Fall 2016 Cognitive Neuroscience (Psychology Departments)

Gvh

2 minutes ago, Dr. Brains said:

i might just email them...i want to know. i 100% a nuisance and i'm sorry. 

If you do email them and they reply will you post what they said? Or PM me? This wait is stressing me out! 

On 1/10/2016 at 9:57 AM, neuro_queen said:

I posted this in a different thread, but I haven't heard/seen anything about it at all. I saw two UNC-chapel hill invites for the behavioral neuroscience program in December. Does anyone know if they are done with sending interview invites?

just called. they said if we were invited we would have already received an invite :(

anyone else apply to UChicago Integrative Neuroscience program? Difficult to see when they usually send out invites based on the results database. Interviews aren't until feb 20th though I guess

How is everyone holding up? Happy about the interview invite(s) you have so far? Nervous about when/if you will hear from the other schools you applied to? Excited to visit prospective schools and meet POIs in person? :)

On 1/11/2016 at 1:13 PM, Dr. Brains said:

just called. they said if we were invited we would have already received an invite :(

Do you know if this is just for the behavioral neuroscience program or for all of the psych programs?

On 1/11/2016 at 9:21 PM, natnat1810 said:

Hi everyone, I was wondering if anyone applied/heard back from Brown's cognitive program? I had a Skype interview but haven't heard anything at all since.

Did you hear back, @natnat1810? A bunch of invites went out over the last couple of days. 

On 1/7/2016 at 7:46 PM, psyc2016 said:

I did! I received an invitation to a recruitment event later in January shortly before the holidays (via e-mail from a POI) and was told more info would be coming ... but haven't heard anything since. I know they don't officially start class for a few more days but I'm really hoping for more details soon so I can make travel arrangements. Anyone else in the same situation?

I believe the recruitment week last year was last week of January. For international or out-of-town applicants, they will start sending info the week before that. Usually that's arranged by your potential POIs (however many you applied to). Hope that helps!

So after inquiring about one of my apps to the admin, I received this response:

"Unfortunately I am not at liberty to tell you the status of your application. At the moment, all applications are still being reviewed."

Does anyone else feel like this is a massive cop-out? Just tell me I'm rejected already! <_<

8 minutes ago, neuro_queen said:

I just wish I would hear back from one program...

It's starting to get depressing -.-

I hear you. Seeing so many people get interviews can be very depressing. 

I hope things work out for you and you hear from someone soon.

49 minutes ago, Gvh said:

So after inquiring about one of my apps to the admin, I received this response:

"Unfortunately I am not at liberty to tell you the status of your application. At the moment, all applications are still being reviewed."

Does anyone else feel like this is a massive cop-out? Just tell me I'm rejected already! <_<

Feel exactly the same when I got reply from one of my applications!

29 minutes ago, cttabye said:

Feel exactly the same when I got reply from one of my applications!

I know right. The eye-rolling part is that s/he probably would be "at liberty" to tell me if I had been selected to interview.

2 minutes ago, passenger47 said:

I was about to lose my mind when I saw an email from University of Chicago graduate admissions. It's a newsletter...an evil, misleading newsletter....

I hear you @passenger47. Based on historical data, interviews go out at the end of next week....fingers crossed!

Hello there! I've just recently rediscovered grad cafe as application season rolled around (used it sporadically while applying for masters programs). I love this thread and thought that I'd share some of my experiences with the whole application process so far. I'm applying to 6 psychology programs, all of them with a concentration in cognition, Johns Hopkins, Chicago, Harvard, Vanderbilt, UPenn, & Michigan. I've had skype interviews for JHU and Vanderbilt, both of which seemed positive. I'm also an international student which makes it kinda hard to have any other form of interview. I've also received a rejection letter from Michigan this morning. I'm still slightly hopeful and not really freaking out at this point, however I have to admit that looking at this thread makes me wonder if I should have applied to more programs. Good luck on scoring those interviews! :lol:

Hey @St0chastic! My SO received his first official rejection today, but it was a soft rejection (if that's a thing), so no hard feelings...yet. No on-site interviews have happened yet, but there are two impending ones! SO is preparing as much as he possibly can for both, since we are not really sure how many more he might get! We have a really good feeling about one of the schools, but we are thinking that getting one more interview may clinch at least one acceptance (hopefully)!

How's it going for you? Any on-site interviews yet?? And if so, how was it?!

Edited by FeelTheBern

2 hours ago, FeelTheBern said:

Btw @St0chastic, I saw on another thread that you have received interview invites from 7 of the 8 schools you applied to! Congratulations, that's really awesome!

Thank you!  To be completely honest, I was expecting 1-2 at most since I didn't apply to any safety schools.  When you hear stories of so many uber-qualified applicants getting turned down, it's all too easy to convince yourself that you aren't up to snuff. The reality is that the admissions process is far from perfect, and there are inevitably many deserving applicants who are turned down for questionable reasons.  I think I lucked out partially because I happened to do well on the GRE, partially because I maybe picked POIs that aren't as "in demand", and partially because I've cultivated close relationships with my mentors in the past two years that secured me solid letters of recommendation (or so I assume). Either way, I'm happy to have made it to this stage. 

I just finished interviewing at WashU (I had to reschedule my visit due to a conflict with another university) and feel that it went fairly well.  In retrospect there are things I could have done better, but my overall impression of the visit was positive.  The next few weeks are going to be rather hectic, though!  Next week I have back-to-back-to-back visits with UCLA, UC Davis, and Northwestern.  The following week I'll be going to Vanderbilt, and the weekend after that Michigan and Illinois.  I'm simultaneously nervous and excited about these visits, and I'm sure I'll be utterly exhausted when all is said and done.  Regardless of how things turn out, it's going to be a great learning experience.  

Edited by St0chastic