Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2016 admissions

MSW&MD

6 hours ago, soapaddict said:

which school is your first choice?

did you apply anywhere else?:)

I would say St.Thomas is my first choice, and I've also applied to the two year MSW for Calgary, Toronto, and York. Which would be your first choice and where else did you apply?

On September 1, 2015 at 5:42 PM, YWEANG said:

Good luck to everyone who wish to attend MSW in 2016, here is the unofficial stats for 2015 MSW admission in three Toronto universities that offer MSW program( based others estimation only, not confirmed with school authorities, I don't hold responsibility for the accuracy of this data . don't PM me about where I get the numbers from  :mellow:)

U of T,  acceptance rate 1 in 11 for two years program, 1 in 4 for one year program (both full time and part time)

York,  acceptance rate 1 in 28 for two years program, 1 in 2.5 for one year program (both full time and part time)

Ryerson, acceptance rate 1 in 4  for one year program (Full time)

Hey everyone! 

I applied to ryerson and YORK last year, however did not get in! :( 

I reapplied to YORK this year, with more experience. I am hoping that I get in. I did my BSW at YORK and know that it is very competitive. Anyone know what they actually look for? 

My average was about a B+ and I have been working as a crisis counsellor for the past 3 years. So that is the experience I have highlighted! 

Any thoughts? 

Rossy 

8 hours ago, Rossysidhar said:

Hey everyone! 

I applied to ryerson and YORK last year, however did not get in! :( 

I reapplied to YORK this year, with more experience. I am hoping that I get in. I did my BSW at YORK and know that it is very competitive. Anyone know what they actually look for? 

My average was about a B+ and I have been working as a crisis counsellor for the past 3 years. So that is the experience I have highlighted! 

Any thoughts? 

Rossy 

Hi!

My knowledge is obviously hearsay, but from what I've heard York is less clinical and more social justice/policy focused. Experience in social services is obviously great, but they also look for research experiences and people who are a really strong fit for their program (ie. the content of your statement speaks to your research interests which should be in line with the interests of at least one faculty member). 

On their website they list the cut off for the 1 year program as B+ and the 2 year program is an A. So in terms of grades for the 1 year program you should be good to go. 

If you've got the grades and the experience I would guess that it comes down to your personal statement sealing the deal. Again, this is all hearsay. I'm an applicant just like you so I don't know how accurate my info is, but I hope that it helps!!

Good luck getting through this waiting game!! :)

Has anyone applied to Laurier's part-time, Advanced Standing stream? The decisions are said to come out by June 30th at the latest. When could I expect that they would start making admissions decisions though?

On ‎2‎/‎1‎/‎2016 at 5:13 PM, Squishy said:

Just received an email from the University of Windsor that I've been accepted as well. @andwewait Congrats! :)

Congrats!!! That's amazing. Did you apply to the advance standing program?

I'm waiting to hear back, I am currently taking my stats course right now.

On ‎2‎/‎1‎/‎2016 at 1:33 PM, andwewait said:

Windsor Application status changed to Provisional Acceptance.

Congrats Is Windsor your top choice? That's amazing!11. Did you apply to the advance standing program? Getting nervous waiting to hear back, still taking my stats course right now.

1 hour ago, xonive said:

Congrats!!! That's amazing. Did you apply to the advance standing program?

I'm waiting to hear back, I am currently taking my stats course right now.

Thank you, xonive! Yes, I applied to the advanced standing program. I hope you hear back soon too!!

On February 2, 2016 at 7:00 AM, emilym123 said:

I would say St.Thomas is my first choice, and I've also applied to the two year MSW for Calgary, Toronto, and York. Which would be your first choice and where else did you apply?

St. Thomas is my first choice too!! i also applied to Calgary MSW, a masters of Counseling at UNBC and Lakehead Uni HBSW.So you would prefer to do the postgrad in social work than the masters?

Lakehead is down the list for me cause it starts this summer -.-

Edited by soapaddict

4 hours ago, soapaddict said:

St. Thomas is my first choice too!! i also applied to Calgary MSW, a masters of Counseling at UNBC and Lakehead Uni HBSW.So you would prefer to do the postgrad in social work than the masters?

Lakehead is down the list for me cause it starts this summer -.-

Well between St.Thomas and Lakehead St.Thomas is my first choice, but overall Toronto would be my first choice.

Yeah the fact that Lakehead starts in the summer is what's throwing me off too

2 hours ago, CalendarGirl said:

Has anyone attended Dalhousie online ? I was just wondering about the experience of taking a bachelors of social work online. What was your experience with placement?

Hello,

I took the BSW at Dalhousie on campus, and the reading load is heavy and I heard that the distance BSW is also very heavy in terms of reading.  I believe you have to contact places for your placement, and if you live in NS there isnt many places, and I would start thinking about it now. Have you applied to other schools? 

1 hour ago, andwewait said:

Hello,

I took the BSW at Dalhousie on campus, and the reading load is heavy and I heard that the distance BSW is also very heavy in terms of reading.  I believe you have to contact places for your placement, and if you live in NS there isnt many places, and I would start thinking about it now. Have you applied to other schools? 

Hi,

Thanks for your input. I live in Waterloo Ontario, so I would be doing a placement in Waterloo or Kitchener I would hope. I have volunteered at various social service institutions within my community so hopefully I could find a proper placement here. I have applied to the MSW at Laurier and the BSW at University of Waterloo as well. Unfortunately these two programs are super competitive so Dalhousie is sort of my back up plan! 

14 minutes ago, CalendarGirl said:

Hi,

Thanks for your input. I live in Waterloo Ontario, so I would be doing a placement in Waterloo or Kitchener I would hope. I have volunteered at various social service institutions within my community so hopefully I could find a proper placement here. I have applied to the MSW at Laurier and the BSW at University of Waterloo as well. Unfortunately these two programs are super competitive so Dalhousie is sort of my back up plan! 

The online MSW at Dalhousie also is competitive but easier to get into than Laurier, I know someone doing the MSW at Waterloo. You will get in :)

3 minutes ago, andwewait said:

The online MSW at Dalhousie also is competitive but easier to get into than Laurier, I know someone doing the MSW at Waterloo. You will get in :)

Awe thank you for your faith! Do you know what your friend's average and hours of experience were? Its just so intimidating that they only let in 30 individuals per semester! :unsure:

Ok... shut the front door!! Literally just heard the mailbox door shut and ran out side! I've been accepted to DAL!!  A conditional acceptance pending Faculty of Grad studies approval. I am shaking. I was just giving myself the "you most likely didn't get in, but that's ok" speech, lol. I have been working for 4 years to get accepted into grad school, with 2 failed attempts and 1 year of upgrading courses within that time frame. This means so much to me. I know may of you understand the struggles and barriers to becoming accepted, as an older student. I wish all of you the best of luck and please do not give up if this is something you are dreaming to do!! xoxox

2 hours ago, WaitingWaiting4 said:

Ok... shut the front door!! Literally just heard the mailbox door shut and ran out side! I've been accepted to DAL!!  A conditional acceptance pending Faculty of Grad studies approval. I am shaking. I was just giving myself the "you most likely didn't get in, but that's ok" speech, lol. I have been working for 4 years to get accepted into grad school, with 2 failed attempts and 1 year of upgrading courses within that time frame. This means so much to me. I know may of you understand the struggles and barriers to becoming accepted, as an older student. I wish all of you the best of luck and please do not give up if this is something you are dreaming to do!! xoxox

Congratulations, WaitingWaiting4!! :)