Welcome to the 2015-2016 Cycle!

Thanks for sharing the article, I had always assumed that most schools would have some kind of (unofficial) cut off because as the text says there are a lot of us. 

I really think think that it also comes down to finding a good match between professors' interests and those of candidates. Whether or not that's a possible thing, at least in my own case, I'm not too sure! 

That book won't be that insightful to us because it's too general (by trying to cover all top graduate departments in the analysis). Graduate admissions, different from undergrad admissions, really depend on each department's own philosophy -- trying to generalize one field (or graduate schools) in general, in my opinion, is a really bad idea, almost as bad as submitting one same SoP to every school you are applying to. 

Edited by shane94

7 hours ago, shane94 said:

That book won't be that insightful to us because it's too general (by trying to cover all top graduate departments in the analysis). Graduate admissions, different from undergrad admissions, really depend on each department's own philosophy -- trying to generalize one field (or graduate schools) in general, in my opinion, is a really bad idea, almost as bad as submitting one same SoP to every school you are applying to. 

That's not a fair assessment. While I think it's important not to take the book as gospel, it does shine a light into how admissions work on (elite) PhD committees. 

Also, fields and departments, although not uniform, do share similarities and overlaps as they relate to admission processes. 

It seems like someone has already gotten in UIUC.

I am pretty sure that none of the schools that I have applied to will release its result until 1/29 tho. Congrats to the people who got into UIUC!

34 minutes ago, Moofasa said:

It seems weird that UIUC sent out acceptances on the 7th. Their application due date was January 1st. 

They've probably been reviewing applications on a rolling basis and are making offers to their top candidates first

In 2014 the first contact was 1/14, in 2012 it was 1/12. They appear to be one of a handful of programs to have a two-week turnaround. Regardless, haven't heard yet myself.

7 hours ago, Determinedandnervous said:

I would venture to guess that if that's what happened, it is a rare case. The results page doesn't have any cases like it for past years.

My feeling is that most school started reviewing the materials starting from last week, and if (1) you have mentioned a particular professor in your SoP, (2) s/he likes you a ton, (3) both the school and your POI have the funding to feed you for 5 years, then you will receive a call from the professor and get an "informal offer." So UIUC applicants should definitely not panic. However, in terms of OSU, I think the chance of one getting admitted without receiving any interview until now is not high. I haven't applied to either UIUC or OSU -- so my guess based on rumors and observations can be completely wrong! ;)

Edited by shane94

4 hours ago, shane94 said:

However, in terms of OSU, I think the chance of one getting admitted without receiving any interview until now is not high. I haven't applied to either UIUC or OSU -- so my guess based on rumors and observations can be completely wrong! ;)

I didn't apply to OSU but this is contradicted by BFB (the grad director at OSU) in the Faculty Perspectives thread: "[Not getting an interview] either means that you're not in the running or that you are in the running but the person given your file doesn't feel the need to call you. I get some "This person's great, I don't need to call to tell that." I also get some people who simply don't like making calls. It could also mean that the person given the file doesn't have time to call (this year, unfortunately, our call period overlaps the SPSA meeting... in Puerto Rico."

I think this serves as a good reminder to all of us during this stressful time that this process can be super idiosyncratic and is truly a black box! I got psyched out about admission to a particular MA program last year, based on grad cafe members hearing back earlier than me, when it turned out they were just finalizing documents for my fellowship before contacting me (the program is unfunded for most students). So, at least this early in the game, my philosophy is basically "no news is no news," not "no news is bad news."  

14 minutes ago, ultraultra said:

I didn't apply to OSU but this is contradicted by BFB (the grad director at OSU) in the Faculty Perspectives thread: "[Not getting an interview] either means that you're not in the running or that you are in the running but the person given your file doesn't feel the need to call you. I get some "This person's great, I don't need to call to tell that." I also get some people who simply don't like making calls. It could also mean that the person given the file doesn't have time to call (this year, unfortunately, our call period overlaps the SPSA meeting... in Puerto Rico."

I think this serves as a good reminder to all of us during this stressful time that this process can be super idiosyncratic and is truly a black box! I got psyched out about admission to a particular MA program last year, based on grad cafe members hearing back earlier than me, when it turned out they were just finalizing documents for my fellowship before contacting me (the program is unfunded for most students). So, at least this early in the game, my philosophy is basically "no news is no news," not "no news is bad news."  

Fair enough. I just did a guess simply because a few people said they got interviews, and all their feedback seem to be really positive. But anyways.  

On January 12, 2016 at 6:00 PM, shane94 said:

It seems like someone has already gotten in UIUC.

I am pretty sure that none of the schools that I have applied to will release its result until 1/29 tho. Congrats to the people who got into UIUC!

That was me! Lol. I don't know if they sent out any other acceptances or not, but basically I was told that my file was looked at among the first group because my undergrad institution just hired one of their PhDs a couple weeks ago. They then evaluated my app and liked it enough. I should point out that they were trying to fill more spots this year for the major area I applied to because there was a shortage in that area for the last two years. I'd be willing to bet that they're trying to admit people who are very likely to attend as well. My SOP pointed out a very niche methods topic in which UIUC has 3 experienced professors publishing, so I am most likely going to attend because of this. 

Hi i got skype interview tomorrow from university. Hey tell me guys what to expect? Type of questions etc? Please please please help. First interview ever. Really stressed. 

2 hours ago, yasir8959 said:

Hi i got skype interview tomorrow from university. Hey tell me guys what to expect? Type of questions etc? Please please please help. First interview ever. Really stressed. 

What school? If you indicated that you want to work with some professors in your SoP, read their papers again.

Has anyone else been totally psyching themselves out over the process? I haven't even gotten one admissions decision back yet and I am already thinking about the weaknesses of my file/SOP and what I have to do to strengthen it by next cycle.

Edited by Determinedandnervous

54 minutes ago, Determinedandnervous said:

Has anyone else been totally psyching themselves out over the process? I haven't even gotten one admissions decision back yet and I am already thinking about the weaknesses of my file/SOP and what I have to do to strengthen it by next cycle.

Yep, I can commiserate. The period before any decisions is the worst — but it's a relatively short wait that only feels like eternity. 

1 hour ago, Determinedandnervous said:

I can definitely relate, but remember that decisions this early are rare. 

2 hours ago, Determinedandnervous said:

I am in a similar situation like yours, but I think that it is too early to begin worrying about the process. Given your enthusiasm, I would be surprised if you did not make a successful cycle.

3 hours ago, Determinedandnervous said:

I had other things to worry about. Did my bit and knew it was good enough.

4 hours ago, Determinedandnervous said:

I managed to stop myself from opening up my application documents and re-reading what I submitted the other day, if only because I know that there are small issues here and there that I wish I could change now looking at it with fresh eyes. I mentioned this to one of my professors the other day and he said to prevent myself from doing such a thing at all costs. As I'm on the home stretch of finishing my MA, I fully intend to let my work distract me which shouldn't be hard. My to-do keeps growing and growing. x_x