Welcome to the 2015-2016 Cycle!

Anybody's heard from Duke and Illinois in terms of rejections? Got my Chicago and Rochester this week. I am dearly hoping for a miracle...but looks like it's either going to be Davis or Pittsburgh for me...any suggestion on the two schools would be appreciated! Cheers!

Still holding out for Toronto but no news since Carolyn's email last week. Also heard absolutely nothing from UVA so far. Should I resign myself to the rejection pile or reach out to them? Acceptances went out a good month ago now and I assume they would have contacted me if I was on the waiting list?

13 minutes ago, studugarte said:

Still holding out for Toronto but no news since Carolyn's email last week. Also heard absolutely nothing from UVA so far. Should I resign myself to the rejection pile or reach out to them? Acceptances went out a good month ago now and I assume they would have contacted me if I was on the waiting list?

You got accepted at all the British universities including the LSE of course. But three american universities viewed your file differently. If you dont mind shedding some light on what may be the reason, it would highlight some important differences in how american and british universities differ in viewing applicants! Are your research interests deeply focused on eupore?

3 hours ago, yasir8959 said:

You got accepted at all the British universities including the LSE of course. But three american universities viewed your file differently. If you dont mind shedding some light on what may be the reason, it would highlight some important differences in how american and british universities differ in viewing applicants! Are your research interests deeply focused on eupore?

Not really sure why I've not been successful in the States. I don't think I can put it down to my research interests as I only applied to schools that had good research matches to my own. I have wondered if US schools prefer students from US schools both because they can easily judge the prestige of the schools as well as identify the referees easily. Whilst my referees are pretty well-known here, perhaps they're not so well known in the states. 

On my own profile, maybe my GRE scores aren't competitive enough. I got summa cum laude for my undergraduate and have 4.0 (so far) for my MA so I doubt that was a negative factor. 

Again, all just speculating though.

8 hours ago, studugarte said:

At this point, I think that you should reach out to UVA, especially since I know that the recruitment folks have sent wait list, acceptance, and rejection notifications. Perhaps some anomaly led to you not receiving an update of your application's status.

40 minutes ago, wb3060 said:

Finally heard from Georgetown! Acceptance, but wait list for funding.  But  I've finally heard from all my schools so it's nice to be out of limbo. 

Congrats!! How were you notified? I'm still waiting to hear back from Georgetown and I'm not sure what stage of the process I'm in...waitlist...rejection..? I don't know what to expect.

1 minute ago, lstauffer714 said:

Congrats!! How were you notified? I'm still waiting to hear back from Georgetown and I'm not sure what stage of the process I'm in...waitlist...rejection..? I don't know what to expect.

Thanks!  Email with the letter attached, about an hour and a half ago.  I was surprised, I assumed a reject from the silence.  

2 hours ago, ultraultra said:

How are everyone's visits/decision-making processes going?

Just got back from Stony Brook, and it was fantastic. Will be going to North Carolina at the end of March, and then it is decision time!

22 minutes ago, twinsora said:

Just waiting on the New School's PhD Program in Politics. (Theory Subfield). E-mailed admissions director, and decisions should be out by the end of this week. 

Last school for me!  1/7 so far. 

Good luck!!

I applied to 8 masters programs. Till now, 4/4 (4 replies, 4 letters of acceptance), from Georgetown, Duke, Rutgers (Newark) and Massachusetts Amherst. I am still waiting for NYU, Columbia, Florida and Virginia

Received an unfunded MA offer from Boston College. Thought for sure there'd be some sort of aid or work study... nothing. Called them and it seems that as a policy they offer nothing to their masters students. Was my top choice and now not only do I feel the sting of rejection, but also have to deal with the miserable conditions they have set - you can study with us, but we want your money first. Feels almost disrespectful in a way. I nearly asked "are you joking?" when hearing the funding details. Hopefully my waitlist PhD offer comes through... if not, would anyone consider taking on an unfunded MA? I've heard talk about it on this website and have heard from many that it's a very bad deal. BC is a big deal for me, but I'm not sure if it's worth 50k+ in debt when I get out. 

I don't think I would take on that much debt for an MA, especially a theory MA. If I were in your position, I'd probably try to find a research position or other way of building up my profile over the next year and then re-apply, including some cheaper MA programs in the mix next round (such as U of T which has a large group of theorists and a political theory MA). Or you could also check out European programs, some of which are quite affordable and haven't finished accepting applications yet. 

I applied to the School of International Service at American University back in January. My status has been on "decision pending" for about 7 weeks now. i've heard of some people already hearing back from AU, a few offers of admission and two rejections. I'm getting kind of worried. Any insight?

I applied to the Masters in US Foreign Policy & National Security, specifically.

For a top choice waitlist situation where you've been notified that any decision on the matter will likely be very last minute or even just after April 15th, would it be wise to elegantly ask for an extension from the best offer already on hand (my top choice if not brought off the waitlist). It's possible that I'll hear back from my waitlist program early April 15th, but just in case it's a day or so later, I'm thinking I should ask my confirmed offer for a short extension maybe a week before the deadline. I don't want to wait and then be stuck asking for the extension on the afternoon of April 15th if I don't hear about the waitlist in time. And I don't want to just accept the offer and then ask to be let go if the waitlist goes my way.