Welcome to the 2015-2016 Cycle!

Some thoughts on how to bullwhip a referee who isnt working as hard as you would want them too, even after you obtained prior consent from them? Why people are the way they are. My damn referee didnt submit letter till now at GW. Why did i waste 100 dollars, i regret it. 

I understand you're frustrated, but that's a pretty disrespectful way to talk about people who are putting in a bunch of free time/labour to help you with your goals.....

All you can/should do is send gentle and friendly reminders, and (if applicable) next time, pick referees who you know to be timely. 

4 minutes ago, ultraultra said:

I understand you're frustrated, but that's a pretty disrespectful way to talk about people who are putting in a bunch of free time/labour to help you with your goals.....

All you can/should do is send gentle and friendly reminders, and (if applicable) next time, pick referees who you know to be timely. 

To echo ultraultra's words, I would say, it's also more strategic and making much more sense to pick someone who is willing to take that 2 hours from his/her busy schedule and to write and upload the letters for you. ;) Sometimes self-reflection is more important  (and helpful) than blaming on your recommender. Good luck on your other schools, yaisr ;) 

Yeah you people are right in principle. I should learn to cope with my loss. News for stony brook, anyone? 

Your view on this: If one's application is missing only a referees recommendation, then would university send you a reminder to complete it or would go ahead and make their admission just the same?

36 minutes ago, yasir8959 said:

Yeah you people are right in principle. I should learn to cope with my loss. News for stony brook, anyone? 

Your view on this: If one's application is missing only a referees recommendation, then would university send you a reminder to complete it or would go ahead and make their admission just the same?

When one of my letters was missing, I did get a reminder from the school. But in principle, I was told, if only one letter is missing, schools will basically make the decision based on 2 letters rather than dump your application.

9 hours ago, shane94 said:

From the survey page, someone said that he/she was recommended for admission at OSU -- and it was on the school application website (although there was no email). Congrats to those who got recommended/admitted! 

Odd, but I checked the website as well, and I got admitted too!!

12 minutes ago, studugarte said:

Congrats to all the OSU admits so far! Still not heard from any of my US/Canadian options yet but not expecting anything this early (despite checking my email with more than average enthusiasm!) 

From past years, you'll likely hear from NYU, UCSD, and Penn State in the first week of February. UVA appears to release decisions in clusters throughout February and Toronto doesn't make decisions until March.

Big congratulations for your OSU acceptances, PizzaCat93 and Determinedandnervous! (I am also "still pending," Syas.)

I'm one of the Illinois Urbana-Champaign interviews. Spoke to the POI today and was told I would be recommended for admission. It is a huge relief to receive that first acceptance, as expected.

Good luck again to all.

3 hours ago, elwright said:

Big congratulations for your OSU acceptances, PizzaCat93 and Determinedandnervous! (I am also "still pending," Syas.)

I'm one of the Illinois Urbana-Champaign interviews. Spoke to the POI today and was told I would be recommended for admission. It is a huge relief to receive that first acceptance, as expected.

Good luck again to all.

What does your apply yourself app thing say for Illinois? Mine just says submitted and shows that my LoRs were submitted. I'm worried about this because other programs who use this software update it when documents are received and they also change the status from "submitted" to "completed"  

13 minutes ago, Straightoutta said:

So are we expecting Duke and Berkeley decisions to be out next week? Possibly some calls for interviews from Vanderbilt?

Duke and WashU -- very likely

Berkeley and Chicago -- likely, but we are not sure

15 minutes ago, Moofasa said:

What does your apply yourself app thing say for Illinois? Mine just says submitted and shows that my LoRs were submitted. I'm worried about this because other programs who use this software update it when documents are received and they also change the status from "submitted" to "completed"  

As long as your LoRs, GRE scores, and official transcript (some schools (i.e. Michigan, WashU) want it; most don't) are shown to be received, I am pretty sure your application is completed and will be reviewed even though it takes days for the system to change from "submitted" to "completed". 

4 minutes ago, shane94 said:

As long as your LoRs, GRE scores, and official transcript (some schools (i.e. Michigan, WashU) want it; most don't) are shown to be received, I am pretty sure your application is completed and will be reviewed even though it takes days for the system to change from "submitted" to "completed". 

It doesn't show that my GREs or Transcripts were received, but I sent them. 

10 minutes ago, Moofasa said:

It doesn't show that my GREs or Transcripts were received, but I sent them. 

I will freak out only if the status does not change 10 business days after I submit my application. If that's the case, you probably should contact the department assistant... 

1 hour ago, Moofasa said:

Still says submitted. I was told it would be about a week before I would receive an emailed formal acceptance, graduate school willing.

RE: OSU, to draw out the suspense — I'm now getting a log-in error for their applicant center. :P