Fall 2016 Cognitive Neuroscience (Psychology Departments)

Gvh

28 minutes ago, St0chastic said:

The next few weeks are going to be rather hectic, though!  Next week I have back-to-back-to-back visits with UCLA, UC Davis, and Northwestern.  The following week I'll be going to Vanderbilt, and the weekend after that Michigan and Illinois.

Wow, I think I got tired just reading that! How you are handling all of those interviews is beyond me! Best of luck with all of your interviews, I am sure you will receive good news very soon :)

As I read thru past acceptance threads here and on SDN I have noticed a trend of people were extended 2+ interview invites and received at least one acceptance out of those interviews! I am hoping this trend continues this cycle as it is the only thing that it is keeping me sane! haha

Edited by FeelTheBern

1 minute ago, FeelTheBern said:

As I read thru past acceptance threads here and on SDN I have noticed a trend of people who receive 2+ interview invites and received at least one acceptance out of those interviews! I am hoping this trend continues this cycle as it is the only thing that it is keeping me sane! haha

I could be wrong, but my understanding is that cognitive programs are less competitive than clinical even at the interview stage.  While as most clinical programs will invite 4-5 times as many applicants as there are slots, with cognitive it's more like 2-3.  And not everyone who is admitted will accept the offer, so the odds are maybe even a little better.

So I have a pre-interview "chat" tomorrow with a POI from UChicago. He didn't say much other than he read my application and wanted to "chat about the program". 

Any words of advice?? Ugh. 

43 minutes ago, Gvh said:

So I have a pre-interview "chat" tomorrow with a POI from UChicago. He didn't say much other than he read my application and wanted to "chat about the program". 

I have a similar "chat" scheduled for Saturday and had a few Skype chats with some of my POIs.  First, make sure that you can give a quick "elevator pitch" of your experience and research projects.  Your POI may not even ask about this, but it's always good to have this ready in case it does come up.  Second, take a few minutes to review your applications and SoP as she/he may ask you to elaborate on them.  Third, review the the program website so that you are familiar with some basic information (coursework requirements, master's thesis/dissertation timeline, funding, TA duties, etc.).  Finally, read one or two recent publications of your POI and look over a few more abstracts so that you have a sense of the research they are doing and the methods they use.  If you have a phone chat scheduled, you could even take down some notes that you can refer to during the call in case your mind goes blank.  

Also, it's probably a good idea to have a few questions prepared to ask.

1 minute ago, St0chastic said:

I have a similar "chat" scheduled for Saturday and had a few Skype chats with some of my POIs.  First, make sure that you can give a quick "elevator pitch" of your experience and research projects.  Your POI may not even ask about this, but it's always good to have this ready in case it does come up.  Second, take a few minutes to review your applications and SoP as she/he may ask you to elaborate on them.  Third, review the the program website so that you are familiar with some basic information (coursework requirements, master's thesis/dissertation timeline, funding, TA duties, etc.).  Finally, read one or two recent publications of your POI and look over a few more abstracts so that you have a sense of the research they are doing and the methods they use.  If you have a phone chat scheduled, you could even take down some notes that you can refer to during the call in case your mind goes blank.  

Also, it's probably a good idea to have a few questions prepared to ask.

Thanks @St0chastic! This is good advice. I am currently going over some of the more recent publications. Something tells me this call is going to be about fit in the program/lab since it's a non-rotation program. So yeah, trying to put some coherent elevator pitches down. And yes, it is over phone so I can have notes :D 

Congrats on your invites btw, you rocked it this season!

Congrats @Gvh!! I still have no idea what these pre-interview chats mean...do they mean that your POI is really interested in you or does it mean that they are unsure whether they want to invite you to the in-person interview? ...SO confusing!!

If you can read some articles authored by your POI between today and tomorrow and also prep some questions, I think that would be the best preparation. Also, I am not sure if this is appropriate for a pre-interview chat, but I know that when my SO talked to his POI on the phone about the in-person interview, the POI really stressed having project ideas. This may be more appropriate for in-person interviews, however.

@FeelTheBern, my guess is these chats pre-interview are to gauge whether to invite you or not, especially since it seems 1 or 2 people on GC have already received formal invites for this program! 

Re project ideas -- that is a good point but since he initially wanted to give me a 6 hour warning before our call (I ended up delaying it til tomorrow), I would assume he wouldn't expect me to have concrete project ideas already in mind, but I could be wrong! I guess we will find out, haha.

Edited by Gvh

Random question but do you guys feel like the process has been a little slower for cog psych compared to other programs? I'm trying not to get discouraged by all the admissions decisions and the flood of interviews on the results pages for other programs!!! I've only heard back from 2 schools so far out of 10 (and they were both rejections MERP!)

13 hours ago, Gvh said:

@FeelTheBern, my guess is these chats pre-interview are to gauge whether to invite you or not, especially since it seems 1 or 2 people on GC have already received formal invites for this program! 

Re project ideas -- that is a good point but since he initially wanted to give me a 6 hour warning before our call (I ended up delaying it til tomorrow), I would assume he wouldn't expect me to have concrete project ideas already in mind, but I could be wrong! I guess we will find out, haha.

I think you should prepare what research questions you want to answer (top one or two), why is it important, what do you hope to find, how will you go about doing so/what experience do you have in regards to this line of research? Brief, but it shows you have a solid idea of what you want to do and can think about ways of succeeding. Good luck, we are all rooting for you!

22 hours ago, Gvh said:

I think all the advice @St0chastic gave you is great - all things I would prep. I think it's always a good thing to have these chats set up so I'd feel optimistic overall! During my couple of phone interviews/chats they seemed really interested in what questions I had, so I would be sure to have a good list of questions to ask them to show your interest in the program. 

My go tos are asking about future directions of the lab and what their mentoring style are like. I've found those two things typically open up a nice flow of dialogue. 

Good luck! 

Congrats to @Gvh and @St0chastic! You nailed this application season!

13 hours ago, psychgal2112 said:

Random question but do you guys feel like the process has been a little slower for cog psych compared to other programs? I'm trying not to get discouraged by all the admissions decisions and the flood of interviews on the results pages for other programs!!! I've only heard back from 2 schools so far out of 10 (and they were both rejections MERP!)

I feel exactly the same as I heard from only one program up till now. I'm thinking of backup plans like applying to stay at my home lab for one year RA already... 

P.S. Have anyone applying for Tufts heard anything yet?

22 minutes ago, lovemc said:

Congrats to @Gvh and @St0chastic! You nailed this application season!

I feel exactly the same as I heard from only one program up till now. I'm thinking of backup plans like applying to stay at my home lab for one year RA already... 

I wouldn't say I've "nailed it", I'll be lucky with 2 acceptances, but I'll take it :D

Thanks for your suggestions everyone. I'll post on here after it's done!

Edited by Gvh

15 hours ago, psychgal2112 said:

Random question but do you guys feel like the process has been a little slower for cog psych compared to other programs?

I 100% agree! About half of the programs that SO applied to have been relatively silent. However, one of the six has started sending out interview weekend invitations, but none have gone out (or so it seems) for the cognitive area. Gotta just keep the hope alive at this point I guess!

1 hour ago, lovemc said:

Nothing yet! My SO was in contact with his POI in September and she requested that he send his application directly to her after it was submitted, and he did, but we haven't heard anything since! If it helps, in past years, it looks like applications haven't undergone official review until early February, and some applicants are contacted for Skype/phone interviews beginning in February. From what I can tell, there are no in-person interviews for the program! Decisions also look like they go out in early to mid-February. Good luck, I will let you know if I hear anything!!

@FeelTheBern two things: I agree about cog psych sluggishness and it's starting to make me crazy! I was expecting to hear from 3 - 4 more places these past two weeks, but crickets on the results board. Also, are you applying in conjunction with your SO? I am--but he's in a different discipline. We applied to mostly overlapping schools, his results are a few weeks behind mine historically. The anxiety hoping we'll get into colocated programs is *intense*.  

Hey guys! Call went great -- he was super welcoming and nice and basically just wanted to invite me to the weekend. Lol, my 4 pages of notes and "insightful" comments will be useful for the actual visit I guess! :D

48 minutes ago, overdetermination said:

Also, are you applying in conjunction with your SO?

I was thinking about it, but tbh, I think I need to take a break from school for a bit. Last year we were trying to figure out how to coordinate the schools that we wanted to apply to and "meet halfway". Ultimately, I decided that I wasn't quite sure on exactly what I wanted to do in grad school, while my SO has been set on this for years. With admissions for PhD programs being as cutthroat as they are, I knew that the chances of us getting in at the same school, much less in the same state, would probably be next to impossible. So, needless to say, for now, I'll just be following him and searching for a full-time job wherever he (hopefully) gets accepted.

Lucky for me, I have always liked the idea of living in a city with great public transportation and use of alternate modes of transportation (I hate cars, but I love walking/biking), so the fact that his two interviews are in NYC and Boston has got me ecstatic! It's taking all of me to not start looking at apartments.... :) (My SO might meet you without knowing at NYU btw! They still haven't confirmed which date they want him to come because he told them he is available for both.) What is your SO's discipline? He is applying at the PhD level?

@Gvh Woohoo! Congrats!!:lol:

Edited by FeelTheBern

56 minutes ago, overdetermination said:

@FeelTheBern two things: I agree about cog psych sluggishness and it's starting to make me crazy! I was expecting to hear from 3 - 4 more places these past two weeks, but crickets on the results board. Also, are you applying in conjunction with your SO? I am--but he's in a different discipline. We applied to mostly overlapping schools, his results are a few weeks behind mine historically. The anxiety hoping we'll get into colocated programs is *intense*.  

@overdetermination Random tangent: I interviewed at Brown's CLPS department last year! Ended up not being a great fit with POI, but it's solid department especially if you're into psychophysics and visual perception stuff :)

12 minutes ago, psychgal2112 said:

I still think that it is super neat that you're on GC for your significant other! I'm curious-- what's your discipline? Cog psych as well?

hahaha thank you @psychgal2112! I am actually a Sociology major (will be graduating with a BA in May). The best feeling is waking up every day and using the knowledge I learned to make informed conclusions about why society works the way it does and why people do the things they do. In high school, I would always ask myself, "When am I going to use this?" In Sociology, I am always asking myself, "When am I not going to use this?" :)

Do you already have your Bachelor's or Master's? Or are you currently working?

1 hour ago, FeelTheBern said:

I was thinking about it, but tbh, I think I need to take a break from school for a bit. Last year we were trying to figure out how to coordinate the schools that we wanted to apply to and "meet halfway". Ultimately, I decided that I wasn't quite sure on exactly what I wanted to do in grad school, while my SO has been set on this for years. With admissions for PhD programs being as cutthroat as they are, I knew that the chances of us getting in at the same school, much less in the same state, would probably be next to impossible. So, needless to say, for now, I'll just be following him and searching for a full-time job wherever he (hopefully) gets accepted.

Lucky for me, I have always liked the idea of living in a city with great public transportation and use of alternate modes of transportation (I hate cars, but I love walking/biking), so the fact that his two interviews are in NYC and Boston has got me ecstatic! It's taking all of me to not start looking at apartments.... :) (My SO might meet you without knowing at NYU btw! They still haven't confirmed which date they want him to come because he told them he is available for both.) What is your SO's discipline? He is applying at the PhD level?

@Gvh Woohoo! Congrats!!:lol:

Hey, if he goes on 2/19 I can wear a funny hat, and you can tell him the funny hat person is someone you know from GC and...yeah, that would be strange, scratch the hat plan ;)  My SO is in Political Science (with a social psych/behavioral bent); there is a big area of topical overlap in our interests so we like to speculate about collaboration if we can pull off the move to PhD. 

@Gvh I had a very similar first interview! I prepped half the day for a 15 minute chat that resulted in an invite, but I was much better prepared for my in-person afterwards. You know, it's a funny thing: I am not a perception/vision/psychophysicsy person, but a lot of departments that are good fits for me have a deep bench there...I'm guessing because of the methods--I'm looking to do computational cognitive modeling. 

16 minutes ago, FeelTheBern said:

hahaha thank you @psychgal2112! I am actually a Sociology major (will be graduating with a BA in May). The best feeling is waking up every day and using the knowledge I learned to make informed conclusions about why society works the way it does and why people do the things they do. In high school, I would always ask myself, "When am I going to use this?" In Sociology, I am always asking myself, "When am I not going to use this?" :)

Do you already have your Bachelor's or Master's? Or are you currently working?

That's wonderful-- even through the screen, I can feel your passion for sociology! :) As for me, I'm currently finishing up my BA in psychology (graduating in May).

Also, a relevant question for all the cog psych peeps: Are you also finishing up undergrad, applying with a masters, been working, etcetc? Is this your first go at applications? 

I feel the need to share with @FeelTheBern and pretty much the whole world that aforementioned SO was *just* accepted to Stony Brook (more or less his top choice), which means we just might be able to swing this thing if I don't flub up at NYU (or for that matter, if I get into Stony Brook). Dance dance dance of happy dancing! 

To @psychgal2112 : I'm finishing a master's, went back several years out of undergrad. Not my first go at applications, though my first go at Psych PhDs (I did a round of philosophy apps many years back and struck out, but it was very instructive experience.) 

That's awesome @overdetermination, you must be psyched! 

Similar to you and @FeelTheBern, I'm also coordinating with my SO, but for him it's finding a post-doc where I end up for grad school (he's finishing up his PhD in virology in the next year or so - hopefully!). It's tough going being in an academic in a relationship.

3 hours ago, psychgal2112 said:

Also, a relevant question for all the cog psych peeps: Are you also finishing up undergrad, applying with a masters, been working, etcetc? Is this your first go at applications? 

I'm also finishing up my BA, and it is my first go at applications!