like that too. I also applied to the 2 yr. 

Under account status it says "Active", weird. Does your say that too? Haha maybe I'm overthinking it...

10 minutes ago, phd2msw said:

Mine is like that too. I also applied to the 2 yr. 

Under account status it says "Active", weird. Does your say that too? Haha maybe I'm overthinking it...

Mine does as well. I don't want to think much of it. It is making me more nervous though!!!!

Just now, rachberks said:

Mine does as well. I don't want to think much of it. It is making me more nervous though!!!!

Omg, yeah this is getting a little stressful now. Trying not to think about this. My SGS file still says "under review" so I don't know if "decision made" appears the same time as "invited" does on rosi? Either way, I guess we're finding out sooner than expected. 

1 minute ago, phd2msw said:

Omg, yeah this is getting a little stressful now. Trying not to think about this. My SGS file still says "under review" so I don't know if "decision made" appears the same time as "invited" does on rosi? Either way, I guess we're finding out sooner than expected. 

How does one register on ROSI? I tried earlier - as a first time user but wasn't successful but my SGS shows under review. 

Do you have to be a UOFT student prior to have a ROSI acc?

3 minutes ago, xonive said:

How does one register on ROSI? I tried earlier - as a first time user but wasn't successful but my SGS shows under review. 

Do you have to be a UOFT student prior to have a ROSI acc?

I'm not sure how I did it, I forget but you don't have to be a UofT student. I think I just went into ROSI (googled it) and then put in my student # (which you should have been assigned from your application, I think?) and then I followed the instructions for setting it up. I think your password is automatically your birthday YYMMDD

15 minutes ago, phd2msw said:

I'm not sure how I did it, I forget but you don't have to be a UofT student. I think I just went into ROSI (googled it) and then put in my student # (which you should have been assigned from your application, I think?) and then I followed the instructions for setting it up. I think your password is automatically your birthday YYMMDD

I got it to work! Would any info show in the front? Currently it says on my ROSI 'No registration history"

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly! :)

Edited by xonive

On January-13-16 at 1:37 PM, rachberks said:

Does anyone want to share their stats/where they applied and all that, now that we've all finished submitting our app's, so we can get a sense of what we all bring to the table :)

I have only applied to U of T's 2 year MSW, since the program really meshes perfectly with my goals and interests. It's my first time applying. 
I applied to collaborate in addiction studies as I really am aiming to eventually practice psychotherapy and addiction counselling, especially with minority populations. 

I have a 3.9/4 GPA in my last year of study. 
I've accumulated roughly about 1000 hours of volunteer experience, at 5 different organizations. 
I have 3800 paid hours of working in a retirement home, although that doesn't necessarily fit under the scope of social services, I believe it has taught me a lot of critical things about the field of social work. 
0 hours of research (unfortunately), but I am midway through my honours thesis right now. 

I'd love to hear what others have completed or done. 

ok here it goes.

I have only applied to the 2 year MSW distance-ed program at Waterloo

School: Social Services Worker Diploma, graduated with honors. BSW final average was 85% (not sure what that is in a GPA).

Volunteer: I currently sit on the Board of Directors for a well known non-profit, I have volunteered for this agency for approx. 10 years. I sit on a committee for the Ministry of Child and Youth Services. Previous volunteer includes, Canaidan Mental Health Association (700 hours) and Probation and Parole (600 hours) and the Salvation Army (250 hours). I have volunteered for a number of non-profit for different fundraising events, perfaps 500 hours total.

Paid: Dietary Aid (retirement home - agreed not really social services but many skills are transferrable), Community Support Worker, Crisis counsellor, Residential Youth Worker, Disease Prevention Coordinator, Social Worker - Paediatric Psychiatry (current)

Research: none

11 hours ago, xonive said:

I got it to work! Would any info show in the front? Currently it says on my ROSI 'No registration history"

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly! :)

Yep, it would appear right on the front page when you login.

Btw, unfortunately "active" does not actually mean anything, you're accepted only if it says "invited"!

15 minutes ago, rmiller said:

ok here it goes.

I have only applied to the 2 year MSW distance-ed program at Waterloo

School: Social Services Worker Diploma, graduated with honors. BSW final average was 85% (not sure what that is in a GPA).

Volunteer: I currently sit on the Board of Directors for a well known non-profit, I have volunteered for this agency for approx. 10 years. I sit on a committee for the Ministry of Child and Youth Services. Previous volunteer includes, Canaidan Mental Health Association (700 hours) and Probation and Parole (600 hours) and the Salvation Army (250 hours). I have volunteered for a number of non-profit for different fundraising events, perfaps 500 hours total.

Paid: Dietary Aid (retirement home - agreed not really social services but many skills are transferrable), Community Support Worker, Crisis counsellor, Residential Youth Worker, Disease Prevention Coordinator, Social Worker - Paediatric Psychiatry (current)

Research: none

Here's my experience. I've been accepted to the Advanced Standing MSW at U of T.

1) BSc in Psych, 3.83 CGPA (84%)

2) HBSW (in progress), 4.00 CGPA (85%)

3) About 3,000 hours as a Research Assistant at CAMH

4)100 hours at a distress line

5) Multiple poster/ conference presentations (not reallly soc work related, more like biological psychiatry) + 1 publication in a peer-reviewed journal 

6) Lots of research experience at different labs, all psych related 

EDIT. For those in the GTA, If you don't get accepted to the  2 year MSW, I highly recommend doing the 1 year HBSW at Lakehead. The program is not that strenuous (although you do that to move to Orillia for 6 months) + at the orientation session Angela mentioned that U of T looks favourably at Lakehead applicants (worked for me anyway). 

Edited by MSW_2016

25 minutes ago, MSW_2016 said:

Here's my experience. I've been accepted to the Advanced Standing MSW at U of T.

1) BSc in Psych, 3.83 CGPA (84%)

2) HBSW (in progress), 4.00 CGPA (85%)

3) About 3,000 hours as a Research Assistant at CAMH

4)100 hours at a distress line

5) Multiple poster/ conference presentations (not reallly soc work related, more like biological psychiatry) + 1 publication in a peer-reviewed journal 

6) Lots of research experience at different labs, all psych related 

EDIT. For those in the GTA, If you don't get accepted to the  2 year MSW, I highly recommend doing the 1 year HBSW at Lakehead. The program is not that strenuous (although you do that to move to Orillia for 6 months) + at the orientation session Angela mentioned that U of T looks favourably at Lakehead applicants (worked for me anyway). 

Sounds like you have a lot of research experience!! not surprised you got in after doing your HBSW. I will have a lot to think about if I don't get in. I think what's really hindering me is my lack of research experience aside from my honours thesis. 

10 minutes ago, rachberks said:

Sounds like you have a lot of research experience!! not surprised you got in after doing your HBSW. I will have a lot to think about if I don't get in. I think what's really hindering me is my lack of research experience aside from my honours thesis. 

Yeah, U of T is big on research experience, as far as I know. I was worried that my lack of volunteer experience would hinder me, and I think that that's exactly what happened last year when I applied to the 2 yr MSW.

CalendarGirl are you asking about the advanced standing Msw at Waterloo? I believe the notifications start going out soon from reading comments on here and checking last years forum- possibly even starting tomorrow.

21 minutes ago, Mcmaster5 said:

CalendarGirl are you asking about the advanced standing Msw at Waterloo? I believe the notifications start going out soon from reading comments on here and checking last years forum- possibly even starting tomorrow.

Hi, no I am wondering about the 10 month bachelor of social work program at Waterloo. I know that this is a masters degree forum. However, I thought since we are all looking to study social work some people may have information about the one year bachelor of social work at Waterloo.

Ah ok sorry CalendarGirl was just checking as I dont see a whole lot posted about Waterloo on here and was just wondering if anyone else had applied. I did my BSW at Mac, so I cant offer anything more than a friend of mine is doing her MSW there and had positive things to say overall. Goodluck!

Edited by Mcmaster5

On ‎2016‎-‎02‎-‎06 at 8:17 AM, Dani4 said:

Does anyone know whether UofT lets students do placements outside of Toronto?

Hi, I am currently attending the advanced standing MSW at UofT.  Yes, you can do a placement outside of Toronto but you have to organize it yourself.  I live in Kitchener-Waterloo and am currently doing my placement there.  They will support you but you will have to do the legwork yourself.  Make calls, send out resumes, etc.  You don't go through their system that the other person posted (the PAS), you opt out of the PAS.

23 hours ago, rachberks said:

That doesn't mean anything.  If you are in it will say invited.  And unfortunately it is way too early for the 2-yr programs to hear.  It'll be sometime in March.

2 minutes ago, smpalesh said:

That doesn't mean anything.  If you are in it will say invited.  And unfortunately it is way too early for the 2-yr programs to hear.  It'll be sometime in March.

Do you know how many rounds of acceptances there are for uoft?

3 hours ago, sosocialworker said:

Do you know how many rounds of acceptances there are for uoft?

Not sure about that.  I heard in the first big batch that came out, ROSI changed to invited (will note that it didn't change to "decision made" until 2 weeks after I got accept so don't worry about that).  I think the acceptances went out over a period of time and then the waitlist acceptances went out after the time period where the first round had to notify by.  Don't quote me on that though, I'm not positive.  The first round will have, if I remember correctly, about 3 weeks to accept or not.

1 minute ago, sosocialworker said:

Ahh okay I'm still holding out hope since my app still says under review. I really hope I hear back in a week!

My grades are average but my experience is really varied, but I'm hoping I get accepted somewhere lol

I feel super nervous since mine still says "under review" as well. :( Best of luck to the both of us!