Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2016 admissions

MSW&MD

Just now, 2016_MSW_UoT said:

For the user that logged into Rosi - Is that something accessible only to current UoT students? If there is a secret way to check my application status, that'd be fantastic! The SGS Grad application just says "Under Review." 

Thanks!

go on sgs to find your student number through the profile update section. Then just go on rosi.utoronto.ca and set up you account by putting in your student number and your date of birth

4 minutes ago, sosocialworker said:

go on sgs to find your student number through the profile update section. Then just go on rosi.utoronto.ca and set up you account by putting in your student number and your date of birth

So helpful, thank you! Once I've got a Rosi account, how do I find the app status info? 

1 minute ago, sosocialworker said:

Its right on your homepage if it says' no registration' then you still have to wait sadly.

It does still say No Registration History, but this is a super useful secret! Thanks so much for your help and congratulations!!!!

12 minutes ago, MSW-UofT said:

Did you receive the email from York like right now or earlier.Omg the stress 

I just got an email at 6:30 tonight. It didn't change on MYFILE yet, it will in 3-5 business days. 

3 hours ago, Allyariella said:

I found out last week I got into Western!! For the one year Advanced Standing program at Kings College. :)

I just looked at my Rosi account  for U of T and it says "invited", does this mean I got in? I didn't receive an email or letter in the mail.

Congrats to all of the other successful applicants, you earned it! And those still waiting to hear back -have faith and don't stop trying until you get in. This was my second year applying for my Masters and I was so discouraged the first time when I didn't get in but I developed a stronger resume/personal statement this time around and it paid off.

Thats so amazing! Congraduations! Also, did your rosi account just change today? have you looked at it since a week and a half ago when they first sent out their first round of admission for UofT Adv Standing!!??

Thanks! 

22 hours ago, KatRousi said:

Oh I actually made a mistake, I applied to the two-year at York twice (along with Laurier, McGill, and Carelton) and applied to U of T 3 times for the two-year. So its been a hell of a ride! U of T was the only MSW I applied to for fall 2014, but I also applied to York's 2-year BSW and Lakehead's HBSW (both Orillia and Thunder Bay). I, too, found out about the 'plan B' when it was too late! I had to wait a year to apply as well. 

Orillia was my first choice, but they can't provide acceptance to both campuses and I got into Thunder Bay. I think its because of my Northern experience, the same thing happened to a colleague of mine who worked up North with me. From my experience, it was a blessing in disguise and I liked the program at Thunder Bay campus, and I know my friend who initially wanted to go to Orillia feels similar to me. The program is not perfect by any means, but you get a BSW in a year and the placements are great! 

In terms of the gap year between, I have had a few gap years (lol) and I recommend getting out there and gaining more experience. Take risks with positions - both paid and volunteer - and diversify your CV while also adding various lenses to seeing the world, which will only enhance your abilities as practitioner. If you can, venture to the North. I know many schools are eager to have this perspective in the classroom, as I was told by York when I called before the application was due. That would be my advice, I took every year I didn't get in as an opportunity to better myself as both an applicant and a professional. If Plan A had worked out, I would have already graduated my MSW and have been working for over a year, haha! Its all about the Plan B. 

That's really good to know! Time means nothing compares to the experience we can get in between...Thank you for the tips :) 

Edited by rockerelmo

22 hours ago, MSW-UofT said:

I took the HBSW in Orillia, it is not a bad program at all. I am actually in my last 4 months of placement. They are not that great in finding Toronto placements (so I would suggest looking on your own even if they say don't, just forward then the documents when you do look and do not finalize the deal yourself) but all and all it was not that bad. it is something to get you where you need to go honestly. Lastly, it is not as easy to get in as people make it seem. I believe it was 500 or so application for 70 spots. so it is also quite competitive. I totally feel for you. it is a hard position to be in.

Wow, that is pretty competitive. That's good to know about the placements, thank you! :) 

1 hour ago, rockerelmo said:

Wow, that is pretty competitive. That's good to know about the placements, thank you! :) 

Yeah I second what MSW-UofT said, its a lot more competitive than people think. They have over 500 applicants for both Orillia and Thunder Bay, and Thunder Bay only has 20 people in the class. I think the experience between campuses are quite different so its great to hear about both! I agree, it will get you to your final goal (it did for me!) 

Edited by KatRousi

51 minutes ago, MSW-UofT said:

Word on the street is UofT sent out their second round of Admissions.

Does this apply only to Advanced Standing? I called last week and they told me not to expect notice for the 2-year regular MSW until between Mid-March and Mid-April. 

6 minutes ago, 2016_MSW_UoT said:

Does this apply only to Advanced Standing? I called last week and they told me not to expect notice for the 2-year regular MSW until between Mid-March and Mid-April. 

Yes advance standing. 

1 hour ago, 2016_MSW_UoT said:

Thanks for calling! I am getting pretty anxious and stressed out about this. I only applied to this program and knowing that I shouldn't expect anything for at least another 2 weeks is a relief. Although Mid-March to Mid-April is a pretty big timeframe. It could be two weeks or over a month from now! Oh well :) 

Two year admissions decisions seem so close but so far away! I'm driving myself crazy going from extremes thinking that I have a pretty strong application to feeling completely hopeless. I know that my grades are good and my experiences seem pretty good from my perspective ( although not as good as some of the experiences posted here) but I have so many doubts in my mind and it's driving my anxiety through the roof!

Is anyone else here losing their mind waiting for two year admissions? This forum feels like a blessing and a curse because it's good to monitor when admissions decisions are going out but it's also so anxiety provoking to hear everyone speculating about when decisions will come out. And what happens if everyone else gets admissions decisions and I'm still stuck in limbo!? Gahhh! 

I feel like I need to stop obsessively checking this forum but I can't fight the compulsion to check it 100 times a day. *sigh*

Yes! Now that I found this forum I check it more often then quest/email! Like you, one minute I think I have a chance of acceptance then the next I question that. Ugh this is going to be the longest few weeks of my life! I am currently at a job  I don't like but I'm waiting to take the next step until I know about my MSW....there's a lot on the line here lol

1 minute ago, mswhopeful16 said:

Yes! Now that I found this forum I check it more often then quest/email! Like you, one minute I think I have a chance of acceptance then the next I question that. Ugh this is going to be the longest few weeks of my life! I am currently at a job  I don't like but I'm waiting to take the next step until I know about my MSW....there's a lot on the line here lol

I totally feel your pain! It feels like my whole life is in limbo! I am going to have to move in the next few months but I don't want to sign a lease anywhere until I know if/where I am going to school! And I am also coming to the end of a work contract which means I need to start looking for another job but depending on if/where I go to school I might have to find another job in 2-3 months anyway if I have to move. So I'd rather start looking for a new job AFTER I hear back from schools. But who knows when that will be!?

I'm really hoping that I hear back in the next 2-3 weeks so that I can start planning my life. I like to plan everything so this feeling of being in limbo is extremely stressful! Let's hope the schools start sending out admissions for the two year programs soon...

1 hour ago, MSW16 said:

I totally feel your pain! It feels like my whole life is in limbo! I am going to have to move in the next few months but I don't want to sign a lease anywhere until I know if/where I am going to school! And I am also coming to the end of a work contract which means I need to start looking for another job but depending on if/where I go to school I might have to find another job in 2-3 months anyway if I have to move. So I'd rather start looking for a new job AFTER I hear back from schools. But who knows when that will be!?

I'm really hoping that I hear back in the next 2-3 weeks so that I can start planning my life. I like to plan everything so this feeling of being in limbo is extremely stressful! Let's hope the schools start sending out admissions for the two year programs soon...

1 hour ago, MSW16 said:

Two year admissions decisions seem so close but so far away! I'm driving myself crazy going from extremes thinking that I have a pretty strong application to feeling completely hopeless. I know that my grades are good and my experiences seem pretty good from my perspective ( although not as good as some of the experiences posted here) but I have so many doubts in my mind and it's driving my anxiety through the roof!

Is anyone else here losing their mind waiting for two year admissions? This forum feels like a blessing and a curse because it's good to monitor when admissions decisions are going out but it's also so anxiety provoking to hear everyone speculating about when decisions will come out. And what happens if everyone else gets admissions decisions and I'm still stuck in limbo!? Gahhh! 

I feel like I need to stop obsessively checking this forum but I can't fight the compulsion to check it 100 times a day. *sigh*

I'm not sure if this will help, but you are not alone - I feel all of these things too. I jump from feeling confident in my app to feeling hopeless about it, and I certainly have good experience but many less hours than a lot of what has been posted here. And I, too, have to make decisions (financial, where to live, where to work, if I need to work, etc.), but cannot make them without knowing if I am going to school next year. It is emotionally exhausting!

At the end of the day, we are all strong applicants and we are standing together. I know it helped me to read that other people feel anxious and frustrated with being unable to plan, so hopefully it will help others to have one more voice in the choir. :)

19 minutes ago, MSW-UofT said:

I spoke to Angela and she said all the one year advance standing decisions are done and everything was put in the mail today. So you will know by early next week if u were rejected or wait listed. 

My ROSI status says,"invited" but I haven't received an admissions letter. Do you mean all the admissions letter coming out now are all rejections or wait-lists? Thanks for your help!