Fall 2016 Cognitive Neuroscience (Psychology Departments)

Gvh

@Asimio, welcome! Remember that the population on GradCafe is very skewed, so don't judge yourself too harshly :)

Most masters aren't funded (and yes, generally expensive) - to be honest there aren't very many masters programs in Neuroscience at all :/ Of the ones that do exist I know there are a few schools that offer a few funded spots, but I'm not sure where. Maybe someone else can chime in?

Hi all! My SO is applying to cognitive science and cognitive psychology programs. He is not big on gradcafe, but I like to monitor it to see what he is up against! :) We are both seniors, graduating in May, and this will be his first time applying. In total SO is applying to 12 programs (fingers crossed at least one comes through). So far we have submitted 5 apps with a December 1 deadline. The other 7 have due dates of December 10, December 15, and January 1/2. We are both very excited to be done with this stressful process, and hope that we only have to go through it once!

So far we have sent apps to: University of Connecticut, University of Maryland - College Park, Washington University in St. Louis, NYU, and Ohio State University

I am wishing the best of luck to everyone, and am really excited to see where this application journey takes us!

1 hour ago, SavannahLMartinez said:

The other 7 have due dates of December 12, December 15, and January 1/2. We are both very excited to be done with this stressful process, and hope that we only have to go through it once!

Which programs are these? Most of the ones I stumbled upon had 1 Dec deadlines.

@Gvh I hope so *fingers crossed*

Edited by Asimio

On 11/29/2015, 8:48:24, passenger47 said:

I have a couple of those in common! U of Washington (top choice), U of Oregon, UT Austin, Boulder, U Chicago, WU St. Louis, Boston College, Johns Hopkins, Duke CNAP, Stony Brook, NYU, UMass Amherst. A few of those are behavioral neuroscience programs, but close enough. ;) I'll also probably apply to a few Master's programs in Jan/Feb.

Hey passenger! Thought you would be interested in this, it was posted in Results Search today by a WashU grad student:

"*I am a current grad student at WashU* *This if info for 2016 applicants* For 2016 applicants, our interview weekend will be held Feb 11 and 12, 2016. Hope to see y'all there! *Note: Review of 2016 applications has NOT begun and will not begin until winter break. Nobody has been contacted, nobody has been invited. So do not worry if you haven't heard anything. This is merely a set-in-stone date for interview weekend.*"

SO has also applied to WashU and NYU!

Edited by Three Bucks Two Bags PhD

Is anyone else getting impatient about interviews or just hearing from schools in general? I know that it is still super early, but I feel like every psychology sub field has heard something except us! Is this usually how it is?

My SO has been in contact with a POI and she told him to send his application to her after it was officially submitted. She was the only POI to say this. Is this a good thing? Does it mean he may hear back sooner about acceptance/rejection?

Also, @Gvh, I know you have been thru this before! When did you get your first rejection? interview? acceptance? I can't believe that I am so anxious about all of this, and some deadlines haven't even passed yet!

@Le Soleil et La Lune; to be honest my first experience wasn't super representative because I only applied to 1 psychology program and 1 neuroscience program. I didn't get the rejection from the neuro program until well after their interview weekend (I didn't get an interview) and I got my interview notification for the psych program in the first/second week of January, which was in line with when applicants had heard back in previous years. So I recommend looking at the survey to get an idea for when your programs typically send out invites! (I made a note of these in my giant spreadsheet!) :)

Either way it's still ridiculously early. The deadline for one of my programs hasn't even passed yet!

Okay, so I know that a bunch of applications aren't even due until the 15th of December, and a lot of review committees won't even look at applications until after winter break...but AAAAAAAH!!!

The compulsive email and application status checking is getting a liiiittle out of hand. Anyone else in the same boat?

I also have no excuse for this behavior seeing as I applied last year and know that interview invites usually go out in early January...

2 hours ago, passenger47 said:

The compulsive email and application status checking is getting a liiiittle out of hand. Anyone else in the same boat?

I'm definitely on the same boat when it comes to the email checking. I probably check my email at least once every 15 minutes. It's getting out of hand. It's to the point where I'm getting a little annoyed with other people for emailing me, haha. Like, why can't you be a graduate admissions coordinator emailing to say I have an interview?! 

Woo! Heard back from first school, interview/visit in January! Exciting! Seems rather quick because the deadline was the 1st and I know the school isn't on break yet. I had a few schools with deadlines on the 5th, 15th, and another not until mid January for those of you that were discussing application deadlines. Here's to everyone hearing back soon hopefully!

On 12/3/2015 at 10:28 AM, Gvh said:

@Asimo

Most masters aren't funded (and yes, generally expensive) - to be honest there aren't very many masters programs in Neuroscience at all :/ Of the ones that do exist I know there are a few schools that offer a few funded spots, but I'm not sure where. Maybe someone else can chime in?

Dunno if anyone is still looking, but URI funds some of its master's students in the neuroscience program. 

37 minutes ago, SkyLy said:

@lovemc SO applied to NYU :) no word on interviews yet!

Are those the only two schools you applied to?

Nope, I applied to 5 programs. But only got one interview from UC riverside till now... Every day is so nervous