Fall 2016 Cognitive Neuroscience (Psychology Departments)

Gvh

2 hours ago, psychgal2112 said:

Hi good friends! How is everyone doing? I feel like this thread has been a little slow! Are you guys still waiting on many schools? :) 

Yay! You went from 1 to 2 interviews...so awesome! Good luck, are they coming up soon??

First interview for my SO is in three days, and then the following week, two back-to-back interviews! We have decided to presume rejections for the rest, however, technically he has only heard from 4 schools officially. I am thinking that after his interviews, if he is accepted, he should hear within a week (if not unofficially from his POI during the interview weekend). The turnaround acceptance rate seems to be very quick after interview weekend for most schools.

What is freaking me out is how soon that is! If he got accepted anywhere, we should know in two weeks max! AHHHH:o

Congrats @vislabgirlx! Something that has been bothering me lately is thinking about how many applicants are going to be invited for the same POI! Since you have experience with previous interviews @vislabgirlx, can you speak to how many people were there for your POI? Also, I know @Gvh has been thru one app cycle, can you speak to this at all?

15 minutes ago, FeelTheBern said:

Congrats @vislabgirlx! Something that has been bothering me lately is thinking about how many applicants are going to be invited for the same POI! Since you have experience with previous interviews @vislabgirlx, can you speak to how many people were there for your POI? Also, I know @Gvh has been thru one app cycle, can you speak to this at all?

I think it does depend quite widely on the school and PI. When I applied to a PI last year, there were only a couple of us applying to the same lab -- but I've heard this can vary from only 1 person to as many as 7 (!). So I don't think you'e going to know for sure unless you ask directly or figure it out when you visit! :/

Edited by Gvh

@Gvh @FeelTheBern Thanks for the congrats, guys!! 

To answer your question @FeelTheBern, it varies. I have one school where I am the only person my POI is interviewing, and others where I'll be one of multiple interviewees. I think it's more common these days that professors invite at least 2 people, that way they can have options (and if one person denies their offer, they can potentially extend an offer to a second person). 

But I do love that I am the only interviewee for one of my POIs, it really takes the pressure off. I know that at this interview I won't be competing with anyone, especially since he has his own funding for me.  He says that, unlike many of his colleagues, he only invites people who he intends to make offers, too. Apparently, this way of doing it is becoming less common. Most POIs invite more than one perspective. 

13 minutes ago, vislabgirlx said:

But I do love that I am the only interviewee for one of my POIs, it really takes the pressure off. I know that at this interview I won't be competing with anyone, especially since he has his own funding for me.  

Out of curiosity, how do you know you're his only interviewee? Did he just tell you straight up?

1 minute ago, Gvh said:

Out of curiosity, how do you know you're his only interviewee? Did he just tell you straight up?

Yeah! He said that, and then told me the bit about how he only interviews people he intends on making an offer to. I think I told you about that in a PM? 

5 minutes ago, vislabgirlx said:

Yeah! He said that, and then told me the bit about how he only interviews people he intends on making an offer to. I think I told you about that in a PM? 

Nice! You might have, but wasn't sure. That's awesome :) I'm only interviewing at one non-rotation program (i.e. applying to specific POI) and on the phone he said 
"I hope we can convince you to come here", but that's not quite the same, haha.

Hope everyone is getting along fine :) My first interview is coming up this weekend and I'm starting to feel the nerves! :wacko:

What did it go for your SO at Northeastern, @FeelTheBern

Thank you for asking @Gvh! He said it went great and he felt as though he could not have done any better than he did. He loved the department, the graduate student who works in his POI's lab, his POI, and all of the professors within Cognition. Boston is also an amazing, beautiful city, so we would both be really excited to live there! There were not any hints of acceptance or possible acceptance, so we are just going to have to wait it out, but I think he should be hearing back pretty soon according to the department! They said that there were approx. 7 slots for this year and there were 32 students at the interview (a bit more than we were expecting), so odds are about 20%, however, only one other girl was applying to his same POI, so possibly 50% for him....

Good luck this weekend! :) My SO is preparing for two more this weekend that are basically back-to-back, and then after that we can FINALLY sit back and relax and wait to hear (although I am not really sure how relaxing the wait is going to be). haha

Please post after your interview this weekend @Gvh, and let us know how it goes!

Edited by FeelTheBern

Just discovered this place and this thread! It certainly feels much better to know that some people are still waiting. Has anyone heard back from Cornell or Princeton yet? I haven't heard a single word from them and I'm losing it a little just waiting... 

1 hour ago, OldBat said:

Just discovered this place and this thread! It certainly feels much better to know that some people are still waiting. Has anyone heard back from Cornell or Princeton yet? I haven't heard a single word from them and I'm losing it a little just waiting... 

I had a friend get into Princeton! 

9 hours ago, FeelTheBern said:

7 slots for this year and there were 32 students at the interview (a bit more than we were expecting), so odds are about 20%, however, only one other girl was applying to his same POI, so possibly 50% for him....

Sounds good! You'll have to keep us posted, but bear in mind that if there are 7 slots, they are likely to admit anywhere from 12-16 people, since they anticipate many people not accepting the offer. So the odds are actually much better, around 50%! (As far as I understand, this tends to be a common figure..) :D 

Thanks! I'll def keep you all posted after the interview. Likewise, best of luck to your SO this weekend too!

3 hours ago, Gvh said:

Sounds good! You'll have to keep us posted, but bear in mind that if there are 7 slots, they are likely to admit anywhere from 12-16 people, since they anticipate many people not accepting the offer. So the odds are actually much better, around 50%! (As far as I understand, this tends to be a common figure..) :D

Great point, for some reason I didn't even think about this! Crossing my fingers for the both of us!

20 hours ago, FeelTheBern said:

My SO is preparing for two more this weekend that are basically back-to-back, and then after that we can FINALLY sit back and relax and wait to hear (although I am not really sure how relaxing the wait is going to be). haha

This weekend is (most probably) my last one, too. I am not looking forward to the wait-with-nothing-to-be-done that comes after...but I am looking forward to meeting your SO all incognito-like! 

1 minute ago, overdetermination said:

I am not looking forward to the wait-with-nothing-to-be-done that comes after...but I am looking forward to meeting your SO all incognito-like!

Hey, I was wondering how things have been going for you (you haven't posted lately, but I figured you were crazy busy with interviews). And yes! I have told him about you, so you both will probably meet without knowing! The wait is going to be awful, but I hope that decisions are made fairly quickly to ease the pain. Everyone should definitely post acceptances when they find out so that we can all celebrate together :)

• 2 months later...

Hey all, so given this application season is officially over (for most of us, anyway), I thought I'd send a quick shout out to say goodbye and congrats to everyone who got offers, and good luck to those in it for Fall 2017! As a curiosity note, where are you ending up  @St0chastic, @lovemc@overdetermination & @Tahlain?! (Sorry if I left anyone out!)

Here's to doing awesome things in our respective programs :)

P.S: if anyone is attending UChicago Psych PhD this fall, PM me! 

I am also curious to see what awesome schools everyone ended up at! Great idea @Gvh :)

I'm sure you are really excited about UChicago! My SO just got the the list of all of the people who will be in his cohort (8 total) and who they will be working with...it's all happening so fast!:o

Edited by FeelTheBern

I know, @FeelTheBern! It definitely is. I'm already freaking out about housing and moving logistics! :wacko:

Ooh I want to know who's in my cohort! lol, I'm pretty sure my dept would think I'm a stalker if I asked for names...

52 minutes ago, FeelTheBern said:

I am also curious to see what awesome schools everyone ended up at! Great idea @Gvh :)

I'm sure you are really excited about UChicago! My SO just got the the list of all of the people who will be in his cohort (8 total) and who they will be working with...it's all happening so fast!:o

8 people! They recruited so few people each year... I'm still disappointed a little about not making it to NYU! @FeelTheBern lol

@Gvh Great idea! I'm going to McGill at the end! Besides thrilled, I start to realize tons of annoying visa issues I'm facing now. 

Congrats @lovemc!! McGill is awesome, I visited there a couple years ago on a trip and the campus is beautiful.

How are y'all finding housing? I'm realizing I am going to have to sign a lease without actually having seen the apartment. Slightly nerve-wracking. 

6 minutes ago, Gvh said:

Congrats @lovemc!! McGill is awesome, I visited there a couple years ago on a trip and the campus is beautiful.

How are y'all finding housing? I'm realizing I am going to have to sign a lease without actually having seen the apartment. Slightly nerve-wracking. 

@GvhYeah quite some people told me so, I can't wait to see the campus! I will probably apply for on-campus housing for the first year and look for places when I'm already there. Maybe you could set up a Skype with your potential landlord and let him show you the house to get some idea!

Edited by lovemc

Yeah, I applied for grad housing too but apparently it's super duper competitive and thus not guaranteed :/ Either way I will have to sign the lease without having seen the place!

I hope you're stocking up on winter clothes for those fun Canadian winters :P