Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2016 admissions

MSW&MD

2 hours ago, Applicant#1000 said:

For U of T, how do you relate research experience to social work? I mean considering how it is a non-thesis program

It is non thesis, but I think they want to know if we are prepared to a thesis if we wanted to pursue more education. As well, if we decided we wanted to do a thesis we can always work with a professor as with many other schools. 

So just  relate to how a study can help a marginalized population. It is helpful for deciding sensitive interventions and sometimes proving that a population is marginalized. If that makes sense.

2 hours ago, sosocialworker said:

It is non thesis, but I think they want to know if we are prepared to a thesis if we wanted to pursue more education. As well, if we decided we wanted to do a thesis we can always work with a professor as with many other schools. 

So just  relate to how a study can help a marginalized population. It is helpful for deciding sensitive interventions and sometimes proving that a population is marginalized. If that makes sense.

Yes, makes sense. Thanks!

On December-04-15 6:54:00, caitiko said:

Haha sorry to disappoint! I'm not looking forward to the wait either :( It's the only school I applied to, so I am banking on this one.  I applied to both part-time and full-time programs, so I am hoping for whatever I get!  Not too sure what I prefer at this point.  What about you?  And good luck to you too! :)

It's also the only program I applied to. And only to the part-time, distance ed. I wonder if there are any stats available as to the backgrounds of those accepted in previous years, just to get an idea of how competetive our applications are. I am not a very patient person, clearly.

phd2msw here: OMG this is frustrating. Sorry guys. I have no idea what I did and I can't re-format this or delete it. It won't let me type below the quotation box. :angry:I was going to reply to Applicant1000 about the thesis option. Should I indicate on my statement that I would be interested in completing a thesis? 

Edited by rising_star
at poster's request

@soapaddict I asked a school about the papers on CV/Resume and they said no unless it is directly related to social work. The review committee doesnt want to read about things that are not relevant. If you have a BA then they know you can write a research paper. So only include the ones that are specifically linked to social work. 

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this and would like some input. 3 years ago I finished my degree in Criminology at York U. I am only applying to UofT and my GPA for my last year is 3.47. I read someone said they only look at your last 24 credits though. If this is true then my gpa rises to 3.58. Do you guys think this is competitive enough? I am also taking an online class now and if I finish with an 'A' it will rise up to 3.73. But I'm afraid they will not consider this because they'll probably give me an answer before I get my final grade on it. Do you guys know if they wait on the final grades before making a decision?

Also, I just moved back from working as a Correctional Officer at Baffin Correctional Centre in Nunavut for 2 years. In my last year I mostly worked at the healing centre as a Case Worker. I have 4,524 hrs of experience. 1,800-2,000 of those are at the healing centre. At both buildings I dealt with mentally ill inmates and inmates who have experienced a lot of trauma. As a caseworker I tried to find them housing etc.. for when they got out. Nunavut lacks a lot of social services and I will point that out in my statement. I don't have any volunteer work though, do you think this matters?

I also have no practica and internships nor research experience outside of my degree requirements. Basically my resume will only have Education and Employment with everything else blank. Can you guys think of anything else I can add? I don

Given my lack of volunteer, internships, and research experience, do you guys think I have any chance of getting in?

I welcome any thoughts

Thank you,

Kosta

4 hours ago, phd2msw said:

Yes you could do that. But I have talked to Angela regarding the thesis and she said you receive a letter to apply for a thesis AFTER you've been accepted in the program. So mention your interest in doing a thesis, but don't waste space talking about it in length

4 hours ago, soapaddict said:

do you recommond putting major papers on your CV/Resume?? if you lack experience in volunteering or research?

By major paper, do you mean publications/thesis/presentations? Then yes. If you mean class assignments, then no

8 minutes ago, Applicant#1000 said:

Yes you could do that. But I have talked to Angela regarding the thesis and she said you receive a letter to apply for a thesis AFTER you've been accepted in the program. So mention your interest in doing a thesis, but don't waste space talking about it in length

I second this. In fact, this year, only 2 students out of the 140 got to do a thesis. So really i wouldn't mention more than 4 words about it.

Hey everyone.

Those of you who are applying to be able to practice as therapists after the degree, are you at all concerned that Social Workers are not allowed to  use the "psychotherapist" title as of Apr 1st of this year in Ontario?

I know right now insurance companies cover MSWs and Psychologists for counselling. CRPOs are not covered.

OCSWSSW mentioned that they are trying to have that regulation allow social workers to be able to use the title. Given that we are all only just starting, we have time to decide what we want to do. What are you all thinking?

http://www.ocswssw.org/professional-practice/regulation-of-psychotherapy/

7 hours ago, Kosta said:

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this and would like some input. 3 years ago I finished my degree in Criminology at York U. I am only applying to UofT and my GPA for my last year is 3.47. I read someone said they only look at your last 24 credits though. If this is true then my gpa rises to 3.58. Do you guys think this is competitive enough? I am also taking an online class now and if I finish with an 'A' it will rise up to 3.73. But I'm afraid they will not consider this because they'll probably give me an answer before I get my final grade on it. Do you guys know if they wait on the final grades before making a decision?

Also, I just moved back from working as a Correctional Officer at Baffin Correctional Centre in Nunavut for 2 years. In my last year I mostly worked at the healing centre as a Case Worker. I have 4,524 hrs of experience. 1,800-2,000 of those are at the healing centre. At both buildings I dealt with mentally ill inmates and inmates who have experienced a lot of trauma. As a caseworker I tried to find them housing etc.. for when they got out. Nunavut lacks a lot of social services and I will point that out in my statement. I don't have any volunteer work though, do you think this matters?

I also have no practica and internships nor research experience outside of my degree requirements. Basically my resume will only have Education and Employment with everything else blank. Can you guys think of anything else I can add? I don

Given my lack of volunteer, internships, and research experience, do you guys think I have any chance of getting in?

I welcome any thoughts

Thank you,

Kosta

Hi Kosta,

U of T only looks at your senior level courses' grades (300 & 400 levels). When I was at the info session, they said that applicants of 2015's average ranged from B+ ~ A-. So grade-wise, I definitely think you have a chance! You are able to submit an updated transcript to them once this semester's final grade comes out; I think it's best that you do so in this case :) They said this themselves, so I'm certain they will look at it!

My opinion is that although you lack some experience in other areas, if your SOP, research course's grade, and recommendation letters are good, it might balance your application out. Also, you have a lot of work hours that are related to social service, which is awesome. So yes, I think you do have a chance, but hey what do I know? haha

I hope this helps a little bit! Good luck!

Edited by Squishy
-

19 hours ago, Torontonian said:

Hey everyone.

Those of you who are applying to be able to practice as therapists after the degree, are you at all concerned that Social Workers are not allowed to  use the "psychotherapist" title as of Apr 1st of this year in Ontario?

I know right now insurance companies cover MSWs and Psychologists for counselling. CRPOs are not covered.

OCSWSSW mentioned that they are trying to have that regulation allow social workers to be able to use the title. Given that we are all only just starting, we have time to decide what we want to do. What are you all thinking?

Thanks for letting us know!! I want to be a counselor I heard a MSW could lead to this pathway or a masters of education specializing in counseling. Would it be more wise to pursue a masters of education in counseling then?

9 hours ago, soapaddict said:

Thanks for letting us know!! I want to be a counselor I heard a MSW could lead to this pathway or a masters of education specializing in counseling. Would it be more wise to pursue a masters of education in counseling then?

On December 8, 2015 at 7:49 PM, Torontonian said:

Hey everyone.

does this also mean social workers cant work as counselors or psychotherapists?

10 hours ago, soapaddict said:

does this also mean social workers cant work as counselors or psychotherapists?

No. You can still be a therapist/counselor/psychotherapist. It's just the title of "psychotherapist" is protected so you can't call yourself that. But you can still do that work as a Clinical Social Worker.

Hi Everyone!

I know applications are due very soon, but as I’m finishing them I want to know what my possible chances are of acceptance. I applied to the U of T MSW advanced standing program last year and got wait-listed. I took on a volunteer position since then and I have tried to build up my resume a bit but I have pretty much zero paid work experience. I graduated in 2015 and it has been difficult finding a job that aligns with my interests and values which worries me a lot since work experience is heavily weighted during the admission decision. I am applying again to U of T (fingers crossed) as well as York (since I did my undergrad there) and Western (only due in Jan).

1)      7.8 out of 9 GPA (York has a different rating scale) –I think that is an A-, but I’m not positive

2)      Research Methods Course –A average

3)      1 year  (700 volunteer hours) BSW practicum at an agency that provides supports to young mothers

4)      3 years as an Intake Administrator and Psychological assistant at a Psychologist’s office (current employment)

5)      1 year (3-6 hours week )as  University course note-taker for students with physical and/or learning disabilities (paid)

6)      3 hours/week volunteer at Southlake Hospital as a Patient and family resource volunteer in the cancer centre (started in Sept-current)

7)      1 hour/week for a school year, English tutor for a child with a learning disability

8)      3-4 hours a week for a school year volunteering at a food bank

I would like to know whether I have a competitive application and at this point if there is anything that I can do to strengthen it (possibly before I submit my Western app. in mid-Jan) as it seems as though we have some very qualified and experienced applicants! Any feedback would be appreciated.

Good luck to everyone :)

Anyone has an idea about University of Regina and Dalhousie University's criteria for admission? I applied in MENG in Petroleum Systems Engineering at Regina and MENG in Chemical Engineering at Dalhousie.

Bachelors: Chemical Engineering (International) with 76% or 2.96 CGPA

Research: Local refinery project (6 months)

Experience: 3 internships (FMCG, Fertilizer and Oil and Gas)

IELTS: 7

GRE: 303

LoRs: I have reason to believe they are good because my professors were very cooperative and I get on well with them.