Welcome to the 2015-2016 Cycle!

Also throwing my hat in the ring. Applied to over 15 schools, mostly top 25 with a few select others, 170v/160+q/6, 3.9 GPA, but also a couple weird factors (extensive overseas experience, first gen student). Interests at the intersection of IR and CP. Currently in complete despair mode.

The entire Christmas holiday was spent trying to gently explain to my entire (non college educated) family that I probably won't be able to "just go to the local school" since I'm from Boston so the "local school" means... well...

8 minutes ago, moe8 said:

Also throwing my hat in the ring. Applied to over 15 schools, mostly top 25 with a few select others, 170v/160+q/6, 3.9 GPA, but also a couple weird factors (extensive overseas experience, first gen student). Interests at the intersection of IR and CP. Currently in complete despair mode.

The entire Christmas holiday was spent trying to gently explain to my entire (non college educated) family that I probably won't be able to "just go to the local school" since I'm from Boston so the "local school" means... well...

Can't imagine why, those are almost immaculate numbers. 

Long time lurker and first time poster here! Thought I'd hop on now that the calendar has flipped to 2016 (and as my anxiety increases each day...). Hope everyone had a wonderful holiday season, and best of luck to all as we move full speed ahead over these next few months!

On 12/27/2015 at 9:18 PM, cgfren08 said:

On a brighter note (or not), Duke/WashU, and maybe Chicago and Berkley would release their results probably sometime around Jan 29, which is not that far away ;)  Now I am more anxious.  

Hi

I have 161V/156Q/4.0 AWA GRE with 3.26 CGPA in MBA from regional university in south asia. Probably the only feather in my cap would be five years work experiece in central bank in Banking policy & regulation. No research experience. Writing sample is work paper on exchange reserves management and central bank interventions. Personal statement basically plays on same set of issues. Based on not so stellar app, i am applying in 40-60 QS ranked programs.

Really stressed after reading all the stuff here. Anyway, you are all welcome to suggest ways to improve my chances. 

19 hours ago, ultraultra said:

don't feel comfortable publicly naming the school since I don't know whether it was an anomaly offer or not, but I heard back from a school this week requesting an interview :wub:

Congrats. You are the first one here who get good feedback from the applications.

20 hours ago, ultraultra said:

don't feel comfortable publicly naming the school since I don't know whether it was an anomaly offer or not, but I heard back from a school this week requesting an interview :wub:

Phone interview? I got an email today requesting one. Maybe it's the same school. ;)

On 2015/12/26 at 3:56 PM, Determinedandnervous said:

Just submitted the last of my applications. I am happy that it's over, but now I am fearful and anxious. 

Your profile/backgrounds are quite strong, and there is no reason for anxiety. Good luck!

Has anyone heard from Ohio State about an email or phone interview? I saw that people were starting to hear from them about interviews this time last year in the forum/acceptance list...trying to decide whether I should apply to a few more schools with Jan/Feb deadlnes.

On 1/6/2016 at 5:01 PM, ultraultra said:

I have heard that among Ohio State/Rochester/NYU, one or two of them give(s) out interviews. Are you getting the interview from one of them? 

Edited by shane94

On 2015/12/27 at 10:18 AM, cgfren08 said:

Thanks for the nice comment. I posted the numbers because everyone else is, but I strongly suspect they're the least important part of the application when compared with other qualitative factors. I started my studies at community college and had to send those transcripts too... am picturing a bunch of fancy professors scoffing at my humble beginnings :P 

More importantly: Interviews? :o Maybe if those getting interviews were worried about publicly posting they could post them anonymously to the gradcafe survey?

Hi All.

Applicant from the Scotland here! Anxiously refreshing my emails all day every day despite knowing we shouldn't be hearing anything for a while.

Very impressed by high GRE scores and GPAs people have posted on here! I'm somewhere around the middle I think V162(90%) Q158 (48%) and AW5.0(93%). Hoping my V and AW will compensate for Q score.
GPA not sure, as the US systems are pretty different to the UK, have an A average for both undergrad and MA though. 

Research experience= little to none apart from my own thesis work.

I'v applied to NYU, UVA, Penn State, UCSD and Toronto in the US and Canada. If anyone hears anything from these schools do please say! Not too sure what my chances are but would really like to do ANY one of these programmes! 

In the UK I've applied to Manchester, London School of Economics and Kings College. Have offers from Manchester and Kings College but no funding offers come out until the 25th of March. 

This Slate article on the admissions policies within top US universities -- published yesterday -- is probably of interest to some of us. The stuff about diversity and GRE scores is particularly sobering: "The Secret Lives of Ph.D. Committees: A new book shows the stark realities of how graduate admissions get made.

Edited by ultraultra
elaboration

1 hour ago, ultraultra said:

This Slate article on the admissions policies within top US universities -- published yesterday -- is probably of interest to some of us. The stuff about diversity and GRE scores is particularly sobering: "The Secret Lives of Ph.D. Committees: A new book shows the stark realities of how graduate admissions get made.

You linked to this thread. :)

Full original article at Inside Higher Ed: https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2016/01/06/new-book-reveals-how-elite-phd-admissions-committees-review-candidates