Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2016 admissions

MSW&MD

Hey Guys, does anyone know roughly the latest date we can send an updated resume to U of T for the 2 year MSW?  I want to make sure as many volunteer hours as possible are included.  Thanks! 

Edited by katkatkat
typo

3 hours ago, katkatkat said:

Hey Guys, does anyone know roughly the latest date we can send an updated resume to U of T for the 2 year MSW?  I want to make sure as many volunteer hours as possible are included.  Thanks! 

I'd say probably end of February, as admissions can start rolling in 2 weeks after that. 

Does anyone want to share their stats/where they applied and all that, now that we've all finished submitting our app's, so we can get a sense of what we all bring to the table :)

I have only applied to U of T's 2 year MSW, since the program really meshes perfectly with my goals and interests. It's my first time applying. 
I applied to collaborate in addiction studies as I really am aiming to eventually practice psychotherapy and addiction counselling, especially with minority populations. 

I have a 3.9/4 GPA in my last year of study. 
I've accumulated roughly about 1000 hours of volunteer experience, at 5 different organizations. 
I have 3800 paid hours of working in a retirement home, although that doesn't necessarily fit under the scope of social services, I believe it has taught me a lot of critical things about the field of social work. 
0 hours of research (unfortunately), but I am midway through my honours thesis right now. 

I'd love to hear what others have completed or done. 

On 1/13/2016 at 10:30 AM, katkatkat said:

Hey! I was told that they will only look at your hours up until the deadline for the application. Everything after that isn't considered. So I wouldn't stress too much about sending in updates unless you've added other things like certifications. 

3 hours ago, MSW16 said:

Hey! I was told that they will only look at your hours up until the deadline for the application. Everything after that isn't considered. So I wouldn't stress too much about sending in updates unless you've added other things like certifications. 

Okay, thanks so much for letting me know MSW16!  I do recall hearing that, however I will have my American Sign Language certification that I want to add!  So I figured adding an extra 20 or 30 volunteer hours couldn't hurt, even if they don't consider it :) 

p.s. Thanks rachberks for your response as well :) 

Hi everyone, for those of you who applied to Western's MSW program I have a question for you. I submitted my application on the deadline yesterday and when I log back into my Western account, there is no history available showing my submitted application. I read on the Western site that we are able to view our application after, update profile info and see our acceptance status but for me there is literally no info available. So naturally now I'm freaking out! I'm not sure if my application got completely erased (even though it said 'submitted', i even printed off this page luckily), or if possibly there was a system glitch that has to be fixed. If anyone has any similar issues please let me know! I tried calling but they're closed of course and I can't wait until Monday :( 

Hi everyone

I have enjoyed reading this forum and decided I would join in. 

I am applying to the 2 year MSW at Laurier as well as the 10 month BSW at Waterloo. I have a studio art degree and psychology minor. I became interested in how art could be used as a therapeutic tool as well as a mode to build self esteem in people with mental illness. 

I am feeling really unconfident, I feel I am VERY average my GPA in the last 10 credits is 81%. I have a 79% overall GPA, I did not do well in first year which lowered my average (like many others I am sure.) I have been working at a group home as a support worker for people who suffer from severe mental illness (mainly schizophrenia and bi-polar) for almost two years. I have experience as a therapeutic art instructor to people with mental illness  (however with school and work I only obtained a limited amount of hours through this.) I also shadowed an art therapist who works with people who have been victims of abuse. I have also worked as a camp counsellor and a tutor for children who come from low income areas. I only have around 2400 hours of experience which I know is bellow Laurier's expectations. I am really hoping that my personal statement and unique experience and interest in art therapy will set me apart but I am unsure. I know this forum is for people who are applying to the MSW, but does anyone have any info on Waterloo's bsw? Ie. how many people they accept?  Also does anyone know if laurier ever accepts people with under 2500 hours? I know i'm ready to become a social worker, I just haven't had time to achieve that amount of experience. 

Edited by CalendarGirl

Hey! 

For those of you applying to University of Toronto MSW, has anyone spoke with Angela Umbrello the past few weeks? I've submitted an updated field practicum form because I was late in finding a placement for January. Has anyone been speaking with her the past 2-3 weeks? 

2 hours ago, Ronee93 said:

Hey! 

For those of you applying to University of Toronto MSW, has anyone spoke with Angela Umbrello the past few weeks? I've submitted an updated field practicum form because I was late in finding a placement for January. Has anyone been speaking with her the past 2-3 weeks? 

I sent an updated transcript to her 2 weeks ago and she replied with a "thank you" email. That is about it. 

15 hours ago, mswmswmsw said:

Has anyone applied to MUN?

Yes! I applied to MUN and Dalhousie. I have heard the MUN is quite competitive, however I have only heard this from people applying from Halifax. Are you applying to any other schools? I'd love to hear feedback from any current MUN MSW students. 

Edited by WaitingWaiting4

Has anyone applied to the Joseph-Armand Bombardier CGS Master's Scholarship either in December 2015, or in a previous year? Im just trying to gage when one typically hears back about whether they received an offer or not.

Thanks in advanced. 

8 hours ago, letmeinnah said:

Anyone have an idea on when York would start admissions for the MSW program?

Hey! From what I've heard they send out a wave of rejections in med-February for people who don't meet the minimum requirements (GPA, prerequisites, etc.) but the acceptances don't go out until April. Apparently they're one of the last schools to send out admissions packages. 

from reading the forums last year, I remember advanced standing applicants got acceptances as early as 2nd week of February. so soon!!!

but for us 2 year applicants, we can expect to hear back from schools anywhere from 4-12 weeks

I think generally speaking, 1-year MSW offers go out mid-to-late February followed by 2-year MSWs sometime in April. I applied to Carleton's 1-year MSW having just completed my BSW from there. Really hoping I hear something good in about three weeks.

Best of luck, everyone.

Hey Everyone, 

I applied to Ryerson, Windsor and Laurier for the one year Advanced Standing. Just wondering if anyone heard back? My Laurier application says "none" under actions, and my Windsor application says "referred to the department" The Ryerson application just confirms that I have all my documents. Apparently Windsor sent out their letters out this week.

4 minutes ago, andwewait said:

Hey Everyone, 

I applied to Ryerson, Windsor and Laurier for the one year Advanced Standing. Just wondering if anyone heard back? My Laurier application says "none" under actions, and my Windsor application says "referred to the department" The Ryerson application just confirms that I have all my documents. Apparently Windsor sent out their letters out this week.

No way I go to Windsor and I would have heard from other students if they heard. Also Windsor is known to show on myuwindsor before a letter being given out so don't worry. We have at least 2 weeks.

Hi guys, so I have applied to university of Toronto pure math department my average is 81.9 % about 86 in my program average last two years my average is 86.
I am international student studying in a University of Calgary, so I was wondering what is my chances of getting accepted to UOFT ? I haven't heard anything from them yet, but I saw some people in grad caffe being accepted into the program, which makes me very anxious.