Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2016 admissions

MSW&MD

Hello Everyone,

I am very glad to have found this forum, especially because it will allow me to further procrastinate writing my statement. It is excellent that we can set aside the competitive nature of these programs and reach out to one another. This is my first go-around with Graduate School applications and I will be applying to the U of T MSW program. I'll include a summary of my application below.

• BA in Criminology (4.18 GPA) in 2013 and a Graduate Certificate in Youth Justice and Interventions (4.95 GPA) in 2014 (As far as I'm aware they won't take my college graduate education into account).
  • A+ in Advanced Quantitative Methods for my research course.
  • 200 paid hours as an employment counsellor for at-risk youth at the YMCA.
  • 250 paid hours as a relief shelter worker with pregnant youth.
  • 65 volunteer hours facilitating youth justice programming at AYSP.
  • 180 volunteer hours in group/one-to-one employment help for youth with barriers.
  • 176 hour practica in youth justice work at the Boys and Girls Club.
  • 100 hour practica in youth diversion programming.
  • 100 hour research assistantship for a study exploring intimate partner violence at UOIT.
  • My referees are (a) the professor that I assisted in the above research, (b) my supervisor at the youth shelter, (c) my supervisor at the youth employment volunteering.

My background is based primarily in youth justice work, so I am unsure of how that will go over in admissions. I am also wondering if anyone has or will be including any training or certifications in the resume portion of their application. 

Most of the time I am panicking about what I am going to put in my written statement, so if anyone has help to offer that is specifically geared toward the social work program, I would be forever grateful. I've looked around a bit on the forums, but the number of posts alone is daunting. 

Thanks and good luck to everyone!

In 2015 no-one with a B- or lower in research methods was admitted into the program (regardless of otherwise spectacular grades and experience), the vast majority of those admitted were in the A-range, so if you're sitting at or below a mid-B average you should seriously consider boosting it for this year's application as chances of acceptance with it may actually be close to if not zero. Angela (U of T's admissions coordinator) said that many students have successfully upgraded their research methods mark via online courses through Athabasca University!  This is a great option for those who have been out of school or who can't fit another research methods course into their timetable. 

2) This year, U of T says that they are likely going to be following the same admissions timetable that they did this past year, and this means that acceptances for Advanced Standing will begin going out in February-ish and the 2-year will start in March-ish...so a lot less waiting than previous years!

Also, at the info session they said that there were almost 900 applicants in 2015 for the 2 year program, and 140 were accepted which is about 15% acceptance, so chances are SIGNIFICANTLY less bleak than 1 in 11, (more like 1 in 6!), and that is department confirmed :)

Wishing everyone tremendous luck this year, we're all in this together!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

IN response: yikes. I have a 70 (B-) IN MY RESEARCH METHODS COURSE. seriously depressed about my application to u of t .. im considering switching that option for lakehead's HBSW . Any thoughts ? 

ps. my experience is being an executive member (education director) of an organization at my school, over 700 hours of volunteer experience with out of the cold, co-op experiene in highschool (320 hours) 

what do you think my chances are 

pps. im applying also to windsor and york.

In 2015 no-one with a B- or lower in research methods was admitted into the program (regardless of otherwise spectacular grades and experience), the vast majority of those admitted were in the A-range, so if you're sitting at or below a mid-B average you should seriously consider boosting it for this year's application as chances of acceptance with it may actually be close to if not zero. Angela (U of T's admissions coordinator) said that many students have successfully upgraded their research methods mark via online courses through Athabasca University!  This is a great option for those who have been out of school or who can't fit another research methods course into their timetable. 

2) This year, U of T says that they are likely going to be following the same admissions timetable that they did this past year, and this means that acceptances for Advanced Standing will begin going out in February-ish and the 2-year will start in March-ish...so a lot less waiting than previous years!

Also, at the info session they said that there were almost 900 applicants in 2015 for the 2 year program, and 140 were accepted which is about 15% acceptance, so chances are SIGNIFICANTLY less bleak than 1 in 11, (more like 1 in 6!), and that is department confirmed :)

Wishing everyone tremendous luck this year, we're all in this together!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

IN response: yikes. I have a 70 (B-) IN MY RESEARCH METHODS COURSE. seriously depressed about my application to u of t .. im considering switching that option for lakehead's HBSW . Any thoughts ? 

ps. my experience is being an executive member (education director) of an organization at my school, over 700 hours of volunteer experience with out of the cold, co-op experiene in highschool (320 hours) 

I think you have great experience, but If you're really passionate about U of T and the structure of the program then I would perhaps consider doing the HBSW then applying for the advanced standing program at U of T. I would say re-take methods but it may be a little later for that since its over a month into the semester :( 

Hi everyone,

I plan on applying for the one year MSW program at a few different universities. My interest is definitely in more structural/anti-oppressive MSW programs so I am leaning towards York and Ryerson over U of T. From what I can see U of T seems like a more research/clinical school - would that be correct? I am from the West coast so have only used their websites to learn about their programs. I am also wondering about admissions and how many get accepted each year to those schools. According to the first poster it looks like York's odds are a little bit better - would people agree with that?

I won't be finished my BSW until next summer so I am  hoping that it won't hurt my chances. I do have more than 5 years of social service experience that I completed after my first degree.

Any information would be greatly appreciated! 

UofT has a Social Justice and Diversity stream which I am currently attending.  It is VERY focused on structural/anti-oppressive MSW.  For the one year MSW at UofT the admission rate is about 1 in 3. 

Another question: has anyone had experience with deferring an offer of admission? I notice most university websites mention that you can apply to do so. However, I'm wondering if you have to have a specific reason for it, of if anyone can defer an offer?

I deferred my acceptance from 2014 to 2015 and I am now currently the advanced standing program at UofT.  I deferred due to health issues and they were very accommodating. 

I am going to be completely honest with you and tell you the odds of getting into UofT with a 70 in research are very low.  If you are interested in UofT I would recommend redoing that course to get your grade up.

I was just curious to those reading this forum and have already gotten in to the University of Toronto (or any other MSW program). How damaging will it be towards our application if we admit prior mental health struggles and tie that into our motivation for going into social work with a specialization in Mental Health and Health. 

I was just curious to those reading this forum and have already gotten in to the University of Toronto (or any other MSW program). How damaging will it be towards our application if we admit prior mental health struggles and tie that into our motivation for going into social work with a specialization in Mental Health and Health. 

Not damaging at all, I did it and many of my peers did as well :) if there's one field where personal experience with issues related to mental health isn't stigmatized it's Social Work!

To those who have or are currently working in the field... How bad does it look to leave a position before your contract is up? How about disclosing that i want to return to school for my msw? The job I have been in really doesn't feel like a great fit and I want to get different experience before applying to my MSW. I have approximately 3 years of experience working in community development, 5ish months with immigration issues, but I want to volunteer at different agencies to get a better idea of what I want to specialize in. 

At this time, I am planning on u of t one year social justice stream, and u Windsor one year mental health/ clinical stream.

Hi everyone,

I have been lurking (and have posted minimally) for the past 2 years, but each year I ended up deciding to wait to apply. This year, I'm going for it! I'll be applying to U of T's 2-year MSW program. Here's what I'm applying with...

• 4.0 gpa in final year, A+ in research methods, a published undergraduate thesis, and experience as an RA
  • > 100 hours of distress line experience
  • 100-200 hours working with children and youth of varying ages and abilities in different settings
  • Various experiences in community development (not sure what the hours average out to)

I'm interested in minority mental health and community level interventions related to mental-health and well-being. I know I'm putting all my eggs in one basket, but unfortunately I just don't have the hours to apply to other programs yet. I'm contemplating applying to BSW programs as well, but I'm also not in any rush and feel I'd rather wait it out and just get straight into an MSW!

Also, seconding coralvictor 's comment about the personal statement. Can anyone point us in the direction of resources?

Hey everyone! I'm really looking forward to applying and being in this craziness with you all this year! I'm applying for the first time this year and am absolutely terrified and excited all in one. I will only be applying to U of T for their Mental Health and Health stream, as well as Laurier's IFG stream. I just thought I'd add my own experience to get some insight. 

I graduated in June with my BA in psychology. My average for the last 10 half credits (300/400 level) is an 81% with a 79% in research methodology. 

I have 250 hours paid work as a research assistant in a cognitive psychology lab, and this year am listed as the co-primary investigator (this work will continue until May 2016). My role has included designing computer tasks, creating an ethics approval application, running participants and evaluating data/ statistical analysis. 

I have 120 hours of volunteer experience on a 24 hour distress line. 

I was offered a paid position as a crisis worker with the organization I was volunteering for and I currently have 900 hours of paid work. In my role, I am cross-trained on three different telephone support lines under their umbrella.  I offer support to volunteers as well as training them for the distress line. I also work a line which connects consumers of mental health and addictions services to appropriate community and hospital services, providing referrals and advocacy for clients. Finally, I work a crisis outreach and support line that works in connection with the local police department, providing 24/7 support to clients in mental health crisis. 

I have given speeches regarding my own personal experience with mental health issues for fundraisers. I am about to begin volunteering for an organization which attends high schools to provide education and personal testimonials regarding mental health to students (no hours as of yet).

Finally, I have volunteered with Habitat for Humanity as a home builder, but this only accrued 20 hours. 

I have certifications in Applied Suicide Intervention, Mental Health First Aid, and SafeTalk (for suicide). 

I plan to ask the professor I work for in the lab as an academic reference (as I've also taken courses with her), the team lead for one of the lines I work for, as well as the Executive Director of the organization as my employment references. 

All the best to everyone applying this year, I know it's so competitive and there are many applicants with such empathetic hearts and determination to help people. 

Can anyone speak to what the different schools value more strongly in applicants- grades, experience? 

Hi!! 

My understanding of this is that they look at your application as a whole and assign you a score for your whole application. They value both grades AND experience. If you're seriously lacking in either then that might be a weakness in your application, but if you're really strong in one and weak in another you might still get an okay score overall. 

The guidelines for U of T is a recommended 3500 hours of experience and an A- average in the final year of study to be competitive. So try and keep both of those factors in mind!

Good luck everyone!!

Hi!! 

My understanding of this is that they look at your application as a whole and assign you a score for your whole application. They value both grades AND experience. If you're seriously lacking in either then that might be a weakness in your application, but if you're really strong in one and weak in another you might still get an okay score overall. 

The guidelines for U of T is a recommended 3500 hours of experience and an A- average in the final year of study to be competitive. So try and keep both of those factors in mind!

Good luck everyone!!

when you say a recommended 3500 hours of experience for U of T, does that include paid and unpaid? As i have 3800 hours of paid experience in my job alone...but close to 1000 of unpaid volunteer experience in social services. Mind you my job is in a retirement home so that can be social service work in itself...

when you say a recommended 3500 hours of experience for U of T, does that include paid and unpaid? As i have 3800 hours of paid experience in my job alone...but close to 1000 of unpaid volunteer experience in social services. Mind you my job is in a retirement home so that can be social service work in itself...

Hey there,

I'm currently in the 2 year program. I don't know if they've changed the guidelines since I applied last year but I definitely did not have anywhere close to 3500 hours, there is another school I can't remember which one (sorry) but they had that as a guideline for hours. 

I probably had somewhere around 500 at the time of application (including paid/volunteer hours). Judging by myself and classmates I would say it is true that UofT really does look at the package as a package, I wouldn't say one thing weighs more than the rest. The minimum grade is a strict guideline though so I would not apply without the minimum (I think it is a B or B+?)

Best of luck everyone! :) 

I'm wondering, has anyone considered the Community Psychology program at Laurier? It seems to also align with my interests/goals and overlap with social work, but doesn't qualify one for registration with any professional bodies. Does anyone know anything about the program and if it would be worth applying?

so my hours combine over the years are about 1500 i noticed that some msw schools require you to have 2 years fulltime volunteer or paid work which adds up to 3500 hours such as UNBC and i think windsor as well calgary uni

I'm wondering, has anyone considered the Community Psychology program at Laurier? It seems to also align with my interests/goals and overlap with social work, but doesn't qualify one for registration with any professional bodies. Does anyone know anything about the program and if it would be worth applying?

It can be more challenging for certain jobs, not being registerable. I know to work in a hospital setting, for example, they often require applicants to be registered with a professional body. That being said, there are many community based organizations which are much more flexible in their requirements and look more at the individual's skill set. 

UofT has a Social Justice and Diversity stream which I am currently attending.  It is VERY focused on structural/anti-oppressive MSW.  For the one year MSW at UofT the admission rate is about 1 in 3. 

Thanks for the reply.

How are you enjoying the program so far smpalesh? I do intend on applying to the Social Justice & Diversity stream.

Hi everyone. I applied and was accepted to a few schools last year and am currently attending Laurier in the two year stream. If anyone has any questions then feel free to ask them. They are majorly overhauling the program next year so there's going to be lots of changes to the curriculum here. I can answer questions about that if you want too. Good luck to everyone applying to their MSW this year!

Can anyone speak to what the different schools value more strongly in applicants- grades, experience? 

The applications are considered and assessed in a very holistic fashion. GPA is a major factor. Some schools weigh experience (hours) heavily, some not so much. One thing I recommend is not to underestimate the importance of having great references. Make sure you choose referees that can write you really strong letters.

what do you mean laurier is overhauling the two year stream?

They're getting rid of specializations and making it a more generalist first year. I think you can still take specialized classes to steer your education towards the kind of work you're interested in, but you can't specialize. The idea behind the change is to give non-BSW students a more well-rounded foundational year to make up for the fact that you/we didn't take social work in your/our undergraduate degree. 

Check out the 2016 MSW viewbook for more info!! Also they have a little blurb on their website about the change. 

I hope this helps!