Fall 2016 Cognitive Neuroscience (Psychology Departments)

Gvh

9 hours ago, Gvh said:

Hey guys! Call went great -- he was super welcoming and nice and basically just wanted to invite me to the weekend. Lol, my 4 pages of notes and "insightful" comments will be useful for the actual visit I guess! :D

Congrats!  Now you can relax somewhat as you are ready for the interview visit.

On 1/22/2016 at 2:07 AM, overdetermination said:

@FeelTheBern two things: I agree about cog psych sluggishness and it's starting to make me crazy! I was expecting to hear from 3 - 4 more places these past two weeks, but crickets on the results board. Also, are you applying in conjunction with your SO? I am--but he's in a different discipline. We applied to mostly overlapping schools, his results are a few weeks behind mine historically. The anxiety hoping we'll get into colocated programs is *intense*.  

Hi there, it looks like you've been accepted by OSU. Did your POI email you or you just check the website? I received feedback from my POI, said he placed my name onto a list of competitive applicants, but did not have too much news to report. 

@finch I just checked the website, and received an email from the Grad School not long after. During interview weekend (did I see you there perhaps?) my POI (PM for details) more or less assured my admittance so I was expecting it, but oddly enough I haven't received any messages from him since the notification from OSU. 

19 hours ago, overdetermination said:

@finch I just checked the website, and received an email from the Grad School not long after. During interview weekend (did I see you there perhaps?) my POI (PM for details) more or less assured my admittance so I was expecting it, but oddly enough I haven't received any messages from him since the notification from OSU. 

I was an international student, so I only had Skype interview with my POI. There's nothing update on my website. It's so anxious when you are waiting. 

19 hours ago, overdetermination said:

Did you know if they have sent out all the admission letters?  

In case anyone else was interested, I emailed University of Oregon and University of Washington graduate coordinators about interview invites. University of Washington behavioral neuroscience is done extending invites for this round of interviews and University of Oregon cognitive neuroscience is sending them out by the end of this week.

Also learned that when Brandeis says you can't submit more than one grad application per academic year, they meant AT ALL, not just within one department (learned after I had submitted and paid the app fee for the Neuroscience MS...my bad for not understanding the instructions...)

3 hours ago, psychgal2112 said:

Does anyone know if some schools skip the interview? Is that super uncommon for our programs? This wait is killing me and I'm trying to pass the time by overthinking

I would say it is pretty uncommon for schools to not hold interviews, but of course, there are always exceptions to the rules, and there are definitely a handful of schools that do not conduct in-person interviews. Surprisingly, there are even some schools that do not conduct any type of interview apparently. (Someone recently received an acceptance from UCSC without any kind of interview on Results Search.)

Out of all of the schools that my SO applied to, only 2 of them do not conduct in-person interviews. However, they both conduct Skype/phone interviews before extending an acceptance.

I know what you are saying about the wait! It is excruciating! I am hoping that after the in-person interviews, my SO hears fairly quickly thereafter (from looking at the Results page, it looks like after the interview, if the POI wants to accept him, he should hear back no more than two weeks after the interview, which is terrifying because they are coming up so soon!!) Also, he has this weird Skype "interview" coming up that wasn't called an interview, but is for one of the programs that does not conduct in-person interviews. The email basically just said that she wants to talk about the lab and the program, does that mean he won't be getting interviewed or....what does it mean?? So ambiguous! Anyways, since he received the email all we have been doing is overthinking what is going to happen on the Skype call, so I am happy to join the club! :)

Edited by FeelTheBern

2 hours ago, FeelTheBern said:

I would say it is pretty uncommon for schools to not hold interviews, but of course, there are always exceptions to the rules, and there are definitely a handful of schools that do not conduct in-person interviews. Surprisingly, there are even some schools that do not conduct any type of interview apparently. (Someone recently received an acceptance from UCSC without any kind of interview on Results Search.)

Out of all of the schools that my SO applied to, only 2 of them do not conduct in-person interviews. However, they both conduct Skype/phone interviews before extending an acceptance.

I know what you are saying about the wait! It is excruciating! I am hoping that after the in-person interviews, my SO hears fairly quickly thereafter (from looking at the Results page, it looks like after the interview, if the POI wants to accept him, he should hear back no more than two weeks after the interview, which is terrifying because they are coming up so soon!!) Also, he has this weird Skype "interview" coming up that wasn't called an interview, but is for one of the programs that does not conduct in-person interviews. The email basically just said that she wants to talk about the lab and the program, does that mean he won't be getting interviewed or....what does it mean?? So ambiguous! Anyways, since he received the email all we have been doing is overthinking what is going to happen on the Skype call, so I am happy to join the club! :)

Thanks so much for your input! Yeah, I saw the UCSC one as well and that's what sparked my inquiry! I also saw for UCLA that they didn't do interviews for a particular year (even with interview dates posted online) so I'm thinking... how do we know for sure??

And that's so exciting for your SO! Sounds like it is lowkey an interview, but maybe it's just an opportunity for your SO to ask questions about the lab and program! Please keep us posted :) 

3 hours ago, psychgal2112 said:

Sounds like it is lowkey an interview, but maybe it's just an opportunity for your SO to ask questions about the lab and program! Please keep us posted :)

Sure will! I see that you added a signature! Have you had your interview yet?

20 hours ago, FeelTheBern said:

The email basically just said that she wants to talk about the lab and the program, does that mean he won't be getting interviewed or....what does it mean?? So ambiguous! Anyways, since he received the email all we have been doing is overthinking what is going to happen on the Skype call, so I am happy to join the club! :)

That sounds like a looming acceptance to me, especially if they don't conduct in-persons. 

4 hours ago, overdetermination said:

That sounds like a looming acceptance to me, especially if they don't conduct in-persons. 

I really hope you are right! We have both been afraid to say that, just because that would really suck if we were wrong, but thanks for that!

Good luck at your Brown/Northwestern interview next weekend btw! Still unsure whether my SO will be interviewing next weekend or 2/19 for NYU. So far we have heard nothing from the the department (interview schedule, rooming, etc.) so we are thinking either he will be going to the 2/19 interview, or everything is just going to be done very last minute.

@overdetermination@psychgal2112

Thanks for your help guys! I just wanted to let you both know (and anyone else who may have been following the conversation) that it turns out that there is an interview weekend for Tufts! Past results have not indicated an official interview weekend, but maybe there always has been? After an hour and a half Skype call, my SO was invited to the interview weekend, which is going to be Sunday/Monday 2/21-2/22 (heading to Boston two weekends in a row) and possibly back to back with NYU! This is going to be a busy, stressful, crazy month! Thanks again :)

On 2/1/2016 at 11:06 AM, FeelTheBern said:

@overdetermination@psychgal2112

Thanks for your help guys! I just wanted to let you both know (and anyone else who may have been following the conversation) that it turns out that there is an interview weekend for Tufts! Past results have not indicated an official interview weekend, but maybe there always has been? After an hour and a half Skype call, my SO was invited to the interview weekend, which is going to be Sunday/Monday 2/21-2/22 (heading to Boston two weekends in a row) and possibly back to back with NYU! This is going to be a busy, stressful, crazy month! Thanks again :)

Woohoo! Congrats to your SO! Boston is such a beautiful city! :) 

35 minutes ago, psychgal2112 said:

Hi good friends! How is everyone doing? I feel like this thread has been a little slow! Are you guys still waiting on many schools? :) 

I think many people are either prepping for interviews or on interviews! I have to say, waiting for my interview weekends is making me increasingly anxious. I just want to know already...

Edited by Gvh

57 minutes ago, psychgal2112 said:

Hi good friends! How is everyone doing? I feel like this thread has been a little slow! Are you guys still waiting on many schools? :) 

I have a few interviews I'm still waiting to attend, but I have gotten acceptances from UC Santa Cruz (cognitive psych) and UCLA (behavioral neuro), so I have gotten some good news! 

13 minutes ago, vislabgirlx said:

I have a few interviews I'm still waiting to attend, but I have gotten acceptances from UC Santa Cruz (cognitive psych) and UCLA (behavioral neuro), so I have gotten some good news! 

Congrats on UCLA! ;)

1 hour ago, vislabgirlx said:

Damn, I almost applied to UCLA! At least I'd have heard back something from them by now, haha. Still waiting to hear from UGA BBS program. The waiting is awful.