HGSE 2016

aina7

On ‎11‎/‎6‎/‎2015‎ ‎10‎:‎09‎:‎35‎, Shlee467 said:

Wish I could!  I'm in the process of drafting my personal statement, the last and most important thing I still have to do for the app.  Eeeks.  

19 hours ago, HRK1011 said:

I can't go, but I'd really love and appreciate any observations you can share!

I'm flying/traveling most of the day today, but I'll post my thoughts/reflections/insights from the open house when I get settled back home tonight.

Just took the GRE today! (jeez, what a ridiculously high-security process... I was not allowed to remove my sweatshirt during testing if I got hot because it was a 'security breach'?)

So here's me...

Program: International Education Policy (IEP) Masters
GRE Score: V 161, Q 155, AWA: TBD, but I felt confident about it today? 
GPA: Undergrad 3.69 (why can't my transcript just round this up to 3.7, I don't know!), Grad: 4.0
Work Experience: My work experience is limited to 3 years teaching inner-city math since college at different New York City charter schools, focusing on closing the achievement gap.  I have also served as a special education teacher.
Undergrad Institution (Public, Private, Ivy, etc..): Ivy sister school
Research Experience: Awarded a grant to conduct thesis research abroad at Oxford on the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, studied in Spain and received certification for TESL, received a fellowship in which I researched and co-authored with a professor an English curriculum for immigrant youth, which I presented at the National Association of Multicultural Education Conference (was the only undergrad there, other scholars were professors/education policymakers).  I also am currently completing an MS.Ed in Literacy.
What Other Schools Are You Applying To: UPenn IEDP, TC IED, NYU IE

I hope my lack of international policy work experience will not be a major deterrent to the admissions committee.  I believe I can articulate the origins of my passion for IEP, my goals, and how my undergraduate research experiences prepare me for this.  My recommendations should be strong, particularly from my former advisor who holds an EdD in IED from TC... wow that's a lot of abbreviated jargon!).

What do you guys think?  I think my GRE scores/GPA are average or good enough (especially GPA coming from a prestigious institution, and also when they look at my transcript they will see that if not for my first semester freshman year, I would have a 3.9 :rolleyes:)  I think all things considered, it will come down to my SoP.

Edited by HRK1011

Hey folks. Got delayed a bit on my flights back, so getting to this later than I thought I would (but still wanted to deliver as promised before heading to bed).

Just to up front, the breakout sessions I went to were the ones for applicants applying to the PhD program, so a few details might be more focused towards that. But the rest came from general sessions where everyone was in attendance. Any others that were there (as well as some of the HGSE alumni that are already involved in this thread), please fill in any blanks I may have.

Admissions

Admissions wound up speaking to us a couple of times during the day. They highlighted many of the centers/programs/projects affiliated with HGSE (such as Project Zero, The Center on the Developing Child, Center for Education Policy Research, etc.). The noted several times that students are encouraged to seek out places to get involved (both on and off campus), but that it is on the student to show the initiative for this. They noted that HGSE students are not afraid to have difficult conversations, be it with one another, with faculty, or with others. A question they posed to us (and repeated by others in one form or another throughout the day) was: What brings you here today? This was posed more than once throughout the day. In the end, the Admissions Office is there to help us as prospective students make a good, informed decision as we apply and (hopefully) decide where to go for graduate school.

In your Statement of Purpose (SOP), make sure to touch on things like: (note, ones in italics are from the PhD breakout session)

• Describe your trajectory up until this point (personal, academic and/or intellectual)
  • Demonstrate that you're a good "fit" for HGSE
  • Do NOT re-hash your resume (but you may mention parts of it as needed while telling your story)
  • Revise, revise, revise
  • Have people read it and offer advice BEFORE you submit it
  • Weave together a narrative
  • What kind of researcher do you want to be?
  • Talk about the questions you have, and how HGSE can help you answer those questions

For your Letters of Recommendation: Make sure the writers:

• Are people that know you well
  • Are able to address professional and/or academic abilities (and should have at least one covering each area)

For the PhD applicants, it was mentioned to look at professors in the three tracks to help you determine which track to apply to. Have a idea/question you're passionate about, and be able to explain WHY you're passionate about it. Convey a sense of being a researcher who has an open mind. Be able to show you know what a research question looks like. The PhD application is due before the other application (Dec 1st at 5:00pm EST). Invited candidates will be interviewed via Skype around late January.

Faculty

Dr. Stephanie Jones, Dr. Gigi Luk, and Dr. Martin West spoke to us to give their perspectives regarding HGSE. All three commented how research is integrated into most courses they teach. They noted that faculty are quite easy to meet with and excited to have students get involved in their projects/research. However, the student must take the initiative to get involved. Faculty are supportive and willing to assist students in undertaking independent study of a topic. The teaching is very dynamic, to the point one faculty member noted: "It isn't the same course every year". Students are encouraged to make their viewpoint known in class, even if it differs from the views of the faculty member and/or other students.

Students

Many, many students talked with us throughout the day. Among the quote/tidbits of advice I heard from them are:

• "Faculty are interested in finding out what students are interested in and what they want to explore"
  • "You'll have lots and lots of opportunities to learn outside the classroom"
  • Try to find faculty that share your interest early on in your time here
  • "I was surprised to have to learn how to say 'no' due to all the opportunities"
  • Surprised how much is learned from peers in classes
  • There is no typical day at HGSE
  • "The PhD cohort is both my personal hangout and my professional hangout"

Financial Aid

Much of the financial aid information can be found on their website (www.gse.harvard.edu/financialaid). One thing to note: you'll be putting in your financial aid application BEFORE you know if you've been accepted to HGSE. The HGSE financial aid application is due Feb 12, 2016, and the 2016-2017 FAFSA will need to be in by Feb 26, 2016.

Alumni

Masters and doctoral alumni spoke about their time at HGSE. Key points that they mentioned included:

• HGSE helped me find my place in the world
  • It changed how I though about the world
  • I now ask "What is the real problem here?" when examining a situation
  • I learned how to really learn
  • The alumni network is incredible
  • Faculty are good about discussing practice, research, and policy in their classes

Thank you SO much for such a thorough and clear overview of your day!!  Sounds like it was powerful and productive experience.

I have a question about "do NOT rehash your resume."  Of course this makes sense to me, and you said you can still mention parts of it while telling your story.  I'm still trying to figure out what the balance/fine line is on this.  There are elements of my resume that may seem unremarkable but they were formative moments in my trajectory to now.  I want to focus on these moments in how they shape my desire to apply to HGSE.  Do you think the admissions committee will see this as "rehashing" or recognize the difference between just "showing off or listing" what's on there vs. re-telling it with a deeper purpose?  It seems like a really tricky, nuanced difference!

2 hours ago, HRK1011 said:

Thank you SO much for such a thorough and clear overview of your day!!  Sounds like it was powerful and productive experience.

I have a question about "do NOT rehash your resume."  Of course this makes sense to me, and you said you can still mention parts of it while telling your story.  I'm still trying to figure out what the balance/fine line is on this.  There are elements of my resume that may seem unremarkable but they were formative moments in my trajectory to now.  I want to focus on these moments in how they shape my desire to apply to HGSE.  Do you think the admissions committee will see this as "rehashing" or recognize the difference between just "showing off or listing" what's on there vs. re-telling it with a deeper purpose?  It seems like a really tricky, nuanced difference!

I've stewed on this too, as there are portions of my resume I am planning to discuss in my SOP. After the open house, I plan to highlight a lot of the why/how these events brought me to the field of education, why HGSE would help further the process for me, etc. I think your idea of "re-telling it with a deeper purpose" is the way most people go, but that is just my educated guess.

16 minutes ago, mjsmith said:

I've stewed on this too, as there are portions of my resume I am planning to discuss in my SOP. After the open house, I plan to highlight a lot of the why/how these events brought me to the field of education, why HGSE would help further the process for me, etc. I think your idea of "re-telling it with a deeper purpose" is the way most people go, but that is just my educated guess.

Agreed.  It's kind of a catch-22 because the items on your resume should realistically play a huge role in your purpose for applying to school! 

Hi everyone!

Program: Education PhD, CIS Concentration
GRE Score: V 166, Q 156, AWA: 4.5 
GPA: Undergrad- 3.7 total, 3.9 in major
Work Experience: Finished undergrad as a non-traditional student, so I had about 7 years of work experience before going back. In the field, I'm participating in a one year fellowship with an awesome college access nonprofit in Philly. I'm in a high need high school full time, doing workshops, mentoring, college prep, tutoring, and about a million other things.
Undergrad Institution (Public, Private, Ivy, etc..): Private- Seven Sisters
Research Experience: Honors thesis in undergrad, but minimal otherwise.
What Other Schools Are You Applying To: UPenn, Columbia TC, Penn State

I'm hoping that my LOR and SOP are enough to swing the HGSE vote in my direction, but I know that I look like a lot of other applicants. Everything is in and done, and I'm just waiting. Until March. (Ugh.)

Happy to be here, good luck everyone!

Edited by jlt646

4 minutes ago, jlt646 said:

Hi everyone!

Program: Education PhD, CIS Concentration
GRE Score: V 166, Q 156, AWA: 4.5 
GPA: Undergrad- 3.7 total, 3.9 in major
Work Experience: Finished undergrad as a non-traditional student, so I had about 7 years of work experience before going back. In the field, I'm participating in a one year fellowship with an awesome college access nonprofit in Philly. I'm in a high need high school full time, doing workshops, mentoring, college prep, tutoring, and about a million other things.
Undergrad Institution (Public, Private, Ivy, etc..): Private- Seven Sisters
Research Experience: Honors thesis in undergrad, but minimal otherwise.
What Other Schools Are You Applying To: UPenn, Columbia TC, Penn State

I'm hoping that my LOR and SOP are enough to swing the HGSE vote in my direction, but I know that I look like a lot of other applicants. Everything is in and done, and I'm just waiting. Until March. (Ugh.)

Happy to be here, good luck everyone!

Which Seven Sister school did you attend? I went to Vassar :) (OK, we have men now...)

Best of luck to you!  Jealous that everything is in and done, I'm hoping to have it all submitted by early December.  Still have to get up the nerve to actually write my SOP.  I just have like 9 pages of random ideas and notes!

1 minute ago, HRK1011 said:

Which Seven Sister school did you attend? I went to Vassar :) (OK, we have men now...)

Best of luck to you!  Jealous that everything is in and done, I'm hoping to have it all submitted by early December.  Still have to get up the nerve to actually write my SOP.  I just have like 9 pages of random ideas and notes!

I went to Bryn Mawr! Better dead than co-ed. :D No, no- Vassar is an excellent place. I'm from that area of NY originally, and I miss it all the time. Good luck with your SOP! It was the hardest part of my applications, for sure. To call the process of writing it akin to a bloodletting would be an understatement- and I was an English major!

4 minutes ago, jlt646 said:

I went to Bryn Mawr! Better dead than co-ed. :D No, no- Vassar is an excellent place. I'm from that area of NY originally, and I miss it all the time. Good luck with your SOP! It was the hardest part of my applications, for sure. To call the process of writing it akin to a bloodletting would be an understatement- and I was an English major!

Awesome!  Yes, the Hudson Valley in the fall is to die for!  (Missed it this year :(

Well, it seems like HGSE cares more about the SOP than many places.  Everything I've heard, they consider applications "holistically" aka who cares what your numbers are, tell us what you stand for.  So I really do feel like I can win or lose this admissions game based on my SOP.  Given that my GPA/GRE/experience is probably no worse and no better than anyone else's (average), it's really what it comes down to.  But if you turned phrases like "akin to a bloodletting" in your SOP, I'm sure it was top notch! :P 

I'm also eagerly awaiting my AWA score for the GRE because they've said that's the statistic they value highest in the application.  If I can get a 5 or higher I will feel much better :)

Edited by HRK1011

Hey folks. Time for me to be brave and post my stats here.  Here it goes......

Program: Education PhD, HDLT Concentration
GRE Score: V 159, Q 156, AWA: 4.0
GPA: Undergrad - 3.2    Previous Grad Degree - 3.2    Current Grad Degree - 3.6 (Still in progress)
Work Experience: Worked for several years in clinical medical research (ironically, mostly in hospitals attached to medical schools). After making the jump to education, worked for a year as an editorial assistant for an academic journal in higher education. Currently work as a research assistant for the Dept. of Ed. Leadership on campus.
Institutions (Public, Private, Ivy, etc..): Undergrad: Public    Previous Grad School: Private    Current Grad School: Public (different institution than undergrad)
Research Experience: As noted above, previous work in clinical medical research as well as current position as a research assistant. Honors distinction for thesis from previous masters degree. Two conference presentations at a higher education conference. One presentation accepted for another higher education conference this upcoming Spring.
What Other Schools Are You Applying To: Penn State, Florida State, may add one more out of Georgia, Boston College, or Michigan State.

Like a lot of folks here, I'm hoping for the SOP and LOR's to nudge things in my favor at HGSE. I feel my research experience and recent coursework trend will (hopefully) offset my more lackluster grades from the past. Finishing up my SOP with the goal to have everything in by the end of this week.

Edited by mjsmith

8 hours ago, Huskyboy2015 said:

Hello everyone ! I plan on applying for Ed.M program at HGSE for fall 2016 acceptance. Taking my GRE's on 30th. I looked up acceptance rates for HGSE on Peterson's: The link is below:

HGSE

It says 50% accepted. Any thoughts?? 

My guess is this is a little high, and varies greatly by program.  Also, 50% sounds high, but Harvard grad school applicants are a self-selecting pool, so I'm going to keep in mind that the 50% who were rejected were likely very or somewhat qualified in their own right.

Just trying not to get my hopes up too high, which I'm already doing in my mind :)  

That being said, unlike some graduate schools, HGSE does not have a "cap" on the number of students they can take.  So, in theory, if they think you are a fit for the school, they will have a seat for you.  They don't have to deny anyone they think is qualified because they don't have room, which is definitely a consideration Harvard and other schools have to take for undergrads.

Woooo I just got my writing score from my first and only GRE test on November 7... got a 5.5!!! (98th percentile)  I know HGSE looks at apps holistically, but they did say they value the writing section the most, so this is very encouraging for me! :)   Although some say this won't make a difference unless I got below a 4, but I like to believe it helps my chances a little?

Edited by HRK1011

8 hours ago, HRK1011 said:

Woooo I just got my writing score from my first and only GRE test on November 7... got a 5.5!!! (98th percentile)  I know HGSE looks at apps holistically, but they did say they value the writing section the most, so this is very encouraging for me! :)   Although some say this won't make a difference unless I got below a 4, but I like to believe it helps my chances a little?

Congrats on the score, HRK1011!

On 11/17/2015, 8:02:39, HRK1011 said:

Congratulations! That's wonderful!

I just got my AW score and it was 4.5. I'm pretty disappointed about it because writing is usually my strong suit. I'm not surprised because I found the issue prompt to be rather difficult, but still. 

On 11/17/2015, 8:02:39, HRK1011 said:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just got my AW score and it was 4.5. I'm pretty disappointed about it because writing is usually my strong suit. I'm not surprised because I found the issue prompt to be rather difficult, but still. 

Hey guys,

I'm one of those people that desperately needs a deadline to start working. So, I was wondering if anyone would be willing to trade SOP with me. I think having a deadline to trade SOP with someone would finally get to put my many ideas on paper--which needs to happen ASAP. I promise I'll be just as harsh as you need me to be. Plus, I used to work at my college's admissions office providing help to low-income students applying to college so I have a lot of experience editing personal statements--obviously it's not the same a grad school SOP but a lot of the elements are similar.

Best,

KS

51 minutes ago, KaySsaem said:

Thanks!  Well, 4.5 is the target average score they are looking for, so I wouldn't worry at all about that! :)  It is still above average and it won't turn them off of you in the slightest, which is basically the only thing the GRE probably does for you either way.  Anyway, you seem to have a fully balanced repertoire under your belt in terms of academics/work/other scores, so it's going to be a non-factor!  

Those GRE prompts are all ridiculously broad and intentionally vague.  I found most of the possible topics infuriating and NOT representative of an essay you would have to write in grad school, but I guess they can't get too specific because it's such a broad range of students taking the test.  I guess it's "illegal" to discuss the question itself, or else I'd ask you out of curiosity what the prompt was ;).  Also, 30 minutes is a stressful amount of time to write a fully coherent essay.  I was speed-reading it at the end and time ran out, so I just prayed I didn't miss any glaring mistakes.

Edited by HRK1011

2 hours ago, Heather1011 said:

Thanks!  Well, 4.5 is the target average score they are looking for, so I wouldn't worry at all about that! :)  It is still above average and it won't turn them off of you in the slightest, which is basically the only thing the GRE probably does for you either way.  Anyway, you seem to have a fully balanced repertoire under your belt in terms of academics/work/other scores, so it's going to be a non-factor!  

Those GRE prompts are all ridiculously broad and intentionally vague.  I found most of the possible topics infuriating and NOT representative of an essay you would have to write in grad school, but I guess they can't get too specific because it's such a broad range of students taking the test.  I guess it's "illegal" to discuss the question itself, or else I'd ask you out of curiosity what the prompt was ;).  Also, 30 minutes is a stressful amount of time to write a fully coherent essay.  I was speed-reading it at the end and time ran out, so I just prayed I didn't miss any glaring mistakes.

Thanks for the support. I know it's pretty silly that I am upset about this--just the fact that I am in the position to even consider applying to HGSE demonstrates that I've been pretty academically privileged. 

Still a bit upset though...Oh well.

Notes from the Education Policy and Management Ed.M Virtual Info Session if anyone is interested:

• Personal statement is by far the most important part of the application-> It needs to be personal and answer the question "Why do you specifically need to be at HGSE/specific program --not just any Ed school/program?"
  • There are is no formalized process to pursue research. Many students do research through internships/field placements or working with professor (some as work-study)
  • Have access to all of Harvard Univeristy, not just the resources of the Ed school, common to cross-register (especially with Kennedy School, Business School and Law School)
  • Field placements are common and count for credit 
  • Current top need-based grant is $14K, number for next year TBD

35 minutes ago, KaySsaem said:

Notes from the Education Policy and Management Ed.M Virtual Info Session if anyone is interested:

• Personal statement is by far the most important part of the application-> It needs to be personal and answer the question "Why do you specifically need to be at HGSE/specific program --not just any Ed school/program?"
  • There are is no formalized process to pursue research. Many students do research through internships/field placements or working with professor (some as work-study)
  • Have access to all of Harvard Univeristy, not just the resources of the Ed school, common to cross-register (especially with Kennedy School, Business School and Law School)
  • Field placements are common and count for credit 
  • Current top need-based grant is $14K, number for next year TBD

I wonder how need-based is determined.  Obviously the FAFSA, but I'm really just wondering more broadly how this works.  Obviously most of us will not be working while we are in school.  Is need then determined based on how much "savings" you have?  Is there a cap on the number of students who can receive this 14K?

Okay guys,

My official GRE scores are in 154V (63%) 152Q (48%) AW (4.5), considering that all other aspects of my application are solid (i.e. 3.8 gpa, good recommendations and experience, solid SOP), how much of a drag do you guys think my low GRE scores will be? I know what the GRE is just a small aspect of the app, but I don't think I've come across anyone in the forum getting in with these low GRE scores:(

Based on what I have read so far,SOP is the main thing. You said you have a solid SOP (don't know what is a solid SOP) and good GPA etc you should be in good shape. With a 50% acceptance rate you need not worry. GRE is only part of the profile and they cannot judge your whole candidacy on a 3 hr test, AWA and verbal is what they care a little about.

Edited by Huskyboy2015
typo

5 hours ago, dkh2121 said:

Okay guys,

My official GRE scores are in 154V (63%) 152Q (48%) AW (4.5), considering that all other aspects of my application are solid (i.e. 3.8 gpa, good recommendations and experience, solid SOP), how much of a drag do you guys think my low GRE scores will be? I know what the GRE is just a small aspect of the app, but I don't think I've come across anyone in the forum getting in with these low GRE scores:(

I also think that gradcafe doesn't represent all of the applicants/admitted students (in fact, a small percentage), and people post GRE more often when they feel somewhat confident about it (as I did), so I wouldn't compare yourself too much to the admitted students you see on here.  Your writing score is average for HGSE students and that is the section they value most, so you should feel confident about that.  If your experience and goals translate well into your SOP, I see no reason you don't stand as good a chance as any.

Also, I've also read people on this forum in past years getting rejected with spectacular scores, so clearly, scores really aren't everything.

Edited by Heather1011