Fall 2016 Cognitive Neuroscience (Psychology Departments)

Gvh

On 12/3/2015 at 10:28 AM, Gvh said:

@Asimio, welcome! Remember that the population on GradCafe is very skewed, so don't judge yourself too harshly :)

Most masters aren't funded (and yes, generally expensive) - to be honest there aren't very many masters programs in Neuroscience at all :/ Of the ones that do exist I know there are a few schools that offer a few funded spots, but I'm not sure where. Maybe someone else can chime in?

I can speak from experience, as I'm in this program now:

Villanova University (Philadelphia area, Pennsylvania) has an M.S. program in Experimental Psychology, with 3 PIs doing neuroscience work. About 2/3 of the students get assistantships with some kind of funding (tuition only, tuition + $800/mo, tuition + $1700/month). The best way to get an assistantship, in my experience, is to be assertive and ask for one. They say it's merit based, and I'm sure it is on some level, but most of the cohort are all equally deserving. I have yet to hear of someone who made it known that they really needed funding and didn't get any. The folks who don't approach anyone about it seem more likely to get passed over.

My GA-ship got me in with one of the neuroscience PIs (you have a say in who you get assigned to- talk to the PIs and make it known that you're interested). I've led 6 projects, will publish 2, had a poster at SfN, and have an interview with a neuro PhD program in a month. The grad student in our lab who graduated last year got into neuro programs at U Iowa, Columbia, and a few others I don't remember.

AND the application deadline isn't until March 1st.

This program was my backup plan for the 2014 application cycle, and it was a good thing. I didn't have enough research experience for a PhD program at that time, but I definitely do now.

Funded programs exist if you hunt for them. And don't think that you have to go to a neuro M.S. program to pursue a neuro Ph.D., it's all about what kinds of research projects you do while you're there, not the name of the program.

Good luck!

On 12/20/2015 at 5:02 PM, lovemc said:

Hi all! Just got registered. Anyone applied or got interviews from University of Toronto and NYU?

Yup - applied to NYU! Haven't heard anything from them yet.

2 hours ago, RDV_neuro said:

I can speak from experience, as I'm in this program now:

Villanova University (Philadelphia area, Pennsylvania) has an M.S. program in Experimental Psychology, with 3 PIs doing neuroscience work. About 2/3 of the students get assistantships with some kind of funding (tuition only, tuition + $800/mo, tuition + $1700/month). The best way to get an assistantship, in my experience, is to be assertive and ask for one. They say it's merit based, and I'm sure it is on some level, but most of the cohort are all equally deserving. I have yet to hear of someone who made it known that they really needed funding and didn't get any. The folks who don't approach anyone about it seem more likely to get passed over.

My GA-ship got me in with one of the neuroscience PIs (you have a say in who you get assigned to- talk to the PIs and make it known that you're interested). I've led 6 projects, will publish 2, had a poster at SfN, and have an interview with a neuro PhD program in a month. The grad student in our lab who graduated last year got into neuro programs at U Iowa, Columbia, and a few others I don't remember.

AND the application deadline isn't until March 1st.

This program was my backup plan for the 2014 application cycle, and it was a good thing. I didn't have enough research experience for a PhD program at that time, but I definitely do now.

Funded programs exist if you hunt for them. And don't think that you have to go to a neuro M.S. program to pursue a neuro Ph.D., it's all about what kinds of research projects you do while you're there, not the name of the program.

Good luck!

Thanks for posting this!  I've been looking closely at the Master's programs offered by Villanova, William and Mary, and Wake Forest.  They all seem like great programs that are perfect for preparing someone for a research career.  I wish I had known about them as an undergrad so I could have applied as a senior.  

4 hours ago, passenger47 said:

Yeah hope they haven't sent out interview invitations yet. Dream school!! But so difficult to get in...

22 minutes ago, lovemc said:

Yeah hope they haven't sent out interview invitations yet. Dream school!! But so difficult to get in...

Based on the info in the survey, they don't send out invites until well into January...!

2 hours ago, Gvh said:

Based on the info in the survey, they don't send out invites until well into January...!

That's good to hear, at least for now! Couldn't help checking emails and result page here all the time!

I applied to University of Delaware, where the neuroscience and psychology programs are fused together. They host four programs(clinical psych, behavioral neuroscience, cognitive psychology, and social psych) and so far in the results section they have given interviews for clinical psych and neuroscience, both on 1/29 or 2/1 but I haven't heard anything for cognitive psych(which I applied for). Ugh, I'm getting nervous 

On December 21, 2015 at 5:14 PM, passenger47 said:

Have you heard from NYU psych? It sounds like they have at least begun to review apps because a couple of people got contacted by their POIs....seems pretty early for this program! 

I really hope my POI is one of the lazy ones/is on vacation and hasn't contacted anyone yet! :unsure:

On 12/23/2015 at 10:03 PM, lovemc said:

Is it common that the department tends to deal with clinical/education psychology first? As there're not many cognitive neuroscience/psychology interviews out in the result session yet. 

I was actually thinking this same thing! Not too many cognitive psychology results are posted yet, at least compared to some of the other fields!

@Analyticchic would you mind sharing your POI at UDel?

On 12/26/2015 at 6:34 AM, Gvh said:

Have you heard from NYU psych? It sounds like they have at least begun to review apps because a couple of people got contacted by their POIs....seems pretty early for this program! 

I really hope my POI is one of the lazy ones/is on vacation and hasn't contacted anyone yet! :unsure:

Nope - haven't heard anything else! Saw those cognitive neuroscience submitted results. I was surprised they heard from POIs like on Christmas.

2 minutes ago, passenger47 said:

Nope - haven't heard anything else! Saw those cognitive neuroscience submitted results. I was surprised they heard from POIs like on Christmas.

I know right? I was surprised too, but I guess not everyone celebrates Christmas. In fact, I know some profs that like the big holidays because it's so quiet in the office *shrugs*. 

On January 5, 2016 at 3:48 AM, cttabye said:

Hi Guys. Didnt' see many posts here recently. Anyone applied to U Toronto?

I did! I received an invitation to a recruitment event later in January shortly before the holidays (via e-mail from a POI) and was told more info would be coming ... but haven't heard anything since. I know they don't officially start class for a few more days but I'm really hoping for more details soon so I can make travel arrangements. Anyone else in the same situation?

10 hours ago, psyc2016 said:

I did! I received an invitation to a recruitment event later in January shortly before the holidays (via e-mail from a POI) and was told more info would be coming ... but haven't heard anything since. I know they don't officially start class for a few more days but I'm really hoping for more details soon so I can make travel arrangements. Anyone else in the same situation?

Good for you! I'm still having nothing right now and considering it's my top choice, really stressed out now :(

18 hours ago, psyc2016 said:

Congrats! Are you a Canadian applicant? 

I posted this in a different thread, but I haven't heard/seen anything about it at all. I saw two UNC-chapel hill invites for the behavioral neuroscience program in December. Does anyone know if they are done with sending interview invites?

I've been invited to Hopkins, Dartmouth, NYU, and University of Toronto (all psych doctoral programs) thus far.

Has anyone heard back from Harvard, Princeton, Yale, Berkeley, or UCSD? :)

1 hour ago, Fork said:

I've been invited to Hopkins, Dartmouth, NYU, and University of Toronto (all psych doctoral programs) thus far.

Congrats! Also I think people have heard from Princeton already if you check the results page. Would you mind PMing me your POIs at Dartmouth and NYU?

2 hours ago, Fork said:

Congrats on your invitations!! 

I heard from my POI at Princeton the beginning of December and received the official department invite around the 22nd. 

I'm currently an undergrad at UCSD and I'm pretty sure that my thesis advisor said that the department has sent all of their invites. 

Berkeley sent all of their invitations around the 23rd of December, I didn't get one either *shrugs* 

Hey @Fork! Congrats on all of your invites and welcome to TGC!

Did you apply to the Cognition and Perception program at NYU? My SO also received an invite to the interview weekend in Feb.! Will you be going Feb. 5 or 19? Also, who is the POI you received the invite from, if you don't mind sharing? (you can PM me if you prefer).

Edited by SkyLy

9 hours ago, neuro_queen said:

I posted this in a different thread, but I haven't heard/seen anything about it at all. I saw two UNC-chapel hill invites for the behavioral neuroscience program in December. Does anyone know if they are done with sending interview invites?

i would also be interested in the answer to this...

16 hours ago, Dr. Brains said:

i would also be interested in the answer to this...

I was tempted to email the department, but I know that they get a lot of applications and I don't want to be a nuisance. I guess all we can do is wait...:(

On 1/10/2016 at 9:57 AM, neuro_queen said:

21 minutes ago, neuro_queen said:

I was tempted to email the department, but I know that they get a lot of applications and I don't want to be a nuisance. I guess all we can do is wait...:(

i might just email them...i want to know. i 100% a nuisance and i'm sorry.