Welcome to the 2015-2016 Cycle!

I've had an informal acceptance email from the chair of the department at Yale but still no official email taking me to the admit page. That suggests those who haven't got any email can still be getting a yes from them.

1 hour ago, CarefreeWritingsontheWall said:

Congrats to the Yale admits! Fingers crossed we hear something more concrete from Georgetown this week. I'm dying a little...still haven't been able to get any work done.

Don't take this the wrong way, but after a Princeton acceptance, why Georgetown? Fit? Is there something I'm missing about Georgetown? I have an offer there, but am planning to decline. 

Edited by PizzaCat93

35 minutes ago, Adorno said:

Word word. The anxious email refreshing is starting to wear on me. 

When I saw someone post that acceptances would be going out today I found it a bit odd. It could be the case that everyone who will been accepted have been, or perhaps those who were accepted today simply haven't/don't post on GC. OR today just wasn't the day. Though it's still not COB in south bend....

Edited by Straussian Dogmatist

9 minutes ago, Straussian Dogmatist said:

When I saw someone post that acceptances would be going out today I found it a bit odd. It could be the case that everyone who will been accepted have been, or perhaps those who were accepted today simply haven't/don't post on GC. OR today just wasn't the day. Though it's still not COB in south bend....

Yeah it seemed like a dubious claim. I don't think all the acceptances or rejections have gone out yet though just based on last years numbers/the faint hope I hold. Best of luck to you either way!

4 hours ago, yasir8959 said:

Good luck with it. Do tell how it turns out! 

So a quick chat with the program coordinator revealed that the first two years are guaranteed, the following years will be competitive TA/GSR positions. He said this is how the program has worked for many years - it's not that I wasn't qualified for more funding. Is this normal, or a red flag? Seems scary to commit to a school with only two years of funding assured!

Had a great first visit. But it's a super tiring process. These next two weeks are going to be the death of me.

6 minutes ago, GradSchoolTruther said:

It's not normal for most programs and I'd be wary. 

Ditto. Funding is typically guaranteed for 4-5 years and contingent only on success in meeting program requirements. It is very important to have package details in writing — informal agreements and assurances aren't reliable.

Edited by elw
Formatting, extra response

Yale is over. I liked that they apparently sent all responses at once. Nice.
Now I am just waiting for the last confirmations for rejections from Columbia, Harvard and Georgetown. It is only a matter of time, really.
I'll be here next cycle, ladies and gentlemen. I expect and will work towards a happier ending for me. Never give up!
I am very happy for everyone who got admitted and extend my sympathies to those that have got an outcome like mine.
I think I will not post in this thread anymore, nor read it. If any of you need me for some reason, feel free to PM me.

Thanks a lot, everybody.

6 hours ago, PizzaCat93 said:

Don't take this the wrong way, but after a Princeton acceptance, why Georgetown? Fit? Is there something I'm missing about Georgetown? I have an offer there, but am planning to decline. 

More of a personal curiosity really. I really love the school and the area of DC it's in. The fit is great - very comparable to the people I would be working with at Princeton. Also a much smaller cohort, which brings with it different benefits. The person I want to work with most at Princeton currently has 6 students, and can have up to 10... I was also rejected from their policy school two years ago as well - I'm wondering if I can get in this time around. My mind is by no means made up as to where I'm going right now pending visit days.

Congratulations to all of the Yale admits!!!

I still haven't heard anything from Yale (and there's nothing on the website), so at least a few of the responses have yet to go out. I have no idea whether I should still be hopeful or not.

I've been incredibly fortunate this application cycle, so I'm really not in any position to complain, but the waiting is still agonizing. 

Hey guys i have been checking this forum several times every day since January and I am about to wrap up this season as only 1 school is yet to release its decision. So far, (3a, 10r, 1?). 

I was wondering when I turn down an offer, if i have to send emails to all professors who have been in contact with me at the school. I just sent a turn down message to an administrative officer and I am puzzled how I manage to say "Ive decided to choose a better offer.." to professors directly..

55 minutes ago, springwheel said:

Hey guys i have been checking this forum several times every day since January and I am about to wrap up this season as only 1 school is yet to release its decision. So far, (3a, 10r, 1?). 

I was wondering when I turn down an offer, if i have to send emails to all professors who have been in contact with me at the school. I just sent a turn down message to an administrative officer and I am puzzled how I manage to say "Ive decided to choose a better offer.." to professors directly..

Use the same cryptic language that they use in rejection letters to us.

"I am Springwheel and i am afraid that i am approaching you with not a bad news. I had an unusually large number of great admissions this year and in my choice to decide another school i took into consideration a large number of factors. Those factors included, but were not limited to, school reputation, placement record, prized faculty, graduate assistantship, weather, proximity to home, nightlife, price of booze and mary jane, number of POPO's per thousand residents in the city (the lesser the better) and strip bars. I wish your school good luck for your educational aspirations and producing tenure-track research maniac professors for a long time to come. I must tell you that i gave your school a thorough review before reaching any conclusion."

Best 

Springwheel

Dont forget to sign the letter.

18 hours ago, twinsora said:

Was wondering if you received an e-mail from UCI in terms of their funding package. I'm still waiting on mine! 

Hey, sorry for the late reply. I haven't received official funding offer yet, but the admissions email said that they'll give me funding for six years contingent on satisfactory progress. Don't know how much that would be though.